University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here... July 25th I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

What did the email say?

I submitted my secondary and LORs in mid-July and haven't received a complete email. :confused:

I got the email around 1 pm, it was pretty much straight to the point.

"This is to notify you that your application for admission to Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine is complete.

Your application will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. You will then receive an interview date or you will be notified that an interview is not possible because all interview slots have been filled. Please be aware that preference is given to applications from the Appalachian area.

If you have further application information, please feel free to forward it to the attention of the Medical School Admissions Office."

It doesn't count as "Appalachian" but I am a Georgia resident, so I maybe that counts for something being in the south?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email around 1 pm, it was pretty much straight to the point.

"This is to notify you that your application for admission to Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine is complete.

Your application will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. You will then receive an interview date or you will be notified that an interview is not possible because all interview slots have been filled. Please be aware that preference is given to applications from the Appalachian area.

If you have further application information, please feel free to forward it to the attention of the Medical School Admissions Office."

It doesn't count as "Appalachian" but I am a Georgia resident, so I maybe that counts for something being in the south?

When did you submit everything?

Edit: Nevermind. One day before me so maybe tomorrow (hopeful).

When did you submit everything?

Edit: Nevermind. One day before me so maybe tomorrow (hopeful).

There's still plenty of time, if they are just sending out completes now then its probably going to be a while before they even send out interview invites.

There's still plenty of time, if they are just sending out completes now then its probably going to be a while before they even send out interview invites.

According to history, two weeks from now. In the 12-13 thread there were a lot of completes by the end of the first week of August...the first invites were sent out by the end of August.

For the "Undergraduate Colleges Attended" portion of the secondary, is there anyway to enter more colleges? I have attended four undergraduate institutions and can't find a way to my last college.

Also, do they waive the secondary fee?

If so, how do I get it waived, submit and call or something else?

Also, do they waive the secondary fee?

If so, how do I get it waived, submit and call or something else?

You have to pay it and then they will refund you once you're processed.

Thank you for your interest in KYCOM! Your online application has been downloaded by Admissions Staff.

I'm guessing application acknowledged is different then complete, anyone know this for sure?

Yeah, they are just telling you they have your application and are compiling your other documents to be ready for review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are not many people posting on this one. I would consider this school one of my top choices but I am from TN so that's part of the reason. Haven't gotten my complete email yet but hopefully soon. Think I got a chance with 29 (8 PS 11 VR 10 BS) and 3.4s 3.39c?

I'm a second yr student at kycom. I'll try to answer questions that you have in a timely manner. Just message me as I'm not going to wade through posts in this thread. And feel free to post my answers in here. Also don't ask me things that you can find with a good google search or by reading the thread. My time is stretched thin as it is. I'm not going to feed you a load of crap or sugarcoat things for you. You're big boys and girls... You can handle it.

Good luck and don't get discouraged if things don't go your way! I'll see interviewees this fall (maybe). KCCO baby

Complete e-mail today, secondary sent 8/5, lors snail mailed. Ready for an ii.

Anyone think they might start calling ii's this week or is the consensus that it won't be until next week?

Anyone think they might start calling ii's this week or is the consensus that it won't be until next week?

From the 2012-2013 posts it looks like they started sending out invites in September so hopefully by the end of the week they get the ball rolling.

If they're trying to teach their prospective incoming class patience its slowly working

Did anyone who got the AACOMAS fee waiver receive their refund yet? I was told 5-7 days, it has been well over three weeks and still nothing. I was told it would be put back on the credit card.

ii!!!Was emailed this morning for Sept 20th.

I got an interview invite for September 20th too! Where is the closest airport to fly into? I am coming from the west. Is it Lexington? Or the Tri-cities airport?

I just got a ii for the 21st!
Anyone else on Saturday, or did I get a typo?

Got my ii this morning for 12:15 on Sept 20 friday! Woot woot

If I was complete the 25th and didn't receive an ii should I be pretty worried? (Stats: 8PS, 11VR, 10BS, 3.4cgpa 3.15sgpa) Well regardless, congratulations to all those who did receive ii!! I am excited to see some SDN'ers going KYCOMM! Congrats

If I was complete the 25th and didn't receive an ii should I be pretty worried? (Stats: 8PS, 11VR, 10BS, 3.4cgpa 3.15sgpa) Well regardless, congratulations to all those who did receive ii!! I am excited to see some SDN'ers going KYCOMM! Congrats

Worrying with a 29 MCAT is irrational. You will be fine. I've looked back and a lot of these applicants were complete in early August.

I have 3.7sgpa/ 3.56 cgpa/23 mcat. Over 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ some non clinical. Chances look okay for an ii?

Got an invite for September 21st!

I have 3.7sgpa/ 3.56 cgpa/23 mcat. Over 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ some non clinical. Chances look okay for an ii?

Depends. Are you from an Appalachian state or region? If not, they aren't looking too good since KYCOM has a HEAVY Appalachian region bias

Depends. Are you from an Appalachian state or region? If not, they aren't looking too good since KYCOM has a HEAVY Appalachian region bias

Nope I'm a Louisiana res.

Nope I'm a Louisiana res.

Chances aren't very good. Why don't you retake the MCAT? Any score below 25 is going to significantly reduce your chances. You will need something really impressive in your application to fill that void. I'm sure you can bring your score up at least two points by January. Good luck to you

What if you are in an Appalachian state but a few counties over from what's considered an Appalachian county :naughty:

I got an interview invite but I'm from a big city outside the appalachian area. Are my chances still not that good?

I am not an expert, but once your stats pass a certain threshold they could care less if you're from LA, NYC, or any other big city. Schools like to prop up on the shoulders of MCAT/GPA killers.

I am not an expert, but once your stats pass a certain threshold they could care less if you're from LA, NYC, or any other big city. Schools like to prop up on the shoulders of MCAT/GPA killers.

What do you mean by prop up on the shoulders of MCAT/GPA killers? I have a similar concern about not being from that region and living in large areas pretty much my whole life.