Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Time for another cycle already :)
I'm a rising second year from the area. Myself and a couple of my classmates will be floating around on here to help out when we can. So don't hesitate to reach out to any of us.
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Questions from last year. Hopefully they do not change too much.

1. Question 1 (Required): Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

2. Question 2 (Required):How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

3. Question 3 (Optional): Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals. 750 word limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying here! Let me know if you have any questions about Rowan's application process. Will be matriculating this August!

RowanSOM has had the worst follow-up protocol than any other school I have had to work with so far. I emailed them and called them several times as well as met them but they still have yet to give me an update on my application. Status never changed from october, and to top it all off, they said they would tell me in a couple of days, everytime that I asked them.

Anyone else had these sorts of issues? If so, how did they solve it, or how do they plan to solve it for the upcoming cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
RowanSOM has had the worst follow-up protocol than any other school I have had to work with so far. I emailed them and called them several times as well as met them but they still have yet to give me an update on my application. Status never changed from october, and to top it all off, they said they would tell me in a couple of days, everytime that I asked them.

Anyone else had these sorts of issues? If so, how did they solve it, or how do they plan to solve it for the upcoming cycle?

I had this issue, but a simple phone call fixed it right away. I called after two weeks of submitting my secondaries.

When do secondaries go out?

Just received a secondary invite. Does anyone know if they prescreen?

Edit: According to last year's thread, they do not pre-screen. Here are the questions for this cycle:

1. [Required; 500 words] Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)
  2. [Required; 750 words] How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?
  3. [Optional; 750 words] Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

Last edited:
Anyone have thoughts on the 3rd optional question? If there's not something that was life altering (or that level of significance) would you say don't answer it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone have thoughts on the 3rd optional question? If there's not something that was life altering (or that level of significance) would you say don't answer it?

Yeah I didn't answer it. I don't wanna seem like I'm BSing my way through the app (which I would be doing if I did try to answer it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I didn't answer it. I don't wanna seem like I'm BSing my way through the app (which I would be doing if I did try to answer it)

Very true. If it doesn't add significantly, I wouldn't answer.

How important do yo think it is to get close to the word limits? I'm not coming close (165/500 and 276/750), but I feel like I've run out of meaningful things to say.

How important do yo think it is to get close to the word limits? I'm not coming close (165/500 and 276/750), but I feel like I've run out of meaningful things to say.

Dang...I have hit 750 words for each essay...but now I feel ha to write too much

To give you guys an idea, I've written one sentence (about 20 words) for the first question and 500-600 words for each #2 and #3, and was accepted.

And for those who think #3 is optional, it is really entirely up to you. I believe that everyone has challenges, no matter how big or small, and it would really show your character/perseverance if you can write about it. Think about it as an interview question (greatest challenge you've faced) and write a formal essay about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all. Long time lurker here. I am greatly considering applying to Rowan's Early Decision Program, and in the secondary it says to upload a "Letter of Intent", if you wish to apply. There are no instructions on what this letter of intent is. I wonder am I missing any instructions somewhere ...or am I overthinking this? Can anyone who applied to the early decision program clarify this?
(oh, and I called their admissions but they are out today)

Last edited:
Hello all. Long time lurker here. I am greatly considering applying to Rowan's Early Decision Program, and in the secondary it says to upload a "Letter of Intent", if you wish to apply. There are no instructions on what this letter of intent is. I wonder am I missing any instructions somewhere ...or am I overthinking this? Can anyone who applied to the early decision program clarify this?
(oh, and I called their admissions but they are out today)
It's simply a letter of intent to state why it's your first choice.

It's simply a letter of intent to state why it's your first choice.

I was wondering how seriously they would look at this letter (Would it be treated like another essay or is it just a requirement that they will glance over to see if you have completed).
And basically, how long it should be, or would just a paragraph suffice? Also, if there is any special requirements they need on the letter (like a certain signature, etc)

I'll go contact the school again on Monday, but I want to finish this letter over the weekend.

Anyways, thanks for responding. I definitely am over thinking this but I want to be sure lol.

I was wondering how seriously they would look at this letter (Would it be treated like another essay or is it just a requirement that they will glance over to see if you have completed).
And basically, how long it should be, or would just a paragraph suffice? Also, if there is any special requirements they need on the letter (like a certain signature, etc)

I'll go contact the school again on Monday, but I want to finish this letter over the weekend.

Anyways, thanks for responding. I definitely am over thinking this but I want to be sure lol.
Sure thing! I don't think letters like that have a certain length. Making it concise is key.

So I was placed on the waitlist here and I am looking to re-apply. I have a question for re-applying that I don't know if anyone can answer.
Those three questions are the same questions from last year. How does it look if my answers are still similar to the ones from last cycle? Obviously I am not going to copy and paste, but like my intentions for what I want to do, how i learned about osteopathic medicine and my set backs all haven't really changed.
I also have the same question in regards to my personal statement. I changed up my personal statement somewhat, but it wasn't anything dramatic. Do you guys think I should write a completely new one or do you think thats fine?

So I was placed on the waitlist here and I am looking to re-apply. I have a question for re-applying that I don't know if anyone can answer.
Those three questions are the same questions from last year. How does it look if my answers are still similar to the ones from last cycle? Obviously I am not going to copy and paste, but like my intentions for what I want to do, how i learned about osteopathic medicine and my set backs all haven't really changed.
I also have the same question in regards to my personal statement. I changed up my personal statement somewhat, but it wasn't anything dramatic. Do you guys think I should write a completely new one or do you think thats fine?

I think it's probably okay to use similar answers, but it might be a good idea to add something like what you said regarding how your motivations haven't really changed and thus.. dot dot dot.. these aspirations remain the same etc.

Nope not yet, although I was verified mid June so it is still early. When were you verified?

I was verified mid june as well. Someone up top said they received one already which is why im confused

Some people who sent messages here early were verified in late may, so I wouldn't expect it to be much longer for the later folks

To give you guys an idea, I've written one sentence (about 20 words) for the first question and 500-600 words for each #2 and #3, and was accepted.

And for those who think #3 is optional, it is really entirely up to you. I believe that everyone has challenges, no matter how big or small, and it would really show your character/perseverance if you can write about it. Think about it as an interview question (greatest challenge you've faced) and write a formal essay about it.

How have you already been accepted and why did you only write 20 words for the first question?

To give you guys an idea, I received a secondary on June 16th and was verified about a month prior to that around May 18th.

I was verified on 5/31 and received the secondary on 6/16

How have you already been accepted and why did you only write 20 words for the first question?

I'm accepted for the incoming class of 2020. The question just asks to list what residency you're interested in, and not an explanation why.

I was verified on 5/31 and received the secondary on 6/16

That's really quick! As I recall, I didn't get a secondary until mid-July, and I was verified around June 15th...

Secondary received last night. Hope to receive some love from RowanSOM!

Edit: According to last year's thread, they do not pre-screen. Here are the questions for this cycle:

1. [Required; 500 words] Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)
  2. [Required; 750 words] How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?
  3. [Optional; 750 words] Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

For the first essay regarding my area of professional interest, I only gave a once sentence long answer. This question is not included in the essays section of the application and it doesn't ask why we are interested in any of these areas. I hope I am not making a huge mistake by keeping my answer a single sentence long, but I really dont think that anything more is required. Can somebody shed some light on this? I haven't submitted yet

If I don't answer the optional question, is that bad? I really do not have very much to say as far as barriers or challenges. The only thing I can think of is that I got a lot of bad grades and had to repeat a large number of courses, but that's really my own doing

If I don't answer the optional question, is that bad? I really do not have very much to say as far as barriers or challenges. The only thing I can think of is that I got a lot of bad grades and had to repeat a large number of courses, but that's really my own doing

It isn't a negative thing to leave this blank. Plenty of accepted students have said (for this and other schools) that they left it blank.

So I need some advice. I applied here last cycle and got wait listed. This is my top choice and I don't see myself going anywhere else. My MCAT score was the weakest part of my application so I was planning to retake it in August (August 5th to be exact). However with the exam being about a month away I feel roughly 65% prepared for it and I don't think I'll be fully prepared for it by then. I was thinking about taking it the first week of September instead but I don't know if that's a good idea in terms of trying to get into this school for the Fall of 2017. Does anyone have any advice or anything? Is September too late? I figured I'm better off pushing it back and getting a good score then rushing it and falling flat on my face again but I also don't want to ruin my chances at this school for the Fall of 2017 by submitting a completed application too late.

So I need some advice. I applied here last cycle and got wait listed. This is my top choice and I don't see myself going anywhere else. My MCAT score was the weakest part of my application so I was planning to retake it in August (August 5th to be exact). However with the exam being about a month away I feel roughly 65% prepared for it and I don't think I'll be fully prepared for it by then. I was thinking about taking it the first week of September instead but I don't know if that's a good idea in terms of trying to get into this school for the Fall of 2017. Does anyone have any advice or anything? Is September too late? I figured I'm better off pushing it back and getting a good score then rushing it and falling flat on my face again but I also don't want to ruin my chances at this school for the Fall of 2017 by submitting a completed application too late.

What was your previous grade, what practice tests are you use, and what are you currently scoring on them? I don't think it's possible to feel fully prepared for the MCAT.

What was your previous grade, what practice tests are you use, and what are you currently scoring on them? I don't think it's possible to feel fully prepared for the MCAT.

My previous MCAT grade was a 498 which I took last June. I've been using the Princeton review as my review books coupled with videos and passages from Khan Academy. I've also been using Next Step practice books. For the actual exams I've been using the AMCAS practice test and then Next Step FL as well as the FL then come with the Princeton Review. On the Princeton FL I've scored a 498 and 499. The AMCAS official one I scored a 503. I've yet to take the Next Step ones but I plan to take them in the coming weeks as I've already purchased them. I feel way more prepared right now a month away than I did right before I took it last summer but at the same time I don't know if I'm prepared enough to actually score better by a good margin which I know I need to do.

My previous MCAT grade was a 498 which I took last June. I've been using the Princeton review as my review books coupled with videos and passages from Khan Academy. I've also been using Next Step practice books. For the actual exams I've been using the AMCAS practice test and then Next Step FL as well as the FL then come with the Princeton Review. On the Princeton FL I've scored a 498 and 499. The AMCAS official one I scored a 503. I've yet to take the Next Step ones but I plan to take them in the coming weeks as I've already purchased them. I feel way more prepared right now a month away than I did right before I took it last summer but at the same time I don't know if I'm prepared enough to actually score better by a good margin which I know I need to do.

The average MCAT for RowanSOM the previous cycle was a 29, or a 505-506. I would aim for at least that score, given that you're a reapplicant.

Are you IS or OOS? That also makes a big difference.

The average MCAT for RowanSOM the previous cycle was a 29, or a 505-506. I would aim for at least that score, given that you're a reapplicant.

Are you IS or OOS? That also makes a big difference.
Thats why I felt like I should wait and be more prepared in order to take it because my scores are still way too low. But I am in state. I actually live right around the corner from Rowan SOM.

Thats why I felt like I should wait and be more prepared in order to take it because my scores are still way too low. But I am in state. I actually live right around the corner from Rowan SOM.

I would say to keep your options open, and to also apply to newer schools just in case. Aim for at least a 505, but you should be okay with a 503. Good luck!

My essays are 497/750 and 225/750... do you guys think thats kind of asking them not to accept me? I definitely answered the question, but Im usually right at the word limit. Is anyone else having a problem with meeting the word limit?

hi, im entering this fall, and do not worry too much about the word limit on essays.

each people have different ways of explaining their own unique story, so do not be burdened if one person gets the point across in 500 words others in 250... it will not make or break your application...

just be concise and write well. feel free to pm me ! i didnt have best stats but got accepted into rowansom

How are you all answering the first question regarding what specialty or area of medicine you are interested in? I have my answer, but I don't really know if all that is required is just one sentence that says what you want to do, or a whole essay talking about it.

They give you 500 words to work with, but the question does not ask you to go in to detail as to why you want to do whatever it is.

hi, im entering this fall, and do not worry too much about the word limit on essays.

each people have different ways of explaining their own unique story, so do not be burdened if one person gets the point across in 500 words others in 250... it will not make or break your application...

just be concise and write well. feel free to pm me ! i didnt have best stats but got accepted into rowansom

How did you answer the question regarding what specialty or area of medicine you are interested in? I have my answer, but I don't really know if all that is required is just one sentence that says what you want to do, or a whole essay talking about it.

They give you 500 words to work with, but the question does not ask you to go in to detail as to why you want to do whatever it is.