The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m just going to go ahead and take @SkiOtter and I off the possibly facilitator list... for... reasons
:bag:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I TRIED OKAY
82415911-E717-4431-B490-BF4DE61B369C.gif

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
We’re playing games on discord if anyone would like to play :)

I also have interest in participating in the secret Santa gift exchange!

Lol we just need to recruit someone to run it. I just don't have the emotional bandwidth to do it right now but I might be willing to help someone else coordinate

Lol we just need to recruit someone to run it. I just don't have the emotional bandwidth to do it right now but I might be willing to help someone else coordinate

Anyway I'm happy to run it if there's interest :)
Ooooh weird SDN update thing... anyways I think dubz volunteered???

Got sent off by my boss early today because of the weather/road conditions. There's supposed to be freezing rain overnight, so I may get to work from home tomorrow, too.

d65350badaede26fa1f3ecc1a589046b.gif

Also, happy belated birthday, @Animal Midwife! I hope that you had a great weekend. :)
I remember getting sent home from work the day after Biden was projected winner. I was so excited because I thought that it was a precaution taken in case there was a riot, sucked to find out that a coworker tested positive for Covid so they had to shut the place down

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll go read up on how the heck to run an online secret Santa and then get a thread for that up probably on Sunday. Sorry that means missing the black Friday sales but limited time for extracurriculars before then :p

I'll go read up on how the heck to run an online secret Santa and then get a thread for that up probably on Sunday. Sorry that means missing the black Friday sales but limited time for extracurriculars before then :p
If you need help, I’m happy to help you get it set up. You’ll find it’s actually easier to set up than WW

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I can help too! Seems like in a good year trying to send gifts to Canada is poor at best and with covid... Well, anyway, I can help run it hahaha

• Love

Just run it through elfster then the person setting it up can participate too. No need to make it complicated.

Just run it through elfster then the person setting it up can participate too. No need to make it complicated.
Oh that makes it super easy, thank you!!
I can probably get it set up tonight in that case.

@cdo96 @SARdoghandler I'm happy for you guys to help but it seems like there won't actually be much work for us with this website doing everything

Reactions: 2 users
Oh that makes it super easy, thank you!!
I can probably get it set up tonight in that case.

@cdo96 @SARdoghandler I'm happy for you guys to help but it seems like there won't actually be much work for us with this website doing everything
Can the organizer check the website later for pairings? I think the main reason people had been doing it by hand was to make sure they could hound people who hadn't sent gifts by the deadline/keep track of who had sent things but I haven't looked into how this website works

Can the organizer check the website later for pairings? I think the main reason people had been doing it by hand was to make sure they could hound people who hadn't sent gifts by the deadline/keep track of who had sent things but I haven't looked into how this website works

This is correct in my experience from helping out last year

Per my experience, the organizer can see who everyone is matched to. So if there were any shenanigans they can look things up.

I'd still set up a sign up thread and then individually PM the elfster link so there aren't random people signing up.

Does Elfster have a way to OK international vs. not international gifts? That's usually a question so someone doesn't get stuck sending to Canada if they don't have the extra money for international shipping.

Does Elfster have a way to OK international vs. not international gifts? That's usually a question so someone doesn't get stuck sending to Canada if they don't have the extra money for international shipping.
It does! Checked this morning

• Love
@cubsrule4e I'm on my ophtho rotation right now, and we're talking about temporary tarsorrhaphies and my first thought was "hmm do we do this in humans?? hmm I should ask cubs...waaaaait... I think I already have"

I have asked... multiple times... oops. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
@cubsrule4e I'm on my ophtho rotation right now, and we're talking about temporary tarsorrhaphies and my first thought was "hmm do we do this in humans?? hmm I should ask cubs...waaaaait... I think I already have"

Do you ever have a patient come in for a recheck with tarsorrhaphies in and they make you do (or attempt) an ocular exam before they take them out? Because I had to do that... twice.

But when someone else's patient came in they were like "oh, let's just take these out first so it's easier for you" and I was just like :yeahright:

Do you ever have a patient come in for a recheck with tarsorrhaphies in and they make you do (or attempt) an ocular exam before they take them out? Because I had to do that... twice.

But when someone else's patient came in they were like "oh, let's just take these out first so it's easier for you" and I was just like :yeahright:
We didn't have to do that, no!

what are some things to know about buying a 2yo female Dumpy Tree frog? $20 good? what accessories? temp and humidity regulartion, etc. what environment? what diet? spill please. thanks :)

same with any vet care needed for a new owner and if this requires exotics or SA GP can handle.

asking for a friend. i'm in no hurry, but i've always wanted my own pet someday. never had one.
Relatively few vets are going to know much about amphibians, so exotics for sure.

There are some good websites out there for general care for different species.

I legit thought I just got a notification for an old post because deja vu

• Haha
What do you guys think about this scholarship question
"As a veterinarian and potential Zoetis Scholarship recipient, briefly describe how you will give back to your profession or community."
which has a 5000 character maximum?

Do they actually want a brief answer or do they want an essay? 🤔

What do you guys think about this scholarship question
"As a veterinarian and potential Zoetis Scholarship recipient, briefly describe how you will give back to your profession or community."
which has a 5000 character maximum?

Do they actually want a brief answer or do they want an essay? 🤔
So a 5000 character essay is on average 500-1000 words. Which is pretty brief for essay/ scholarship purposes, IMO. I would just stick to the character limits

I usually buy a little 2-3' real tree and put it on a side table and decorate. It's very very full of ornaments at this point, and has a fantastic Santa sloth topper that I modified from a dog toy a couple years ago.

This year feels like it could use more festivity, but I'm torn about whether I really want to commit to a full sized tree. Someone convince me one way or another. :p

I usually buy a little 2-3' real tree and put it on a side table and decorate. It's very very full of ornaments at this point, and has a fantastic Santa sloth topper that I modified from a dog toy a couple years ago.

This year feels like it could use more festivity, but I'm torn about whether I really want to commit to a full sized tree. Someone convince me one way or another. :p
Full size trees are amazing and beautiful and they smell lovely! You should do it!!

I just like the soft glow of the Christmas lights plus all the ornaments. Makes me feel peaceful and safe and I can use the tree as a nightlight at night instead of regular lights in the house

I just like the soft glow of the Christmas lights plus all the ornaments. Makes me feel peaceful and safe and I can use the tree as a nightlight at night instead of regular lights in the house
That’s what I use at night!!! That plus my stairway lights. I put them on a timer so I go to sleep with these twinkly lights

I only had a real tree once. The needles were a pain, the tree was pokey, and the male dog I had at the time regularly tried to pee on it (he succeeded a few times) nevertheless, I wouldn’t be opposed to a real tree in the future. I have a fake one right now

I only had a real tree once. The needles were a pain, the tree was pokey, and the male dog I had at the time regularly tried to pee on it (he succeeded a few times) nevertheless, I wouldn’t be opposed to a real tree in the future. I have a fake one right now
There are different types with soft needles! They usually cost more though. I think Douglas Fir are the soft ones and scotch pines are really pointy if I am remembering correctly

I like Fraser firs myself. The only time needles were a problem was moving it in and moving it out. We never have our trees an entire month like a lot of people, maybe about half that, so they're still pretty healthy and not dropping tons of needles while they're just sitting there, so that's something to think about I guess? Never had an issue with those being particularly pokey either, but I also didn't hug the tree very often ;)

We always had a real tree growing up so that's what I'm used to. I'm considering getting a tiny tabletop one to put on the kitchen table because I'm sad and homesick

We always had a real tree growing up so that's what I'm used to. I'm considering getting a tiny tabletop one to put on the kitchen table because I'm sad and homesick
Do it, mine makes me super happy every year. The small real ones are like twenty bucks at home depot and you can buy tiny tree skirts for them and everything. :cat:

Does anyone have some tips on how to distract yourself or get over some of the stress and anxiety of waiting to hear back from vet schools? The wait to late December/ January (or even longer) to hear anything is starting to get to me and I am obsessing over checking my email/ portals. Or if there is a post somewhere about this could someone direct me to it?
Thanks!