Tulane vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amw.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am OOS for both of these schools, and I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Personally, both schools would be great places to live. I am interested in Pediatrics, but that might change. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer the area surrounding Tulane to Temple. Just a personal preference.

Perhaps it's better to go with the school that will give you the most opportunities later in your career. I'm referring to match statistics here. You say peds now, but as you correctly point out, things change.

GL

I would choose Temple. The good thing about Philadelphia is that there are lots of opportunities. If Temple doesn't have something you're interested in, research-wise, for example, you can certainly find something you like at Penn, Jeff, or Drexel. Again, it's just my opinion, but I'm not really a huge fan of New Orleans, lots of drunk revelers wandering around and such. It has always felt a bit sleazy to me; although, I do know many people love NOLA. It's a personality thing, I think. Temple's obviously not in the best area, but Philly's a pretty good place to live, and it's super convenient. I would suggest living in Center City in Philly, though, and not right near the school. Ultimately, I believe in going with your gut feeling. Pick the one you think you'll be happiest attending. When you're happy, you do better in school and in life. Both are good schools, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you have the money, you should check out the second look weekends. They would allow you to more accurately evaluate the schools for their merits without the stress of the interview days.

Reactions: 1 users
I would choose Temple. The good thing about Philadelphia is that there are lots of opportunities. If Temple doesn't have something you're interested in, research-wise, for example, you can certainly find something you like at Penn, Jeff, or Drexel. Again, it's just my opinion, but I'm not really a huge fan of New Orleans, lots of drunk revelers wandering around and such. It has always felt a bit sleazy to me; although, I do know many people love NOLA. It's a personality thing, I think. Temple's obviously not in the best area, but Philly's a pretty good place to live, and it's super convenient. I would suggest living in Center City in Philly, though, and not right near the school. Ultimately, I believe in going with your gut feeling. Pick the one you think you'll be happiest attending. When you're happy, you do better in school and in life. Both are good schools, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you have the money, you should check out the second look weekends. They would allow you to more accurately evaluate the schools for their merits without the stress of the interview days.

Solution: stay off Bourbon Street. Do that and you avoid a lot of this.

Back to the original question, I would go with Temple. As far as where to live, I would prefer New Orleans, but as far as opportunities available to you, Philadelphia is hard to beat.

I would say the same thing about the area around Temple med. It's not the best area, but that doesn't mean you have to live there, and my impression from the students is that they feel perfectly safe going to and from school at any hour. A lot of people on this site seem to get wrapped up in the hype re: bad areas of a city. Unless you're slinging drugs, flashing expensive jewelry/clothing, or walking alone with your headphones on in the middle of the night, then it's not likely anything will happen to you.