2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been complete since mid September and have not heard anything back yet. Is this their way of telling me I will not receive an interview?
It's hard to say, but several people have reported that they were treated nicely when they contacted admissions, so I'd say it's worth a shot if you wanted to try it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to say, but several people have reported that they were treated nicely when they contacted admissions, so I'd say it's worth a shot if you wanted to try it.
I reached out in early December and did not hear back. That is why I’m thinking this lol

• Care
I reached out in early December and did not hear back. That is why I’m thinking this lol
Did you call or email? I'd directly email the director of admissions. He's a really great guy and was very responsive to me. I've been complete since July and only heard back for an interview invite just a few days ago. You could be next!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call or email? I'd directly email the director of admissions. He's a really great guy and was very responsive to me. I've been complete since July and only heard back for an interview invite just a few days ago. You could be next!
I emailed. The director is Mr. Kennedy, right? This is who I sent my email to

Hey can any current students say a bit about when in person classes will start? Should us first years plan to start our leases in July?

Hey can any current students say a bit about when in person classes will start? Should us first years plan to start our leases in July?
Orientation is around the third week of July. I started my lease in July

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the $1000 deposit to hold our seat is binding? I am still waiting to hear back from a few other schools post-II and want to keep my options open.

Does anyone know if the $1000 deposit to hold our seat is binding? I am still waiting to hear back from a few other schools post-II and want to keep my options open.
It's not. I had paid my deposit prior to getting accepted elsewhere. It's important to let Admissions know that you'll be declining if/when that happens post-deposit. Unfortunately it's non-refundable. So a grand to hold the seat, but it's an investment in your future!

Reactions: 1 users
It's not. I had paid my deposit prior to getting accepted elsewhere. It's important to let Admissions know that you'll be declining if/when that happens post-deposit. Unfortunately it's non-refundable. So a grand to hold the seat, but it's an investment in your future!
Okay great, thank you!! I paid it a while ago knowing it was non-refundable but I gladly paid in case no other place works out. I just started receiving all of the info for creating Upike email and stuff and was worried I somehow already committed to enroll or something.

My interview is tomorrow and I'm super nervous! What are some difficult questions you were asked during the interview? Thanks!

Was just rejected by this school this morning. This is my fourth application cycle and I am completely crushed. I do not know how much more rejection I can take.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is tomorrow and I'm super nervous! What are some difficult questions you were asked during the interview? Thanks!
I don't think I had any difficult questions. It was a very standard interview. :)

Are they still interviewing for acceptances? Or are interviews now for the waitlist because their class is full? I applied here right when the application cycle started and completed my secondary a month later. Have been in contact at least once a month since with updates but I still haven't gotten an II. Not sure if its even worth thinking I have a chance at this point. My stats if anyone can give me insight into my chances --> 502 MCAT, 2.8 cGPA (went up to 2.97 after my masters and my cumulative sGPA is also 2.9 after my masters), 4.0 masters GPA (masters in physiology), bunch of clinical experiences + shadowing and some pretty meaningful research

Reactions: 2 users
Science gpa?

Are they still interviewing for acceptances? Or are interviews now for the waitlist because their class is full? I applied here right when the application cycle started and completed my secondary a month later. Have been in contact at least once a month since with updates but I still haven't gotten an II. Not sure if its even worth thinking I have a chance at this point. My stats if anyone can give me insight into my chances --> 502 MCAT, 2.8 cGPA (went up to 2.97 after my masters and my cumulative sGPA is also 2.9 after my masters), 4.0 masters GPA (masters in physiology), bunch of clinical experiences + shadowing and some pretty meaningful research

To my knowledge (based on folks still getting A's) the class isn't full yet.

To my knowledge (based on folks still getting A's) the class isn't full yet.
You think I have a chance still based on my stats? No need to make me feel good or anything. Just an honest opinion based on my stats and the history of students this school has accepted

• Care
You think I have a chance still based on my stats? No need to make me feel good or anything. Just an honest opinion based on my stats and the history of students this school has accepted
I’m a firm believer in “you are so much more than your stats” and I will put that on my tombstone.

But, others on the thread have been turned away for having lower stats this cycle. :( You haven’t heard anything though, so I’d say no news is good news! I thought someone was told they have a minimum gpa that isn’t formally posted anywhere (but they were told after calling or something?) but this could have been another school thread. There aren’t many pages to this one, so if you had time, I might comb through it if I were you.

PM if you ever need anything or want to chat. We’re all operating on our lowest survival brain function right now. 💕

• Care
Thank
I’m a firm believer in “you are so much more than your stats” and I will put that on my tombstone.

But, others on the thread have been turned away for having lower stats this cycle. :( You haven’t heard anything though, so I’d say no news is good news! I thought someone was told they have a minimum gpa that isn’t formally posted anywhere (but they were told after calling or something?) but this could have been another school thread. There aren’t many pages to this one, so if you had time, I might comb through it if I were you.

PM if you ever need anything or want to chat. We’re all operating on our lowest survival brain function right now. 💕
Thank you! I appreciate the help and support

• Care
If it’s a small bit of inspiration, this is my second cycle applying. Rejection is gut wrenching, especially financially.
But when I look back, I shouldn’t have applied last year. My MCAT was a 501 and I hadn’t started a Post bacc to improve my GPA. My undergrad was a 2.9 6 years ago and I’ve gotten it up to a 3.3. What really got me in was my continuous school work, showing I was committed academically, and my years of work in the medical field.
If you got rejected, it’s not you that’s the problem, it’s your story. Take the long view and really look at it. This school is vveeeeeerrrry low stat friendly.

• Care
Hi all, couple questions:

This is my first DO cycle, (kind of a crapshoot if I'm being honest). I applied last year to MD schools with a 495 (LOL I know, I applied before I got my score back). Ended up getting and interview and waitlisted at the University of Kentucky, where I did my undergrad (didn't get accepted). I decided to apply to DO schools this cycle with my same MCAT score, (for reference, my sGPA is a 3.5 and my cGPA is a 3.76, I'm also bilingual and have thousands of clinical hours and a lot of ECs). I submitted my secondary a while ago with UPike but haven't heard anything.... Should I just abandon it? (I have my second shot at the MCAT scheduled for march)

-I've also just been waitlisted for UIWSOM today

Hi all, couple questions:

This is my first DO cycle, (kind of a crapshoot if I'm being honest). I applied last year to MD schools with a 495 (LOL I know, I applied before I got my score back). Ended up getting and interview and waitlisted at the University of Kentucky, where I did my undergrad (didn't get accepted). I decided to apply to DO schools this cycle with my same MCAT score, (for reference, my sGPA is a 3.5 and my cGPA is a 3.76, I'm also bilingual and have thousands of clinical hours and a lot of ECs). I submitted my secondary a while ago with UPike but haven't heard anything.... Should I just abandon it? (I have my second shot at the MCAT scheduled for march)

-I've also just been waitlisted for UIWSOM today
I applied last year with a 497 MCAT and got rejected from UPike. When I asked why they said they're really looking for at least a 500. I retook the MCAT (for the 3rd time lol) and scored a 501 and this cycle I got accepted to UPike. It doesn't hurt to follow up though. I hadn't heard anything after submitting my secondary so I emailed them asking for an update and they sent me an II a couple hours later

I applied last year with a 497 MCAT and got rejected from UPike. When I asked why they said they're really looking for at least a 500. I retook the MCAT (for the 3rd time lol) and scored a 501 and this cycle I got accepted to UPike. It doesn't hurt to follow up though. I hadn't heard anything after submitting my secondary so I emailed them asking for an update and they sent me an II a couple hours later
So I reached out, and turns out they reply pretty quick. My application is complete but apparently still under review, the recruiter told me they'll likely be interviewing through May. Not sure what to make of that.... lol

Current OMSII here prepping for Step/COMLEX - feel free to shoot me questions if you have any!

I have sent two update letters here. Still in review after my secondary. UG GPA is incredibly low (2.5ish) but strong upward trend and high SMP GPA. Okay MCAT at 501. Non-trad w/ 40k hours of direct, hands-on, autonomous HCE. I even wrote them and said "I have taken too many credits to put a dent in my UG GPA and that GPA will be the same as it is now in any future cycles". Pretty much laid it out that if they want a higher UG GPA from me, they cannot have it. Nothing I can do now. See what happens.

I mention this because they are known to be pretty lenient or "holistic" (god, I hate that word) in their evaluations. But will it matter? I am somewhat interested to see where this goes with KYCOM.

• Care
I have sent two update letters here. Still in review after my secondary. UG GPA is incredibly low (2.5ish) but strong upward trend and high SMP GPA. Okay MCAT at 501. Non-trad w/ 40k hours of direct, hands-on, autonomous HCE. I even wrote them and said "I have taken too many credits to put a dent in my UG GPA and that GPA will be the same as it is now in any future cycles". Pretty much laid it out that if they want a higher UG GPA from me, they cannot have it. Nothing I can do now. See what happens.

I mention this because they are known to be pretty lenient or "holistic" (god, I hate that word) in their evaluations. But will it matter? I am somewhat interested to see where this goes with KYCOM.
They are holistic with everything but their MCAT score

Current OMSII here prepping for Step/COMLEX - feel free to shoot me questions if you have any!

What books were provided for students, and what resources would you recommend to supplement those texts? (B&B, Pathoma, Sketchy, etc.) Also, was looking to follow the Anking decks from day one, did you use any Premade anki decks or know any classmates that did?

KYCOM COMLEX First-Time Pass Rates:​

2015-20162016-20172017-20182018-2019
COMLEX Level 181.5%85.0%97.6%85.5%
COMLEX Level 2-CE77.0%87.2%87.6%92.97%
COMLEX Level 2-PE92.1%85.0%87.8%92.9%
COMLEX Level 390.5%97.8%89.5%
Do you by chance know the first-time pass rates for COMLEX Level 1 in 2019-2020?

KYCOM COMLEX First-Time Pass Rates:​

2015-20162016-20172017-20182018-2019
COMLEX Level 181.5%85.0%97.6%85.5%
COMLEX Level 2-CE77.0%87.2%87.6%92.97%
COMLEX Level 2-PE92.1%85.0%87.8%92.9%
COMLEX Level 390.5%97.8%89.5%
Do you by chance know the first-time pass rates for COMLEX Level 1 in 2019-2020?
Per one of the Deans’ forums, I think it was 93% or something around that.

What books were provided for students, and what resources would you recommend to supplement those texts? (B&B, Pathoma, Sketchy, etc.) Also, was looking to follow the Anking decks from day one, did you use any Premade anki decks or know any classmates that did?
You receive a ton of textbooks - usually one for each class (Lippincott's for biochem, Kuchera for OMM, etc.). I honestly have not utilized too many of the textbooks outside of Robbins for pathology and Costanzo for physiology. My main study resources were Anki (Zanki decks), Pathoma, BnB, AMBOSS and First Aid, with reviewing class lectures a week before the block exam. Lots of my classmates use premade decks and have been successful. Anking is a great deck as well.

Great! Thank you. Do you feel comfortable with the way the curriculum and faculty prepares students for boards?
I feel comfortable with how we are prepared - regardless of the school, a lot of the prep falls back on the student. The schools can provide as much info as possible but it's hard to parallel the efficiency and efficacy of Pathoma, Sketchy and BnB. If you work hard and truly learn and understand the material throughout your first two years, you are setting yourself up for success on board exams.

Hey guys! New to this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone who received the "your GPA is too low" soft denial email been re-contacted and offered an interview? I have spoken with Mr. Kennedy in the past and he mentioned that they occasionally lower the GPA requirement later in the application cycle(around Jan/Feb) but I have never seen any evidence of that actually happening.

Hey guys! New to this thread so sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone who received the "your GPA is too low" soft denial email been re-contacted and offered an interview? I have spoken with Mr. Kennedy in the past and he mentioned that they occasionally lower the GPA requirement later in the application cycle(around Jan/Feb) but I have never seen any evidence of that actually happening.
I did! I got my II about one month after that email

I sent an email and basically said my GPA isn’t changing now or in the future and I’d hope they would look at my upward trend and SMP/Grad gpa along w/ medical experience. See what happens.

Great! Thank you. Do you feel comfortable with the way the curriculum and faculty prepares students for boards?
I would honestly say no. As a previous poster mentioned above, I agree that med school is really about your own efforts that you put in.

To anyone who is struggling with feelings of inadequacy, let it be known I was accepted here relatively recently with sub average stats after being rejected in previous cycles. No doubt, I was accepted by the grace of God.

-MCAT<500 (2nd attempt was significantly better)
-cGPA <3.5 (strong upward trend in both undergrad and SMP)
-Large amount of healthcare experience.
-Matched their mission

I hope this gives encouragement to some of you out there. I definitely understand your struggle. You’ve got this.

Anyone who had Ethan Fulwood and Joe Kingery as their interviewers, could you tell me how their interview went? Mine is scheduled for Feb 12 and I wanted to start preparing.