2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My prematch got withdrawn today since I matched with my top choice! Hopefully it goes out to someone on the WL ❤️

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does the matching algorithm not account for pre-matches?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight on how the waitlist is organized? Is it first-come, first-serve lol?

Does anyone have any insight on how the waitlist is organized? Is it first-come, first-serve lol?
You mean like Taylor Swift's ticket line? Sorry, not a day for jokes

Each school will line up its WL people according to their own priorities.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
By the way, thank you @wysdoc for the helpful advice and information throughout this whole process!!!!!
I have bombarded her with questions for the past 2 months, but he still manages to come through with the information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Officially matched this morning! I'm not sure if there's a discord or anything already, but feel free to join the GroupMe to meet future classmates!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted the offer,,, can't believe but I'm going to be a doctor 😭

Hope everyone has a blessing day!

Reactions: 6 users
I’m deciding between SHSUCOM and NYITCOM Arkansas. I’d rather remain in Texas, but NYITCOM is a lot more established. How we, I really liked my interview at SHSUCOM. I guess the only things holding me back from immediately jumping on my match at SHSUCOM are doubts about curriculum efficiency and residency placements. Can anyone chime in to help sway me more towards here?

I’m deciding between SHSUCOM and NYITCOM Arkansas. I’d rather remain in Texas, but NYITCOM is a lot more established. How we, I really liked my interview at SHSUCOM. I guess the only things holding me back from immediately jumping on my match at SHSUCOM are doubts about curriculum efficiency and residency placements. Can anyone chime in to help sway me more towards here?

At face value SHSU seems to have curriculum figured out since they have 99-100% board pass rates so far. They said they think it was the highest ever for a new DO school. As far as residency placements, UIWCOM matched their first class a couple years ago so I’m expecting something similar to that. You can google other new D.O. schools and see the quality of their first matches. The main aspect that worries me is the rotations. I know the rural community hospital rotations match their mission well but I can’t imagine it helps too much when matching. I’ve heard they’re also really big on OMM and it can be a burden in 3rd/4th year. I have nothing against OMM but I would rather the curriculum not hinder me on my rotations. I’m currently trying to decide between Sam and KCU so I’m also on the fence wanting to stay in Texas!

I know it's really early but any WL movement since yesterday?

I know it's really early but any WL movement since yesterday?
WL movement will happen when someone gets off a WL at another TX school, or leaves SHSU for a different acceptance OOS.
I think neither of these will happen this soon, but I like your optimism @Firetypestarter

At face value SHSU seems to have curriculum figured out since they have 99-100% board pass rates so far. They said they think it was the highest ever for a new DO school. As far as residency placements, UIWCOM matched their first class a couple years ago so I’m expecting something similar to that. You can google other new D.O. schools and see the quality of their first matches. The main aspect that worries me is the rotations. I know the rural community hospital rotations match their mission well but I can’t imagine it helps too much when matching. I’ve heard they’re also really big on OMM and it can be a burden in 3rd/4th year. I have nothing against OMM but I would rather the curriculum not hinder me on my rotations. I’m currently trying to decide between Sam and KCU so I’m also on the fence wanting to stay in Texas!
I interviewed with UIWSOM. They had a new dean and a strong student body. Interestingly, some of the faculties worked from Long medical school. They had a growing mindset (seemed like the dean eagers to support students to match to competitive specialties like ortho).
During my interview day with SHSU, I met current medical students who are involved in research for Derm, Radiology, and Surgeries.
I believe all DO schools in Texas are opening more opportunities for competitive specialties and improve the overall quality of education.

Btw is there a way I can change my username?? XD

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
WL movement will happen when someone gets off a WL at another TX school, or leaves SHSU for a different acceptance OOS.
I think neither of these will happen this soon, but I like your optimism @Firetypestarter
I was just checking out last year's 2021 SHSU page and saw a post saying they got off the WL during match day. I was just asking because I didn't want to get any sense of false hope. Then again I did see most people saying they got off the list around May/June.

• Wow
Btw is there a way I can change my username?? XD
Go to the top toolbar where you see your username and click, select account details and you will see an area to change your username.
It gets reviewed by a moderator before approval

I was just checking out last year's 2021 SHSU page and saw a post saying they got off the WL during match day. I was just asking because I didn't want to get any sense of false hope. Then again I did see most people saying they got off the list around May/June.
It's definitely possible as I know two classmates who got off the waitlist for UTMB for McGovern yesterday, but probably very unlikely for the majority of the population

Current MS1 at SHSU here. Just wanted to say that there are quite a few people from my class who got in from the WL. SHSU has good WL movement, so hopefully that picks up in the next several weeks. Good luck everybody and I hope that in the end, things turn out favorably for all of you.

In my truthful opinion, those of you who mentioned getting in somewhere else, if its a more established school I would go there instead. SHSU has many many kinks to work out and it is really chaotic. Our board scores have been really high so far so that is a plus. However, the burn out rate here is really high and things are not organized well. The only TX school I would rank SHSU above in MY personal opinion is UIW and perhaps UTRGV. At the end of the day though, med school is med school and it is a privilege to be on the other side regardless of where

Message me for anymore personal inquiries. Good luck to everyone who matched, and those who haven't... HANG IN THERE!

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
How long do we have to respond to our match offer and can you accept it and a OOS DO school at the same time?

Hello! I’m an OMS I at Sam. Like some of you, Sam was not my first choice so I was somewhat disappointed following the match. I worried a lot about the cost and the newness of the school.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised throughout my time at Sam. There are definitely kinks but, there are also a lot of positives. Medical school is hard but it can be a lot better if you maintain a positive mindset. If you do end up at Sam in the fall, know you’ll have great classmates, OMS 2s, and professors that want you to succeed.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I am more than happy to answer them!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know the length of the waitlist? I was waitlisted last year and didn’t get in so I’m hoping for some meaningful waitlist movement.

This bill is a second request for state subsidization funding of SHSU COM. If it were to pass, the tuition for SHSU COM could drop closer to the range of the other TMDSAS schools.

Since the bill was just filed on March 3 I don't know when it would come up for a vote, and its likelihood of passing depends on the state budget as well as the efficacy of its writers in convincing the other Texas senators to vote for it.

This bill is a second request for state subsidization funding of SHSU COM. If it were to pass, the tuition for SHSU COM could drop closer to the range of the other TMDSAS schools.

Since the bill was just filed on March 3 I don't know when it would come up for a vote, and its likelihood of passing depends on the state budget as well as the efficacy of its writers in convincing the other Texas senators to vote for it.

Thanks for the info! I know speculation isn’t great, but would you take this into consideration when choosing between Sam Houston and OOS DO schools? I know the odds of state funding isn’t great, but even just the slightest chance of saving that much money kinda pushes me towards the school.

Does accepting the offer of acceptance affect your waitlist acceptance at another school? Should I go ahead and accept the offer?
It does not. You are still eligible for other WL offers, from other TMDSAS schools, until May 15th.
After that date, WL offers can only go to OOS applicants or Texans holding no Texas acceptances.

Does accepting the offer of acceptance affect your waitlist acceptance at another school? Should I go ahead and accept the offer?

Welcome to SDN! just a quick tip: I’d recommend using an Alias and a profile picture without your photo on here.

Is there any insight on what percentage of past classes are originally from WL? I know other DOs are sometimes close to 50 percent

Thanks for the info! I know speculation isn’t great, but would you take this into consideration when choosing between Sam Houston and OOS DO schools? I know the odds of state funding isn’t great, but even just the slightest chance of saving that much money kinda pushes me towards the school.
Why would you say that the odds of state funding aren’t great?

The state is currently in a huge excess and is allocating spending toward healthcare. I think there's hope. Also, join the group me if you haven't already, someone posted it a few days ago

I was researching the subject and couldn’t find any significant changes from when they made the ruling until now. I’m not exactly fluent on state politics though. It’s great to hear what [mention]session6 [/mention] said as I really do hope the state provides funding. It looks like the bill was sent to the appropriations committee which meets on Thursday.

I was researching the subject and couldn’t find any significant changes from when they made the ruling until now. I’m not exactly fluent on state politics though. It’s great to hear what [mention]session6 [/mention] said as I really do hope the state provides funding. It looks like the bill was sent to the appropriations committee which meets on Thursday.
Gotcha. Do u know the reason they didn’t provide funding the first time around?