Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
100% feel you! The program is asking for me to let them know by morning (Pacific Time) and I'm like crossing my fingers that somehow Berkeley and Stanford come to their senses and get back to us tomorrow morning. Definitely not going to happen knowing my luck but hey, might as well hope for the best.

Haha I feel you. Keep your head up--best of luck tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts on accepting an offer and then, if you get a better offer, ditching the first? I don’t want to but I’m weighing pros and cons if my dream program accepts me cry

Long time lurker here lol: here are my results so far
Accepted
2/18 Johns Hopkins SIP Pulmonary and Critical care
3/1 UCSF SRTP
3/7 Stanford SSRP Amgen

Waitlisted
2/28 Johns Hopkins SIP Basic Sciences

Rejected:
(late feb..forget exact day) Weill Cornell gateways via Leadership Alliance

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on accepting an offer and then, if you get a better offer, ditching the first? I don’t want to but I’m weighing pros and cons if my dream program accepts me cry
That's a jerk move. I would avoid that at all costs. If you have any intentions of applying to the school you have an offer at for MD or MD/PhD, don't even think about it. I doubt they would forgive or forget a move like that.

Accepted
3/1 UCSF SRTP
3/7 Stanford SSRP Amgen

Waitlisted
2/18 Johns Hopkins SIP Basic Sciences

Rejected:
Weill Cornell gateways via Leadership Alliance

Congrats!!! Those are some seriously heavyweight programs. Did you just hear back from Stanford? (Trying to gauge my chances of even getting a notification from them lol)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!! Those are some seriously heavyweight programs. Did you just hear back from Stanford? (Trying to gauge my chances of even getting a notification from them lol)
Thank you so much! It's been a wild cycle for sure. Yeah I just got the email half an hour ago and they want me to get back to them by March 12th. Also they said they reviewed 750ish applications and are accepting 40.

Reactions: 1 users
@installation2020 I apologize, that came off really aggressive. I don't think you're a jerk. But I do think that accepting a spot, letting someone plan for you, and then ditching and forcing them to scramble to get someone else puts them in a really bad place and could potentially be seen as a lack of respect for that institution. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I'd be surprised if that were the message that you wanted to send.

If I were you, I'd accept the one I have and not think any more about it. A bird in the hand is worth a thousand in the bushel.

Again, I'm sorry that I came off as going after you. I promise that that wasn't my intent, and I'm sorry that I failed to properly convey what I was trying to say.

Also, side note, I just want to tell all of you on this thread how incredibly proud I am of all of you. Whether you have the SURF of your dreams, one that you maybe aren't as jazzed about, or have yet to receive a placement, you've put in a ton of work to put yourself in the position you're in right now. All those reflective essay we had to write for these programs will, I think, be very useful for starting our personal statements and secondary app essays when applying to MD and MD/PhD programs in the fall. You've done good work to get to this point, even if you're just getting rejections. You deserve to be proud of yourselves.

Reactions: 11 users
@installation2020 I apologize, that came off really aggressive. I don't think you're a jerk. But I do think that accepting a spot, letting someone plan for you, and then ditching and forcing them to scramble to get someone else puts them in a really bad place and could potentially be seen as a lack of respect for that institution. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I'd be surprised if that were the message that you wanted to send.

If I were you, I'd accept the one I have and not think any more about it. A bird in the hand is worth a thousand in the bushel.

Again, I'm sorry that I came off as going after you. I promise that that wasn't my intent, and I'm sorry that I failed to properly convey what I was trying to say.

If there's any possibility you can get an extension, I'd say go for it. People can be pretty flexible if you really have a good reason to delay. It would just make it hard on the people running the programs to have to deal with sudden drops and adds because they probably have to handle a lot of things behind the scenes. I do get your frustration though! Best of luck with everything

It's okay! No hard feelings. I also totally agree with you - I'm just so frustrated over this whole, "You have to reply ASAP" thing. :p

If there's any possibility you can get an extension, I'd say go for it. People can be pretty flexible if you really have a good reason to delay. It would just make it hard on the people running the programs to have to deal with sudden drops and adds because they probably have to handle a lot of things behind the scenes. I do get your frustration though! Best of luck with everything

I could only get an extension from today to tomorrow at noon, but I'm also the only person in this internship (there's no one really behind the scenes except the PI), but I'm still waiting on my dream program, who said today that they'd get a decision back to me ASAP :yuck:

It's such a game - thanks everyone...

Accepted
3/1 UCSF SRTP
3/7 Stanford SSRP Amgen

Waitlisted
2/18 Johns Hopkins SIP Basic Sciences

Rejected:
Weill Cornell gateways via Leadership Alliance

Woah you're amazing! Congrats on your acceptances. And thank you for sharing where you got accepted. Knowing that SSRP came out already makes it easier for me to make a decision about my summer plans haha.

Friend of mine just got an email from Vanderbilt SSA an hour ago and got iin, so I guess Vandy is still sending them out

Members don't see this ad :)
If NYU SURP was actually going to have decisions released by tomorrow morning, wouldn't they have gone out tonight?

And as far as reneging on an offer to accept another, what if the offer you had was at a school you do not intend to apply to, but the new offer is from your dream med school? Agreed it's kind of a dick move, but...

Friend of mine just got an email from Vanderbilt SSA an hour ago and got iin, so I guess Vandy is still sending them out
oh no!!! seeing these comments, I think I didn't get the Stanford ssrp or Vanderbilt ssa because I have not received an email. On the bright side, Dartmouth mpus offered me a spot 3/4 but I've been kinda dragging it to see if I get in somewhere else. Do you guys know if any of these schools do silent rejections?

Accepted
3/1 UCSF SRTP
3/7 Stanford SSRP Amgen

Waitlisted
2/28 Johns Hopkins SIP Basic Sciences

Rejected:
(late feb..forget exact day) Weill Cornell gateways via Leadership Alliance
Your results are really impressive. Can you share your statistic or can I message you to ask something about applying ?

Has anyone heard anything from SROP Northwestern? I applied for chemistry division and haven't heard anything.

If NYU SURP was actually going to have decisions released by tomorrow morning, wouldn't they have gone out tonight?

And as far as reneging on an offer to accept another, what if the offer you had was at a school you do not intend to apply to, but the new offer is from your dream med school? Agreed it's kind of a dick move, but...

When I called, the person first said "all results will be out on Friday." When I asked what time of day (since I needed to respond to something by Friday at noon), she said "definitely in the morning." But like honestly with the way things have been going, it might not come tomorrow at all. Who knows.

And for your second question... idk to me it's not really about setting yourself up to do well for med/grad school apps. It's more like they have these deadlines for a reason, often so they can start pulling from the waitlist. I imagine everyone here knows what it's like to be on a waitlist, and it sucks. So idk, I just feel like it's holding a spot hostage that you didn't really want, and if you tell them of your decision to drop out of the program too late, they may not be able to do much about the waitlist spots anymore (since I assume the people on the waitlist would have accepted other offers in the meantime).

I could only get an extension from today to tomorrow at noon, but I'm also the only person in this internship (there's no one really behind the scenes except the PI), but I'm still waiting on my dream program, who said today that they'd get a decision back to me ASAP :yuck:

It's such a game - thanks everyone...
Totally get that frustration. It really would be nice if there were a system where every school had to get back to applicants by a certain point, and then maybe we'd have a week after that to make a decision. But unfortunately they don't ask me my opinion on these matters...

Has anyone heard back from Case Western SURP? Last year they released decisions in mid-February apparently

Hey everyone!

Hope you all are doing well. I decided to go with the BWH STARS Program and sent out updates pertaining to my decision to all the other institutions to which I applied. Wanted to thank all of you for being such a supportive community filled with information and advice. It's been a pleasure struggling through this together. If you didn't get the decision you were hoping for, try to keep your chin up and use this as a learning experience - I poured months into my Truman application and didn't get chosen as a finalist, which absolutely sucked, but I feel that it prepared me tremendously well for formulating my applications for these summer programs and it will definitely help with med school apps in the future. I hope everyone on this thread is able to find some meaning and knowledge through this process and that it helps everyone to become better students, applicants, and future doctors!

My final list:

Selected: BWH STARS (Harvard Medical School)

Accepted:
BWH STARS
Missouri Neuro REU
UM-NURO
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Mayo CRISP
UWash/NIH NSSSP
Iowa SUMR MSTP

Waitlisted:
JHU (Leadership Alliance)
UM-SMART (waitlisted, but then invited to interview but declined it)

Rejected:
Dartmouth MPUS (really nice rejection letter though lol)
Fred Hutch Cancer SURP

Withdrew Application:
UPenn UCSP
Leadership Alliance (Harvard and UChicago)
Rocherter Med SCRC STP
NYU Langone SURP
Mayo SURF
Yale Sackler REU
Rutgers NeuroSURP
UCSD MSTP
Rutgers NeuroSURP

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk stats.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys! So, I talked to Washu's Summer research program and have heard that all the inital acceptances have been sent out already for the BiomedRAP program. They mentioned that if you did not receive an acceptance or a rejection yet than you're waitlisted. I have not received anything yet.. Has anyone received an acceptance or rejection yet from any of the Washu programs?

Hey guys! So, I talked to Washu's Summer research program and have heard that all the inital acceptances have been sent out already for the BiomedRAP program. They mentioned that if you did not receive an acceptance or a rejection yet than you're waitlisted. I have not received anything yet.. Has anyone received an acceptance or rejection yet from any of the Washu programs?

I applied to WashU Amgen and haven't heard anything back.

Is it appropriate to email a program that sent me a rejection and ask them if there is anything that stood out to them as a reason to reject and is there a way to improve my application? They may just say there were better candidates but I'm really looking for feedback here.

Hey everyone!

Hope you all are doing well. I decided to go with the BWH STARS Program and sent out updates pertaining to my decision to all the other institutions to which I applied. Wanted to thank all of you for being such a supportive community filled with information and advice. It's been a pleasure struggling through this together. If you didn't get the decision you were hoping for, try to keep your chin up and use this as a learning experience - I poured months into my Truman application and didn't get chosen as a finalist, which absolutely sucked, but I feel that it prepared me tremendously well for formulating my applications for these summer programs and it will definitely help with med school apps in the future. I hope everyone on this thread is able to find some meaning and knowledge through this process and that it helps everyone to become better students, applicants, and future doctors!

My final list:

Selected: BWH STARS (Harvard Medical School)

Accepted:
BWH STARS
Missouri Neuro REU
UM-NURO
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Mayo CRISP
UWash/NIH NSSSP
Iowa SUMR MSTP

Waitlisted:
JHU (Leadership Alliance)
UM-SMART (waitlisted, but then invited to interview but declined it)

Rejected:
Dartmouth MPUS (really nice rejection letter though lol)
Fred Hutch Cancer SURP

Withdrew Application:
UPenn UCSP
Leadership Alliance (Harvard and UChicago)
Rocherter Med SCRC STP
NYU Langone SURP
Mayo SURF
Yale Sackler REU
Rutgers NeuroSURP
UCSD MSTP
Rutgers NeuroSURP

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk stats.

Wow! Congrats!
Can you please PM me? It doesnt allow me to PM you for some reason.

I applied to WashU Amgen and haven't heard anything back.
I don't mean to dissapoint, but I think BioQuant got accepted to Washu Amgen on March 1. Still waiting to bear bacl from other programs.

Is it appropriate to email a program that sent me a rejection and ask them if there is anything that stood out to them as a reason to reject and is there a way to improve my application? They may just say there were better candidates but I'm really looking for feedback here.
I did this last year! Got some decent feedback. Just make sure that you don't sound like you're moping but that they understand that you really are just trying to improve yourself.

I called Berkeley Amgen and they *finally* answered. They said my decision would come out sometime later today, but that they’re still processing things and are running behind schedule. So if you haven’t heard anything, it might be worth a shot to call in and ask about the status of your app

[
I called Berkeley Amgen and they *finally* answered. They said my decision would come out sometime later today, but that they’re still processing things and are running behind schedule. So if you haven’t heard anything, it might be worth a shot to call in and ask about the status of your app

I got my rejection from stanford SSRP today lmaoo. I already accepted an offer so I swear if berkeley sends me an acceptance I'm gonna be livid.

I don't mean to dissapoint, but I think BioQuant got accepted to Washu Amgen on March 1. Still waiting to bear bacl from other programs.

Yeah I saw that, thanks for the heads up! I just want a firm yes or no before I commit to anything.

[

I got my rejection from stanford SSRP today lmaoo. I already accepted an offer so I swear if berkeley sends me an acceptance I'm gonna be livid.

Rip yeah you should just call Berk and see if they can give you a timeline for notification bc they’re rolling it out on a case by case basis it seems

Anybody heard back from Mayo surf within the past couple of days? I am trying to stay optimistic lol.
Hope breeds eternal misery - Pretty Little Liars

Anyone hear back from MCHC/RISE-UP? This wait is killing me

When I've gotten rejections from 2/7 programs that I applied to and haven't heard back from anything else, there's nothing I can do other than eat a ton of tiramisu and hope a bit of fortune comes my way

When I've gotten rejections from 2/7 programs that I applied to and haven't heard back from anything else, there's nothing I can do other than eat a ton of tiramisu and hope a bit of fortune comes my way

Might be time to switch to eating fortune cookies over tiramisu haha, jk but I feel that right now

Has anyone received anything from UTSW (waitlist or rejection wise)? They said they would notify us before 03/09..

Has anyone received anything from UTSW (waitlist or rejection wise)? They said they would notify us before 03/09..
Nope. I'm just hoping for atleast a waitlist position at this point.

I just want to say I'm pretty sure my summer research application journey is over, and not just for this summer but forever! This was basically the first and last year I was eligible to apply for the majority of these programs since I'm a current sophomore and planning on graduating after my junior year. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the support, whether it was advice or sharing our suffering. If I somehow get any new mindblowing information, I'll definitely update in this thread, but for now, good luck if you're still waiting to hear back! I hope everyone has an amazing summer!

Ended up accepting UT Southwestern’s Amgen Scholars offer yesterday. To summarize:

*Accepted*
UT Southwestern Amgen
UNMC MD-PhD Summer Scholars

*Rejected*
Johns Hopkins SIP
Dartmouth MPUS
Berkeley Amgen
Upstate SURF
Vanderbilt
Mayo Clinic SURF

*Withdrew*
Icahn SoM SURP
WashU Amgen
UTokyo Amgen

This is a friendly reminder that, for the vast majority of individuals, there are many rejections behind every acceptance. I suspect forums like this are biased toward reports of acceptances, so I hope my reporting of rejections acts as encouragement for those who haven’t received an acceptance yet.

No matter what kind of student you are, apply far and wide and hope you get lucky! You need only ONE committee to say yes!

Reactions: 5 users
*Rejected*
Johns Hopkins SIP
Dartmouth MPUS
Berkeley Amgen
Upstate SURF
Vanderbilt
Mayo Clinic SURF

!

How do you know you were you were rejected from mayo did they update your portal?

Accepted UMich and ended my journey:

*Accepted*
UM-SMART (Umich MSTP)
Cincinnati Children's Hospital SURF

*Waitlisted*
MassGen SRTP
Vanderbilt MSTP

*Rejected*
BWH STARS
NYU LA
Johns Hopkins LA
(probably Harvard LA because I have haven't heard a peep from them)

Reactions: 3 users
How do you know you were you were rejected from mayo did they update your portal?
I emailed them indicating that I had an offer and needed to make a decision soon. They emailed me back explaining that my application wasn’t ranked high enough to make it likely that I would receive an offer.

UTSW is now late ;)
17bd0f2795f5b7f6688458473c8a59c1.jpg

Also, has anyone heard from JHU Institute for Computational Medicine?

Accepted:
SPURS at Columbia University Medical Center

Rejected:
UVM SNURF

Asked for Interview:
Emergency Medicine Volunteer Research Internship

This is my first program acceptance besides my college's SURF program and I am so happy