2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 SHSU-COM Secondary Essay Prompts: **This school uses the TMDSAS application**
**Interviews are in-person this year !**

(Changes from last year: Slight wording changes #2 and #4, omission of a past question.)

1- What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? [800 character limit]

2- Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did you grow from this experience? [800 character limit]

3- What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities? [800 character limit]

4- Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What is the most significant service contribution that you have made? [800 character limit]

5- As a DO physician, how would you plan to incorporate the tenets of osteopathic medicine into your future practice? [800 character limit]

6- Are you a Texas resident? [Yes or No]

7- Please share anything you would like to mention to the SHSU-COM Admissions Committee about yourself to strengthen your application. [500 character limit]

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
On their website, they state that Snapshot is required. However, the Altius site says that "any applicants applying for the 2023/24 admissions cycle will not be required to take Snapshot." Does this mean that Snapshot is no longer required?

On their website, they state that Snapshot is required. However, the Altius site says that "any applicants applying for the 2023/24 admissions cycle will not be required to take Snapshot." Does this mean that Snapshot is no longer required?
Last year SHSU asked for Snapshot, but this year it's CASPer and Duet.
Probably they didn't update their web page lately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary invitation via email an hour ago! Here are the questions:

1- What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? [800 character limit]
2- Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did you grow from this experience? [800 character limit]
3- What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities? [800 character limit]
4- Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What is the most significant service contribution that you have made? [800 character limit]
5- As a DO physician, how would you plan to incorporate the tenets of osteopathic medicine into your future practice? [800 character limit]
6- Are you a Texas resident? [Yes or No]
7- Please share anything you would like to mention to the SHSU-COM Admissions Committee about yourself to strengthen your application. [500 character limit]

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone interested, SHSU-COM announced today that the new tuition will be $26,500. I’ll be an OMS-1 at SHSU this upcoming semester. If anyone has any questions for me feel free to reach out. Best of luck this cycle!

(The info on the tuition is towards the bottom of the article)

Reactions: 4 users
"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks." Do I fill this out if it's already been answered in my primary app via "Has your education or vocation ever been interrupted for any reason?"

I don't want to be redundant but also recognize leaving it blank could be alarming

"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks." Do I fill this out if it's already been answered in my primary app via "Has your education or vocation ever been interrupted for any reason?"

I don't want to be redundant but also recognize leaving it blank could be alarming
That's not even one of the questions!

That's not even one of the questions!
It caught me off guard! The bio/edu section gives us another two prompts:

"Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your TMDSAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or if you have been charged, convicted of, plead guilty, or entered a plea of no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime.)"

"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks."

With no given character limit.

It caught me off guard! The bio/edu section gives us another two prompts:

"Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your TMDSAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or if you have been charged, convicted of, plead guilty, or entered a plea of no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime.)"

"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks."

With no given character limit.
Turned out to have a hidden and short character limit of about 300. Just put the dates and quick little blurb similar but not the same as my primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II a few minutes ago! Didn't realize they were sending them out so soon

II now as well!

Congrats! When were y’all complete? And do y’all mind sharing stats?

Congrats y'all!

Completed June 3rd week, LM 71, received II yesterday.

• Love
Congrats! When were y’all complete? And do y’all mind sharing stats?
Completed 6/14. Non-trad 517 MCAT ~3.4 gpa undergrad 3.9+ gpa masters. I've been working as a microbiology technologist for the past 3 years, originally from Texas but not a resident currently

Completed 5/26. Received II 7/3.

Non-trad. 514 MCAT. 3.0 cGPA (undergrad + grad). 3.8+ sGPA. 4.0 40+ hr post-bacc (basically all pre-reqs I never took during undergrad). Late applicant last year (primary verified late August, secondaries from August-October), and honestly a crummy primary. Re-did everything this year.

Reactions: 5 users

Check out this courage session with SHSU to help inspire and prepare you for the interview. Lets ALL get that acceptance!! :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
What does it mean if I have not received an II and I submitted my secondary application 6/6?

What does it mean if I have not received an II and I submitted my secondary application 6/6?
Every school has a different way of reviewing and it’s rarely based on when you submitted. Hold tight your II is coming!!

Not everyone who completes a secondary will be interviewed. When you have done your part and turned everything in, there can be days, weeks, or months of waiting for the next news.

II Recieved today!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Heads up!
They added an additional "Q&A Interview" on the portal. Don't let it catch you off guard on interview day, and prepare well!
Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 1.56.28 PM.png

Reactions: 3 users
"All interviews are closed file. All materials for your interview will be provided, including lunch. You do not need to bring anything with you."

Submitted my secondary application yesterday. It seems neither my CASPer score or Duet score is attached to my profile. I had those sent to all Texas schools months ago. Should I be concerned by they aren't received yet, or does it just take time?

Submitted my secondary application yesterday. It seems neither my CASPer score or Duet score is attached to my profile. I had those sent to all Texas schools months ago. Should I be concerned by they aren't received yet, or does it just take time?
I’d double check your Casper profile matches your TMDSAS ID. My Casper + duet has been in for most of my schools long before I submitted my secondaries.

I never received a secondary invite for SHS. Do they screen primaries ?

With the interview coming up next week, is there anything yall are planning to bring with you or recommend I bring?

lm honestly a little worried about the handwriting portion. My handwriting is legible, but looks child like haha.

lm honestly a little worried about the handwriting portion. My handwriting is legible, but looks child like haha.

I have terrible child-like handwriting as well and ultimately got accepted lol. You got this!

Does anyone know if anyone has been accepted or at least gotten an II here with a 504-505 mcat?

Does anyone know if anyone has been accepted or at least gotten an II here with a 504-505 mcat?
Yes - @astridase11 please don't ask this same question on all your school pages. You can look up this information yourself as you research each school.