The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, is this a thing that people didn't know about? I prefer cornbread, but I'll eat chili with cinnamon rolls.
sorry genny you're going on the list

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Wait, is this a thing that people didn't know about? I prefer cornbread, but I'll eat chili with cinnamon rolls.
I also love chili on cinnamon rolls, but have never tried it on cornbread!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I confess to sometimes putting cinnamon in my chili, I feel like putting chili on something so pure as a cinnamon roll is a sin(amin)

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I always thought the chili and cinnamon roll thing was just an Iowa thing? But maybe that’s because I only learned about it when I moved here lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
As a kid in school we always had cinnamon rolls as dessert on chili days but I didn’t eat them like, together together.

In my opinion, the superior way to eat chili is as frito chili pie. cornbread is okay. Saltines in a pinch.

My dad loves chili. He even has a special Tupperware bowl that he only uses when it’s chili night. The bowl isn’t anything special, but it’s just always been ‘dads chili bowl’.

Reactions: 4 users
Jeez, if y'all react this way about cinnamon rolls, how bad will you flip out when I tell you that my chili recipe includes cocoa powder?

Like I've actually heard of cocoa powder in things like that before meanwhile I've never heard of this chili on cinnamon rolls nonsense.

Also cocoa powder sounds fine. I'd eat it. It's not like you're chucking bars of milk chocolate in it.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
As a kid in school we always had cinnamon rolls as dessert on chili days but I didn’t eat them like, together together.

I will probably get judged for this, but chili and cinnamon rolls are awesome. I do not dip my cinnamon roll in chili or really eat them "together together" but since elementary school we always had cinnamon rolls and chili together in the same meal during school lunch. I think it is a midwestern thing.

How the hell are so many people out here eating chili on cinnamon rolls but I get judged for eating mac n cheese with applesauce on it?

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
How the hell are so many people out here eating chili on cinnamon rolls but I get judged for eating mac n cheese with applesauce on it?
Yeahhhhhh I feel like that is well deserved judgement for that combo :laugh:

• Haha
  • Dislike
But chili and cinnamon rolls are totally fine and good?
Things chili goes well with: sweet and cinnamon, cinnamon rolls just combine it together. I've never tried that together, but meh I'd eat it at least once :laugh:

Apple sauce and mac and cheese?! Dude I'm vegan and we'll make cheese sauce out of literally anything (butternut squash mac and cheese anyone?). But putting straight up apple sauce on top of mac and cheese is too much even for me :laugh:

Things chili goes well with: sweet and cinnamon, cinnamon rolls just combine it together. I've never tried that together, but meh I'd eat it at least once :laugh:

Apple sauce and mac and cheese?! Dude I'm vegan and we'll make cheese sauce out of literally anything (butternut squash mac and cheese anyone?). But putting straight up apple sauce on top of mac and cheese is too much even for me :laugh:
Yeah but applesauce and mac and cheese combines the most basic flavor profile combination of sweet and salty

Also disagree that chili goes well with sweet. What sweet things are you usually eating chili with?

I'm gonna be so screwed if SDN ever has a potluck.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah but applesauce and mac and cheese combines the most basic flavor profile combination of sweet and salty

Also disagree that chili goes well with sweet. What sweet things are you usually eating chili with?
It's called cornbread :p

Reactions: 1 user
I never had sweet cornbread until I moved more up north and it's not as good as the savory for me. Once you put sugar in cornbread you're basically making glorified hoecakes imo lol
Lolz corn bread just tastes sweet to me in general, sugar or not. Corn is sweet in and of itself lol

Applesauce and Mac n cheese do not belong together. They are two of my main food groups and they need to be separate.

Cornbread def has a bit of a sweetness to it because of the sweet corn

If you’re willing to put apple sauce on Mac and cheese, you all definitely can’t hate on the thought of cinnamon rolls and chili :laugh:

• Okay...
If you’re willing to put apple sauce on Mac and cheese, you all definitely can’t hate on the thought of cinnamon rolls and chili :laugh:
If you're so willing to eat cinnamon rolls and chili then you definitely can't hate on the thought of applesauce and mac n cheese though

I'm hating on both of these combos.

I had apples on a grilled cheese at a restaurant once. It was not good. So I'll be keeping applesauce away from my mac and cheese.

And I'll be keep sweet things like cinnamon rolls away from my chili.

As far as cornbread... it has some natural sweetness but I don't think I would actually call it sweet unless it's got added sugar. But I also would never call corn sweet. Like even sweet corn... it may technically have some sweetness but if I'm describing to someone how it tastes to me, sweet is not a word I'm gonna use.

Apples and cheese are good together. I don't think I'd want mac n cheese with applesauce though, because then what is the sauce? Is it cheese? Is it apple?

Also I don't think chili-cinnamon rolls are a Midwestern thing because I have never heard of it before this thread.

I think goat cheese is gross. Goat cheese tastes how a buck goat smells and I just can’t handle that.

• Sad
I'm hating on both of these combos.

I had apples on a grilled cheese at a restaurant once. It was not good. So I'll be keeping applesauce away from my mac and cheese.

And I'll be keep sweet things like cinnamon rolls away from my chili.

As far as cornbread... it has some natural sweetness but I don't think I would actually call it sweet unless it's got added sugar. But I also would never call corn sweet. Like even sweet corn... it may technically have some sweetness but if I'm describing to someone how it tastes to me, sweet is not a word I'm gonna use.
Cornbread is also made with cornmeal, which isn't made from sweet corn.

You don't put a can of corn in yours? Actually, I only do that when I'm making cornbread to go with Mexican food. Cornbread for chili is savory.
No, I don't really like the texture when there's whole corn kernels in it. I might consider it if I were making cornbread that had jalapeno slices in it or something but even then I'd be more likely to do jalapeno and cheddar added to the cornbread base than adding a can of corn kernels

I don’t mind it with corn in it but growing up we just had it plain so that’s what I usually default to. Jiffy Corn Muffin mix prepared like the box says, haha. I do like jalapeño cheddar corn bread though.

I don’t mind it with corn in it but growing up we just had it plain so that’s what I usually default to. Jiffy Corn Muffin mix prepared like the box says, haha. I do like jalapeño cheddar corn bread though.
Jiffy corn muffin mix is what my family uses too. Has sugar in the mix ;)

• Wow
  • Haha
Today I am learning that there is a huge difference between Northern and Southern style cornbread and there is apparently a longstanding and contentious debate about it lol. Just read like five different articles about cornbread history that were very fascinating and I clearly was raised on Southern style cornbread and have a lot of feelings about it.

This does explain why I have hated pretty much all cornbread I've had since moving up to CO though (and also why I don't like box mix cornbread). It's way too sweet and cakey. I think cornbread needs to be savory, dense, and preferably cooked in a cast iron.

Today I am learning that there is a huge difference between Northern and Southern style cornbread and there is apparently a longstanding and contentious debate about it lol. Just read like five different articles about cornbread history that were very fascinating and I clearly was raised on Southern style cornbread and have a lot of feelings about it.

This does explain why I have hated pretty much all cornbread I've had since moving up to CO though (and also why I don't like box mix cornbread). It's way too sweet and cakey. I think cornbread needs to be savory, dense, and preferably cooked in a cast iron.
I suddenly understand why I've liked almost no cornbread in the south...

• Haha
Both cornbreads are good. In fact all cornbreads are good. Y'all are too damn picky ;)

Ditto! I like the little blue Jiffy cornbread (i.e. the cheapest, bottom-shelf cornbread mix).

1597442242718.png

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
I don't hate sweet cornbread. I'll eat it if you put it in front of me. I just can't imagine why if I want sweet, I would pick that instead of like... a dozen other types of sweet cakey-bready things that I like better.

Apples and cheese are good together.

I also don't think apples are necessarily bad with cheese. Fruit and cheese can go together. But apples with hot and/or melty cheese? Pass.