Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t believe so... JHU Amgen should be coming out beginning of March tho, so probs by the end of the week

If anyone's heard anything about JHU AMGEN pls let us know! If I don't get a call back from Dr. Strobach @jhu by the end of today, I might make the trek down to the JHU research office (I'm a student – don't know if I'm supposed to reveal personal info like that but oh well) and ask in person. So seriously if anyone knows anything/wants to try to call as well, please save me the trip because it's kind of far lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone's heard anything about JHU AMGEN pls let us know! If I don't get a call back from Dr. Strobach @jhu by the end of today, I might make the trek down to the JHU research office (I'm a student – don't know if I'm supposed to reveal personal info like that but oh well) and ask in person. So seriously if anyone knows anything/wants to try to call as well, please save me the trip because it's kind of far lol

I sent an email earlier this morning, so I’ll let you know if I get a response!

I sent an email earlier this morning, so I’ll let you know if I get a response!
Yeah I just sent an email about something else and tacked on a request for the admissions notification day at the end so hopefully I trick her into replying because they honestly might be flooded with calls/stuff about Amgen and don't want to deal with it. Hopefully they're nicer to their own undergrads (doubtful)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything back from all of the 3 SREIP sites until now. Does that mean I got rejected?

I haven't heard anything back from all of the 3 SREIP sites until now. Does that mean I got rejected?

The best answer I can give you is that we don't know unfortunately... It's all in the hands of the admissions committee, and you may very well be on the waitlist. It's hard to tell with programs not releasing decisions when they intended to and whether or not other people accept their position in the program. Keep hanging in there! We'll all be set by the end of March (Unless your program doesn't notify until April).

Denied from ACCESS Weill :( this process is so discouraging

Last edited:
Rejected from Georgetown Arches but got 2 interviews in the public health internships I applied to (UCLA Public Health Scholars Program)

Anyone else waiting for (or heard from) UT Southwestern SURF, BCMP SSP (Harvard), SUROC UNC, CCHF CSURP, NYU REU in Chemical Biology, or UCLA BIG Summer?

Last edited:
Anyone else waiting for (or heard from) UT Southwestern SURF, BCMP SSP (Harvard), SUROC UNC, CCHF CSURP, or UCLA BIG Summer?
I got accepted to UTSW on Sunday! If you haven't heard back, I'd wager (but can't be certain) that you're on their waitlist. The deadline for people who got offered to reply is Friday, so if I were you I'd wait until next week and then think about reaching out to see what your status is. However, I will say that because they have like 5 different SURF programs, each program might have slightly different timing in sending out their letters. I got accepted to the general biomedical one, but given that you've applied to a lot of Chemistry programs, I'll assume you applied to the Chem and QP SURFs. They may have a different timeline. Best of luck to you!

I got accepted to UTSW on Sunday! If you haven't heard back, I'd wager (but can't be certain) that you're on their waitlist. The deadline for people who got offered to reply is Friday, so if I were you I'd wait until next week and then think about reaching out to see what your status is. However, I will say that because they have like 5 different SURF programs, each program might have slightly different timing in sending out their letters. I got accepted to the general biomedical one, but given that you've applied to a lot of Chemistry programs, I'll assume you applied to the Chem and QP SURFs. They may have a different timeline. Best of luck to you!
Congratulations! I applied for the SURF, QP-SURF, and QP-SURF CHEMISTRY. From the email I initially received, it seems like they are letting us know by this Saturday at the latest. What are your stats (if you don't mind sharing)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope Yale actually releases BioMed decisions today lmao Wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t tho

Reactions: 1 users
I hope Yale actually releases BioMed decisions today lmao Wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t tho

Yeah Harvard had told me Monday and it didn't come til the day after so... yeah. Sorry if I hyped y'all up. If not today, then by tomorrow I'm sure.

Is anyone else waiting on Canary CREST? I had an interview two weeks back and was told they would release decisions on that Friday, but just heard back from the director that they still are processing applications.
Yeah I am. Did your prospective faculty mentor reach out for an interview or was it the program staff?

Yeah I am. Did your prospective faculty mentor reach out for an interview or was it the program staff?
I had a short phone interview with a prospective faculty mentor! He said that I would hear from them by the end of that week (Feb. 22), but when I emailed the program director yesterday, I was told they still need time to process applications.

For those who emailed/contacted UCB Amgen did they ever tell you a notification date? I contacted them last week and they told me they'll release decisions by march 1st lol

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody heard from University of Cincinnati or Wake Forest? Still waiting on those two.

Congratulations! I applied for the SURF, QP-SURF, and QP-SURF CHEMISTRY. From the email I initially received, it seems like they are letting us know by this Saturday at the latest. What are your stats (if you don't mind sharing)?
I don't mind sharing, but I believe they're on my page-- pretty sure it was Flamingo123 that asked about them. You're welcome to take a look! If you can't see them on my page then just reply and I'll do the ole copy-paste. However, I personally wouldn't read too much into comparing stats; every applicant is different in ways that the stats can't necessarily capture. I also think that the delay could feasibly be due to differences in when particular departments make their lists-- more people may apply to cancer bio than microbio or something like that, making it take longer for a particular department to be able to extend offers. I'm spitballing, of course, but that would make sense to me.

Also, @ruetherford , you should definitely be aware that if you're a current sophomore, it's a bit harder to get these placements. Whatever your year, don't take it too hard, but especially if you're a sophomore know that they kind of tip the scales in favor of current juniors. Just means you'll have a better chance next time! I applied to UTSW last year and was denied, and I had a higher GPA at that point in time, if that's any comfort.

Who was able to confirm this?
Not sure if you're asking who told me this or if anyone else on this thread can confirm, but I got the info when I called into their office and the lady said we would "definitely" know by Friday morning. I say "definitely" loosely.

I don't mind sharing, but I believe they're on my page-- pretty sure it was Flamingo123 that asked about them. You're welcome to take a look! If you can't see them on my page then just reply and I'll do the ole copy-paste. However, I personally wouldn't read too much into comparing stats; every applicant is different in ways that the stats can't necessarily capture. I also think that the delay could feasibly be due to differences in when particular departments make their lists-- more people may apply to cancer bio than microbio or something like that, making it take longer for a particular department to be able to extend offers. I'm spitballing, of course, but that would make sense to me.
Unfortunately I'm a junior, but I don't mind getting a rejection or waitlist too much at this point! Just hoping to be able to make an informed decision on where I end up this summer. I imagine for UTSW, I was probably submitted to computational bio/organic chem faculty, what about you?

Update: UCLA BIG Summer is sending out decisions by the end of this week.

******ACCEPTED******
PSU SURIP(2/14, yeeeeet)
Missouri NSF Neuroscience REU (1/23, rcotter)
Iowa SUMR (2/1, rcotter)
UNMC Md-PhD SURP (2/12, denzel6198)
BWH STARS (2/13, rcotter)
Northeastern Bio REU (2/14, rararara1099)
Johns Hopkins SIP (2/18, taduke21)
University of Pittsburgh (2/19, yeeeeet)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/19, tutw) (2/22, JC7878) (2/22, tetrisgod)
MD Anderson CPRIT CURE (2/19, Johnny117)
Tri-I ChBSP (2/18, Arodramaticity)
Mass General Hospital SRTP (2/20, Incomparable)
NIH BESIP (2/21, denzel6198)
Mayo CRISP (2/22, rcotter)
Fred Hutch SURP (2/21, mango107)
HSRPKM (2/25, bruh#578)
Michigan SMART (2/21, cherry1997)
UWashington/NIH NSSSP (2/27, rcotter)
Vanderbilt UCRIP (2/27, rcotter)
UPenn SUPERS (2/25, sighhk)
MCW SPUR (2/7, totoblablabla)
ORISE/CDC Biochemical Markers Fellowship (2/28, Amherst21)
UCSF SRTP (2/28, tetrisgod)
Advocate Health (3/1, wiswal)
WashU AMGEN (3/1,BioQuant423)
Northwestern SynBREU (2/26, tetrisgod)
UT Southwestern Amgen (3/1, Clayman9852)
UTK Microbiology REU (2/21, rainbow98)
Missouri Neuroscience REU (1/15, rainbow98)
UMichigan SROP (3/5, rainbow98)
Northeastern Biology REU (2/28, rainbow98)
*****WAITING******
Boston University
UT Houston
Emory University
UPenn
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Drexel University
Northwestern University
Washington University in St. Louis
NYU
Harvard DMS (Leadership Alliance)
JHU (Leadership Alliance)
UChicago (Leadership Alliance)
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Michigan NURO
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Rutgers Molec/Dev Neurobiology SURP
URochester/Strong Children's Research Center SP
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
Gateways to the Laboratory Weill
Brown University (Leadership Alliance)
University of Virginia (Leadership Alliance)
Columbia (Leadership Alliance)
Princeton (Leadership Alliance)
UTokyo Amgen
UT Southwestern SURF
UC Berkely Amgen
Yale Amgen
Vanderbilt MSTP
Upstate SURF
Icahn SoM SURP
UCSF AMGEN
Stanford AMGEN
Columbia AMGEN
Yale AMGEN
Harvard AMGEN
JHU AMGEN
Purdue (SROP)
MIT MSRP General
Rutgers (SROP)
Ohio State (SROP)
UIowa (SROP)
NYU Chemical Biology REU
The Scripps Research Institute REU/SURF
Vanderbilt Chemical Biology
University of Rochester MSTP

******REJECTED******
NIH-NIDDK STEP-UP (2/20, Amherst21)
Harvard HSCI
Brandeis CMV REU
NUS Amgen
Harvard Immunology Research Program (2/5, Amherst21)
Johns Hopkins SIP (2/28, Clayman9852)
Duke AMGEN

******ACCEPTED******
PSU SURIP(2/14, yeeeeet)
Missouri NSF Neuroscience REU (1/23, rcotter)
Iowa SUMR (2/1, rcotter)
UNMC Md-PhD SURP (2/12, denzel6198)
BWH STARS (2/13, rcotter)
Northeastern Bio REU (2/14, rararara1099)
Johns Hopkins SIP (2/18, taduke21)
University of Pittsburgh (2/19, yeeeeet)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/19, tutw) (2/22, JC7878) (2/22, tetrisgod)
MD Anderson CPRIT CURE (2/19, Johnny117)
Tri-I ChBSP (2/18, Arodramaticity)
Mass General Hospital SRTP (2/20, Incomparable)
NIH BESIP (2/21, denzel6198)
Mayo CRISP (2/22, rcotter)
Fred Hutch SURP (2/21, mango107)
HSRPKM (2/25, bruh#578)
Michigan SMART (2/21, cherry1997)
UWashington/NIH NSSSP (2/27, rcotter)
Vanderbilt UCRIP (2/27, rcotter)
UPenn SUPERS (2/25, sighhk)
MCW SPUR (2/7, totoblablabla)
ORISE/CDC Biochemical Markers Fellowship (2/28, Amherst21)
UCSF SRTP (2/28, tetrisgod)
Advocate Health (3/1, wiswal)
WashU AMGEN (3/1,BioQuant423)
Northwestern SynBREU (2/26, tetrisgod)
UT Southwestern Amgen (3/1, Clayman9852)
UTK Microbiology REU (2/21, rainbow98)
Missouri Neuroscience REU (1/15, rainbow98)
UMichigan SROP (3/5, rainbow98)
Northeastern Biology REU (2/28, rainbow98)
*****WAITING******
Boston University
UT Houston
Emory University
UPenn
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Drexel University
Northwestern University
Washington University in St. Louis
NYU
Harvard DMS (Leadership Alliance)
JHU (Leadership Alliance)
UChicago (Leadership Alliance)
Harvard/BCH SSRP
Harvard SHURP
JHU FARMS
UPenn UCSP
Dartmouth MPUS
Michigan NURO
NYU Langone SURP
Yale Sackler/NSF REU
Meharry Cancer SURP
USCD MSTP
Rutgers Molec/Dev Neurobiology SURP
URochester/Strong Children's Research Center SP
NUTORC
Weill Cornell ACCESS
UCSF SURP
HSCI
Gateways to the Laboratory Weill
Brown University (Leadership Alliance)
University of Virginia (Leadership Alliance)
Columbia (Leadership Alliance)
Princeton (Leadership Alliance)
UTokyo Amgen
UT Southwestern SURF
UC Berkely Amgen
Yale Amgen
Vanderbilt MSTP
Upstate SURF
Icahn SoM SURP
UCSF AMGEN
Stanford AMGEN
Columbia AMGEN
Yale AMGEN
Harvard AMGEN
JHU AMGEN
Purdue (SROP)
MIT MSRP General
Rutgers (SROP)
Ohio State (SROP)
UIowa (SROP)
NYU Chemical Biology REU
The Scripps Research Institute REU/SURF
Vanderbilt Chemical Biology
University of Rochester MSTP

******REJECTED******
NIH-NIDDK STEP-UP (2/20, Amherst21)
Harvard HSCI
Brandeis CMV REU
NUS Amgen
Harvard Immunology Research Program (2/5, Amherst21)
Johns Hopkins SIP (2/28, Clayman9852)
Duke AMGEN
Dartmouth MPUS already sent out acceptances. Yale Biomed was to release decisions today but no notifications yet.

Unfortunately I'm a junior, but I don't mind getting a rejection or waitlist too much at this point! Just hoping to be able to make an informed decision on where I end up this summer. I imagine for UTSW, I was probably submitted to computational bio/organic chem faculty, what about you?
So I don't know for sure because in my essays I expressed that I was willing to go wherever they had space, but I believe my top three choices were cancer bio, microbio, and neuro in that order. Not certain, but that feels like what I'd have put. I hope you get placed at UTSW, it'd be cool to meet someone from this thread this summer! But if it doesn't happen, I'm sure you've got other opportunities lined up. There are certainly more than one way to maximize your application summer.

I wouldn't say that yet, it depends on what departments you applied to and what sites too. Some sites take longer than others. Feel your pain tho

Anyone hear from Rutgers or hackensack?

Lowkeyhighkey think we got rejected from Hackensack lmaooo They said acceptances would be sent by the end of February but didn’t mention whether we would be notified if we were rejected... Some programs do that

Lowkeyhighkey think we got rejected from Hackensack lmaooo They said acceptances would be sent by the end of February but didn’t mention whether we would be notified if we were rejected... Some programs do that

It also says this on the FAQ section of their website: "An email and a letter will be sent to your attention the last week in March notifying you if you have or have not been accepted".
But then again, they also said exceptional candidates will be given a phone interview so your prob right about rejection.

I got my deadline to reply to Tufts BDBS extended! Feeling a lot less stressed now.

how??? I didn't think that was possible
I emailed them and asked politely. I do have some other issues to sort out (GRE, classes, etc.), so I structured my inquiry around avoiding prematurely accepting their decision.

Guys, I just spoke to someone about yale biomed amgen program. She says decisions have being going out since yesterday, and she isn't sure if applicants who are rejected get an email to that effect or if they just get a silent rejection. So, if you applied to yalebikmed you should hear back by Monday latest apparently.

Guys, I just spoke to someone about yale biomed amgen program. She says decisions have being going out since yesterday, and she isn't sure if applicants who are rejected get an email to that effect or if they just get a silent rejection. So, if you applied to yalebikmed you should hear back by Monday latest apparently.
*been

FYI: I applied to Hackensack last year and they never sent a rejection. In fact, I emailed them twice to see about dates, and they never even responded.

Does anyone know when Stanford SSRP AMGEN will send acceptances/rejections?

Does anyone know when Stanford SSRP AMGEN will send acceptances/rejections?
I've called them 3 (?) times now, but no response. I'll shoot them an email and see what's up.

I've called them 3 (?) times now, but no response. I'll shoot them an email and see what's up.
I emailed them and got an automated response back saying that they don't accommodate requests for application status :(

I emailed them and got an automated response back saying that they don't accommodate requests for application status :(
Hm. I emailed just to ask for an approximate notification date. Did you specifically ask for the status of your application/decision? I would think they would at least give us some indication of when they would notify us seeing as a ton of programs are asking for responses back.

Hm. I emailed just to ask for an approximate notification date. Did you specifically ask for the status of your application/decision? I would think they would at least give us some indication of when they would notify us seeing as a ton of programs are asking for responses back.

Ya I asked for my specific application status or at least when we would be notified but never got a response :(

Ya I asked for my specific application status or at least when we would be notified but never got a response :(
Yeah it seems like they're playing the waiting game with us. Oh well! It'll be okay. We'll power through. Did you need to get back to another program soon/have a hard deadline? I'm hoping I can squeeze some more time out of them because it looks like Berkeley and Stanford are just giving us nothing (at least anytime soon).

Yeah it seems like they're playing the waiting game with us. Oh well! It'll be okay. We'll power through. Did you need to get back to another program soon/have a hard deadline? I'm hoping I can squeeze some more time out of them because it looks like Berkeley and Stanford are just giving us nothing (at least anytime soon).

Yeah Berkeley and Stanford are ghosting us lol. But ya I have an offer that I have until tomorrow morning to accept. I would just hate to find out later that I got into Berkeley or Stanford bc really theyre my top choices. On the bright side, at least we got in somewhere!

Yeah Berkeley and Stanford are ghosting us lol. But ya I have an offer that I have until tomorrow morning to accept. I would just hate to find out later that I got into Berkeley or Stanford bc really theyre my top choices. On the bright side, at least we got in somewhere!

100% feel you! The program is asking for me to let them know by morning (Pacific Time) and I'm like crossing my fingers that somehow Berkeley and Stanford come to their senses and get back to us tomorrow morning. Definitely not going to happen knowing my luck but hey, might as well hope for the best.