University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first II today, complete 8/25

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!! By phone or email? Did they assign you a date?

Members don't see this ad :)
And so it begins. Congrats guys. Fingers crossed over here.

Reactions: 1 users
by email, they gave me the date also there is no selection.

Also I am from new England w/ high LizzyM

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone! Mind sharing your stats?
Thanks! I'm Out of State (but in New England), ~3.5 GPA, 31 MCAT, 3000+ clinical hours, 1000+ research hours. Hope this helps, and best of luck to everyone

II invite today as well. I grew up/lived in New England until a few years ago, my family still lives there. Non-traditional, 29 MCAT, ~3.5 GPA. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone from the September 30th interview figure out which hotel to stay at and how you are getting to the school from the hotel? I may be taking a flight that arrives at midnight in Portland.

Is anyone from the September 30th interview figure out which hotel to stay at and how you are getting to the school from the hotel? I may be taking a flight that arrives at midnight in Portland.
seems to be two dates, 30th and 24th

theres a ramada in sacco close to the school

And the 1st. I'm on october 1st!
Do you guys know what airport we should fly into? Haven't received that email with that info yet and I want to buy my ticket asap.

Any current students how could answer some questions?

Portland airport, haven't received that email either. However, I'll be driving to this interview lol. Prob staying a night tho

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Get some lobsters if you are here for your interview. They are massively cheap.

I've got a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out.
1. Is it going to hurt my application if I applied to 20+ MD schools, but only a few DO schools?
2. For the professional reference, is it okay if it's included in the health professions committee letter?

I've got a few questions, hopefully someone can help me out.
1. Is it going to hurt my application if I applied to 20+ MD schools, but only a few DO schools?
2. For the professional reference, is it okay if it's included in the health professions committee letter?

1. Got an II with 20+ MD schools and only 4 DO schools, so probably not going to hurt you
2. That's what I did, so again, probably fine

Good luck!

I am a first year at UNECOM and would be able to help anyone with questions! Just send me a PM. A lot of people seem worried about that question regarding the schools you have applied to. I applied to 5 DO schools and ~15 MD schools and got in so although I think they do take it into consideration it wont necessarily prevent you from getting an interview. Then it is up to you to demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine in your interview

I am a first year at UNECOM and would be able to help anyone with questions! Just send me a PM. A lot of people seem worried about that question regarding the schools you have applied to. I applied to 5 DO schools and ~15 MD schools and got in so although I think they do take it into consideration it wont necessarily prevent you from getting an interview. Then it is up to you to demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in osteopathic medicine in your interview
Congratulations, and thanks for the offer! You can update your profile "status" now :)

My application has been complete for over a week and a half now and I still haven't received a secondary. When should I start to become worried?

My application has been complete for over a week and a half now and I still haven't received a secondary. When should I start to become worried?

It took about 12 days for me to receive a secondary after my primary was sent there. Wouldn't worry just yet.

Just got an II for October 6th. Completion date 9/3. MCAT 30, cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.66. Resident of Maine up until a few years ago.

It took about 12 days for me to receive a secondary after my primary was sent there. Wouldn't worry just yet.
They sent confirmation that they received my application on the 2nd, 2 weeks ago now. I guess I'll call them in another week if I haven't heard anything by then.

II! 30/3.5.

I need help though! They scheduled my interview for 10/6 but I'm going to be out of town for another interview. Am I screwed on this interview or will I be okay to call and ask for a different date?

II! 30/3.5.

I need help though! They scheduled my interview for 10/6 but I'm going to be out of town for another interview. Am I screwed on this interview or will I be okay to call and ask for a different date?
No, you'll be fine. Call the office and let them know that you need to schedule for a different date due to a prior commitment. Do this sooner rather than later so that you can still get a relatively early interview date.

No, you'll be fine. Call the office and let them know that you need to schedule for a different date due to a prior commitment. Do this sooner rather than later so that you can still get a relatively early interview date.

Thanks! I called and rescheduled.

II here as well! 31/3.5, 3000+ hours of HCE, New England Resident.

I've been complete since early August, and haven't heard anything about an interview yet, which is making me super nervous! Anyone in the same boat as me? I was also wait listed last year so I was hoping that I would get an interview soon!

I've been complete since early August, and haven't heard anything about an interview yet, which is making me super nervous! Anyone in the same boat as me? I was also wait listed last year so I was hoping that I would get an interview soon!
Me too! Fingers crossed hopefully we'll hear soon

Has anyone already had an interview here yet this cycle? I have one this week and I'm curious what to expect/what I can do to ensure I am prepared. Thanks!

Has anyone already had an interview here yet this cycle? I have one this week and I'm curious what to expect/what I can do to ensure I am prepared. Thanks!

I believe we are the first interview 9/24 lol see you then.

..Why DM? I mean, you could just post it here too so you don't have to DM everyone...

i'm going to assume you meant"please do"

If he didn't feel comfortable saying specifics.

I'm trying to get my secondary essay questions perfect before submitting them.

Nobody with my MCAT score has gotten an interview yet though, so I'm not too late quite yet.

Currently in Biddeford
Feel free to stop by Tim Hortons in the next 45 minutes if you wanna say hi to my dirty, homeless self :)

I'm not presentable by any means but I'd be happy to tell you what I've learned about the area so far.

Edit: And share some plums! I have way too many.

Last edited:
Feel free to stop by Tim Hortons in the next 45 minutes if you wanna say hi to my dirty, homeless self :)

I'm not presentable by any means but I'd be happy to tell you what I've learned about the area so far.

Edit: And share some plums! I have way too many.
Haha I might take u up on that offer

Do you guys feel like they're sending out secondaries suuuuper slowly this year? Or am I just being paranoid?

Do you guys feel like they're sending out secondaries suuuuper slowly this year? Or am I just being paranoid?
It took just over 2 weeks for me to receive mine (from their "application received" email, not AACOMAS' "verified" one). I wouldn't worry until the 3 week mark.

Aah sorry I meant interviews!! Do you feel like they're sending interviews out super slowly? I got a secondary fairly quickly but it seems like interview are taking longer.

Aah sorry I meant interviews!! Do you feel like they're sending interviews out super slowly? I got a secondary fairly quickly but it seems like interview are taking longer.
UNECOM is different from most schools in that they offer interviews in order based on stats rather than when your application was complete.

If people being offered interviews currently have higher stats then you, it simply isn't your turn yet.

UNECOM is different from most schools in that they offer interviews in order based on stats rather than when your application was complete.

If people being offered interviews currently have higher stats then you, it simply isn't your turn yet.

great point. I wish I knew earlier.

any more school are doing this? (offer interview based on stats only) personally, I think touro is doing this way as well, right?

Yes I totally understand, and I think it's great that UNECOM does that. My original question was that it seemed like interviews were being given out slower this year as opposed to the last few years where more interview spots were handed out this time of year.

great point. I wish I knew earlier.

any more school are doing this? (offer interview based on stats only) personally, I think touro is doing this way as well, right?
I'm not sure about other schools, sorry.
Yes I totally understand, and I think it's great that UNECOM does that. My original question was that it seemed like interviews were being given out slower this year as opposed to the last few years where more interview spots were handed out this time of year.
I think they started interviews about 2 weeks later this year, but I assume the rate is about the same. It's possible that less people on SDN are applying to UNECOM this year, because people here have been stressing their regional bias a lot, resulting in us hearing about fewer of the interview invites.

Secondary submitted and paid for :) Now the waiting begins.

I got the equivalent of a 27 of my MCAT so I suspect it'll be a couple more weeks at least until I hear from them about an interview.