2023-2024 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called admissions and spoke with the assistant director, so posting this on here in case anyone else might find this information useful.

He said the waitlist is more "plug and play" with admission and that they don't go in order through HPWL before getting to alternate. It just depends on who the committee wants to replace the open seat with so it could be from either list. (My guess is that they do have a preference for HPWL though because HP lol.) He also said there's movement happening between now and end of June, possibly even right up until July 21st which is when classes start.

The committee will try to adhere to your preference for PBL and SGL, but if a seat becomes available for either, they'll consider you. So you may not get what you want and will have to be flexible.
The open house was amazing, I really hope we hear back from them soon! The admissions rep said that we can hear from them as soon as today and as late as june! I’m SO NERVOUS!

I also can confirm that what strugglesreal said, as I had multiple admissions representatives tell me that it is not ranked and they review many applicants on the WL and HPWL for admission when they have their committee meetings. One had told me that they can choose individuals from the WL over HPWL depending on the applicant's profile, as the only difference between the two groupings is that the HPWL is a next cycle acceptance for sure.

The open house was also amazing and they'll keep having movement within their class as we can see above too since they have plenty of students choosing other schools prior to the start of their classes. I was told the most movement happens in May but anything can happen between literally now and the day they start classes, although they try to seat their class as soon as they can so we can participate in things like the pre-matriculation program or find housing in time to move and begin courses. Their class is definitely full, but as people drop for other schools the more we'll hear about WL movement!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!!!!! Hoping I end up in your shoes soon. Like someone already asked, did you just get straight accepted or did you go from HPWL/WL to an A?
OOS 515 MCAT, 3.2 undergrad, 3.8 masters, interview 3/12 HPWL 4/15 A 4/17. I hope I didn’t just dox myself but I wanted to be as specific as I can incase it helps someone. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS 515 MCAT, 3.2 undergrad, 3.8 masters, interview 3/12 HPWL 4/15 A 4/17. I hope I didn’t just dox myself but I wanted to be as specific as I can incase it helps someone. Good luck everyone!!
No problem at all hahaha I would be nervous about doxing myself too! I can absolutely see why you got off the HPWL! Congrats again!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also can confirm that what strugglesreal said, as I had multiple admissions representatives tell me that it is not ranked and they review many applicants on the WL and HPWL for admission when they have their committee meetings. One had told me that they can choose individuals from the WL over HPWL depending on the applicant's profile, as the only difference between the two groupings is that the HPWL is a next cycle acceptance for sure.

The open house was also amazing and they'll keep having movement within their class as we can see above too since they have plenty of students choosing other schools prior to the start of their classes. I was told the most movement happens in May but anything can happen between literally now and the day they start classes, although they try to seat their class as soon as they can so we can participate in things like the pre-matriculation program or find housing in time to move and begin courses. Their class is definitely full, but as people drop for other schools the more we'll hear about WL movement!
What was amazing about the open house? Will there be another one?

• Hmm
Can only speak on the Sewell campus open house but what was nice about it was getting to actually be a part of a virtual case and be more familiar with how the PBL curriculum will go. The first year med students were suuuper informative and you can really tell how close that class of students are because of how PBL really forces you to engage with others. I hear there won't be another one but you can definitely reach out to admissions to be sure.

Is anyone else still torn between Pbl and SGL?

Is anyone else still torn between Pbl and SGL?
Reach out to admissions and ask to shadow a PBL class! I believe you can do it virtually and it’ll be a good way to see if it’s right for you

Reach out to admissions and ask to shadow a PBL class! I believe you can do it virtually and it’ll be a good way to see if it’s right for you
thank you I will do that :)

What're the chances of being accepted from the HPWL for this upcoming school year before June?? I understand its a guaranteed admission for next cycle. Honestly, I'd much rather attend next year than get accepted 2 weeks before classes start and having to scramble to get everything together.

apparently for admissions WL vs HPWL there is no rank. So about an equalish chance for this year!

apparently for admissions WL vs HPWL there is no rank. So about an equalish chance for this year!
I go here. This is not true. I don't know a single person who got in off the WL, only the HPWL. Just because they have the option to pull from both, doesn't mean they do. HPWL gets pulled from first, it's "High Priority" for a reason.

Edit: I'm sure there are occasional exceptions to this ofc

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
What're the chances of being accepted from the HPWL for this upcoming school year before June?? I understand its a guaranteed admission for next cycle. Honestly, I'd much rather attend next year than get accepted 2 weeks before classes start and having to scramble to get everything together.
Movement is significant. The HPWL movement -typically- follows in chronological order. Earlier you were put on the HPWL, earlier/higher odds of getting in. Exceptional candidates seem to get exceptions to the chronological rule sometimes. Write a letter of interest if it's your first choice.

Also a 2-week scramble is probably worth the effort in exchange for an extra year of attending salary.

I go here. This is not true. I don't know a single person who got in off the WL, only the HPWL. Just because they have the option to pull from both, doesn't mean they do. HPWL gets pulled from first, it's "High Priority" for a reason.
As many of us have echoed, the admissions staff directly tells us that students can be pulled from either HPWL or regular WL at any time, it simply depends on what they're looking for at the committee meetings when they are having them & discussing us as candidates. The ONLY difference between HPWL and regular WL is the admissions aspect & I do work with an advisor who has worked at RowanSOM & still has contact with them & they corroborated this. If they are taking most people from HPWL then it is simply because of what they are looking for in their candidates which makes sense in terms of how they ended up on the HPWL, but this is especially true because I was also told that the HPWL was not started until the last week of February/first weeks of March.

Edit: To add to this the turnover we hope to see in admissions this year actually should begin sometime next week & when schools have multiple WL's they tend to have a smaller number on their high priority/1st tier/1st choice wait list than their regular WL.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they're having any more open houses this cycle sadly, but they should start back up with them sometime over the summer or early fall I would assume. I really enjoyed the campus itself as I went to Stratford for my tour and the area driving in actually looked very suburban which I also enjoy. Besides that the staff that I talked to there admissions, financial aid, student wellness, etc. were all SO very nice and they were very encouraging in terms of medical school, but at the same time they were very very transparent (as much as they can be) about the workload, the activities and environment at school, and even about the admissions processes as mentioned above. This is one of the only schools I know of that even advertises their 1:1 advising at their open houses and will work with students to help them get into their school if it's truly where you'd like to be. Overall they just give a very warm and welcoming vibe and let you know that you're gonna be in a great environment for opportunity and success if you attend Rowan. That's why I was so elated with my experience there & even the students were very transparent about their admissions journeys and their experiences at the school.

I go here and got accepted off the regular WL. I was accepted in June before a decent number of people I know who were accepted off the HPWL

Reactions: 7 users
I go here and got accepted off the regular WL. I was accepted in June before a decent number of people I know who were accepted off the HPWL
This is so good to hear! Sitting on the regular WL and doing all I can do get off of it. Thanks for the hope!

Reactions: 3 users
I sent letter of intent, attended open house, asked a close physician I work with to send an additional letter of rec on behalf. What else can I do to try to get off WL at this point?

I sent letter of intent, attended open house, asked a close physician I work with to send an additional letter of rec on behalf. What else can I do to try to get off WL at this point?
maybe ask to shadow a PBL session? idk lol

sounds like you’ve done everything you could. They know you’re committed to matriculating. Just gotta wait for the acceptance call/email. Keep a positive mindset, it’s totally okay to feel anxious. I’m in the same boat as you.

Reactions: 6 users
Can only speak on the Sewell campus open house but what was nice about it was getting to actually be a part of a virtual case and be more familiar with how the PBL curriculum will go. The first year med students were suuuper informative and you can really tell how close that class of students are because of how PBL really forces you to engage with others. I hear there won't be another one but you can definitely reach out to admissions to be sure.
Adding on that I was super impressed by the open house! I brought my partner who had a really bad med school experience to do a vibe check and he agreed that it felt like a great very supportive environment. I thought the facilities at Stratford were super nice - it's great to see your tuition money is going to good facilities and lots of resources.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I'd much rather attend next year than get accepted 2 weeks before classes start and having to scramble to get everything together.
I've met some of the students at Rowan and one actually told me "I got accepted on the first day of orientation," which I find is a bit intense. I can see your perspective of waiting a whole year, instead of just scrambling to getting everything in order. This is especially difficult for folks who have to get their finances in order and living situation in order. For me personally, I think it would be ideal to know if I'm starting within a month or so. Otherwise, I would defer it for the year to get everything else settled and save up some extra cash.

Hey! I have a question about the pre-marticulation program. I emailed Dr. Corley, as it says on the website, but he has yet to respond.

I was wondering if students on the HPWL can still apply for it? The deadline to apply is by the end of April. But since people get off the waitlists during the summer, I wonder if they have an opportunity to still sign up and participate on the program.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they will announce the white coat ceremony date?
It will be held on Friday, August 9 at either 4:00pm or 6:30pm (students choose which ceremony to attend). They'll send an email in July for registration. There's a bit more info on the flyer they have, which can be found on the school's Facebook page (search for 'Accepted Students Day Flyer').

The deadline to apply is by the end of April. But since people get off the waitlists during the summer, I wonder if they have an opportunity to still sign up and participate on the program.
I would contact the admissions team email directly. They're pretty responsive and would give you some guidance. I didn't realize the deadline was already passed though, but I hope they have some exceptions.

Can anyone tell me how many people get off the HPWL. I am trying to keep my expectations and hope low but I would really love to know how much of a chance I have as I have my heart set on starting this year. I’m currently writing a letter of intent to send today or tomorrow before that May 1st deadline and have called expressing my interest in the pre matric program, I’m just so anxious as I’m sure we all are. Does anyone have any answers! Thanks and good luck to everyone still hoping!

Can anyone tell me how many people get off the HPWL. I am trying to keep my expectations and hope low but I would really love to know how much of a chance I have as I have my heart set on starting this year. I’m currently writing a letter of intent to send today or tomorrow before that May 1st deadline and have called expressing my interest in the pre matric program, I’m just so anxious as I’m sure we all are. Does anyone have any answers! Thanks and good luck to everyone still hoping!
I don't think anyone really knows how many are selected off the hpwl. And I bet that number changes every cycle. All that I know is candidates are selected off both the hpwl and WL. It's not like hpwl first then WL. There are just a myriad of other factors that goes into selecting a candidate. So all I can say is. I'm in the same position as you. I'm on the regular WL and maybe I'll get selected. Who really knows!

Hi! What did they say about the pre-marticulation program? Can WL or HPWL students still apply or be considered for it?

Hi! What did they say about the pre-marticulation program? Can WL or HPWL students still apply or be considered for it?
They really didn’t give me much in answers they just said they’d note it in my file that I want to do the program and the lead of the program hasn’t emailed me back yet. I’m literally dying over here lol

They really didn’t give me much in answers they just said they’d note it in my file that I want to do the program and the lead of the program hasn’t emailed me back yet. I’m literally dying over here lol
Hey!! So when I went to the open house & talked to some admissions after that about the pre-matriculation program they told me that they can take you into the program pretty much until like the week before the program starts. I was told not to worry about it at all in terms of signing up and if I were to get a seat in the class before the pre-matriculation programs start up to that week deadline I would be able to be added in to it. I would assume that this would be the same case with everyone coming off the WL or HPWL if they make that timing deadline with their offer of admission since the admissions faculty I talked to about it said that they had done this many times in the past and people have joined the pre-matriculation program very close to its start.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey!! So when I went to the open house & talked to some admissions after that about the pre-matriculation program they told me that they can take you into the program pretty much until like the week before the program starts. I was told not to worry about it at all in terms of signing up and if I were to get a seat in the class before the pre-matriculation programs start up to that week deadline I would be able to be added in to it. I would assume that this would be the same case with everyone coming off the WL or HPWL if they make that timing deadline with their offer of admission since the admissions faculty I talked to about it said that they had done this many times in the past and people have joined the pre-matriculation program very close to its start.
Thank you for the response! I was so worried about not being enrolled in it.

Do you guys think they’ll be any movement tomorrow like there was last year. I’m literally holding my breath!