2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha. Do u know the reason they didn’t provide funding the first time around?

My best guess is because they recently approved funding for UTRGV, UH, and UT Tyler. I also think that going the route of being a tuition-funded school helped them gain approval from the state to open in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

My best guess is because they recently approved funding for UTRGV, UH, and UT Tyler. I also think that going the route of being a tuition-funded school helped them gain approval from the state to open in the first place.
I think it was a combination of budget constraints and timing

Reactions: 1 user
I was researching the subject and couldn’t find any significant changes from when they made the ruling until now. I’m not exactly fluent on state politics though. It’s great to hear what [mention]session6 [/mention] said as I really do hope the state provides funding. It looks like the bill was sent to the appropriations committee which meets on Thursday.
They did not discuss the bill today. Not sure when they will. They haven't placed it on any schedule yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They did not discuss the bill today. Not sure when they will. They haven't placed it on any schedule yet

Well that’s disappointing. I wish I would’ve paid better attention in my Texas Gov class to know what’s going on lol.

Anybody know if the appropriations committee is discussing the bill today?? I still can’t get the minutes from last meeting to show up for me lol.

Anybody know if the appropriations committee is discussing the bill today?? I still can’t get the minutes from last meeting to show up for me lol.
On March 16, 2023 in the Senate:
  • Referred to s/c on Higher Education by Pres
  • Read first time
On March 3, 2023 in the Senate:
  • Filed
  • Received by the Secretary of the Senate
Edited to update:

March 23, 2023 at 9:00am (CDT)​

• Description:
    Public testimony will be limited to two minutes. If providing written testimony, please submit seven copies to committee staff at the hearing.
  • Committee:
    Subcommittee on Higher Education

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the clinical rotations were for the M3s that just finished up?

SB 1563 was reported favorably by the higher education subcommittee!!

Reactions: 3 users
SB 1563 was reported favorably by the higher education subcommittee!!

Is this like a very good sign or a slightly good one? Also how much would we expect to pay for year? I’m assuming somewhat similar to other texas med schools.

Is this like a very good sign or a slightly good one? Also how much would we expect to pay for year? I’m assuming somewhat similar to other texas med schools.

So I just looked it up and read that committees rarely designate bills as unfavorable. If they don’t like them they generally don’t move them along. So I would say slightly good sign. There’s some supplemental texts that mention lowering the tuition to around the state average of $23,800. The supplemental texts discussed are interesting if anyone would like to read:

(Sorry if my formatting is off, I’m on mobile)

Reactions: 3 users
To withdraw, do we just send an email? I have heard about some schools having a button to click to withdraw on their AMP portal. SHSU doesn’t have that right? Overthinking :,)

Members don't see this ad :)
To withdraw, do we just send an email? I have heard about some schools having a button to click to withdraw on their AMP portal. SHSU doesn’t have that right? Overthinking :,)
Yes, write them an email and state your intent to withdraw clearly but kindly

Withdrew! Good luck WL’ers!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Other than @BlitizinPhysician , has there been anyone who got off the WL?
I would venture to say that there has been, but they are not on SDN. Important to know however that the majority of WL movement will come after April 30th, as this is the day that students with multiple offers must choose one and withdraw from the others.

WL movement is painful to those waiting (myself for SHSU included, and myself last cycle). It is a long, dragged out process. Settle in, don't check SDN every 5 mins like I do, and try to prepare yourself for all possible outcomes

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would venture to say that there has been, but they are not on SDN. Important to know however that the majority of WL movement will come after April 30th, as this is the day that students with multiple offers must choose one and withdraw from the others.

WL movement is painful to those waiting (myself for SHSU included, and myself last cycle). It is a long, dragged out process. Settle in, don't check SDN every 5 mins like I do, and try to prepare yourself for all possible outcomes

April 30th even if one school is on tmdsas and the other is aacomas?

TMDSAS already did that on match day. Isn't it AMCAS?
Yes, they did it once on match day. But TMDSAS example:
Student ranks School A as #1
Ranks school B as #2

They match into school B, but then receive an offer post-match from school A. They can hold both of these offers until April 30th

Texas residents can receive offers from schools they ranked higher than their matched school until may 15th, after which point schools, if making offers to Texas residents, can only do so to those without acceptances

Are there any current students at SHSU on here who would be willing to answer a couple of questions that I have?

Yes, they did it once on match day. But TMDSAS example:
Student ranks School A as #1
Ranks school B as #2

They match into school B, but then receive an offer post-match from school A. They can hold both of these offers until April 30th

Texas residents can receive offers from schools they ranked higher than their matched school until may 15th, after which point schools, if making offers to Texas residents, can only do so to those without acceptances
Totally forgot you could get As off WL while holding an A.

SB 1563 was voted favorably by both the higher education subcommittee and education committee now. Next is a senate vote. HB 881 has been stagnant in the house appropriations committee since beginning of March.

SB 1563 was voted favorably by both the higher education subcommittee and education committee now. Next is a senate vote. HB 881 has been stagnant in the house appropriations committee since beginning of March.
Oh god please don't tease me

• Haha
do you know when the senate will vote?

I don’t want to dampen anyone’s enthusiasm and for the growth of SHSU I hope the bills pass, but passing the bill and actually getting the aid to the school might have a long time lag in between.

Reactions: 2 users

It’s on the intent calendar, so hopefully sometime this week or next week. Looking at the timeline of other senate bills, even if it passes the senate it will be in the house multiple weeks.

Edit: it passed the senate today (04/05/2023)

Last edited:
It’s on the intent calendar, so hopefully sometime this week or next week. Looking at the timeline of other senate bills, even if it passes the senate it will be in the house multiple weeks.

Edit: it passed the senate today (04/05/2023)
Do we have an idea when it will go through the house now?

I don’t think so. Looking at other bills the timeline varies quite a bit.
Just another question. Since the Senate bill got passed through, is it more likely that the house bill will also pass?

Just another question. Since the Senate bill got passed through, is it more likely that the house bill will also pass?

After scrolling through the data base from the last regular session (87th) and doing some napkin math I gathered this: 6927 bills were filed, 1918 bills were engrossed (meaning they passed in their originating house) and 1073 bills were enrolled. This means that 15.5% of bills that were filed and 55.9% of bills that were engrossed end up becoming a law. Not bad odds imo. Here’s the link to the data I used:

Update for those that didn’t make it to second look:

The dean said there’s no known opposition to the bill in the house and Abbot said he’d sign off on it if it passes. If it does pass they expect the upcoming semesters tuition to be lowered. No guarantees but it’s looking good.

Reactions: 5 users
Update for those that didn’t make it to second look:

The dean said there’s no known opposition to the bill in the house and Abbot said he’d sign off on it if it passes. If it does pass they expect the upcoming semesters tuition to be lowered. No guarantees but it’s looking good.
It has had some discussions in the House, and now that it's a house bill of course they gave it a different number:
HB881 | Texas 2023-2024 | Relating to the eligibility of Sam Houston State University to receive formula funding for the Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. | TrackBill

Just got off the waitlist as well! Email came through yesterday around 4pm… didn’t see it until today because it went to my promotions folder!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got off the waitlist as well! Email came through yesterday around 4pm… didn’t see it until today because it went to my promotions folder!
Congratulations! Could you share your thoughts and stats?

Withdrew my A today, good luck!

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is for SHSU to invite the next WL? I heard AMCAS is having trouble updating schools when someone withdraws, although I don’t know if that is true or if TMDSAS is having a similar problem.

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is for SHSU to invite the next WL? I heard AMCAS is having trouble updating schools when someone withdraws, although I don’t know if that is true or if TMDSAS is having a similar problem.
There is no connection to AMCAS, and there will probably be more WL action in TMDSAS after May 15, when the only new WL offers will go out to those with no other TMDSAS acceptances.
Hang on!

How many people do you think are in the waitlist pool? Like is everyone that was not accepted put into the waitlist category after receiving an interview?

Hey guys! Does anyone know for how we can hold more than one DO school offers of admission?
Here is what the AACOMAS traffic guidelines say. Direct quote from their page.

Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn.

That being said, if you have acceptances from schools you know you definitely won’t go to or if you have a top two that you’re choosing between, I’d say it’s probably best to drop those As sooner rather than later.