You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Hey, mala, could you possibly post that booklist? Is it in word format? I'm just curious and would like to see it 🙂
Yeah, it's not over but I have to say the wait gets more demoralizing by the day.
Did everyone send a final transcript to them yet? I'm not sure if I should send them my SMP transcript or not.
Yeah, it's not over but I have to say the wait gets more demoralizing by the day.
Did everyone send a final transcript to them yet? I'm not sure if I should send them my SMP transcript or not.
I went ahead and sent them my final transcript. I figured it would not hurt and they would have it in case that call comes in. I agree it does get a bit tougher as each day goes by. Its just so tough to make any plans. But I did take to a friend of mine who is a first year there, and he told me he knows two people that got in a couple of days before orientation. So it is not over 🙂.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went ahead and sent them my final transcript. I figured it would not hurt and they would have it in case that call comes in. I agree it does get a bit tougher as each day goes by. Its just so tough to make any plans. But I did take to a friend of mine who is a first year there, and he told me he knows two people that got in a couple of days before orientation. So it is not over 🙂.
Yeah, final transcripts make sense, but I wonder if this SMP one is needed. I guess this will give me a good excuse to call them tomorrow 🙂
Here you go Flushot 🙂
Hey, thanks for the list 🙂 I'll look it over tomorrow because I'm ready to crash.
Thanks for posting the booklist!
Let us know what you find out FluShot....Hopefully this week wont be so quiet.
Let us know what you find out FluShot....Hopefully this week wont be so quiet.
Well, I just got off the phone with admissions. They say it's really up to me about whether or not to send my SMP transcript. It might be needed if I receive an offer though. For those who are finishing undergrad, I would probably send your stuff anyway. I didn't ask about that unfortunately.
I got a nice explanation about the June 1st/June 15th deadlines. These are deadlines in which schools no longer do 'poaching', that is, to selectively target candidates that are in other programs that the school wants. So, Marvolush's acceptance was in a way a poaching 🙂 After the deadlines, it's common courtesy to stop the poaching and let it be.
She told me there's not much that can be said about the waitlist, so nothing new here. Just thought you all would like to know.
I got a nice explanation about the June 1st/June 15th deadlines. These are deadlines in which schools no longer do 'poaching', that is, to selectively target candidates that are in other programs that the school wants. So, Marvolush's acceptance was in a way a poaching 🙂 After the deadlines, it's common courtesy to stop the poaching and let it be.
She told me there's not much that can be said about the waitlist, so nothing new here. Just thought you all would like to know.
hey guys,
congrats to you all - it makes me a bit jealous to see you guys preparing for the start of med school!
i am applying to TCOM this year and really hope to be in your shoes one year from now.
My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA; 3.8 GPA for a public health certification program that I have done through UT-HSC (all grad level classes); MCAT 31Q (13 PS, 11 Bio, 7 Verbal), I have two years of research experience at a medical school, unique ECs, and strong LORs.
I'm a reapplicant this year - I applied to all TX schools and a few out of state schools, but did not apply to any DO programs. I fully regret that, but am hoping that this time around, I'll be granted some interviews and at least one acceptance! 🙂 My MCAT score was a 26 last year, so I am not surprised that I didn't receive any MD interviews.
Anyway, based on my stats and your experiences, can you let me know what you think my chances are at TCOM?
Also, I have submitted my TMDSAS application already and will be submitting the secondary any day now. I don't want to be complacent with this process - is there anything you recommend that I do between now and interview season that can increase the chances of me getting any interview at TCOM? Is there someone at the admissions office that you suggest I talk to?
Any suggestions are welcome!
congrats to you all - it makes me a bit jealous to see you guys preparing for the start of med school!
i am applying to TCOM this year and really hope to be in your shoes one year from now.
My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA; 3.8 GPA for a public health certification program that I have done through UT-HSC (all grad level classes); MCAT 31Q (13 PS, 11 Bio, 7 Verbal), I have two years of research experience at a medical school, unique ECs, and strong LORs.
I'm a reapplicant this year - I applied to all TX schools and a few out of state schools, but did not apply to any DO programs. I fully regret that, but am hoping that this time around, I'll be granted some interviews and at least one acceptance! 🙂 My MCAT score was a 26 last year, so I am not surprised that I didn't receive any MD interviews.
Anyway, based on my stats and your experiences, can you let me know what you think my chances are at TCOM?
Also, I have submitted my TMDSAS application already and will be submitting the secondary any day now. I don't want to be complacent with this process - is there anything you recommend that I do between now and interview season that can increase the chances of me getting any interview at TCOM? Is there someone at the admissions office that you suggest I talk to?
Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks for sharing the info FluShot 🙂
Did they give you any indication if the Wait List shortened up after their June 1st deadline? Or if any acceptances have been given out recently?
Did they give you any indication if the Wait List shortened up after their June 1st deadline? Or if any acceptances have been given out recently?
hey guys,
congrats to you all - it makes me a bit jealous to see you guys preparing for the start of med school!
i am applying to TCOM this year and really hope to be in your shoes one year from now.
My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA; 3.8 GPA for a public health certification program that I have done through UT-HSC (all grad level classes); MCAT 31Q (13 PS, 11 Bio, 7 Verbal), I have two years of research experience at a medical school, unique ECs, and strong LORs.
I'm a reapplicant this year - I applied to all TX schools and a few out of state schools, but did not apply to any DO programs. I fully regret that, but am hoping that this time around, I'll be granted some interviews and at least one acceptance! 🙂 My MCAT score was a 26 last year, so I am not surprised that I didn't receive any MD interviews.
Anyway, based on my stats and your experiences, can you let me know what you think my chances are at TCOM?
Also, I have submitted my TMDSAS application already and will be submitting the secondary any day now. I don't want to be complacent with this process - is there anything you recommend that I do between now and interview season that can increase the chances of me getting any interview at TCOM? Is there someone at the admissions office that you suggest I talk to?
Any suggestions are welcome!
It begins! 😱 I think this might mark the end of this thread and the birth of the next cycle's thread. I'll see you all there if that happens.
I have to say that your gpa is very similar to mine, although the MCAT is higher. The grad program is nice icing on the cake, but don't bank too much on it. Your chances at TCOM are pretty good, given if you write a nice secondary (this matters a lot actually) and have a good DO letter. I know the DO letter is 'optional' but is anything really optional in this process?
Anyhow, it's good that you're preparing now, because my major mistake was sending out stuff around end of August. Just read more about DOs, get that letter, and ship that stuff out ASAP.
Thanks for sharing the info FluShot 🙂
Did they give you any indication if the Wait List shortened up after their June 1st deadline? Or if any acceptances have been given out recently?
She didn't tell me anything about movement after June 1st or as of yesterday. We still have to hold our breath on this one. I kind of wish I asked about the med masters people and how they're factored into this but I think they've already been dealt with so it's really just up to us now.
Congrats on the acceptance mgirl!! Also, thanks for the info! 🙂
wanted to let you guys know that I have declined my acceptance into TCOM. Hopefully one of you can get in now...😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh nice! congrats everyone on their acceptances and good luck to everyone still waiting! movement!
so i was poached...i need to add that to my vocab 😛
I got a nice explanation about the June 1st/June 15th deadlines. These are deadlines in which schools no longer do 'poaching', that is, to selectively target candidates that are in other programs that the school wants. So, Marvolush's acceptance was in a way a poaching 🙂 After the deadlines, it's common courtesy to stop the poaching and let it be.
so i was poached...i need to add that to my vocab 😛
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! Hoping for some movement this week!!
Mzebda - Per TCOM's letter, they stopped poaching as of June 1st. When all candidates who are accepted to another Texas school are dropped from the wait list. However, the state-wide deadline is tomorrow, June 15th.
Mzebda - Per TCOM's letter, they stopped poaching as of June 1st. When all candidates who are accepted to another Texas school are dropped from the wait list. However, the state-wide deadline is tomorrow, June 15th.
Hopefully some of the other in state schools will do some last minute poaching from TCOM.
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! Hoping for some movement this week!!
Mzebda - Per TCOM's letter, they stopped poaching as of June 1st. When all candidates who are accepted to another Texas school are dropped from the wait list. However, the state-wide deadline is tomorrow, June 15th.
No poaching for me, looks like I'm headed to TCOM!
The 'deadlines' for poaching are more out of courtesy than regulation, so I don't expect any last minute poaching, at least from what admissions told me. It probably wouldn't be very fruitful since most people who have a good choice of seats probably made up their minds by now.
I'm just glad to see this much change this last into things. I hope someone gets the good news soon.
I'm just glad to see this much change this last into things. I hope someone gets the good news soon.
Nope. I remember that they probably need the actual letter confirming the turning down of attendance, so the lack of activity last week was not too surprising. Like mzebda says, it will probably all come down at the last minute.
Still, I'm surprised no one (random or otherwise) has come in with an acceptance off the waitlist that they're going to take. It's weird 😕
Still, I'm surprised no one (random or otherwise) has come in with an acceptance off the waitlist that they're going to take. It's weird 😕
Do they have to wait for written confirmation of a withdrawal? Or is an email or verbal withdrawal sufficient?
Aw, I see, from that thread one person did get in. It seems this person also is on two other waitlists too, so it seems that they were indeed good enough for all 3 programs but something was missing I suppose. It was on the 18th the post was made, so last week was productive it seems.
I don't know if it was a result of last week's withdrawals from TCOM or not since they told me on the phone that the letter is not needed for confirmation of declining, but I wonder what the purpose of the letter is at all then. I wish we knew for sure.
I don't know if it was a result of last week's withdrawals from TCOM or not since they told me on the phone that the letter is not needed for confirmation of declining, but I wonder what the purpose of the letter is at all then. I wish we knew for sure.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lynn scott didn't even ask me for an answer over the phone. she said that i'll get a letter sent where i can accept or decline.
i'm pretty sure the letter is actually for record-keeping's sake and maybe partly so they are secure legally? you wouldn't want someone who decided to decline, then change their mind and act like they had amnesia the day they declined over the phone. that could potentially become a HUGE problem. i don't know, though. maybe i'm just being dramatic 😛
i'm pretty sure the letter is actually for record-keeping's sake and maybe partly so they are secure legally? you wouldn't want someone who decided to decline, then change their mind and act like they had amnesia the day they declined over the phone. that could potentially become a HUGE problem. i don't know, though. maybe i'm just being dramatic 😛
It seems variable to me. I guess an email would suffice too so that the turnaround is fast. I also agree that the letter is just for record keeping too.
Eh, I guess I can't help but feel a little down. Last week might've had a lot of movement and we wouldn't even know 🙁
Eh, I guess I can't help but feel a little down. Last week might've had a lot of movement and we wouldn't even know 🙁
It seems variable to me. I guess an email would suffice too so that the turnaround is fast. I also agree that the letter is just for record keeping too.
Eh, I guess I can't help but feel a little down. Last week might've had a lot of movement and we wouldn't even know 🙁
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I have posted but I've been getting ready for moving to Des Moines. At this point I can say I have given up on tcom. It is totally unrealistic that I would be able to move all the way down there on such short notice. But I am very excited to start at DMU and I am actually very happy that I ended up there. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone wherever you end up!!!

I agree that a letter is necessary for record keeping. We have seen quite a few withdrawals but not many acceptances given out lately...hopefully things will pick up.
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I have posted but I've been getting ready for moving to Des Moines. At this point I can say I have given up on tcom. It is totally unrealistic that I would be able to move all the way down there on such short notice. But I am very excited to start at DMU and I am actually very happy that I ended up there. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone wherever you end up!!!![]()
Hey, it was great having you around in the thread. I totally understand your position too; it's not reasonable for a lot of people to drop everything and go and even if it was, it would be more likely for us instaters to do that so, I'm glad you're happy with DMU. Keep in touch 🙂
I agree that a letter is necessary for record keeping. We have seen quite a few withdrawals but not many acceptances given out lately...hopefully things will pick up.
I mean, it seemed like all of the withdrawals came at one time, so I figured there would be acceptances then too. But hey, at this point, I'm pretty much expecting nothing from TCOM.
Speaking of which dcowboys, what is your plan B?
Best of luck at DMU. I agree with you it is really tough to drop things all at once. I wish that they would just give us some indication of what our chances are so we can plan accordingly. I understand why on there end they have to keep things secretive. But anything at this point would be helpful.
I'm still figuring things out. What do yall have planned?
Congrats on the acceptance kymacy!
Congrats on the acceptance kymacy!
The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners announced last week that The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) Class of 2010 scored the best in the nation on the Level 1 Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX). This is the fourth consecutive year that TCOM has been the top performer in the nation on this exam. The TCOM class of 2010 performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools with a 99.3 percent pass rate and mean score of 536 out of 540 points.
All states require medical students to pass a licensing exam before they receive licenses to practice medicine. The three-part COMLEX series examination, the licensing exam for the osteopathic profession, usually is taken at the end of the second year of medical school, the fourth year of medical school and during the internship (first residency year). The first of the three, Level 1, measures didactic level of medical knowledge and the results are used by residency programs to select students for interviews and acceptance into post-graduate medical training programs. The M.D. equivalent is the United States Medical License Examination (USMLE).
TCOM graduates practice in primary care and specialties across Texas and the nation. Along with traditional medical and surgical training, they bring to their patients the unique benefits of osteopathic diagnosis and treatment, and emphasize patient education, disease prevention, good nutrition and fitness.
All states require medical students to pass a licensing exam before they receive licenses to practice medicine. The three-part COMLEX series examination, the licensing exam for the osteopathic profession, usually is taken at the end of the second year of medical school, the fourth year of medical school and during the internship (first residency year). The first of the three, Level 1, measures didactic level of medical knowledge and the results are used by residency programs to select students for interviews and acceptance into post-graduate medical training programs. The M.D. equivalent is the United States Medical License Examination (USMLE).
TCOM graduates practice in primary care and specialties across Texas and the nation. Along with traditional medical and surgical training, they bring to their patients the unique benefits of osteopathic diagnosis and treatment, and emphasize patient education, disease prevention, good nutrition and fitness.
Well, I know there's a 2010 thread up now, but I'll hopefully lay this one to rest with this. All other regulars, please let me know what's up with you. It's been fun hanging out here and talking, so I'd love to know what everyone is going to do.
It's been nothing but crickets since June and obviously, I won't call it until the bitter end, which is in 5 days or something, but as of now, I am AZ bound. I'm certain most of you know what I'm doing but that's where I'll probably be at this rate.
I don't intend to post in any more TCOM related threads unless it serves a purpose and I'm also curious why the creator of the 2010 thread also created 2010 threads for like 6 other schools, but I suppose it is indeed time to move on.
Megan, marvo, mzebda, dcowboys and all others I may have missed, it's been fun. Let me know where you end up if you haven't told us already and I'll hopefully see you around.
It's been nothing but crickets since June and obviously, I won't call it until the bitter end, which is in 5 days or something, but as of now, I am AZ bound. I'm certain most of you know what I'm doing but that's where I'll probably be at this rate.
I don't intend to post in any more TCOM related threads unless it serves a purpose and I'm also curious why the creator of the 2010 thread also created 2010 threads for like 6 other schools, but I suppose it is indeed time to move on.
Megan, marvo, mzebda, dcowboys and all others I may have missed, it's been fun. Let me know where you end up if you haven't told us already and I'll hopefully see you around.
hey Flushot! i just moved to El Paso on July 6th and orientation was July 9-10. it has been CRAZY (annoying and fun) these past 2-3 weeks. this new school DEFINITELY has many many kinks they need to work out, but the people here are great. El Paso isn't so bad after all...at least not yet. the real medical school classes don't start until August 3rd, so we'll see the true gunners in people.
all the best of luck to you Flushot! no matter what happens, the bigger picture is always going to be becoming a doctor. definitely keep in touch! i'm going to miss this awesome thread 🙁
all the best of luck to you Flushot! no matter what happens, the bigger picture is always going to be becoming a doctor. definitely keep in touch! i'm going to miss this awesome thread 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
Classes are in full swing next week at TCOM. If anyone is still reading this thread, just wanted to say one of my friends just got poached from TCOM meaning............someone is getting off of the waitlist. Hoping that it goes to someone here and hope to see you here at TCOM. Best wishes.
Classes are in full swing next week at TCOM. If anyone is still reading this thread, just wanted to say one of my friends just got poached from TCOM meaning............someone is getting off of the waitlist. Hoping that it goes to someone here and hope to see you here at TCOM. Best wishes.
I just called them and they said the last day they can accept anyone off the waitlist is this Friday, which I would presume is very unlikely so just an update to anyone who is still waiting.
Also, I want to clarify poaching. Poaching is when a school accepts a student off a waitlist that they know has acceptances somewhere else. They also have info on how high this student ranked that particular school during the match.
For example, Marvo put TCOM as #1 but got waitlisted. After the grace period ended, she got immediately poached when they learned TT-El Paso also accepted her and TCOM was originally her #1. This is a perfect example of a poached candidate, so most examples won't be like her.
I'm more of less guessing about the process of poaching, but yeah, after some summer deadlines, poaching is not allowed anymore, mostly out of courtesy to the other schools. They can still accept people off the waitlist if their main class is missing spots though, but it's hardly aiming for people with certain 'marks' if you will.
Anyway, this whole experience has been draining. Like I said before, I'll hold out until the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over now.
Also, I want to clarify poaching. Poaching is when a school accepts a student off a waitlist that they know has acceptances somewhere else. They also have info on how high this student ranked that particular school during the match.
For example, Marvo put TCOM as #1 but got waitlisted. After the grace period ended, she got immediately poached when they learned TT-El Paso also accepted her and TCOM was originally her #1. This is a perfect example of a poached candidate, so most examples won't be like her.
I'm more of less guessing about the process of poaching, but yeah, after some summer deadlines, poaching is not allowed anymore, mostly out of courtesy to the other schools. They can still accept people off the waitlist if their main class is missing spots though, but it's hardly aiming for people with certain 'marks' if you will.
Anyway, this whole experience has been draining. Like I said before, I'll hold out until the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over now.
M
maybee
I'm a new applicant and I am having trouble logging into the website.. I found my way to here, https://ams.unt.edu/whatsmyeuid.php entered my information but it could not find my files.. This is the first time I'm trying to access the secondary, am I doing something wrong here?
This may sound very silly seeing as the application is closed, but could someone PLEASE post the prompts for the essays in the secondary.
I would greatly greatly appreciate it.
I would greatly greatly appreciate it.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 457
- Views
- 157K
- Replies
- 264
- Views
- 93K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 488
- Views
- 128K
