University of Illinois Shutting Down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted843384

Hey guys,

I just called to ask for a tour of University of Illinois (OOS), but they told me that their last graduating class is 2022. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I just called to ask for a tour of University of Illinois (OOS), but they told me that their last graduating class is 2022. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks.
Do you specifically mean the medical school? Hmm I've not at all heard of this, that's really strange.
@Goro or other adcoms, any ideas?

If you called the Urbana office, then yes, they are closing down that campus. There are other campuses in Rockford, Peoria, and Chicago, and I highly doubt they are shutting down the whole school as they are just implementing a new curriculum this year. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has the state of Illinois run into budget trouble lately???
I have family in Illinois and one of them works for the state... Needless to say, they are facing budget issues of monumental proportions. I know for sure that Western Illinois University is seriously considering shutting down per a direct message sent out by their president to all current students. I was unaware of any U of Illinois issues specifically, but sadly it's not all that surprising.

Has the state of Illinois run into budget trouble lately???

I have family in Illinois and one of them works for the state... Needless to say, they are facing budget issues of monumental proportions. I know for sure that Western Illinois University is seriously considering shutting down per a direct message sent out by their president to all current students. I was unaware of any U of Illinois issues specifically, but sadly it's not all that surprising.

Illinois student here from the UIllinois system. The last I checked, the governor (the lovely Rauner) has been holding funding for higher education hostage and refusing to sign or budge on passing a state budget. Smaller universities that depend on this state funding have been severely affected, with some even shutting down relatively recently. I know a lot of the smaller public schools are currently struggling to keep their doors open, i've been getting a lot of emails from a smaller public university that I attended for some summer classes (Northeastern Illinois University) regarding total shut down during certain school days in response to the lack of funding due to this whole funding crisis (yes, it is currently considered a "crisis" for higher education). Many of the professors at this university have been required to take their furlough days and student employees throughout their campuses have all lost their jobs (something like 1000+ of them).

However, according to emails we received from the University (I attend a UIllinois Campus and am an "employee" of it), the University of Illinois has quite a large endowment that we could pull from to sustain ourselves with quite comfortably. Obviously there was urgency for staff and students to contact our local representatives, however, it was made pretty clear that our university would be affected much less drastically by the current budget crisis. With that said, I'm not sure why they're deciding to close the Urbana campus as it just recently opened I believe? I find it hard to believe they'd close an entire med campus just because of this crisis. But then again, I guess I haven't really looked much deeper.

Illinoisan here. The University of Illinois at Chicago is closing their Urbana campus. I believe this past year was their last entering class. Now, students who don't go to Chicago will either spend their four years in Peoria or Rockford (instead of one year in Urbana, three years in Peoria/Rockford). However, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is opening their own medical school separate from UIC called Carle Illinois College of Medicine, which has a focus on engineering applications and will have an extremely small class size to begin with. I'm excited to see how that turns out, but it's somewhat of a shame because UIC-Urbana had a really cool MD/Ph.D program.

Bruce Rauner has been nothing but openly hostile towards anything resembling public education in the state of Illinois, and nothing would make me happier than to see him go down in flames in 2018.

Reactions: 1 user