Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else from the 3/22 interview starting to sweat about the decision? They said Thursday at the latest.
I'm getting anxious. I really liked the school, but I have a feeling I'm going to get waitlisted....my stats are not stellar (also seems like many people get wait listed judging by the posts here). Actually I think my stats are pretty bad. But then again I feel like they wouldn't have invited me to interview if my stats were a problem? I don't know. Medical school admissions seem like a craps chute sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else from the 3/22 interview starting to sweat about the decision? They said Thursday at the latest.

Super excited/nervous too! This was definitely my personal fave of the schools I've gone to! Hopefully all of us hear good news Thurs/Fri (though I'd be nervous if it was a joke or not on Fri haha)- though I'm pretty apprehensive I might be WL'd too.

If any current students don't think it's as good a school as I may think, could you please PM me or tell us here why? I feel like I'm seeing everything with rose colored glasses :p

The only thing I would mention is that in 2017 you will have most likely two new medical school in Las Vegas so I am not sure how that will effect rotation. I know 2020 class will be ahead by one year but while on fourth year there will be UNLV and Roseman 3rd year students on rotation too in the Valley. 2017 students will have the most impact I think.

Also the school has a new Dean. I can't say if it is a positive or negative. He will meet us this week to talk about his plans for the school. What I have heard from our student academic representatives is positive so far.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
The new Dean for the medical school is not acting. He started in February. During your interview if you met Dean Dougherty then that is the new med school dean.

For Admissions decisions I know they have a committee meeting that probably he is involved in but that is all sometime I do not do. I don't want to mislead you. I know waiting can suck. I have been on the student panel and given tours so that is the extent of my experience with admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
First acceptance!
What a cycle.... but definitely attending! Wish I didn't buy the plane ticket for another school last night, but am overjoyed atm!

WL people keep your head up, I definitely know how it feels... but there's going to be movement, and the fact that you got an interview means you were a strong candidate and for sure a lot of other schools are going to be interested in you in addition to this one and ultimately things will work out.

Everyone I met the day of my interview was extremely friendly and I would be elated to see you all again as classmates!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Really liked the school during interview and am considering going here. If there are any current students that can give me advice about the program, please PM with info good or bad.

II on Friday, 3/25. Will be interviewing here in Monday, 4/4.

Anybody else receive an II this late?

I got grilled during my interview. Not feeling too confident after yesterday :( but oh well, nothing to do now except wait

Interviewed 4/4 and the wait is already killing me. It's only been two days -_-

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got grilled during my interview. Not feeling too confident after yesterday :( but oh well, nothing to do now except wait

Don't give up hope! I got grilled too. I left the interview ready to cross the school off! I was coming up reasons I don't want to go there to make myself better. But somehow it worked out! Good luck!

I was grilled also. The questions came so fast and the interviewer barely let me answer before she asked the next question.

Are there any current TUNCOM students that could PM me?

Hi all, I received an email on 3/14 about being placed on the Interview Waitlist for Fall 2016. I didn't know there was such a thing...did any other applicant receive a similar email? And if so, when can I expect some 'movement' in the list?
I received the same email. Can anyone clarify if they will continue to interview wait list candidates past this next week?? Thanks!

Do any current students have the 2016 match list? Only the 2015 match list is on the website. Thanks!

Does anyone know which interview dates are left if at all?

Does anyone know which interview dates are left if at all?

Just based on what I've seen here, I think the last interview date is 4/22. Although, there may be one more date in May if I'm wrong. Although, I hope it's 4/22 so we can be closer to some WL movment.

Just based on what I've seen here, I think the last interview date is 4/22. Although, there may be one more date in May if I'm wrong. Although, I hope it's 4/22 so we can be closer to some WL movment.

I believe I remember hearing them say that interviews were held only on Mondays. I interviewed on 4/4 and I thought the last interview date was supposed to be 4/18 (yesterday), but perhaps I misheard or something changed.

I believe I remember hearing them say that interviews were held only on Mondays. I interviewed on 4/4 and I thought the last interview date was supposed to be 4/18 (yesterday), but perhaps I misheard or something changed.

Thank you for pointing that out. I think you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure where I got that date. That's even better. Hopefully we see some WL movement by the end of May.

According to a sign up sheet that we can say we want to give tours for interview days there will be an interview on May 2nd and May 18.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Waitlisted. Interviewed 4/4. Gotta admit I'm a little bummed but at least it's not an outright rejection

Accepted!! It's been a VERY LONG journey and I'm very excited about my medical school adventure. Good luck to all applicants!
Interviewed 4/4

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the acceptance email! Interview on the 4th as well.

Wait listed. 4/4 interview.

I have faith in an acceptance in the near future. Good luck to us all ;)

Accepted! 4/4 interview :). I originally had an acceptance to LECOM-B but I think I might end up taking this one just so I can stay closer to home. I hope the rest of you guys receive good news soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have a clue what the average MCAT/GPA at TUN is? Just curious because I dont see it listed anywhere online...any first years wanna chime in?

Any current students have recommendations for housing??

Any current students have recommendations for housing??

My only recommendation from my own experience is stay away from the Edge at Traverse point (1131 Wigwam Parkway, Henderson). Besides that if you are part of the Facebook group I would ask there. There are plenty of first and some second year students in the group and they might give their own perspectives.

My only recommendation from my own experience is stay away from the Edge at Traverse point (1131 Wigwam Parkway, Henderson). Besides that if you are part of the Facebook group I would ask there. There are plenty of first and some second year students in the group and they might give their own perspectives.

I'm not seeing a Class of 2020 Facebook group. Do you know if one exists or should I create one?
Haha! I'm glad you said that about Edge, because that was literally the only one I looked into so far. Do students typically have roommates or live on their own in the first year?

Thank you!! Just put my deposit down for Touro - It's ofish!

Also, what is the school schedule like in September and October? I heard we have those months off. Do we actually have them off or just scattered days throughout? Thank you!!

Also, what is the school schedule like in September and October? I heard we have those months off. Do we actually have them off or just scattered days throughout? Thank you!!

In September you will have Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur off. Maybe a free day thrown in there. There's also a week of Sukkot in October this year. You definitely won't have two whole months off.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1245134365500389/ I believe is the link to the group. It is called Southern Nevada medical students 2020.

If any of you are interested in the calendar to see what to roughly expect for the upcoming year check out this link http://www.tunlive.com/do-19-calendar

September and October we had about nine or ten days off.

They just open last summer a new location next to the Edge called Dream. I can't tell you how good it is or not. We have quite a few people who have roommates. If you need to see a list of some places that current students stay at check out this link http://www.tunlive.com/about/housing and also check out the classified ads on that same webpage too. http://www.tunlive.com/classifieds/browse-ads. People also used the Facebook group to find roommates. Just a heads up too, I believe orientation will most likely be July 27th to July 29th with classes starting on August 1st. This isn't anything official but what I speculate.

Does anyone remember what Tava said about waitlist movement after the interview? I know she went over it, but I was too busy thinking back about what I said during my interview to pay attention :blackeye: are we ranked and informed of our ranking or just kinda left in the dark until we become high priority enough and have the chance to attend the orientation for a standby?

Does anyone remember what Tava said about waitlist movement after the interview? I know she went over it, but I was too busy thinking back about what I said during my interview to pay attention :blackeye: are we ranked and informed of our ranking or just kinda left in the dark until we become high priority enough and have the chance to attend the orientation for a standby?
I think she said the waitlist rankings would not be disclosed is what I have written down on my interview paper.

Below is what is written in the email I received from Tava.

" In the meantime, it is not necessary for you to send any updates or conduct status updates. We will also not share where you ranked in the waitlist at any time of the process or share the probability of you gaining admission."

Last edited:
I remember she also spoke about standby positions. When do we find out if we are placed in that boat? The way she described it was basically a deferred acceptance list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IIRC there will be 1 or 2 standby positions and those individuals would be notified close to orientation. Those are individuals who are #1 or #2 on the waitlist but Touro-NV knows they want them. Officially, they said they would rank the waitlist in mid June and then start accepting individuals a week or two after that. However, I hope to see *some* waitlist movement beginning mid-to-late May.

Just wanted to chime in for potential hope to you guys wondering if you interviewed too late. I'm a current 1st year who interviewed in mid April last year and was put on the waitlist at the end of April. I was pulled off the waitlist at the end of June. There are multiple people from my interview group that also were waitlisted and accepted later on so keep your spirits up!

Guys, I sent my apps here mid-February, was part of the very last group to be interviewed for the cycle, was waitlisted, and was called to attend the first day of orientation just in case someone didn't show. Needless to say, I am speaking to you as OMS wrapping up the first year here at TUNCOM. I did send a single significant update as I was entering summer session of an SMP and was called very shortly after that (just weeks before school started, too). It ain't over until it's over! I met some of you guys, thanks for coming and I wish you all the very best.

p.s. I was standby #1 who eventually matriculated the following year because of the above stated deferred acceptance deal they have!

Last edited:

Last edited:
We were told in the "You are on the waitlist" email from Tava that they don't accept any updates or letters of intent. Was the case different for you last cycle? Or perhaps once they rank the waitlist in June, do they open up the opportunity to send updates?
This was pre-Tava, and I don't really recall at that time being told by that admissions team to not update the school on major updates (like matriculation to a graduate program or something). I had no updates from the school once I was notified I was on the waitlist via email until one day in July receiving a phone call from a Henderson area code phone number...

This was pre-Tava, and I don't really recall at that time being told by that admissions team to not update the school on major updates (like matriculation to a graduate program or something). I had no updates from the school once I was notified I was on the waitlist via email until one day in July receiving a phone call from a Henderson area code phone number...

I want to say they are okay with academic updates like sending in your course grades at the end of the semester, updating them with a new MCAT score, etc.

Last edited:
For my interview group they told us not to update them and I stuck to that. I felt if I sent an update when they had told us directly not to that it could do a lot more harm than good. It worked out for me so I was I was happy with my choice haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile