2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a pre-match offer on 10/19 (2nd wave?). Initial interview was the 1st one on 7/21.

IS Non-trad, 34YO. Piss poor cumulative GPA. Decent sGPA. 4.0 DIY post-bacc 47~ hours which also fulfilled prereqs. 514 MCAT.

This was my only II thus far. I'm beyond excited (and relieved). I laid a goose egg last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I received a pre-match offer on 10/19 (2nd wave?). Initial interview was the 1st one on 7/21.

IS Non-trad, 34YO. Piss poor cumulative GPA. Decent sGPA. 4.0 DIY post-bacc 47~ hours which also fulfilled prereqs. 514 MCAT.

This was my only II thus far. I'm beyond excited (and relieved). I laid a goose egg last year.
Congratulations! All it takes is one.

Reactions: 2 users
I think we'll see that next wave of prematches coming out 2nd week of November. Only 3 interview days left for the cycle (11/3, 12/1, 1/19)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a grand old time at the SHSU-COM interview. Very lovely people and a very lovely campus (singular building). I wasn't very excited about the interview going in but came out much more interested in the school.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone think we will hear about pre-matches this coming week??

Reactions: 1 user
It’s possible since they just had an interview day last Friday. They’ll likely have some time to prematch people before the next interview on December 1st.
I don’t see a seat deposit on the checklist. Am I missing something?

It’s possible since they just had an interview day last Friday. They’ll likely have some time to prematch people before the next interview on December 1st.
I don’t see a seat deposit on the checklist. Am I missing something?

There's not a seat deposit? I don't recall having to pay one.

hi, to those who interviewed at sam houston, did you all send "thank you" emails or notes to anyone. I interviewed there a while back and they mentioned something about thank you notes, but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I think there was a QR code with more information at the end of the session. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on who I should send thank you notes to?

This is an appeal to applicants who had to take Casper for admission to Sam Houston State University.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

hi, to those who interviewed at sam houston, did you all send "thank you" emails or notes to anyone. I interviewed there a while back and they mentioned something about thank you notes, but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I think there was a QR code with more information at the end of the session. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on who I should send thank you notes to?
Send them to the admissions email and they will distribute them to your interviewers. Thats what I did

Reactions: 1 users
I will say that I did not send thank you notes (mostly because I didn't know how to or where to send them to) and I still got the A. So they are not super necessary but could be a great thing to send if you want to.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it’s been awhile probably just hold off haha

I think after you get the file review complete email they have probably already made their decision about you. At least that’s what I think.

Congrats y'all!!!

Interviewed first day and no prematch. Don’t worry yall who are still waiting, we’re in this together 😎

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
So for each "wave" of prematches is the course of multiple days ?

Does the review complete email mean they won’t look at your app again and have made a decision?

Got the prematch! IS, interviewed 10/13.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi y'all. Fortunate enough to get prematched, I'm just wondering what the next steps are. If I accept, what does that mean? Also, is there some sort of deposit to put down and how does that work? Lastly, as for transcripts I got an email from TMDSAS saying transcripts are now required? Anyone else got that?
Congratulations!
Send your transcripts to TMDSAS, you can wait until the end of Fall 2023 term if you are still a student.
Send your official transcripts directly to the school you end up matching to.
For some answers about pre-match offers see my post here: #417

Hi! I prematched too! You must accept your seat in the student portal first. This is not binding. You can hold all offers you receive, and you must submit your rank list in TMDSAS by Feb 2nd 5pm. There is no seat deposit, they would have told us otherwise. Almost no TMDSAS schools ask for deposits, with the exception of 1 or 2 but they will tell you if they do. Also, non-TMDSAS DO schools usually do require a rather large deposit, but not SHSU nor TCOM (the only DO schools on TMDSAS). Transcripts are required by TMDSAS because you prematched. Send them per the email you have 30 days to send them. I got that email too and most folks who got prematches also got it. I hope this helps! Oh and if you want to truly go to SHSU, make sure you rank them #1 so you can actually go there.

Congratulations!
Send your transcripts to TMDSAS, you can wait until the end of Fall 2023 term if you are still a student.
Send your official transcripts directly to the school you end up matching to.
For some answers about pre-match offers see my post here: #417
Just checking, but my TMDSAS email specified to send transcripts to TMDSAS within 30 days?

Just checking, but my TMDSAS email specified to send transcripts to TMDSAS within 30 days?
Their word rules over mine, LOL, but in a recent TMDSAS Office Hours YouTube session they said you can wait until grades are final if you're in school right now.

Never mind, both are accurate. Just wanted to clarify. From the email “TMDSAS recommends that transcripts be sent or postmarked within 30 days of this request to avoid delays in application validation.
Exception: If taking Fall 2022 courses, please wait until your grades have been released before sending us that institutions' transcript.”

Thank you for all the info! So I just ordered my transcript to be sent over to TMDSAS. Now I have another question, I see on the SHSU pre-matriculation there are a ton of things to be done. Also, I see that I have to mail a transcript to SHSU as well? When is all this stuff due to SHSU - transcript, immunizations, etc.
If you have had more than 1 interview wait until after Match Day & do all that paperwork for the school you match to

Thank you for all the info! So I just ordered my transcript to be sent over to TMDSAS. Now I have another question, I see on the SHSU pre-matriculation there are a ton of things to be done. Also, I see that I have to mail a transcript to SHSU as well? When is all this stuff due to SHSU - transcript, immunizations, etc.
Hey! Yah, what @wysdoc said!

Also, if you saw all the prematriculation stuff, you must have seen that in your portal? I ask because under both the PreMatriculation Tab and the Next Steps tab (under Admission Decision) they list all the dates when stuff is due by! I actually really like how they laid it all out. Looks like the deadline is June 14th.

I was wondering about prematches and rankings for the match. If I prematched here and ranked them last, i would still get in no matter what right? Unless I match to a school higher

I was wondering about prematches and rankings for the match. If I prematched here and ranked them last, i would still get in no matter what right? Unless I match to a school higher
It depends on whether you want to be on everybody's waitlist where you interviewed or if you have other prematches by then.

If you interview at 5, prematched to 2, consider the other 3 higher, then you rank those 1,2,3, the one you want to keep 4 and the one you want to give up 5.

During the match you may move up to 1 and lose all else or move up to 3 and lose your 2 prematches but be on waitlist for other 2.

Any OOS A's out there? If yes, please lmk when you interviewed. Congrats to everyone who has prematched!

Hey y'all are there opportunities for scholarships at SHSU?

For all practical purposes, Sam Houston has been a private medical school until this year where they were charging a full fee to attend since they had no funding from the state. With approved state funding to provide them similar cost difference comparable to other state schools, they are able to drop the tuition fee for everyone including MS2, MS3 etc. Unless they have some additional grant money from somewhere, it would be surprising to see any big scholarships.

Has anyone who pre matched last week received the email to create the SHSU account/castle branch account? It says 5-10 days for the email to be generated but I still haven't received it.

Thanks

• Hmm
I prematched first week of prematches in October and I just got that email yesterday, after almost a month….

I have not gotten the SHSU activation email but I have gotten all of the CastleBranch emails. Also, TMDSAS has still not approved my transcripts and it has been around 20 business days.

I have not gotten the SHSU activation email but I have gotten all of the CastleBranch emails. Also, TMDSAS has still not approved my transcripts and it has been around 20 business days.
TMDSAS also has not approved one of my transcripts, and it has been around 20 business days.