2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do y'all know when is the match day?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will everyone find out the result from their interview on that day and time? Or is that just the earliest that you can find out?
If you are in state, you will either match or not match on that day. You could possibly get waitlisted, and accepted off the waitlist at a later date. But March 3rd will be the date you either find out if you matched to a school or did not match to a school.

For out of state folks, you could be accepted at any time. For out of state that period started in October.

Saw this earlier today, thought I would share here. Nice to see such a new program opening possible opportunities for their upcoming graduates.

Reactions: 4 users
Is this anyone else's only TMDSAS interview and they're really anxious about match day?? I'm both excited but terrified for the day to come O_O

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Is this anyone else's only TMDSAS interview and they're really anxious about match day?? I'm both excited but terrified for the day to come O_O
SHSU-COM is my only TMDSAS School for an interview. 🥲

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Me too :( .... I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. So I've been studying for my mcat again.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
This is one of two for me, but my other one was UTRGV which has a super small class size of about 55. So still incredibly nervous! SHSU COM is my first choice. Does anyone know about how many were interviewed this cycle/how many they interviewed in the last two cycles?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of two for me, but my other one was UTRGV which has a super small class size of about 55. So still incredibly nervous! SHSU COM is my first choice. Does anyone know about how many were interviewed this cycle/how many they interviewed in the last two cycles?
To my knowledge about 1,000 interviews?

All in all, best of luck to everyone. I'm trying to keep the attitude of not letting the results define me - accepted or rejected.
Obviously, I will probably be sad if I don't get in and happy if do. With that being said, if it doesn't work out is anyone willing to help me for my next cycle? (probably 2024)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
All in all, best of luck to everyone. I'm trying to keep the attitude of not letting the results define me - accepted or rejected.
Obviously, I will probably be sad if I don't get in and happy if do. With that being said, if it doesn't work out is anyone willing to help me for my next cycle? (probably 2024)
Keep your head up, champ. We’ll be here to help/support you no matter the outcome.

• Love
  • Care

I’d recommend applying AACOMAS if you’re willing to go OOS or to UIWCOM. I had much better luck there than TMDSAS and will luckily have somewhere to go even if I don’t get into Sam (my only TMDSAS interview). It’s actually quite surprising how high Sam’s stats are considering they’re a new DO school. Average 506 MCAT is relatively high for a DO school, regardless of how new they are. UIWCOM has graduated 2 classes and their average is a 503 for reference.

• Care
I’d recommend applying AACOMAS if you’re willing to go OOS or to UIWCOM. I had much better luck there than TMDSAS and will luckily have somewhere to go even if I don’t get into Sam (my only TMDSAS interview). It’s actually quite surprising how high Sam’s stats are considering they’re a new DO school. Average 506 MCAT is relatively high for a DO school, regardless of how new they are. UIWCOM has graduated 2 classes and their average is a 503 for reference.
Sounds good, I will look into that! I did not apply through AACOMAS because I did not have enough money to send more applications this cycle.

I think the higher averages may be due to:

1. Lots of Texans only apply TMDSAS, and some higher stat people who are unable to match into MD or TCOM match into SHSU.

And/or

2. Many people who may be accepted to both SHSU and OOS DO programs will opt for the OOS DO programs that are either more established or cheaper in relation to tuition.

I’m curious how things will change when they match their first class!

• Love
I think the higher averages may be due to:

1. Lots of Texans only apply TMDSAS, and some higher stat people who are unable to match into MD or TCOM match into SHSU.

And/or

2. Many people who may be accepted to both SHSU and OOS DO programs will opt for the OOS DO programs that are either more established or cheaper in relation to tuition.

I’m curious how things will change when they match their first class!

Great points, the first one was what my thinking has been on why their stats are high. I agree that it will be interesting to see what happens when they match their first class. If only it was one year sooner!

Do we have an idea how many people got pre-match offers?

Do we have an idea how many people got pre-match offers?

No, but shouldn’t concern yourself about it. Lots of people who had prematches here are going elsewhere so lots of spots will open on Friday.

I was told that shsu ranks the applicants , and the matches happen accordingly. However, does a rejection mean that said applicant was ranked low, or at a cut off?

I was told that shsu ranks the applicants , and the matches happen accordingly. However, does a rejection mean that said applicant was ranked low, or at a cut off?

Most likely everyone who doesn’t match to this particular school will be placed on their waitlist. But of course, there will be no way to know for certain until match day comes along.

TMDSAS schools usually only reject pre-II or if their waitlist is beyond the capacity they have set. I don’t believe SHSU has a waitlist capacity.

"Congratulations! You matched to: Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine."

Does anyone know what is going on?

"Congratulations! You matched to: Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine."

I believe that means you are going to SHSU in the fall if you choose to accept

• Love

You had one TMDSAS school, you ranked it first, and you matched.
This is where you will be going unless you choose one of your OOS schools separately.
You have time to decide that part based on the timeline of your other schools, which are not part of TMDSAS.

I did not match. Is there an email from SHSU that will let me know if I am in the waitlist or if I'm rejected.

Congrats to those who matched !

I shall go grind mode for the next 2 months :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who matched !

I shall go grind mode for the next 2 months :)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, apply AACOMAS!! It went really well for me and is a great option for UIWCOM or OOS schools.

• Hmm
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, apply AACOMAS!! It went really well for me and is a great option for UIWCOM or OOS schools.
I really should've just dropped a couple hundred. I didn't realize there were so many good OOS DO schools till later...
But next cycle, I will definitely look into it.

Does anyone know if this school takes letters of intents? And if so when should we send them?

So if you don't have any pending updates on TMDSAS, does that mean you didn't match? Just want to make sure lol.

Just received the WL email ..... I don't want to get false hope. But is the SHSU waitlist a courtesy thing, or is there actual movement in the WL?

• Care