The official waiting for May 15th thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to give you guys a leap of hope because I'm sending in my letter declining my acceptances at all but one school. I want to appologize for holding out so long, but it was tough to make the decision as I wanted to go to all the schools!

GOOD LUCK GUYS! and keep your heads up!

You did the hard work and got the acceptances, so no need to apologize for holding out, but thanks for your honesty and consideration. Congratulations to you, and hopefully all of your spots at the various schools go to us needy SDN'ers, still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

This actually happened to my friend's cousin's next door neighbor. He was on HMS waitlist, but missed the call. The next year because he was a re-applicant, he couldn't get in anywhere, and does insurance sales for State Farm now.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :confused:
Artfully done, though, regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
This actually happened to my friend's cousin's next door neighbor. He was on HMS waitlist, but missed the call. The next year because he was a re-applicant, he couldn't get in anywhere, and does insurance sales for State Farm now.

that's so.............unfair. but you know, this whole process is QUITE unfair as well. :( sorry for your friend's cousin's next door neighbor.

May 15th does not apply to D.O schools right?

I have seen this addressed on a few threads.
There is no hard-and-fast deadline for D.O. schools.
However, D.O. schools, for the most part, have you pay exorbitant deposits for "holding your seat." Therefore, D.O. acceptees holding multiple acceptances have to make a decision to avoid paying multiple deposits. Because most of the final deposits are due by May 15, this could also signify a good landmark for movment.

However, it is conceivable that a student accepted at multiple D.O. schools could have all their deposits in by May 15 (at 3 different schools at $1000 each, for example) and then hold all three until matriculation, if the above logic holds.

It's not paranoia actually, because Buffalo does this post June 15th, they even sent and e-mail explicitly stating that if they can't get to you by phone when they call they continue down the waitlist. They don't have to just get to you though, it said you could leave numbers for parents, etc. for them to call.

This obviously varies by school, and even BU doesn't start doing this hardcore skipping thing until June 15th.

can anyone enlighten me on why it takes them a freakin ~30 days to get back to us ? they already have the number of students who WILL be coming to the school. I mean, how long does it take to fill these seats, since most school (probably all, but dont want to admit it) have a ranking system anyhow.

/rant

I have been an atheist for quite some time. That said, if I get good news in the post-5/15 hustle and bustle, that position may require some serious review to remain intellectually defensible for my part.

Today is the day. I have to bump this thread. Good luck everyone!:luck:

I'm thinking that May 16 will be the beginning of the flood of acceptances....May 15 is just the "due date" for everyone with multiple acceptances to choose one school... What do you think?

I'm thinking that May 16 will be the beginning of the flood of acceptances....May 15 is just the "due date" for everyone with multiple acceptances to choose one school... What do you think?

Since when did anything in the medical school admissions process take one day? Wishful thinking, my friend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when did anything in the medical school admissions process take one day? Wishful thinking, my friend!

Not necessarily. If you dig through last year's forum for your school of interest, you can find out exactly when SDNers started receiving acceptances from the waitlist.

Not necessarily. If you dig through last year's forum for your school of interest, you can find out exactly when SDNers started receiving acceptances from the waitlist.

True...my WL school didn't start until about the 27th of May last year. So I guess for me it probably won't be starting tomorrow, but perhaps for another lucky fellow!

Ah, I just hope we all get accepted into our preferred school....

can anyone enlighten me on why it takes them a freakin ~30 days to get back to us ? they already have the number of students who WILL be coming to the school. I mean, how long does it take to fill these seats, since most school (probably all, but dont want to admit it) have a ranking system anyhow.

/rant
Hmm that's should say UB btw, not BU, but the June 15th thing is just when they start calling people and skipping them if nobody picks up. They give out acceptances before June 15th too, but they start skipping people in the waitlist until June 15th.

Dunno what BU's policy is.

So if I don't receive a phone call from any of my waitlist schools in the next few days can I consider it a rejection? Do most schools call or send letters?

So if I don't receive a phone call from any of my waitlist schools in the next few days can I consider it a rejection? Do most schools call or send letters?
Varies by school and the waitlist process and finalizing rosters takes all summer.

People can get in off waitlists until just before a school starts so don't assume you were rejected just because you don't get called this week. A lof of schools don't even bother ranking their waitlists til' this week and won't get the first calls out until next week/some even next month.

as the OP, I officially request to change the name of the thread to "omg it's after may 15th, when will they call me?!"

I'm dying to call and find out how many people they've accepted already (10 as of the May 1), but the school specifically said in their letter not to inquire more than once a month. So I'll try and be good, and wait at least until the end of the month to call them.

"I hate waiting..." Inigo Montoya (princess bride)

Celebrating some May 15 birthdays:

Don Nelson, Head Coach, Golden State Warriors (WE BELIEVE!)
John Smoltz of the Atlanta Braves
Emmitt Smith, most notably of the Dallas Cowboys
Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
Rod Smith, Denver Broncos
Amy Chow, US Olympic Gymnast

May 15 is also the start of Joe Dimaggio's record 56-game hitting streak.
Also the day that McDonald's was founded (I'm sure premeds love this one.)

Yes, as you can see, I've been waiting for May 15th to come, and it hasn't done anything for me, so far. :)

Celebrating some May 15 birthdays:

Don Nelson, Head Coach, Golden State Warriors (WE BELIEVE!)
John Smoltz of the Atlanta Braves
Emmitt Smith, most notably of the Dallas Cowboys
Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
Rod Smith, Denver Broncos
Amy Chow, US Olympic Gymnast

May 15 is also the start of Joe Dimaggio's record 56-game hitting streak.
Also the day that McDonald's was founded (I'm sure premeds love this one.)

Yes, as you can see, I've been waiting for May 15th to come, and it hasn't done anything for me, so far. :)

. . . Nice one StringerBell, your sports references are much appreciated. . . I'm a warriors fan as well, and their playoff run has definitely given me a rise through this grueling process :)

Good luck to you and everyone else !!!

I'm waiting on jefferson too. Medschoolfool when you got your jeff waitlist letter did it say a certain alternate "category" you were in? mine said i was placed in a "high priority category" but there was no explaination of what that meant and i'm from far away so i don't know anyone else applying there. jefferson is my first so i hope they start moving fast.

My letter also said I am in the "high priority category", but I have no idea what that means exactly. I guess we will find out soon if it's good or not. Good luck.