University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have until Dec 14th also

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there mandatory attendance for lecture? Is there a dress code (scrubs)? Does anyone know how the testing will work here? I know it's an integrated curriculum with units instead of blocks. Will there be exams every couple weeks or at the end of each unit?

Is there mandatory attendance for lecture? Is there a dress code (scrubs)? Does anyone know how the testing will work here? I know it's an integrated curriculum with units instead of blocks. Will there be exams every couple weeks or at the end of each unit?

Well "lecutre" AKA case-studies will only be 2 hours 3 days a week. So don't think dress code matters much here, if it even does apply which I doubt. The case studies will be mandatory attendance. Testing is still TBD as they haven't announced it yet, but it seems as though they will be doing it after each block.

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday but decided to withdraw my application. Good luck everyone!

Well "lecutre" AKA case-studies will only be 2 hours 3 days a week. So don't think dress code matters much here, if it even does apply which I doubt. The case studies will be mandatory attendance. Testing is still TBD as they haven't announced it yet, but it seems as though they will be doing it after each block.

Someone in my session asked that to the dean. It was stated that it can be casual but professional. Meaning no flip flops (which is understandable because you will be lab) but they said they dont expect you to study in suits...

Someone in my session asked that to the dean. It was stated that it can be casual but professional. Meaning no flip flops (which is understandable because you will be lab) but they said they dont expect you to study in suits...

Nice! Yea that's what I would have predicted.... but a key point here is that we're not going to be in lecture that much anyways. And for lab, scrubs makes sense.

I thought that the case-study sessions 6 hours a week were in addition to lecture, right?

Nope, that's it.... we do have lectures, but they're all podcasted videos we can watch at home or wherever.

It's not the traditional lecture style where you go to sit in a class and a teacher lectures you.

Anyone have an idea what the grading system is going to be like? Pass/Fail or traditional A/B/C/D ?

Anyone have an idea what the grading system is going to be like? Pass/Fail or traditional A/B/C/D ?

Most likely pass/fail.

If you guys want to see a similar curriculum, look up Hofstra's School of Medicine Curriculum or NYIT's Doctor-Patient Continuum curriculum. UIW's curriculum is being set up in the same model

I'm making a list of questions to ask if I get accepted. Their interview day was incredibly light on information. I appreciate not having to sit through an hour of listening about how much money I'm going to have to loan out, but there was nothing on how they're actually going to deliver information, assess it, grade it, dress code, how the integrated EMT course will work (prehospital experience or in hospital experience/how long that will be completed in/if done concurrently with anatomy, etc), how the clerkship sites will be divvied up, whether all clerkships are done in SA area or if there are other "base-stations" like other DO schools, tuition costs.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes it is pass fail. You take the class 2 times if u fail the first time before being kicked out ...

I'm making a list of questions to ask if I get accepted. Their interview day was incredibly light on information. I appreciate not having to sit through an hour of listening about how much money I'm going to have to loan out, but there was nothing on how they're actually going to deliver information, assess it, grade it, dress code, how the integrated EMT course will work (prehospital experience or in hospital experience/how long that will be completed in/if done concurrently with anatomy, etc), how the clerkship sites will be divvied up, whether all clerkships are done in SA area or if there are other "base-stations" like other DO schools, tuition costs.

Haha I tried... the response I got was that the faculty is still figuring it out themselves. But if you find out more info please share! We all have the same questions :)

Haha I tried... the response I got was that the faculty is still figuring it out themselves. But if you find out more info please share! We all have the same questions :)

I will. It just seems like those answers should already have been smoothed out, but we were/are on the early side of their interviews so more to follow I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the MMI was the ethical questions focused around religious topics with medicine?

Did anyone get the survey email from.the school

Omg yes. My heart literally dropped!

Did y'all's email say that "decisions will be sent via email?" So I'm assuming the dean won't be calling us for acceptances?

Reactions: 2 users
I love this school it hurts:(

Reactions: 1 users
Also they are planning to use "flip" method of coursework...if anyone is wondering

I live in SA and am scheduled for an interview on 11/5, if anyone needs a place to crash and a ride to campus let me know. ( just a couch)

Omg yes. My heart literally dropped!

Did y'all's email say that "decisions will be sent via email?" So I'm assuming the dean won't be calling us for acceptances?

My heart dropped top when I saw the email...but then I realized it was a survey LOL. whew!

Nope, that's it.... we do have lectures, but they're all podcasted videos we can watch at home or wherever.

It's not the traditional lecture style where you go to sit in a class and a teacher lectures you.

Hold up. I called after getting accepted with a list of questions and was told it's traditional lecture with bits of team based learning integrated (ex 10 minutes at end of class). She couldn't confirm the 6 hrs/week of team but she said it's something like that.

Hold up. I called after getting accepted with a list of questions and was told it's traditional lecture with bits of team based learning integrated (ex 10 minutes at end of class). She couldn't confirm the 6 hrs/week of team but she said it's something like that.
Yep, there will be traditional lecture here. That question was asked when I was interviewing. Most schools that have taken a new approach to curriculums have not removed traditional lecture but rather added to it with some problem based / team based learning.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Yep, there will be traditional lecture here. That question was asked when I was interviewing. Most schools that have taken a new approach to curriculums have not removed traditional lecture but rather added to it with some problem based / team based learning.

So then what I quoted earlier with @MADD!!! isnt the case? They're all sit in lectures and not streamed podcasts?

That's not what I heard...

Do tell!!

"In Phases I and II, each week is defined by a specific theme and anchored by case-based learning. The curriculum will be delivered in small group, medium group, and large group interactive settings, an applied biomedical science laboratory, online modules, self- and faculty directed learning activities, osteopathic clinical skills lab, simulation lab, and in community health care, service-related and scholarly activities."

From their website

Yeah "interactive" includes lectures per the dean when the question was asked.

There absolutely will be lectures.

Do any of y'all know when classes will start? it says July on their website but anyone know the exact date/week of orientation/classes? Thanks!

I hope so! I'm actually pro-lecture (even though most med students say it's a waste of time?)

I'm the same way! I'm hoping for traditional lectures. Old school lyfe :cool:

Do any of y'all know when classes will start? it says July on their website but anyone know the exact date/week of orientation/classes? Thanks!

I wrote down orientation is the week of July 24th in my notes. Idk about classes tho

I'm the same way! I'm hoping for traditional lectures. Old school lyfe :cool:
As long as attendance isn't mandatory! I plan on going to most lectures at whichever school I decide to attend, but it's always nice to have the option to skip if I absolutely have to for extra study time or other obligations.

Does anyone know of the interview dates offered in November and December? I'm thinking I'll hear back soonish based on other responses here and will be in that area of the country mid November. Would be lovely if I get an II and can do it while there already...

Does anyone know of the interview dates offered in November and December? I'm thinking I'll hear back soonish based on other responses here and will be in that area of the country mid November. Would be lovely if I get an II and can do it while there already...

11/4& 11/5. 12/2 & 12/3

II just now. Complete October 10th, In State

Feeling Blessed!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm guessing the MMI questions are a mix of questions about you, your app, and ethical/scenario questions?

II invite! In state completed 10/9 =]

Reactions: 3 users
I'm guessing the MMI questions are a mix of questions about you, your app, and ethical/scenario questions?

This school utilizes the true MMI. Focused on ethical/medical ethics scenarios!

just cancelled. I hope one of you gets my spot

just cancelled. I hope one of you gets my spot
When was your interview date? I have an exam this Friday that my prof isn't budging on =[. There was a slot available when I went to schedule. I was not able to schedule until Dec 10th, but I would love to schedule for an earlier date if there is one!