Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine/ New Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a new school opening in Conroe (near Houston Tx), and I was wondering if anyone has information about whether this school will be accepting applicants during this cycle? Or are they going to accept applicants for the 2020 cycle?

Also, are there any other new DO or MD schools that will be accepting applicants for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sam Houston’s first class will be in 2020, so you should be able to apply to it this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CHSU-COM is a new DO school in CA that will be accepting applications soon.

Any Idea what the tuition will be for this school? I did a quick google search but could not find tuition information on their website.

Hi guys,

This is a new school opening in Conroe (near Houston Tx), and I was wondering if anyone has information about whether this school will be accepting applicants during this cycle? Or are they going to accept applicants for the 2020 cycle?

Also, are there any other new DO or MD schools that will be accepting applicants for this cycle? I want to include some new schools on my application list to increase my chances of acceptance.

SHSUCOM should be opening up this year and will almost certainly be a TMDSAS school given that it is a state-funded and approved medical school.

Look up jkdoctor’s posts...he always whoots when a new school is opening. I believe there are several opening this year or next.

SHSUCOM should be opening up this year and will almost certainly be a TMDSAS school given that it is a state-funded and approved medical school.

Look up jkdoctor’s posts...he always whoots when a new school is opening. I believe there are several opening this year or next.

Maybe it has changed, but for some reason I thought SHSUCOM announced that it will not be state funded.

Maybe it has changed, but for some reason I thought SHSUCOM announced that it will not be state funded.

I can confirm that it is not state-funded, even though it is a TMDSAS school. I emailed them and asked.

This will most definitely mean that it will not have a dirt cheap tuition like the other texas schools correct? I was hoping it would be in the 20k range but now it seems it will be much higher :(

SHSU COM has now been approved after the August COCA meeting to begin accepting applications.TMDSAS just announced this on Facebook today (Sept 3) and SHSU COM hasn't even had time to update their web page yet.

They will use TMDSAS application system. If you have already submitted a TMDSAS app this year, message them while logged in and ask them to add this school.
Although they are using the TMDSAS system, they are not a state-subsidized DO school so their tuition will be more in line with private school tuition similar to UIWSOM ($50,000 range).

@PapaGuava , could you please start up a page for this school in the Alphabetic List of DO schools 2019-2020? Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
SHSU COM has now been approved after the August COCA meeting to begin accepting applications.TMDSAS just announced this on Facebook today (Sept 3) and SHSU COM hasn't even had time to update their web page yet.

They will use TMDSAS application system. If you have already submitted a TMDSAS app this year, message them while logged in and ask them to add this school.
Although they are using the TMDSAS system, they are not a state-subsidized DO school so their tuition will be more in line with private school tuition similar to UIWSOM ($50,000 range).

@PapaGuava , could you please start up a page for this school in the Alphabetic List of DO schools 2019-2020? Thank you!

Has an official SDN thread been started for the school for applicants?

Edit: NM saw the bottom a lil late

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc does not being state-subsidized mean that Sam Houston would not be eligible for a military benefit such as the Texas Hazelwood Act??

@wysdoc does not being state-subsidized mean that Sam Houston would not be eligible for a military benefit such as the Texas Hazelwood Act??
Sam Houston State is still a Texas public institution, so I believe you would still be able to apply to use Hazlewood Act benefits.

Has a thread been created yet? I know someone asked earlier. My app has been transmitted to SHSU.

For anyone wondering - I called SHSU-COM today and financial aid confirmed that tuition will be $55,000 per year.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
What do you think the stats will be for their first class? I’m new to SDN and a little unfamiliar with osteopathic schools & the types of stats they have especially for a first year. My LizzyM is 64 and a nontrad- I was going to wait till next cycle to start applying but I’m considering applying here this cycle...

I'm Texas born and won't be applying to sam houston or UIWSOM just because the tuition is outrageous.. especially for a new school with no record of performance.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm Texas born and won't be applying to sam houston or UIWSOM just because the tuition is outrageous.. especially for a new school with no record of performance.
this is a good point
Would you consider UH's medical school?

Has SHSU COM emailed anyone regarding a secondary application?

Has SHSU COM emailed anyone regarding a secondary application?
I received an email today with the link! The admissions office said they would be emailed out once your primary was received, and mine was transmitted on 9/3.

Can you post the secondary prompts, please?
Of course! Additionally, the secondary fee is $75.

1) What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? (800 characters)

2) Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you? (800 characters)

3) What do you consider your most important activity? (500 characters)

4) What do you consider the role of physicians in East Texas Communities? (800 characters)

5) Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea? (800 characters)

6) Please share any other relevant information that you would like the SHUS-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. (optional, 500 characters)

Of course! Additionally, the secondary fee is $75.

1) What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? (800 characters)

2) Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you? (800 characters)

3) What do you consider your most important activity? (500 characters)

4) What do you consider the role of physicians in East Texas Communities? (800 characters)

5) Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea? (800 characters)

6) Please share any other relevant information that you would like the SHUS-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. (optional, 500 characters)
Oh wow, these are character limits and not word limits? I feel like it makes it that much more difficult to answer any of these questions in a profound or unique way while still answering the question. So much for copy and paste from other secondaries. :/

My application was transmitted on 9/4, MCAT 513 GPA 3.73, in-state. Still haven't received a secondary, anyone else?

My application was transmitted on 9/4, MCAT 513 GPA 3.73, in-state. Still haven't received a secondary, anyone else?
I have not either

Quick question: How do you know your app was transmitted to SHSU? I only messaged TMDSAS through the application to put SHSU on my list of schools. Are we to press submit? Or will it automatically be sent?

I have not either

Quick question: How do you know your app was transmitted to SHSU? I only messaged TMDSAS through the application to put SHSU on my list of schools. Are we to press submit? Or will it automatically be sent?
Look on the list of schools that your app was sent to and it should be on there. TMDSAS will also reply to you when they process your request.

I called them and they said there is no pre-screen and they are slowly sending secondary for the next few weeks

Secondary email just received. Transmitted by TMDSAS on 9/4

I still have not received a secondary and I had my primary verified by TMDSAS hours after the school was uploaded on 9/3.

I did email SHSUCOM and they said they were looking into the issue, so if others are experiencing this, they are having difficulty on their end. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m conflicted on whether or not I should apply here since the tuition is $55,000 a year. Any other IS applicants having second thoughts?

I was thinking about applying here since the school is 45 minutes from where I live but the fact the school is brand new which creates uncertainty with the structure and curriculum made me not too

I’m conflicted on whether or not I should apply here since the tuition is $55,000 a year. Any other IS applicants having second thoughts?
It depends on what your stats are, what your healthcare goals are, and how tuition may affect your pro/con list between schools.

If you're not confident you will get many interviews or have not already received any AND you are not willing to wait another year to apply, then I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

As an instate applicant, you have more options by just adding SHSUCOM onto your TMDSAS application. No additional fee and should other schools not pan out, this could potentially provide you with an opportunity.

You also have to have some self-awareness on how you perform in certain situations. Are you a self-starter with a strong internal locus of control or does external factors heavily influence your performance?

I am a strong believer that if you're resourceful, have a strong capacity to learn, and are willing to put in the work, you can succeed in anything you try.

Last edited:

I also decided not to because of the price. I’m someone who will have to take out loans for my medical school expenses, and I want to keep my debt at a minimum. I don’t think it is worth it to pay more than 200k, and then be forced into primary care (not saying there’s anything wrong with primary care, but I think it should be up to the person, not the school). Also, there are other MD/DO schools in Texas that are significantly cheaper.

I also decided not to because of the price. I’m someone who will have to take out loans for my medical school expenses, and I want to keep my debt at a minimum. I don’t think it is worth it to pay more than 200k, and then be forced into primary care (not saying there’s anything wrong with primary care, but I think it should be up to the person, not the school). Also, there are other MD/DO schools in Texas that are significantly cheaper.

Mah dude no school will force you into primary care; it’s just the self fulfilling prophecy DO students on AVERAGE have weaker stats therefore will on AVERAGE go into less competitive specialities

Mah dude no school will force you into primary care; it’s just the self fulfilling prophecy DO students on AVERAGE have weaker stats therefore will on AVERAGE go into less competitive specialities

Okay maybe I should have used different words. Not that they are forcing you to, but there is a huge emphasis on primary care. University of Houston (MD) also has an emphasis on primary care. My main point is that it isn’t fair for SHSU-COM to charge a premium rate and concentrate on primary care. Not talking about DO stats. No need for the condescending tone

Last edited:
Okay maybe I should have used different words. Not that they are forcing you to, but there is a huge emphasis on primary care. University of Houston (MD) also has an emphasis on primary care. My main point is that it isn’t fair for SHSU-COM to charge a premium rate and concentrate primary care. Not talking about DO stats. No need for the consdensing tone

Not trying to be condescending. I assumed you looked at stats for DO schools and made that conclusion

I was going to apply, and if I got an interview just go and see what they had to say. But the fact that the secondary is also a 75$ fee cemented that I will not apply. 55k a year which is almost 3x as much as other TX schools AND a 75$ secondary fee? Hello?

No reason to be angry about any of this, you are free to choose where you apply. Texans have of course benefited from the excellent financial support to our state-subsidized schools and are surprised when they see a school that has a tuition in the private school range like this.

I have decided not to apply because of the tuition. The fact that it is pretty darn new kinda helped to make that decision as well. Hopefully I will not regret the decision, but im at peace with having to go through another cycle if it does come to it.

Received and submitted the secondary today! I'm excited about this school since it's super close to home for me!