The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To be fair, I do think there is a big difference standard musicals and sung-through musicals and sung-throughs can sometimes be more difficult to follow if you have a difficult time distinguishing words when sung or if you like having dialogue to set some context for songs. Les Mis was probably a lot for the average movie goer.
I agree! But that's part of why I loved Les Mis, cause it was basically a recorded musical.

I took my little brother to see it and had tried to tell him it was a full on musical and not the kind he's use to. He wouldn't listen of course and hated it :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree! But that's part of why I loved Les Mis, cause it was basically a recorded musical.

I took my little brother to see it and had tried to tell him it was a full on musical and not the kind he's use to. He wouldn't listen of course and hated it :p
I mean, I don't know if I would qualify it as any more or less of a musical than musicals with spoken dialogue. Sung-throughs aren't as common as I thought they were (the big ones that come to mind for me aside from Les Mis are Cats, Evita, Hamilton, Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Miss Saigon, Repo! the Genetic Opera, and maybe Rent and Phantom of the Opera if you're willing to forgive a few scattered lines of dialogue here and there), and there are definitely parts of the style that really get on my nerves (my god, recitative gets really irritating sometimes) and there are other times when it really doesn't suit itself well to certain genres. The big thing I'm thinking of is comedy, where the pacing and timing of a joke can be extremely difficult to get across right (and in a way that the audience is paying attention to it) in a sung-through whereas the tone would get across much better in a standard musical.

But then again, I just like musicals and am going on a really hard tangent right now.

I mean, I don't know if I would qualify it as any more or less of a musical than musicals with spoken dialogue. Sung-throughs aren't as common as I thought they were (the big ones that come to mind for me aside from Les Mis are Cats, Evita, Hamilton, Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Miss Saigon, Repo! the Genetic Opera, and maybe Rent and Phantom of the Opera if you're willing to forgive a few scattered lines of dialogue here and there), and there are definitely parts of the style that really get on my nerves (my god, recitative gets really irritating sometimes) and there are other times when it really doesn't suit itself well to certain genres. The big thing I'm thinking of is comedy, where the pacing and timing of a joke can be extremely difficult to get across right (and in a way that the audience is paying attention to it) in a sung-through whereas the tone would get across much better in a standard musical.

But then again, I just like musicals and am going on a really hard tangent right now.
YAAAAAAASSSSSSS JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOATTTTTTTTTTTTT

Members don't see this ad :)

By "full on" musical I just meant the kind where literally everything is going to be sung :p he'd never seen one where anything but actual songs where sung.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh and can we also talk about Russell Crowe as Javert? I was actually kind of sad they cast him because he's a great actor but his singing voice was just not strong enough to carry such a big role, especially when the rest of the cast were either fairly good singers or had musical theater backgrounds. I think he lacked the oomph and technical flair I want to see in a Javert.

(psst this is my same gripe about Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and can we also talk about Russell Crowe as Javert? I was actually kind of sad they cast him because he's a great actor but his singing voice was just not strong enough to carry such a big role, especially when the rest of the cast were either fairly good singers or had musical theater backgrounds. I think he lacked the oomph and technical flair I want to see in a Javert.

(psst this is my same gripe about Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera)
I like them both in their roles. Fite me.

I like them both in their roles. Fite me.
giphy.gif

I was gonna post something about Norm Lewis and Philip Quast but then I started thinking about Fun Home and I seriously want to know if any of you have ever listened to it because it's amazing and such a great musical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was gonna post something about Norm Lewis and Philip Quast but then I started thinking about Fun Home and I seriously want to know if any of you have ever listened to it because it's amazing and such a great musical.

Is this based on Alison Bechdel's graphic memoir because if yes then I need to listen to it

I didn't think you where :p but a lot of people complained about that when it first came put. And its like duh? Haha
I saw Les Mis in London the same trip I saw Wicked and the Lion King. Me having hearing loss, I much prefer the Wicked/ Chicago type where it's not a sung-through. Otherwise, normally, I literally cannot hear a word that's being sung.

Although, I saw Hamilton in Chicago and they have headsets in the coatroom for borrow, and the sound techs auto adjust the mics for the headsets as well. It was crystal clear to hear, and I was able to turn it up as loud as I wanted, and it was live (not just a recording- when Joshua Henry forgot the lines in Your Obedient Servant, I heard it on the headsets as well) and I actually cried that they thought of people like me who experienced that problem.

Reactions: 4 users
I was gonna fite you but I was looking up really gay musicals. I'm going to post some stuff from Hedwig and the Angry Inch now because I love that one too.

unrelated but related, but NPH was in a series of unfortunate events and sung the theme songggggg (which has been stuck in my head for 3 days, it's fine) AND there was a singy bit at the end of the last one too

lol so i was listening to the first one and i was like WOW THIS IS A LONG SONG. apparently it was on autoplay and played 1 or 2 more. :rofl:
Yeah it's on a playlist lol. I was too lazy to dig up the individual songs. Love that soundtrack though, it's really great to work out to.

Yeah it's on a playlist lol. I was too lazy to dig up the individual songs. Love that soundtrack though, it's really great to work out to.
i was just shocked that it was like a 12 minute song hahaha. apparently it was two songs and i didnt realize there was a break haha

Last edited:
So is it better to have an understanding of the WW theme to play? Cause.... I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies before.......

So is it better to have an understanding of the WW theme to play? Cause.... I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies before.......

Depends on the game whether the knowing the theme will help you substantially or not. I've played plenty of games with themes I was barely familiar with though.

Not necessary to play but you should go watch star wars anyway
Confession i haven't seen any of the lord of the rings either
Good lord woman!

Wasn't it you who also didn't recognize Indiana Jones?

Apparently.

Confession i haven't seen any of the lord of the rings either

You'd enjoy the hobbits. Child like race that's obsessed with eating smoking and drinking

LOTR is best if you watch all of them in one sitting and no bathroom breaks

(don't do that actually, you'll die)

Although my favorite way to watch LOTR is to watch Legolas in the background of every scene. Hilarious.

Reactions: 3 users
Bond movies are excellent, but I am very partial to the super cheesy/campy ones from the 80's and earlier. Current ones take themselves too seriously, when the reason I fell in love with Bond movies is because in one of them a villain strangles a guy to death with his Walkman cord