UIC (chicago campus) vs NYMC. Help please.

Started by starri07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starri07

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I am a California resident and have been accepted at both schools, but I am thoroughly confused as to which school to attend. I also hope to return to California one day for residency. I just would like to hear some feedback about both schools (reputation, student satisfaction, quality of education, etc etc) I keep hearing that NYMC matches better than UIC with California schools. Which would you choose? Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know anything about NYMC, but as of now I'm headed to UIC (UPR track) and am out of state but within the midwest - from what I can tell the schools are probably reputationally equivalent; I'm guessing NYMC would be cheaper considering UIC's OOS tuition (unless you're getting a tuition-waiver, then lucky you), but living in NYC is probably a lot more expensive than Chicago. I think both cities would provide excellent training opportunities.

Given all that, I would just choose what ends up cheaper, factoring in cost of living, there are plenty of people who match to Cali from UIC, from what I've seen, but since it is a public school, I'm sure a lot of people choose to stay in the Midwest even if they could have gone elsewhere.
 
NYMC hands down...

You can't pick because someone has said "NYMC matches better" or because you looked at match lists. UIC is a state school and as such many of its students, most in fact come from Illinois. Most Illinois residents will want to stay in the midwest, thus they have a lot of people matching closer to home. Now of the OOS students who go to UIC, a lot of them are from CA so you'll see them trying to get back.

NYMC is a private school and a TON of people from California go there because CA state schools are hard to get in to. So they are going to be focusing on getting back to CA, even if it means going to a worse residency position. Thus it looks like they "match better."

This decision is easy though because you are OOS to UIC. NYMC is expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as UIC OOS. Have you added up the cost? UIC as OOS all four years is 350 thousand dollars, woah!!! So unless you are married and will be getting in state after the first year, or have a tuition waiver, go to NYMC and don't look back. Congratulations on such a great choice 🙂

Also, as I'm sure you know, NYMC is in Valhalla so while housing isn't cheap, you aren't paying Manhattan prices, at least on the first two years.
 
UIC Chicago campus hands down.

NYMC will be merging in 2010 with Touro, a notorious diploma mill (Google it). Touro has also been popping out osteopathic schools in half a dozen states.

Core rotations in NYMC is also a lottery, as you are just sort of randomly placed in hospitals all over the Westchester, NYC area.
 
UIC Chicago campus hands down.

NYMC will be merging in 2010 with Touro, a notorious diploma mill (Google it). Touro has also been popping out osteopathic schools in half a dozen states.

Core rotations in NYMC is also a lottery, as you are just sort of randomly placed in hospitals all over the Westchester, NYC area.

Ugh, Womp with his uninformed crap again. Short answer is he does't know what he's talking about. Long answer - I'll repost whem I'm not tapping on an iPhone.
 
UIC Chicago campus hands down.
NYMC will be merging in 2010 with Touro, a notorious diploma mill (Google it). Touro has also been popping out osteopathic schools in half a dozen states.

Womp's misinformation has been posted elsewhere. So I'll re-post my response:

Touro has three DO schools (since when is that half a dozen?)."Popping out" is not an appropriate description considering the massive projected physician shortage. State schools are just now rushing to open more campuses and increase enrollment.

Touro discovered that a handful of employees were selling diplomas and turned them in to police. Forget about web forums - look up the actual newspaper articles and you'll understand what happened. Hardly a diploma mill.

Touro isn't perfect. It has expanded rapidly, and there are growing pains. However, to smear an not-for-profit institution that has run 2 accredited DO schools for nearly 10 years, without major problems - that's ignorant. This would not be the first time that an MD and a DO school fall under the same umbrella.

There are reasons for and against the merger (I've been to the meetings). Yours are the shallow, idiotic ones.
 
Last edited:
Core rotations in NYMC is also a lottery, as you are just sort of randomly placed in hospitals all over the Westchester, NYC area.

You've got to be kidding me! Figuring out who gets what rotation is a problem that EVERY medical school deals with. The diversity of clinical sites and the lottery system are some of NYMC's greatest strengths. Womp, you have no credibility. None.

Here's how it works:

NYMC's main academic hospitals are Westchester Medical Center (main campus) and St. Vincent's (in New York City). Additionally, there are various other affiliated hospitals including Metropolitan, Montefiore, Danbury, etc.

Where (and when) you do your rotations are assigned at random. Students are then free to trade their rotations. It's about as democratic and fair as you can get. Many students choose to do all their rotations in the city - and they're able. Others prefer to stay in the suburbs - and they're able. Want a mix of urban, suburban, and rural medicine? You can do it.

Womp, I don't understand what you have against NYMC. Your posts are garbage.
 
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their replies! Your input has helped a lot, and both schools seem to be on par with each other, aside from cost. lol 😡
So for now, I would say NYMC seeing that it is way cheaper. Thanks once again! 🙂
 
Go to where you liked better during your interview, what you saw, what you heard. That's part of the point of the interview, figuring out if the school is compatible with you. Your impression caters to your taste, which is better than just accepting what other people think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.