UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but nothing we can do except patiently wait for the good news. I think there should be a fair amount of movement this month.

If the medical masters waitlist starts moving how does it affect the Osteopathic progam waitlist? If individuals are waitlisted on both and they get into the medical masters program, do they then drop off the medical school's waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a really good question. It would be a realyl unique situation to be in. Are you one of those dual waitlisted people dcowboys? If so, that definitely warrants a call. At least they can give you a response beyond re-reading the reapplicant page on TCOM's website.

If I recall correctly it does not have any effect on the TCOM admissions. I remember they sent an email to all the waitlisters informing them of the med science program. From that email it says the following, "Should you decide to apply for this program, your application will remain under consideration for Fall 2009 admission for TCOM regardless of the decision made by the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences." Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhhh, okay. I guess I was curious because I never received that email since when I applied to TCOM's SMP, I was flat out rejected :(

But that's good that the decisions are independent.

No, I'm not one of those dual waitlisted people.

I remember that line from the email they sent to all of us on the waitlist regarding the masters program. Also, I've heard stories about individuals leaving the master's program if they get accepted off the waitlist somewhere.

I was asking because someone on the previous page of the thread noted that the medical masters program waitlist would start moving on the 27th of April and it could effect the Osteopathic Program's waitlist. I didn't think that the masters program's waitlist could affect the osteopathic program. (And know I know that it doesn't affect the Osteopathic waitlist)

I am actually somewhat suprised that pretty much every school has had some waitlist movement except TCOM.

No, I'm not one of those dual waitlisted people.

I remember that line from the email they sent to all of us on the waitlist regarding the masters program. Also, I've heard stories about individuals leaving the master's program if they get accepted off the waitlist somewhere.

I was asking because someone on the previous page of the thread noted that the medical masters program waitlist would start moving on the 27th of April and it could effect the Osteopathic Program's waitlist. I didn't think that the masters program's waitlist could affect the osteopathic program. (And know I know that it doesn't affect the Osteopathic waitlist)

Ah I see what you mean. Then again, it was speculation about the Master's waitlist as well, so maybe they haven't moved either. That said, let's hope this week is the first breakthrough.

:xf::xf::xf::xf: I wish we could all hear something soon :scared:

hey everybody! so i know i've been very quiet (busy graduating) but i do check up on you guys frequently. i have some news:

i just received a call from Lynn Scott telling me that i've been accepted off of the waitlist. so good news for everyone: MOVEMENT

ALSO, i do plan on giving it up. i really really REALLY hope one of you guys gets it!! hang tight everyone, the waitlist is starting to move :D

Last edited:
oh and i forgot to add that my status did change to " Congratulations! you have been accepted. A letter of admission will be mailed to you." just in case anyone was wondering.

i'm not sure if it changed before the call or not because i checked it a while after the call. back during pre-matches i think a lot of people had their status change before the call. i hope this helps.

Wow, congrats marvo! I'm glad you made your decision and I'm sure you'll be really happy in El Paso. There will be plenty of action going on there for sure.

Thanks for the notice though. I had a feeling that they had to do this sometime, despite what happened. Here's to good news for tomorrow.

Congrats marv!! although I am very envious :rolleyes:

Yeah, tell me about. Everytime I get a phone call, I get the chills, only to be disappointed/mildly irritated when it's just a friend asking me to get lecture notes for him :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks FluShot and meganmarie. i've missed you two :p

i totally didn't expect anything from TCOM. i was in the middle of getting a brain cramp from this lab report. it was a very surprising and bittersweet call from Lynn Scott. it brought me back to the few months back when i had my heart set on TCOM *tear* it was a really hard decision, but i've gotten too much ready for TT-EP and they offered me a full scholarship...sooooo yeah... just makes more sense for me to go there without debt and since i don't plan on doing primary care.

i'm really hoping my spot goes to somebody on SDN. i'm rooting for you guys :xf:

Well, I'm really happy for you, especially that full scholarship :eek:
That would be hard to turn down in many situations.

So, how did you tell them? Over the phone or do you let them know electronically?

yeah, it's nice to know that the money i'll be making in residency will be mine to pocket.

anyway, she didn't ask for an answer over the phone. she said that there will be a letter sent out for me to accept or decline. so, unfortunately, the whole process of emptying my seat might take at least a week. i promise i'll send it in quickly for you guys.

Ah, I see. Just curious; not like I'm trying to nudge ya or anything ;)

We're going to miss you around here. It was a fun past few months posting on here. Even if TCOM doesn't share the love, I'll remember the good times. Be sure to stop by now and then in the future somewhere :)

haha you act like i'm going to fall off of the face of the earth and go lock myself up in EP. of course i'll be checking up on here until classes start. we can always keep in touch via aim, facebook, SDN, etc. don't think i've forgotten about the guitar lessons :p so, for now, are u all set for AZCOM?

Congrats marvo!

Does anyone have the link to sign in and check our status page, i cant seem to find it anywhere. I used to go through TMDSAS to get to the page but now i cant seem to do that.

haha you act like i'm going to fall off of the face of the earth and go lock myself up in EP. of course i'll be checking up on here until classes start. we can always keep in touch via aim, facebook, SDN, etc. don't think i've forgotten about the guitar lessons :p so, for now, are u all set for AZCOM?

Haha, you know, I was considering learning guitar or piano this summer before it all started, so I might get back to you on that. Definitely add me on Facebook later :)

Yeah, I 'm in your mindset; I'm not expecting anything from TCOM. After that crushing rejection from their SMP a year ago, I made the safe assumption that I'm probably going to stay in AZ next year. I guess you could say I'm still numb from last year.

That said, you can bet I'll sac everything if I get the call. I hate to do it too because everything is pretty much set up, roommate and all. That's why I'm a little disappointed that TCOM is so behind it all. I mean, like you said, you let them know by snail mail, so even for others who also turn down their seat, it won't come in until much later, whenever that is.

Anyhow, they can't be anymore cruel than they have been so far. Sorry, just had to rant :laugh: I bet you're excited about EP, right?

Congratulations marvolush, and thanks for the information. I wish you all the best at Tech El-Paso. Flu shot you were right on you said someone may hear this week so we never know.

Congrats Marvolush! Wish you well at El Paso & congrats on the full scholarship!!

Things happen when you least expect them I guess. Gotta keep the faith!

thanks everyone!

FluShot - i'm not too excited about EP. it's all far away and in another time zone.... knowing that i'm diving into years of studying and stress isn't all too appealing either. i'm excited that i'm one step closer to reaching my dream of being a doctor though (i just wish i could skip all the hard stuff :D)

and yeah not matching to TCOM at first was pretty upsetting so i just sort of dropped it from my brain and moved on with life. if it weren't for that scholarship at EP i would probably be hearing all these voices in my head trying to tell me what to choose. i know i'm taking a risk by going to a brand new school, but i've met a few of my classmates and half of them are on FB so i think this group of people won't be so bad. we'll see...worst case scenario is that i won't learn anything from TT-EP and that i'll be on my own to study for the USMLE, but whatever. we'll see :xf:

thanks everyone!

FluShot - i'm not too excited about EP. it's all far away and in another time zone.... knowing that i'm diving into years of studying and stress isn't all too appealing either. i'm excited that i'm one step closer to reaching my dream of being a doctor though (i just wish i could skip all the hard stuff :D)

and yeah not matching to TCOM at first was pretty upsetting so i just sort of dropped it from my brain and moved on with life. if it weren't for that scholarship at EP i would probably be hearing all these voices in my head trying to tell me what to choose. i know i'm taking a risk by going to a brand new school, but i've met a few of my classmates and half of them are on FB so i think this group of people won't be so bad. we'll see...worst case scenario is that i won't learn anything from TT-EP and that i'll be on my own to study for the USMLE, but whatever. we'll see :xf:

thanks everyone!

thanks everyone!

sorry for the multiple posts....my computer went high on SDN...

Heh, no worries. SDN has been like that for the past few weeks.

I think you'll do fine at EP. It's a new school but it's still a branch school, so I think TT knows what to do. That said, given we posted like 10 billion times that the ranks are locked and we're stuck at where we are, I pretty much did the same. I guess I just miss this thread too much so I come back to speculate some more :)

Anyhow, you'll do well in EP and I'm sure your future classmates are pretty cool.

I've also been thinking about that period between the movement yesterday and the next time they release more seats. It seems that we probably won't hear anything for at least a week and a half from now, especially if they plan on doing two sets of acceptances this week. I got excited thinking there was going to be more action this week, but I wouldn't count on it.

i'm not so sure if waitlist movement will be quite as frequent as prematches in terms of doing it every week. maybe things will really heat up in June when people holding multiple seats will have to pick one.

and yeah i do miss this thread. i lurk a lot now...so if you trash talk me i'll know (jk :p) i wish i could take my situation with TT-EP and just move it to Ft. Worth and throw in some SDN people hehe. ah...i can only dream...

Keeping dreaming with us :) Haha, you know, I'll be truly sad when this cycle year ends and this thread will officially be archived. It was a fun time, but I doubt we'll have an easy thread to congregate at in the future.

Yeah, I'm thinking there might be one more bolus of acceptances this month and then ghost town until June. It seems even more dangerous for them to wait because they'll end up losing people they wanted but got turned down because it's so late. Oh well, I guess it works out for the rest of us.

When does the thread get archived? But waiting really does make one learn how to be patient espicially since we really do not know where on the waiting list we stand. But I do think if we do end up getting accepted the wait will make it all the more worth it and better motivate us to do well.

Definitely enjoy this thread... I believe the thread is archived once school begins.

There will be periodic movement every now and then, its hard to predict though. Hopefully there will be some movement after the May 15 deadline.

Yeah, I'll keep it faved for old times sake. In other news:

Dear Flushot,

Please forgive our error in sending you an award email. You continue
to be in a waitlist status. If that changes we will be happy to award
you then.

Sincerely,
UNTHSC Financial Aid
[email protected]
817-735-2505

:(

Dear Flushot,

you then.

Sincerely,
UNTHSC Financial Aid
[email protected]
817-735-2505

BOO.

Man I wish there was a petition we could all sign to get Flushot into TCOM. I seriously have my fingers crossed for you!

Dear Flushot,

you then.

Sincerely,
UNTHSC Financial Aid
[email protected]
817-735-2505

aw WTBLEEP man!!! what an atrocity. they should get slapped. maybe you should threaten them with a lawsuit for emotional distress :D

anyway, i'll sign the petition!

what exactly was the award for?

oh nvm...amid my rage i failed to consider the fact that Financial Aid sent you that. poopy heads...

Haha, yeah...I was going to post the email I got first, but then like 15 min later, I get that one. It was 15 min of excitement thinking "Ohhhhh I wonder what this means :D". The second email was like a 'just kidding lol'. I'm glad they're having fun toying with us :(

EDIT - Thanks you two for the support :)

I am ready to sign the petition for Flushot as well.

instead of signing the petition, just drop your seat, it will help him out more!

that is one mean error!

Do you guys think there will be some movement after May 15th?

Thanks everyone. It's really not a big deal anymore, but I'm guessing no one else got that error either.

dcowboys, that was my guess. I think they're only going to do more round of acceptances this month and then by June, they'll re-evaluate the filled class. If we time it, they really can only do acceptances every two weeks if people have to respond by snail mail.

Maybe this is why we keep hearing stories of them calling people days before orientation. They really only have maybe a total 5 or 6 acceptance rounds and if people keep going other ways, it seems plausible that they could use all of their rounds.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot about the significance of May 15th...yeah, then I can totally see next Monday or Tuesday being big deals. Here's to hoping :)

If they give out acceptances in batches, that the 2 week idea makes sense, because individuals have to respond via snail mail. However, the ideal situation would be to gve acceptances as soon as a seat becomes available, instead of waiting to give out a few at a time. It can happen at any time really.

May 15th definitely has significance, but the effect might be less for Texas schools. Someone can only be currently holding 2 acceptances in Texas if they matched somewhere and got off the waitlist at another Texas school. Another case would be if someone got into an out of state school and dropped their Texas acceptance... Maybe I'm just overanalyzing the situation...

Regardless We'll keep on hoping! :)

instead of signing the petition, just drop your seat, it will help him out more!

check!

i thought it was June 15th that was the official TMDSAS date to drop? i know TT-EP specifically said May 15th for us and i speculated that it was because we start so early. either way, i hope it's May 15th for everyone so that the waitlist can start moving faster.

June 15th should be the Texas (TMDSAS + Baylor I think) deadline for the schools to offer acceptances to people who are already holding another acceptance in Texas.

Congrats to y'all who got in, and of course I am still rooting for ya Flushot! (Maybe schools will take notice of your screenname's precaution after all this fun H1N1.... which was after H5N1 ... etc. etc. :\ )

Last edited:
June 15th should be the Texas (TMDSAS + Baylor I think) deadline for the schools to offer acceptances to people who are already holding another acceptance in Texas.

Congrats to y'all who got in, and of course I am still rooting for ya Flushot! (Maybe schools will take notice of your screenname's precaution after all this fun H1N1.... which was after H5N1 ... etc. etc. :\ )
Yup. Straight from the TMDSAS website:
"Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received."

"After June 15, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between [TMDSAS schools + Baylor]"

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html

Yeah, I remember this discussion. I also remember that in TCOM's waitlist letter, they said they have another deadline on June 1st, which is essentially the same as the June 15th deadline for TMDSAS.

Basically, by June 1st, TCOM cannot offer a seat to anyone who is currently holding another seat at another TX school. I don't have a link for it, but it certainly has to be somewhere other than this letter.

Well, I just got off the phone with both Fin Aid and admissions and I have to say that was the most helpful few minutes I've spent talking with them. Here's my report:

Financial Aid said that what happened to me was a system error and I don't have to do anything to get a new reward letter, that is, once admissions lets them know if I get accepted, they'll just resend the award letter.

I talked to a counselor about the waitlist but also the possibility that I may drop everything and reapply. I don't know if I let you all know this, but recent events in my father's health have emboldened me to try again for Texas, even with the significant risk.

For my situation, she said that I can explain it on TMDSAS and it probably won't be seen as a negative. I think there is more to it that I have to do, but it won't be an easy decision. I'm still torn as to what to do.

For the waitlist, she told us that there are no periods where they wait and call everyone at once. She says admissions calls as they get the notice from students that do not wish to attend. She also said that many students let them know over the phone if they will or will not attend, although it sounds like Marvo didn't get a chance to tell them.

That said, I don't know if there is a 2 week interval anymore, but rather they just do it whenever they want. Furthermore, she says that sometimes, for certain students, they do wait for the snail mail letter to decide on whether or not to accept more off the waitlist.

She also added that the waitlist movement as been unusually slow this year, at least initially. She suspects that after the deadlines, like we discussed, the movement will occur much faster, but it is still in essence a crapshoot, like any other waitlist.

That said, she ended this discussion with a note on the 'last moment' acceptances, which she says historically does happen. 1 or 2 students simply do not show up to orientation and so, a few lucky people will get a call to come immediately, which is insane, but again, it really can't be helped. I've already made up my mind that I would be one of those people who would sacrifice everything I've planned to attend, although it won't help my situation at all to tell them that.

As for reapplying and being on the waitlist (for others who might be considering this), she said that completing TMDSAS in July would be fine and that the two factors do not confound each other. She didn't say if it would be a benefit or a negative, but rather administratively, it won't mess up anything to reapply. I'm sure this has been done before, so I'm sure admissions is prepared for a few people like this.

So, that's my report. I think next Monday will bear some fruit for a few lucky souls and hopefully they'll report in. Until then, let it be.

Thanks for the information Flushot.

It is a very difficult decision to make whether to reapply. I believe there is only a small amount of space to discuss your circumstances in the TMDSAS application, but you do seem to have valid reasons for reapplying to Texas. I'm sure things will work out whatever you decide. I'm continuing to keep my hopes up.

I was curious as well about the turn around time once they accept a candidate off the waitlist. It is good to know that the admissions office usually gets a decision over the phone and they don't have to wait for snail mail.

Did the counselor give any inclination to how many students they have accepted off the waitlist so far?

I have been wondering lately How is it confirmed that students are holding only one acceptance as of May 15th?

Last edited:
I have been wondering lately How is it confirmed that students are holding only one acceptance as of May 15th?
After a certain date, I think sometime in April, mutilple offers of admittance to students at different schools became "public" . So people were getting emails saying "We know you were accepted here, here, here, so please make a decision as soon as possible." I think AMCAS takes care of it.

Something like that, :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.