RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finalized the details of my scholarship today. Money should appear in my student account soon! :D

Also, my first three vet school anatomy quizzes went very well, I think. :)

And congrats on the test, cowgirla and lisserae! :woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my physiology test today was very hard (class consensus), but I aced my histo test! Anatomy's next...bring it on :D

Only three more days until I go back to my university town. Then, I won't have to deal with my nagging, mean mother making me feel guilty, inconsiderate and stupid until CHRISTMAS. :soexcited:

I'm so excited I could drink.

I have one of those, last time I saw her was pleasant, but I still haven't gotten over the time before when I got a speech about how I needed to have a boyfriend to help me around the house so my dad wouldn't do it (on his own accord, because I don't ask him) and why can't I be happy with the job I have now instead of retaking classes I passed 8 years ago in order to go to vet school? Sorry I didn't get married at 17 and never had to work for anything o_O

It certainly makes you stronger :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one of those, last time I saw her was pleasant, but I still haven't gotten over the time before when I got a speech about how I needed to have a boyfriend to help me around the house so my dad wouldn't do it (on his own accord, because I don't ask him) and why can't I be happy with the job I have now instead of retaking classes I passed 8 years ago in order to go to vet school? Sorry I didn't get married at 17 and never had to work for anything o_O

It certainly makes you stronger :laugh:

I never understood parents like that. I have been very fortunate to have very supportive parents. They understand my dream and they have been doing everything in their power to help me succeed. My aunt, on the other hand, has no faith in her daughter (my cousin). I saw them earlier this year and she kept talking about how my cousin wants to be a CNA but won't be able to do the classes and she isn't willing to help her out with the $300 enrollment fee. My dad offered to pay for the class if she gets into it, but my aunt has just gotten inside my cousin's head and now she thinks that she can't do it. It makes me so angry. I wish I lived closer to her so I could talk to her.

edit: oh, and now my cousin's dating this guy and my aunt is so excited because my cousin could someday end up marrying him. She's only 20 years old! Back off! Let her live! I think it has a lot to do with what parents themselves did. People whose parents married early tend to marry early. My parents were married at almost 30 and I'm 23 now with no urge to get married in the near future.

Last edited:
I never understood parents like that. I have been very fortunate to have very supportive parents. They understand my dream and they have been doing everything in their power to help me succeed. My aunt, on the other hand, has no faith in her daughter (my cousin). I saw them earlier this year and she kept talking about how my cousin wants to be a CNA but won't be able to do the classes and she isn't willing to help her out with the $300 enrollment fee. My dad offered to pay for the class if she gets into it, but my aunt has just gotten inside my cousin's head and now she thinks that she can't do it. It makes me so angry. I wish I lived closer to her so I could talk to her.

edit: oh, and now my cousin's dating this guy and my aunt is so excited because my cousin could someday end up marrying him. She's only 20 years old! Back off! Let her live! I think it has a lot to do with what parents themselves did. People whose parents married early tend to marry early. My parents were married at almost 30 and I'm 23 now with no urge to get married in the near future.

I think it might be a generation thing. I'm 20 myself, but seven of my friends are married (well, two are divorced now, one with a little girl) and five of them have kids. Most of them (three of the five) aren't married.

I don't know if their parents married earlier, but man it ticks me off (in some ways I'm a traditionalist). I've worked with young kids for 5 and a half years and I know some people play with them for a little bit and are all "Oh, they're so cute! I want one! I wanna be a momma!" without actually understanding the insane time commitment children take.

And my rave: My work-study professor is like the most awesome person ever. :laugh: She's crazy and absentminded and just awesome. Can't believe I get paid to work for her.

Oh, and mindless, boring filing/grading/whatever is fantastic and an awesome stress relief. Better than exercise. :love:

Ok I absolutely have to RAVE about the fantastic day I had, and all my housemates are asleep or out or wouldn't get it anyway. So, I used to breed goats but had to sell them all to move here. Today I went and looked at a five acre block and it is simply AMAZING! Close to my house and the city, and my work. Great mix of pasture and bushy scrub so the goats can browse :) great huge old shelter trees. Subdivided into ten small paddocks perfect for rotational grazing. Three WIWO stables for my maternity ward. Two sheds, one of which has a concrete floor so it will be my milk shed. Lovely landlord, cheap rent, oh its also irrigated. Absolutely perfect. The catch? The fences are all falling down but other than that i'm HAPPY. Actually I dont think there even exists a word to describe how I am feeling right now. Fantastically stupendously amazingly EXSTATIC! AND if that wasn't good enough, i've found some goats advertised about half an hour away, perfect price. Hopefully I can go see them tomorrow! Man oh man I am excited and just so f ing HAPPY!

one of my photos took second in a photo contest!!!!!!!
This is the one:)

DSC_0391.jpg

My husband (the self professed dog-disliker) fell in love with a chihuahua this weekend and I think it's staying...

see RANT HERE post

Visit to Philly Zoo as part of our anatomy class....

Wow it was nice to be away from biochem et al for an afternoon and the Philly Zoo is pretty nice for an urban zoo (not to mention it is the oldest zoo in America).

Hard not to want to be a zoo vet at least a little at least for a day!

I have been going to the sale barn every Wednesday for the past 6 weeks. Recently, I began helping move the cattle into the chute. Today, they put me on the computer and taught me how to enter data. And then...

...I palpated a pregnant cow!!! <---so excited to tell someone... I couldn't not smile when I was done.

And that's how I know I want to go into vet med.

I don't post in here all that consistently, so I don't know if any of you have been following my apply-this-year/apply-next-year dilemma. I've gone back and forth about 10 times, and as of a week ago I was deadset that I was going to wait another year.
I went to Tufts open house last weekend and absolutely fell in love with the school (much moreso than Penn, which is my IS school). I was thinking Colorado State might've been my other top choice, and while it probably is a nice school, it seems like Tufts has everything that I'm looking for (lots of opportunities for international vet med, dual degree MPH program, rural campus), so if I got in there, I would go there without a doubt. The Tufts admissions woman said that I was a competitive applicant with great and varied experiences (vs. the admissions woman at Penn who basically told me to go work at a small animal private practice some more, b/c I didn't have enough responsibilities at my last job as a vet assistant...harumph). And I found out that Tufts application isn't due til Nov 1, which gives me 2 months to complete it. The extra time to complete the application was a clincher, so I decided I'm going to apply to only Tufts this year, mostly with a "this is a practice round" mentality, but if I get in, I will be thrilled to go. If I don't get in, it won't be the end of the world, and I'll apply to a bunch of schools in addition to Tufts next year like originally planned.

But I am really confident and excited about my decision to apply to Tufts, so I know this is the right decision.

Also, I decided at the last minute to sit in on a graduate level Intro to Public Health class last week, and I absolutely loved it. Even better is that I was able to get officially registered in the class.

I just submitted my VMCAS application this morning, feel really confident about my personal statement, got out my GRE scores and transcripts to all eight schools, and will have enough time to finish my supplementals this weekend!

I can't believe it's all coming together so quickly!
:):):):):):)

So incredibly happy and excited, my ranting from the last week has turned into a huge yay. Don't have to take that extra quarter of ochem that would have been a huge pain and hell to deal with while working full time and not in school. Definitely made my week. :D:D:D
And apps are very close to being in - then no more stressing allowed until we start hearing about interviews in a few months. Ha, yeah right, but less stressing than now or in interview season!

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my evaluators have submitted their elors today! Plus I placed my first catheter this week on my own & on my first shot. This has been a really good week.

I would also like to send a big congrats out to everyone working diligently on their vet school applications (were almost there) and to all of the new vet students on the forum whom seem to have alot going on in school. Keep up the good work everybody!

I went out on calls with my large animal mentor today for the last time this summer. He wanted to talk to me about my plans for the future and everything so he can write me a good, personal, thorough LOR. So after all our calls we went to a little diner and had lunch. I had printed out the most recent revision of my PS, as well as a four-page document I had typed out for him with basically everything the VMCAS asks for, along with my goals.

He wanted nothing to do with it. He said my goals were too vague, so he started asking the tough questions. I thought my head was going to explode trying to come up with answers for him but in the end...I DID. And it was AMAZING. In just this one conversation today I've kind of figured out what direction I want to head when I'm a vet, and it's going to really help my personal statement that I've gotten a lot more specific and goal-oriented. So he told me to take my papers back, update them with what we talked about today, and then bring them back to him tomorrow...so I'm excited that it's all finally starting to fall into place and I have a clearer picture of my "sales pitch" if you will, for vet school.

So I wrote an article about my VIDA trip for the biology newsletter at my university and I'm suddenly famous...

I was just approached by a lab instructor. She's encouraging me to start a pre-vet society or at least try to get the pre-med society to include us because as far as I know, there are 5 of us who want to apply to vet school. So we'll see how that goes... I'm pretty excited!

She also has a student who transferred this year from the agriculture college. The student is freaking out because she thinks that the only way you can be a vet is if you are in the pre-vet program at the agriculture college. So I get to set her straight... and hopefully recruit her to SDN. I LOVE setting people straight!

Makes me wonder though... how many students at the agriculture college truely believe that they have to go there to be a vet? I swear that the recruiter told me I that they have an agreement with the vet school and so many of their students get in each year. That myth was destroyed this year thanks to people on this forum.

This is completely not vet school related but I am so giddy right now that I have to post about it!

I used to work as a lifeguard at a waterpark in the area and each summer we would have a large number of "internationals" come over and work with us. We had people from Bulgaria, Turkey, Finland, Russia, etc... and most of them were amazingly nice and thought my best friend and I were hilarious (which we are). Anyway, my first summer there I had two main crushes, a Bulgarian named Chris and a Turk named Yuksel. Chris still works at the waterpark each summer as a supervisor, but Yuksel went back home to Istanbul and never came back. He and I would correspond through e-mail occasionally, but it became less and less frequent. Anyway, yesterday I was going through old e-mails and found one from him that was adorable so I decided to see if he was on facebook....and HE WAS!!! So now we're friends on facebook and I can continue having a crush on him and pretending like we're going to get married lol.

I know that this doesn't matter to anyone but my best friend, but she's not around so I can't tell her right now and I had to tell someone...or everyone!

"We are like a sandwich, you are the bread and I am the sausage"

She also has a student who transferred this year from the agriculture college. The student is freaking out because she thinks that the only way you can be a vet is if you are in the pre-vet program at the agriculture college. So I get to set her straight... and hopefully recruit her to SDN. I LOVE setting people straight!

Makes me wonder though... how many students at the agriculture college truely believe that they have to go there to be a vet? I swear that the recruiter told me I that they have an agreement with the vet school and so many of their students get in each year. That myth was destroyed this year thanks to people on this forum.

I'm currently a senior at a large university in my state. My state also has a large university with an excellent agricultural program (would've gone there, but my original undergrad major was nursing and my current university had an excellent nursing program). However, my university has a med school associated with it, so pretty much all of the bio majors are pre-med. I finally met someone yesterday in my lab that is pre-vet as well. This will be my 4th year here, and she is the first person that I've met who is also pre-vet.

It's so funny though, because the large ag university has a vet school associated with it, and anytime I talk to any undergrads there and tell them that I'm applying for vet school, they're like, you won't get in because you didn't do your undergrad here. Yea, whatever :rolleyes:

It's so funny though, because the large ag university has a vet school associated with it, and anytime I talk to any undergrads there and tell them that I'm applying for vet school, they're like, you won't get in because you didn't do your undergrad here. Yea, whatever :rolleyes:

Crap, I had a response written out and my internet failed.

I could have sworn the recruiter said that 8 students are chosen from the agriculture college and 8 were chosen from all of the remaining universities in the province but that was disproven. I've also heard that the top 24? students automatically get an interview. It hasn't been disproven, but I think it's false :rolleyes:

During my grade 12 awards ceremony, there were three girls doing the pre-vet program at the agriculture college. They got a standing ovation. I was doing the same program at a different university and I got squat. That belongs in a rant here thread from 3 years ago though :p

I went to an IB program reunion in the middle of my first year. They asked us what we were doing. They said "I'm doing pre-vet at the agriculture college!" I said "I'm doing my bachelor of science at X university, majoring in Biology, and my goal is to get into vet school as well." Made me sound smarter. They're both in now though :p

I have my first rant! I mean rave. I retook the GRE today and got a 780 Q and an 640 V! I was so excited I almost started jumping up and down in the test center! here's to hoping my scores get to schools on time. Now time for some celebratory wine

Last edited:
Congrats Goldielocks137! I would probably do the same as you and then kiss the proctor with that kind of score :D.

ETS just posted my scores from my most recent go-round with the GRE and my AW score went up by half a point, which increased my percentile score by 22 percent! I know it doesn't matter a whole lot, but since I improved my overall score too I'm excited that my writing got better =) Squee!

I got to work with my two favorite techs yesterday. We had a lot of fun and got a lot done. Love it

I finally start vet school tomorrow!

This past week has been amazing.

1) I broke my 600 hour mark.

2) The vet and head assistant (who takes care of employee/volunteer scheduling) were talking about how they have 2 more people looking to start volunteer. Since they don't like more than 1 person volunteering on the same days at the same times and I'm there 3 mornings a week, I offered to come in less. They just looked at me and simultaneously said, "No." The vet went on to tell me I help out more than the other volunteers they've had recently.

3) My chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary held its annual fall leadership conference for students (usually freshmen and sophomores) on campus. We have some awesome upcoming leaders and I'm excited to see the year ahead.

4) I dropped a writing class this week. While I was having my professor sign my drop slip, she asked if I was the one who had written about vet med on the first day. She went on to tell me that she worked in a mobile clinic in college, and has always been interested in animals, so she is trying to put together a class next semester on animals/animal issues in literature and film. If she can pull it off, I'm totally there.

5) I gave a speech on Friday about one of the clinics I volunteered in this summer. It was within the time limits (3-5 mins), I minimized my "um"s and "uh"s, and the audience asked questions for 3 minutes. All in all, I got a 44/45 on it! Presenting isn't new to me, but I haven't given presentations regularly for a year and a half, so I'm glad I didn't totally lose it.

6) I can't get over the fact I palpated a cow on Wednesday. My friends keep telling me to write a book about my adventures in becoming a veterinarian called "Balls You Can't Play Fetch With". Obviously it wouldn't just be about castrations... but at least they're supportive and excited for me when I tell them my stories of what I saw that week.

So, I posted in rants, so I need to do a rave so I don't feel like a debbie downer :laugh:

My rescued great dane is having to be crate trained because my room mates are lame asses who can't seem to let her into our yard for 5 minutes despite the fact they both sit on their hineys all day doing nothing... AND she is doing so, so s, so well with it! She has been eating all her meals in there with the door closed (it's only day two of the crate so she hasn't been closed in more than 10 mins) and she's not flipping out or whining, which is unbelievable because she has really bad anxiety! :) I'm proud of my baby girl!:love:

Oh dear sweet baby jesus my eLORs are done. ALL FIVE OF THEM actually finished ahead of schedule!

*faints from the relief*

I just got my Phi Theta Kappa (CC national honor society) invite! :) :) :)

After one of the vets at work read my PS and complimented me on it, she's been putting a lot more effort into explaining to me what is specifically going on with each patient - seems like reading that showed her how passionate and interested I was and made her want to help me out. Very exciting to get this without having to ask constantly and feel like I'm annoying them. And she's writing one of my elors (which hopefully will be in soon, this is getting scary!), so I'm hoping this all means I'll get a really good letter from her!

After one of the vets at work read my PS and complimented me on it, she's been putting a lot more effort into explaining to me what is specifically going on with each patient - seems like reading that showed her how passionate and interested I was and made her want to help me out. Very exciting to get this without having to ask constantly and feel like I'm annoying them. And she's writing one of my elors (which hopefully will be in soon, this is getting scary!), so I'm hoping this all means I'll get a really good letter from her!

That's great! Congrats!

So, first of all (and most importantly) I'm doing very well in all of my classes. Not straight A's, but I'm certainly not complaining and not freaking out about the stress and pulling my hair out...a definite plus.

But what I'm REALLY excited about is the month-long study abroad trip to Germany next summer (squeeee!) that my parents said they would assist me in financing, as long as I came up with the rest of it. The prof that sponsors it said that usually you can get $1500-2000 in scholarships, so here's hoping I won't have to take out any more loans. :xf: But I'm going! And the b/f has family in Germany, so he's (hopefully) going to fly out there at the end and we'll stay an extra week. SO excited :soexcited:

Plus, my family and I have worked out our schedules so that we get to take a vacation in January...to Disney and the World of Harry Potter!! I know, I'm a nerd, but whatever, I'm ridiculously excited.

And finally, said b/f and I will be in the same town next summer (because of his amazingly flexible job) for the first time in...well, it'll almost have been 3 years by then. Whoa. I'm running out of ways to express my excitement. :D

So, in conclusion...2011 is going to be an awesome year! Just had to share with someone :)

Plus, my family and I have worked out our schedules so that we get to take a vacation in January...to Disney and the World of Harry Potter!! I know, I'm a nerd, but whatever, I'm ridiculously excited.

PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU TO THE WORLD OF HARRY POTTER!

I'm a Harry Potter nerd too. :p

This morning (after my 14 hour shift at work) I was awakened by a fuzzy, soft, gray, purring kitten instead of by a loud, obnoxious beeping alarm clock. It was absolutely the best sound I have heard in a while.

Isn't she cute:

NaVi.jpg

Submitted my VMCAS just now.
Last letter writer submitted his letter this morning - he gave it to me to read and it just made me feel really good about myself.
I have the weekend ahead of me without supplementals, deadlines, applications or eLORs to worry about.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

As of today I have officially applied to 9 vet schools! VMCAS submitted, eLORS complete, and supplementals with transcripts in the mail. YAY!!!!
SO EXCITED
Here's to the third time being my charm:luck::luck::luck:

Which schools did you apply to?

Here's to the third time being my charm:luck::luck::luck:

I hear third timers are the sexiest of the timers.

Which schools did you apply to?

I hear third timers are the sexiest of the timers.

I like your thinking :D

I applied to CSU (IS), Kansas (last year's alternate list), Oklahoma, Davis (wishful thinking but why not), Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, and AVC.....so who knows, but we shall see!

Both of my vets have submitted their eLORS! Eeeeeee!!! =D

So today, I brought my little mutt Ella to a fun dog show put on my one of the towns in my county. There were a bunch of nice dogs there and like nine different contests to enter. I entered Ella in the "Best Senior Dog" contest, because she's an old lady. She won the class! I still think her lying down in the middle of the ring as we awaited judge results was what sealed the deal.

We got to compete in the "best in show" class but the people that won that were all people who had competed in more than one class previously. Still, it was a lot of fun and Ella was her normal chill self. We got a blue ribbon, a free Tshirt and a little goody bag thing. Yay Ella :D

My VMCAS is submitted, leaving me with just ONE (Tufts) application to finish. I had a horse show today where we did about the best we ever have, and we placed high in very, very good company. I am also taking care of a pair of adorable puppies this weekend, who are exhausting but SO CUTE (and I am thanking my lucky stars that their parents come home this week!)

Life is good! ;)

My VMCAS is submitted, leaving me with just ONE (Tufts) application to finish. I had a horse show today where we did about the best we ever have, and we placed high in very, very good company. I am also taking care of a pair of adorable puppies this weekend, who are exhausting but SO CUTE (and I am thanking my lucky stars that their parents come home this week!)

Life is good! ;)

Down in KY? Congratulations on the great performance! Reining?

Down in KY? Congratulations on the great performance! Reining?

Yeah...if I was at WEG in KY I wouldn't be working on vet school. Lol. No, I show hunters on the local A circuit.

ALL of my eLORS came through today!!! :soexcited:

Now all I have to do is polish my PS and my ES...

My environmental chemistry exam wasn't awful :D

First fall batch of soup was waiting for me in my crockpot when I got home - and it's raining outside! So perfect! Too bad I have a lot of studying to catch up on...