UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was complete on Sept 29 w/ all my LORs and 1' and 2' apps.

My stats...

3.25 GPA
Avg Extracurricular
Exceptional LORs (2 sci faculty, 1 science advisor, 1 volunteer supervisor, 1 DO)
31Q MCAT

still no interview...

Whats going on..

Members don't see this ad.

are you in-state??? I am an OOS'er and have been complete since the first week in august....so I feel your pain. I e-mailed adcoms last wednesday and they said my application should be reviewed within the next "few days", but obviously that didn't happen! They also said since the deadline for TMDSAS just passed that they are slowly going through tons of apps they just received. Hang in there everyone :thumbup:

are you in-state??? I am an OOS'er and have been complete since the first week in august....so I feel your pain. I e-mailed adcoms last wednesday and they said my application should be reviewed within the next "few days", but obviously that didn't happen! They also said since the deadline for TMDSAS just passed that they are slowly going through tons of apps they just received. Hang in there everyone :thumbup:

So they told you that your app has yet to be reviewed?!! I had mine sent out about the same time as you and I've also just heard crickets chirping. This process is so weird. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
So they told you that your app has yet to be reviewed?!! I had mine sent out about the same time as you and I've also just heard crickets chirping. This process is so weird. :mad:

Yeah, I know it is SO frustrating. But I guess it makes sense that we have not been reviewed yet, because a while ago I was told that they notify you of their decision (interview invite or not) within 24 hrs of reviewing your app. I am just getting sick of waiting!

Yeah, I know it is SO frustrating. But I guess it makes sense that we have not been reviewed yet, because a while ago I was told that they notify you of their decision (interview invite or not) within 24 hrs of reviewing your app. I am just getting sick of waiting!

Oh, I didn't know that. I guess that's good because you know for sure one way or another and can stop obsessively checking your status page! Not that I do that or anything!!! :laugh:

As a fellow OOS hopeful, I hope my dated interactions with TCOM will help with any disquiet:

~Sep 6 -- application complete
Sep 16 -- interview invite
Sep 25 -- interview
Oct 28 -- told over the phone that, most likely, my application has not yet been reviewed for a decision. Also, Admissions understood that their committee has accepted only a single group of applicants. When these applicants interviewed?... I was not told.

Present Online Application Status: "This application is complete." "Your application is under review."

I will stay tuned, wishing you all the best.

I am actually in state. But my AACOMAS app hasn't be processed yet either and its been over 4 weeks!

As a fellow OOS hopeful, I hope my dated interactions with TCOM will help with any disquiet:

~Sep 6 -- application complete
Sep 16 -- interview invite
Sep 25 -- interview
Oct 28 -- told over the phone that, most likely, my application has not yet been reviewed for a decision. Also, Admissions understood that their committee has accepted only a single group of applicants. When these applicants interviewed?... I was not told.

Present Online Application Status: "This application is complete." "Your application is under review."

I will stay tuned, wishing you all the best.

Hmm, so you got an ambiguous answer 2 weeks after the match? I guess I have no idea how TCOM does their pre-match offers.

By the way megan, looking at your numbers, I'm very surprised that haven't invited you yet. Your ECs look good too. Ugh, sometimes the sheer randomness of the process just hurts to think about it. Stay hopeful; there's still time.

Hmm, so you got an ambiguous answer 2 weeks after the match? I guess I have no idea how TCOM does their pre-match offers.

By the way megan, looking at your numbers, I'm very surprised that haven't invited you yet. Your ECs look good too. Ugh, sometimes the sheer randomness of the process just hurts to think about it. Stay hopeful; there's still time.

Thanks! My MCAT could be a little higher, but I think I am pretty competitive, especially since according to TMDSAS I have a 4.0 :rolleyes:....but who knows the whole process is surprising, considering I was just waitlisted yesterday by CCOM haha :laugh:

I also don't get the timeline posted above, since you got an interview within a couple of weeks of being complete....that is not very comforting to us other OOS'ers!

Yeah, it's really selective for OOS. I'm just surprised that AandW didn't even get a status update and it was 2 weeks after the prematch offers for OOS students were supposedly allowed.

But, in reality, there's still 2 months. I doubt they would fill up all of their OOS in the prematch,but then again I'm not sure how they do it.

I was actually really suprised at my application. I was complete on 9-29 and received an interview call about 10-5. SO less than a weeks.
MCAT 28 GPA 3.8 and I am out of state..(OH io) :laugh: HOPefully thats a good sign. Interviewing this friday.

I was actually really suprised at my application. I was complete on 9-29 and received an interview call about 10-5. SO less than a weeks.
MCAT 28 GPA 3.8 and I am out of state..(OH io) :laugh: HOPefully thats a good sign. Interviewing this friday.

ooo im jealous :laugh:, but good luck on your interview!!!:luck::luck:

Well, in an effort to keep with up with the pre-allo TX thread, just thought I'd remind everyone about the Nov 15th prematch date for the in state people.

Although, it seems a lot more out of state people are in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
ooo im jealous :laugh:, but good luck on your interview!!!:luck::luck:

i see on your profile you were accepted to MSUCOM and Des Moines, is TCOM your top choice? or is it just killing you because you havent heard anything from them yet?

(BTW, TCOM should be your top choice, not that im biased or anything)

TCOM c/o2011

I'm going to go on a limb and probably say that tuition has a lot to do with it. Almost all of the TX schools have extremely cheap tuition, regardless of instate status (although that shaves off like 5k).

I also appreciate TCOM's status as the center for the national OMM research center, among other things. They really pride themselves on DO, because they're in such an exclusive TX club and feel like they have a lot to prove, although I wonder why.

I'd say that if Megan wanted more options, retaking the MCAT to get a 28+ would definitely open more doors. It's definitely doable with a little effort (unlike in pre-allo, where they suggest 33+ or higher repeatly), so maybe 2014 is the lucky year.

i see on your profile you were accepted to MSUCOM and Des Moines, is TCOM your top choice? or is it just killing you because you havent heard anything from them yet?

(BTW, TCOM should be your top choice, not that im biased or anything)

TCOM c/o2011

TCOM is one of my top choices, and its definitely ranked above MSUCOM in my mind. The location, tuition, and school are top notch. I have a lot of family members that are doctors (MD's) and they say that if I want to go DO, TCOM is the best (and then they try and talk me out of osteopathy haha). I would love to live in Texas because Michigan just sucks. If they never call me, I will go to DMU because I was really impressed with their school as well. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Yeah, I was born and raised in TX, so it's hard for me to diss the location. Ft. Worth may not be as exciting as Houston or LA, but it's a cozy town with great weather and nice people.

TCOM has always struck me as an anomaly among DO schools. Their numbers and their tuition mirrors a lot of MD schools, along with their absurdly high COMLEX and USMLE step 1 scores, which they were more than happy to share with us at the interview.

But, they never forgot that they have DO roots (that OMM research institute stands out) and it's a weird hybrid mentality they have going on. At first, I figured most of this is conjecture and you have to find out for yourself. Doing so proved most of what TCOM represents, which to me is interesting, in a confusing way.

I guess my point is that I feel that TCOM wants to prove something, which I don't think it has to. The elephant in the room would be that it is a DO school, but they carry that like a sword into battle saying we're going to be the best medical school there is, at all costs, regardless of label. It's still subjective but that's the vibe I got from them at the interview. Take it for what you will.

Yeah, I was born and raised in TX, so it's hard for me to diss the location. Ft. Worth may not be as exciting as Houston or LA, but it's a cozy town with great weather and nice people.

TCOM has always struck me as an anomaly among DO schools. Their numbers and their tuition mirrors a lot of MD schools, along with their absurdly high COMLEX and USMLE step 1 scores, which they were more than happy to share with us at the interview.

But, they never forgot that they have DO roots (that OMM research institute stands out) and it's a weird hybrid mentality they have going on. At first, I figured most of this is conjecture and you have to find out for yourself. Doing so proved most of what TCOM represents, which to me is interesting, in a confusing way.

I guess my point is that I feel that TCOM wants to prove something, which I don't think it has to. The elephant in the room would be that it is a DO school, but they carry that like a sword into battle saying we're going to be the best medical school there is, at all costs, regardless of label. It's still subjective but that's the vibe I got from them at the interview. Take it for what you will.

if only I could get an interview so that I could get that vibe too :rolleyes: good luck to anyone that has interviews coming up :luck:

Yes, definitely good luck. I don't know if the instate prematch date with change anyone's fate, but you can wait for the call on or around Nov 15th if you like.

Just make sure to keep your cell on at all times ;)

I did not do the TDMSAS this year so, it is too late for me to apply to TX schools anyways but, I am just wondering is TCOM the cheapest D.O. school to attend even if you are an OOS? Does TCOM accept very many out of state students?

According to
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/UNTHSC-TCOM.pdf

Instate tuition is $11,053
Out of State is $26,803

It's still pretty good. I mean, if you also count in the cost of living in Ft. Worth, which is very low, you have a pretty sweet deal here.

The problem would be that TX requires them to have only 10% of the students being OOS, so a max of maybe 18 students (175 total for this year). Unfortunately, from what I hear from our student interviewers, the max number is rarely reached, but I mean, taking like 15 students isn't too bad.

The problem is TCOM doesn't have to take any OOS if it doesn't want to, if I remember correctly. Granted, this probably doesn't happen, but you can bet that is it significantly more competitive than most DO schools due to its public status. This is just my perception anyhow...

EDIT - Oh I forgot: tuition includes a school mandated tablet PC, so I don't know where that goes in since I'm guessing it only counts the first year.

According to
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/UNTHSC-TCOM.pdf

Instate tuition is $11,053
Out of State is $26,803

It's still pretty good. I mean, if you also count in the cost of living in Ft. Worth, which is very low, you have a pretty sweet deal here.

The problem would be that TX requires them to have only 10% of the students being OOS, so a max of maybe 18 students (175 total for this year). Unfortunately, from what I hear from our student interviewers, the max number is rarely reached, but I mean, taking like 15 students isn't too bad.

The problem is TCOM doesn't have to take any OOS if it doesn't want to, if I remember correctly. Granted, this probably doesn't happen, but you can bet that is it significantly more competitive than most DO schools due to its public status. This is just my perception anyhow...

EDIT - Oh I forgot: tuition includes a school mandated tablet PC, so I don't know where that goes in since I'm guessing it only counts the first year.
Should've moved to TX last year, LOL!:D

Yeah, if people this CA is funny with its instate, they need to take a second look at TX because it's really funny here. It's also a shame that TMDSAS is a nightmare to fill out, but you give a little and get a little.

So... I can't wait until 11/15 just like everyone else IS. I only interviewed at TCOM, which I would LOVE to go to. Just a little upsetting not getting interviews anyplace else because I didn't think my EC or stats were that bad. Good luck to everyone!

If I don't get an interview by the 15th of November, does that mean that I've pretty much been declined?

I'm in-state btw.

mlc, I'm in the same boat for other TX schools. Our LizzyM scores are very similar so I'm not surprised we have the same responses. In the pre-allo TX thread, they say there's still time who knows.

I'm also very excited about the 15th. I hope we can get the good news the evening of the 14th like speculated.

TawMus, I saw your stats above and it seems that your LizzyM is actually inline with mine and mlc's. I'm going to bank on your app coming in a bit late, but don't give up. Like the other TX schools, there's still a month and a half of interviewing left. Even after the prematch date, some people turn down offers which might affect future dates.

In the meantime, if there's anything you can add to your app, I would try and send it in now.

mlc, I'm in the same boat for other TX schools. Our LizzyM scores are very similar so I'm not surprised we have the same responses. In the pre-allo TX thread, they say there's still time who knows.

I'm also very excited about the 15th. I hope we can get the good news the evening of the 14th like speculated.

TawMus, I saw your stats above and it seems that your LizzyM is actually inline with mine and mlc's. I'm going to bank on your app coming in a bit late, but don't give up. Like the other TX schools, there's still a month and a half of interviewing left. Even after the prematch date, some people turn down offers which might affect future dates.

In the meantime, if there's anything you can add to your app, I would try and send it in now.

I sure hope so. TCOM is one of my top choices and I would love to attend. The only thing I've got to add my app since getting verified is starting to teach at TPR for MCATs and getting CPR certified. I don't think it will be significant enough to make a difference ...

I think those are great things to add. If you could work those into a nicely worded and succinct LOI, it would help. I saw a few LOI threads coming out of pre-allo saying it could go either way, but I think in this case, it wouldn't hurt.

what is a LOI? =\

It can be two things: Letter of Interest (pre-interview) and Letter of Intent (post-interview).

Interest says what else you have done that can't be added to TMDSAS and lists reasons why you would be a good match for the schoo, in addition to other things. Do a quick SDN search of some examples or advice regarding this because this is a quick and dirty version.

Intent basically says that if accepted, you will drop all offers and withdraw from all other schools to attend the school that you send it to. There has been a debate about whether or not a student should send out multiple Intents so if you're interested, again, search is your friend.

Interest tends to work better if you have something new to add to the application. Definitely play up what you have done in the meantime, but don't forget to keep it short and to the point. That's just my advice anyway.

cool, i may try that if i don't hear from them by this week.

I just had my interview earlier today. It was a great experience and the school is awesome. They just asked me basic questions about myself and my application, as well as questions about my motivation to be a doctor and such. Very conversational and relaxed environment. The med school students that toured us around the school were very nice and knowledgable and helped out a ton. If yall got any questions, let me know!

I just had my interview earlier today. It was a great experience and the school is awesome. They just asked me basic questions about myself and my application, as well as questions about my motivation to be a doctor and such. Very conversational and relaxed environment. The med school students that toured us around the school were very nice and knowledgable and helped out a ton. If yall got any questions, let me know!

Congrats on the interview!!! :)

Everyone who interviews at TCOM seems to have good things to say about their experience. Would you mind sharing your stats and when your application was complete? I've been complete for 3 months and the waiting is getting to be no fun!!

If you don't mind either kris, could you share your stats as well? Maybe we can diagnose the problem with the lack of an answer and the others who are waiting might get an idea too.

Congrats on the interview Cloud! Long time lurker?

If you don't mind either kris, could you share your stats as well? Maybe we can diagnose the problem with the lack of an answer and the others who are waiting might get an idea too.

Congrats on the interview Cloud! Long time lurker?

Sure. My MCAT is 27 (9-9-9), GPA is 3.76. I didn't have an LOR from a DO when I applied. I started shadowing one in September and didn't feel comfortable asking for a letter until he got to know me better. He did write me one last week and he sent it to TCOM. However, the deadline for LOR's was 10-15 so I don't know if it will actually do me any good. I did have a good recommendation from the health professions comittee at my school and another from my advisor/research supervisor. Thoughts?

I know the time left to interview is running out and would love to have the opportunity to interview with them.

Sure. My MCAT is 27 (9-9-9), GPA is 3.76. I didn't have an LOR from a DO when I applied. I started shadowing one in September and didn't feel comfortable asking for a letter until he got to know me better. He did write me one last week and he sent it to TCOM. However, the deadline for LOR's was 10-15 so I don't know if it will actually do me any good. I did have a good recommendation from the health professions comittee at my school and another from my advisor/research supervisor. Thoughts?

I know the time left to interview is running out and would love to have the opportunity to interview with them.

Last year I got a call from TCOM for interview 11/30/2007 for the 12/13/2007, the last date of interview for TCOM. So there are still about 3 weeks left to hear from TCOM if you have not heard from them. Also during the interview they told me that the DO LOR is very important in determining whether you get an interview or not, especially for a non-stellar applicant.

My application was complete right around the deadline date. September 28th IIRC. The secondary application about a week later.

MCAT: 32
GPA: 3.9
No DO letter.

I'm a senior at Baylor University in Waco.

I got a call about 2 weeks ago and had the interview yesterday! It's a great school, although they do have a lot of construction going on because they're making a whole new building for classrooms and brand new gym as well. I've got an interview at UT Southwestern tomorrow, so hopefully that goes well!

That's great Cloud; good luck on your other TX interviews.

Hmm, I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room (I need another phrase for this), but it seems that TCOM likes numbers a lot. If I applied late in Sept with no DO letter, I'd be hearing crickets too.

I guess it's good to see that they consider other factors because otherwise, I wouldn't have made it at all, but maybe that can give you guys some insight.

kris, there's no immediate deadline for supplemental materials, so I would still send that DO letter. Your numbers are fine, along with megan's so I just keep up the updates and you'll see after the prematch.

I'm hoping things change after then too, but you know, this is the first time I've gotten this far, so what would I know :)

If we happen to pre-match to TCOM, does anyone know if the notification is by email or by a phone call?

MEGAN, how does DMU rate among other schools? i just got the email to submit a secondary application and am still undecided 'cos i don't know much about it.
The website gives a good impression though. Does it rank higher or lower than TCOM, and other DO schools?

If we happen to pre-match to TCOM, does anyone know if the notification is by email or by a phone call?

I believe the prematch notice is on TMDSAS. I highly recommend not calling them or emailing them for at least a week or two after Nov 15th, because they're going to get hit by people who have this same question but didn't bother to look online for help.

To get to that page, go to TMDSAS and click on the Status of Application and Documents Received. Go all the way down and login. You should see a series of links and on the 4th bullet, it should say "Check Medical School Pre-match offers" or something. That's where you go on Nov 15th (or Nov 14th at 5pm hopefully).

Also, lots of people do log on there at the same time, so don't worry if the servers are brought to their knees and you have to check a few days later ;)

EDIT - You can also check TCOM's status page, but I think TMDSAS is the offical one.

MEGAN, how does DMU rate among other schools? i just got the email to submit a secondary application and am still undecided 'cos i don't know much about it.
The website gives a good impression though. Does it rank higher or lower than TCOM, and other DO schools?

As far as DMU goes, it is my top choice so far among schools I have been accepted to, but that is my personal opinion based on the interview day. Honestly, there is no good way to rank DO schools, it is just the vibe you get when you visit for an interview....which is why I am still interviewing with acceptances. I just got back from AZCOM which was not even in my consideration, and I just went for a short vacation....but then I ended up loving the school and it is now my #3. You never know, so I suggest sending in that secondary and going to the interview if you get one. DMU has great facilities, a smaller campus in a very nice city, and an administration that really cares about student needs. I still want that Texas interview because of the location, cost of living, tuition, and curriculum....but if it does not end up happening, I would be very happy at DMU. Hope that helps!:thumbup:

Hey Megan, I had no idea you were at AZCOM for the interview! I could've paid you a visit; I'm currently at their SMP.

I'm glad you liked AZCOM, because it's looking nice too, at least for next year. But, I don't know much about DMU, so it sounds like you'll be pretty happy there too.

As far as DMU goes, it is my top choice so far among schools I have been accepted to, but that is my personal opinion based on the interview day. Honestly, there is no good way to rank DO schools, it is just the vibe you get when you visit for an interview....which is why I am still interviewing with acceptances. I just got back from AZCOM which was not even in my consideration, and I just went for a short vacation....but then I ended up loving the school and it is now my #3. You never know, so I suggest sending in that secondary and going to the interview if you get one. DMU has great facilities, a smaller campus in a very nice city, and an administration that really cares about student needs. I still want that Texas interview because of the location, cost of living, tuition, and curriculum....but if it does not end up happening, I would be very happy at DMU. Hope that helps!:thumbup:

It does help. Thanks.
Texas is definitely cheaper, so TCOM would be ideal, but as long as i get in somewhere that will make a good physician out of me, i will be happy.

Hey dazed, you did get an interview at TCOM right? It's been a few months since the last 2 pages or so, and I think we were talking about it.

Are you excited about the 15th then?

Can someone post the link for the status check site? I didn't know this existed for TCOM. Thanks!

Does anyone know how we find out the results on 11/15 for TCOM?

Can someone post the link for the status check site? I didn't know this existed for TCOM. Thanks!

This is the same link as to accessing your secondary. I think you should know where it is if you completed one, which I'm assuming you did.

As for Neverwin, I already explained how to check for it. Remember that this is for TX schools and instate residents and that it is the earliest date. There is no guarantee you will get a prematch offer. The same applies to the OOS people.

I believe the prematch notice is on TMDSAS. I highly recommend not calling them or emailing them for at least a week or two after Nov 15th, because they're going to get hit by people who have this same question but didn't bother to look online for help.

To get to that page, go to TMDSAS and click on the Status of Application and Documents Received. Go all the way down and login. You should see a series of links and on the 4th bullet, it should say "Check Medical School Pre-match offers" or something. That's where you go on Nov 15th (or Nov 14th at 5pm hopefully).

Also, lots of people do log on there at the same time, so don't worry if the servers are brought to their knees and you have to check a few days later ;)

EDIT - You can also check TCOM's status page, but I think TMDSAS is the offical one.

Edit - From the TX pre-allo thread, they say some schools email/call too, so that might be a possibility. Just don't forget to check your TMDSAS page.

Last edited:
Well i just recently interviewed and they said the pre-match might even come a week or so after the 15th. So I wouldn't freak out if you did not match up on the 15th

While at AZCOM, there were two Texans in my interview group, and they also applied to TCOM. They both encouraged me to call the admissions office to check up on my application because that is what they both had done. They also said that the adcoms told them that they like it when students call in the check up because it shows interest. WELL, I beg to differ. I called today to "check my status" and was told that if I hadn't heard anything by e-mail or phone that there obviously were not any updates on my application. The adcom didn't even ask for my name or anything :mad:! I am getting real annoyed....since a couple weeks ago when I e-mailed admissions, they said my "application will be reviewed within the next couple of days". I don't think Texas likes me :( but, I am keeping my hopes up. Good luck to you with interviews coming up, if there are any!

Status
Not open for further replies.