2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you complete?
In early October :) But I just graduated in Dec and this semester's grades improved my GPA pretty significantly so I think that could have helped lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In early October :) But I just graduated in Dec and this semester's grades improved my GPA pretty significantly so I think that could have helped lol

That’s awesome! Did you send them a letter of interest or how could they see your updated transcript?

That’s awesome! Did you send them a letter of interest or how could they see your updated transcript?
TMDSAS application portal allows you to update your grades at the end of a semester if you are applying while still in college. This update gets transmitted, through TMDSAS, to each school you applied to.
It can also help, once you have updated your TMDSAS grades section, to send a short update email to each school to say, "I had an excellent semester with all As,- I have updated my TMDSAS portal with this semester's results"

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS application portal allows you to update your grades at the end of a semester if you are applying while still in college. This update gets transmitted, through TMDSAS, to each school you applied to.
It can also help, once you have updated your TMDSAS grades section, to send a short update email to each school to say, "I had an excellent semester with all As,- I have updated my TMDSAS portal with this semester's results"
Yes, did both of these! thanks for explaining it so well, @wysdoc :)

How common is it for students to get loans for housing, specifically? The apartment I had been looking at right next to the school raised their rent from $1150 to $1600 and I am devastated lol

How common is it for students to get loans for housing, specifically? The apartment I had been looking at right next to the school raised their rent from $1150 to $1600 and I am devastated lol
It’s covered in the COA but 1600 is freaking steep… I’m sorry that sucks

The school provides the amount one can borrow and breaks it down to different areas.

If their published housing costs for the year and your rent are totally different you have to find money elsewhere.

Is there a second look? I thought I read that they did one in April but I cannot find that anywhere now.

does anyone know if there will be an update soon or if we will all have to wait till match day.

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone who worked at the college was so nice and I made so many new friends with the other kids interviewing (hey y'all!!) but damn that white coat try-on was such a cruel tease

Reactions: 1 users
everyone who worked at the college was so nice and I made so many new friends with the other kids interviewing (hey y'all!!) but damn that white coat try-on was such a cruel tease
You’ll be wearing it later this year again :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
does anybody know approximately how many people actually get accepted through the match system? Their class size is 162 so I was assuming 220ish people probably get an acceptance and then the match system does its magic

does anybody know approximately how many people actually get accepted through the match system? Their class size is 162 so I was assuming 220ish people probably get an acceptance and then the match system does its magic
Not exactly, after Match the class should have 160-162. The extra # of offers include those who got prematch offers but declined or withdrew, those who got prematch offers but ranked other schools higher in Match & don’t match there, and filling of spots after Match Day when people leave for other offers.

I think it’ll be more than 220ish since TCOM has posted they accepted 400+ in the last few years. I know SHSU is smaller so I’d assume 350ish at least

I see what you all are saying in that if you are including the number of prematch offers that went out, even those that were declined, it could add up to a larger number than there are seats in the class. But my understanding (and I think this is what @wysdoc is saying) is that on match day, the number that actually match will be around the same size as the entering class. Whenever the algorithm does its magic, it is constantly altering the list until those 160 seats are filled. And in that process where the algorithm sifts out people who ranked other schools higher, technically a greater amount of people are considered for those 160 spots as the names that chose other schools get filtered out from the schools list. Is that what y'all mean by acceptances?? If the class size is 160 maybe they would make a list 1-260 instead, but 350 + "acceptances" seems a little off I think for a school of this size. Of course I could be wrong, but I think that is how it works.

yeah I meant the applicants that get filtered out because they ranked other schools higher or declined their prematches as "accepted". I was predicting over 200 for sure. How many people does SHSU even interview?

yeah I meant the applicants that get filtered out because they ranked other schools higher or declined their prematches as "accepted". I was predicting over 200 for sure. How many people does SHSU even interview?
Ok that makes a lot more sense! And on interview day it seemed like there were 90 people and I am assuming there are 10 or so interview days... so I am going to guess anywhere between 900-1000 applicants.

IMG_7503.jpeg

Only comparing it to TCOM since it’s the “other” DO of Texas but I have 0 clue how much their adcom haha. I believe 2023 TCOM made around 450 acceptance offers and I remember the dean saying that was a bit much on their end haha.

From what I can tell, SHSU interviews about 1000 people.

If I remember correctly the main room we ate in during interview day could accommodate 80 students (40 seats per side). My interview day in Oct only had about 65 students. With 9 interview days reported on their AMP portal, that would be a max of 720 interviewed minus any days lacking max capacity. Seems weird for them to interview less with a higher class size, but maybe they're being more efficient

Do you guys know if they offer one of those Ms/Do or Mph/Do degree or if they allow you to take master classes simultaneously with their school of biomedical sciences

On my interview day, they mentioned that there were 9 interview days this cycle.

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone, hope it goes to one of you on Match Day!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone, hope it goes to one of you on Match Day!HiIf you don't mind, could you please share your interview date and when you expect to receive acceptance?
Hi! If you don't mind, could you please share your interview date and when did you receive your acceptance? Thanks.

Took a tour yesterday and they said they still have on more wave of prematch offers before match day! Good luck everyone!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Do we know when SHSUCOM’s match day is/when they will release match placements?

Do we know when SHSUCOM’s match day is/when they will release match placements?
National residency match day is March 11 and to see where people match the fastest way is to watch their match day if the school has a livestream broadcast.
Publication of lists takes longer because some students will opt out of having their info made public

Out of State acceptance, couldn't be more excited

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Prematch!!! I’m staying texas y’all !!!!

Reactions: 7 users
wait is the file review email good or bad lol? i feel like it's a bad sign to get it without a prematch?