University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary submitted and paid for :) Now the waiting begins.

I got the equivalent of a 27 of my MCAT so I suspect it'll be a couple more weeks at least until I hear from them about an interview.

30 MCAT low GPA waiting patiently.....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
30 MCAT low GPA waiting patiently.....
I wonder how they balance GPA against MCAT scores. Maybe like Lizzy M, but maybe not.

I don't really have a GPA, so I don't know if they'll go solely based on my MCAT or what.

I wonder how they balance GPA against MCAT scores. Maybe like Lizzy M, but maybe not.

I don't really have a GPA, so I don't know if they'll go solely based on my MCAT or what.

I do have a 4.0 grad GPA...so i hope that helps my case...anyway i'm willing to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a 4.0 grad GPA...so i hope that helps my case...anyway i'm willing to wait.
I'm sure it will help.

I knew the waiting would be inevitable and calculated when I was likely to get an interview beforehand so as long as there's at least a week after I get their "complete" email before anyone with my MCAT score gets offered an interview, I will still consider my application date not to be cause for any hold-up.

I do wonder how long my narrative evaluations (in place of a GPA) will hold up the process though, if at all.

I'm sure it will help.

I knew the waiting would be inevitable and calculated when I was likely to get an interview beforehand so as long as there's at least a week after I get their "complete" email before anyone with my MCAT score gets offered an interview, I will still consider my application date not to be cause for any hold-up.

I do wonder how long my narrative evaluations (in place of a GPA) will hold up the process though, if at all.

Who knows? I wonder how they deal with those.

Who knows? I wonder how they deal with those.
I called before applying and they said they'd never dealt with anything like it before but were excited to try.

Many non-NE'ers apply? I was initially scared off of UNECOM bc of their IS bias/pref but I think I might add them on tonight. Thoughts? No NE exp, but I'd love to live up there.

Many non-NE'ers apply? I was initially scared off of UNECOM bc of their IS bias/pref but I think I might add them on tonight. Thoughts? No NE exp, but I'd love to live up there.
I am from the Midwest and I applied. Still haven't heard anything back though. I used to spend a good amount of time on the east coast and really like this school so here's to hoping for somethig

I would've applied but I wouldn't have been able to answer their question about how I knew about the school with regards to knowing people that graduated from here/attend there.

They've accepted people from other regions in past years, but they seem to generally have above-average stats.

I would've applied but I wouldn't have been able to answer their question about how I knew about the school with regards to knowing people that graduated from here/attend there.
Yea I am taking an online class with them right now and have been awesome so I wrote about that...

How long after paying for your secondaries did it take for the payment to come out of your account?
I thought the woman on the phone said it would the same day, but it didn't.

any input about the interview day from anyone who has already interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've completed my secondary for UNECOM, but am holding off to submit because I don't have "any contact with UNECOM faculty, students, staff, etc" yet. I reached out to admissions to get in touch with a current student, but haven't heard back. I am taking their biochem course starting next week so maybe I can talk a little about my experience with that...

Is it even worth submitting without answering this portion in my secondary? Did all of you who got IIs have this?

Been sitting on secondary for a month, from CA, no ties to UNE area, and average stats, but still really interested in attending. Thanks!

Kinda worried about the "ties to UNECOM" part of the interview... Any advice on how to tackle this part if you honestly are really interested in this school but don't have any ties..?

First II! Absolutely thrilled. 3.5 GPA / low 500s MCAT, NY resident. Complete 9/2.

P.S. I have no ties to Maine or UNE at all, so if any are worried about that part, don't be.

Been complete since the beginning of August and haven't heard anything yet... any thoughts on when it might be acceptable to contact admissions for a status update? I know they just started interviews last week but I want to hear from them so badly!

... patience is not my strong suit

I've completed my secondary for UNECOM, but am holding off to submit because I don't have "any contact with UNECOM faculty, students, staff, etc" yet. I reached out to admissions to get in touch with a current student, but haven't heard back. I am taking their biochem course starting next week so maybe I can talk a little about my experience with that...

Is it even worth submitting without answering this portion in my secondary? Did all of you who got IIs have this?

Been sitting on secondary for a month, from CA, no ties to UNE area, and average stats, but still really interested in attending. Thanks!
Honestly, I think sitting on your secondary for a month (after they specifically said to submit within 2 weeks) will be more of a hindrance than not knowing anyone from there.
First II! Absolutely thrilled. 3.5 GPA / low 500s MCAT, NY resident. Complete 9/2.

P.S. I have no ties to Maine or UNE at all, so if any are worried about that part, don't be.
Could you please be a little more specific than "low 500s MCAT"? Like... the actual number, or at least the conversion to the old scale?
Also, are you URM and what do your ECs look like?

Could you please be a little more specific than "low 500s MCAT"? Like... the actual number, or at least the conversion to the old scale?
Also, are you URM and what do your ECs look like?

503: 124/127/124/128

Not URM. Decent ECs: non-trad, double majored in English and Russian, 1000 hours ER scribe, 2000+ hours volunteering in PICU, NICU, ICU, rural clinic. No science research, but literary criticism research and publications.

503: 124/127/124/128

Not URM. Decent ECs: non-trad, double majored in English and Russian, 1000 hours ER scribe, 2000+ hours volunteering in PICU, NICU, ICU, rural clinic. No science research, but literary criticism research and publications.
Awesome :) I don't have your ECs but my MCAT is very similar (124/128/124/128) so I will hopefully be hearing from them some time in the next month :)

II for 10/22! OOS (not in the NE region), LizzyM ~69. It's a gorgeous campus and I absolutely love Maine! Best of luck to everybody :)

Last edited:
II for 10/22! OOS (not in the NE region) 29, cum GPA 3.9, science GPA 3.81. It's a gorgeous campus and I absolutely love Maine! Best of luck to everybody :)

Congrats! Can I ask when you were complete?

Kinda worried about the "ties to UNECOM" part of the interview... Any advice on how to tackle this part if you honestly are really interested in this school but don't have any ties..?
From what I gathered at my interview, if you are interested in the school then they appreciate that, and while they consider it advantageous to know someone or have some connection, by no means was it necessary. The majority of us interviewing my day had at least one connection, but at least three or four didn't. The Dean who spoke with us before the info session introduced the two student tour guides as "your first friends here", so clearly they are welcoming to people who do not have a connection to campus. It seems like having ties is a plus, but they won't hold it against you if you don't. It's one of those things you really can't control. Just explain why you are so interested in the school, I'm sure they will appreciate something other than "well my friend goes here..."

Hello friends,
SoCal dude here that just heard about this school. I think it's in a cool location but, besides that, I don't know much about it.
What do ya'll like about this school? Why is this place special for you? Is it one of the more competitive DO schools to get in and thrive at?

Hello friends,
SoCal dude here that just heard about this school. I think it's in a cool location but, besides that, I don't know much about it.
What do ya'll like about this school? Why is this place special for you? Is it one of the more competitive DO schools to get in and thrive at?
I think it has a 28 mcat average, which is definitely a little higher than other DO schools.
Maine is gorgeous.

UNECOM is different from most schools in that they offer interviews in order based on stats rather than when your application was complete.

If people being offered interviews currently have higher stats then you, it simply isn't your turn yet.

Sorry to burst peoples' bubble, but I'm not sure if this is true. I had a 26 MCAT and was interviewed on 9/23.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to burst peoples' bubble, but I'm not sure if this is true. I had a 26 MCAT and was interviewed on 9/23.

In state? I think they just pull people in the order they like. This whole guessing about MCAT is pointless.

In state? I think they just pull people in the order they like. This whole guessing about MCAT is pointless.
I wonder if it's some sort of double blind selection process, cuz that's the only way it would truly be considered "random" right? haha

I wonder if it's some sort of double blind selection process, cuz that's the only way it would truly be considered "random" right? haha

No. Every school has their own algorithm. Likely a combo of MCAT GPA and in this case geography since they favor NE residents.

In the Complete email they send out, they mention that they review applications in the order they're completed. Does this mean a silent rejection for people complete in August and haven't heard anything?

In the Complete email they send out, they mention that they review applications in the order they're completed. Does this mean a silent rejection for people complete in August and haven't heard anything?

no

I think that UNE takes its time with the cycle, just because you have not heard anything yet does not mean you should be discouraged. They move in the order of applications rec'd, if they pass over yours at first it does not mean they won't return to it. No news might not be great news but it isn't bad news either!

That's interesting, thanks for the info. That's just how they did things the last 2 years.

II scheduled for October 7th. I'm out of state (Michigan). GPA- 3.54 MCAT - 29

II hooray!! Complete 8/4, re applicant, MCAT: 29, GPA: 3.5ish, NE Resident. Thank god, I've been worried!

Congrats! When is your interview scheduled for? The waiting game is definitely hard ! I am sitting here waiting for my invite :)

Congrats! When is your interview scheduled for? The waiting game is definitely hard ! I am sitting here waiting for my invite :)

Thanks! The waiting game is really awful! I'm scheduled for Oct. 29th, was originally scheduled for the 28th but had to change the date due to a work conflict.

II Today
OOS (NY) 3.8s 3.8c 29

Good luck everyone!

Can anyone tell me the interview style of this program? (One on one, Panel, MMI) ?

Can anyone tell me the interview style of this program? (One on one, Panel, MMI) ?
Two-on-one interview with a faculty member and a second year student. Very conversational, they don't grill you at all, and overall an enjoyable day.

Reactions: 1 users