UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information Flushot.

It is a very difficult decision to make whether to reapply. I believe there is only a small amount of space to discuss your circumstances in the TMDSAS application, but you do seem to have valid reasons for reapplying to Texas. I'm sure things will work out whatever you decide. I'm continuing to keep my hopes up.

I was curious as well about the turn around time once they accept a candidate off the waitlist. It is good to know that the admissions office usually gets a decision over the phone and they don't have to wait for snail mail.

Did the counselor give any inclination to how many students they have accepted off the waitlist so far?

I have been wondering lately How is it confirmed that students are holding only one acceptance as of May 15th?

Thanks for the encouragement. Granted, if TCOM calls, you can forget I even had these thoughts. I'll go because my family will only be a 45 minute drive away in case anything happens.

No, the counselor did not give me a number of who was pulled off the waitlist so far. Again, they're purposely keeping things ambiguous, probably so they can keep control over the situation.

As for the May 15, raaska is spot on that AMCAS controls this as well. Schools have to send their notices to the online thing as well.

You can bet this has been a hard decision. We only have about 2 weeks until TMDSAS opens for submission and I have to be ready and waiting...I never thought I've have to do this again.

Members don't see this ad.

You can bet this has been a hard decision. We only have about 2 weeks until TMDSAS opens for submission and I have to be ready and waiting...I never thought I've have to do this again.
have you gotten any feedback on your app? Like from adcomms?

I've gotten some from TCOM, when I called. She said that I should hold off until the end of July to wait until I hear from the waitlist, but she didn't give me specific advice on my situation. It seems it would be too late at this point to augment my app since it is 2 weeks before the opening of the gates, so I think she didn't say anything more than that.

Granted, she also assumed that I was banking on TCOM and only TCOM if I happen to reapply, which would make sense in that I should apply and be complete by July, because they don't really start looking at apps until then. However, other TX schools start early as well to beat the rush and for my stats, it would be suicide at other schools to wait until end of July to apply.

I would love to go to TCOM and having them call me would be great, but since there's no harm in applying early at TCOM, I'm not going to jeopardize chances at other places. I guess this is why this is so hard; I'd have to do this quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten some from TCOM, when I called. She said that I should hold off until the end of July to wait until I hear from the waitlist, but she didn't give me specific advice on my situation. It seems it would be too late at this point to augment my app since it is 2 weeks before the opening of the gates, so I think she didn't say anything more than that.

Granted, she also assumed that I was banking on TCOM and only TCOM if I happen to reapply, which would make sense in that I should apply and be complete by July, because they don't really start looking at apps until then. However, other TX schools start early as well to beat the rush and for my stats, it would be suicide at other schools to wait until end of July to apply.

I would love to go to TCOM and having them call me would be great, but since there's no harm in applying early at TCOM, I'm not going to jeopardize chances at other places. I guess this is why this is so hard; I'd have to do this quickly.
Did you apply to other TX schools this past year?

The reason I am prodding is because I know UTH and Tech will give you app feedback. And I have heard it's very useful.

I am still praying/crossing my fingers for you and TCOM, but please pm me if you want to talk about your TMDSAS app. I have learned A LOT in the past year.

Sure, I'll send you the story of my life if you have the time :laugh:

I'm writing the PM now, so it'll be sent in a few minutes. Thanks!

Sure, I'll send you the story of my life if you have the time :laugh:

I'm writing the PM now, so it'll be sent in a few minutes. Thanks!
Not in school, and I am jobless. I got the time ;)

Not in school, and I am jobless. I got the time ;)

Hey, it's a great time to relax before you head off to TCOM :)

I do intend on calling other schools, but it's a little intimidating especially when you tell them your numbers and they're like ehhhhhh :oops: I don't blame them but yeah, anything would help at this point, even if it doesn't raise my spirits.

EDIT - PM sent :)

they didn't even ask me for my decision over the phone. boo. well they definitely should have my letter by now. i really think your talk with the counselor should help your situation out and i really hope you get the spot that i gave up because that would be extra special. but hey...anyone else's spot will do :p

i'm sorry about your situation. i feel horrible about getting the acceptance because it makes life feel less fair for some people (speaking from experience) :( have you considered doing a year at AZCOM and trying to transfer? ... i'm actually not sure if TCOM accepts transfers... well May 15 is soon and things should get moving along and i hope it moves your way :xf:

TCOM actually does take transfers but after the second year. Have you talked with AZCOM about the current situation maybe they too may have some good advice to offer. I really hope things work out for you as well Flushot.

Thanks for the support everyone, but yeah, I don't plan on transferring. Instead, I might ask for a deferral, but then I begin to question if this is what I really want. I dare say I might try again in 2015 if this 3rd try ends in tragedy, which I would probably be more prepared for.

I don't know but this is one regret I don't want to live with. It seems that this is right; it's not only worth the risk personally, but for family as well. I don't think I can turn away from this, and yet, I can't help but feel disheartened.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I hope my sob story didn't murder the thread, so I'll bring back on topic.

The TCOM 2013 website is now up, with some interesting summer options. It's a shame that some people may be accepted during or after these sessions but what can you do.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/sites/DOClassof2013/

What confuses me is how varied each class' website is. I think the 2012 class website is significantly more useful:

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/organizations/tcom2012/index.cfm

It has everything, including a forum for information and downloadable documents for things like the chosen tablet and what not.

The other sites are either partially complete, unmaintained, or used for the class council. Either way, I hope that each year has a good cohesive online component, because it definitely helps the class as a whole, not to mention get everyone to know each other a bit more.

All of this talk might be moot and/or more applicable to the 2013 thread so yeahhhhh, here's to Monday and the subsequent week. Don't let us down admissions...make some people really happy :xf:

Yeah I was recently reading about the summer options. They seemed quite interesting in beneficial as well.

I agree with you flushot, there is definitely a huge benefit to the whole class of having a comprehensive website. To distribute information, announcements, and just bringing the class together.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to send transcripts for those of us waitlisted? Should I send them to TMDSAS or to TCOM? Hopefully things will move today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where to send transcripts for those of us waitlisted? Should I send them to TMDSAS or to TCOM? Hopefully things will move today.

I would send them to TCOM. Since February, I've tried sending TMDSAS my transcript after each class I completed, but the updates never showed up on my status page. I emailed TCOM, and they told me to just send it directly to their admissions office. Here's the address they gave me:

TCOM Admissions & Outreach
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76107

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the address. Now, this is for undergrad transcripts, right? I don't know if I have to send them my SMP one after I finish it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

So, I'm guessing no one got a call yet? Marvo posted that she got a call around 4 to 4:30pm on that Monday, so there might hope. Check your online status and see.

call/status change? anyone? anyone? :xf:

Nope, nothing but crickets :(

Maybe someone will get lucky in the next 20 minutes before they close :laugh:

I'm sure they called someone got a call but I doubt it's one of us. Maybe they'll make a new account and share the good news. I'd like to hear it so we can predict the movement.

EDIT - On further consideration, it seems that we kind of blew the May 15th importance to a bigger deal than expected, so maybe today wasn't the 'big' day, per se. I think if there's any day to look forward to, it will be June 1st, which is TCOM's special day. Until then, I think we can just sit like before. Maybe people will hear something, but I don't know if they'll come on here to share.

Last edited:
Well it looks like I may be giving up my spot at TCOM. I was accepted today at UNM. Sad to say goodbye but I think it's for the best. Good luck to all the waitlisters! I know how you feel.

EDIT - On further consideration, it seems that we kind of blew the May 15th importance to a bigger deal than expected, so maybe today wasn't the 'big' day, per se. I think if there's any day to look forward to, it will be June 1st, which is TCOM's special day. Until then, I think we can just sit like before. Maybe people will hear something, but I don't know if they'll come on here to share.

Yeah, I thought May 15th wouldn't be as significant for Texas schools because of the Match process already ensuring that students only hold one acceptance. Unless someone got in off a waitlist as well, then they could have potentially been holding more than one. However, the effect may trickle down - students getting accepted elsewhere and giving up their seat at a Texas school. The Wait List will shorten up after June 1st for sure.

DrDag - congrats on UNM! Have you decided to go there?

Congratulations on the acceptance Dr. Dag.

Yeah, I thought May 15th wouldn't be as significant for Texas schools because of the Match process already ensuring that students only hold one acceptance. Unless someone got in off a waitlist as well, then they could have potentially been holding more than one. However, the effect may trickle down - students getting accepted elsewhere and giving up their seat at a Texas school. The Wait List will shorten up after June 1st for sure.

DrDag - congrats on UNM! Have you decided to go there?

Yeah, I forgot about how the match circumvents this. Now, it's really up to each day. I guess it would be best to check myUNT everyday to see if it changes.

Congrats DrDag! Thanks for letting us know your decision and for the support.

congrats DrDag!

i just checked my status and it says:

Your application has been withdrawn from further consideration.

so TCOM definitely got my decline and my seat should be up for grabs by now...:xf:

Hey, thanks for the notification :)

Speaking of which, at what time exactly did they call you? In the morning? Afternoon?

you got it right in your previous post. they called me around 4:30pm. it must have been a last minute thing since it was so close to the end of the business day.

Oh ok, so literally at the last moments of the day. Thanks for letting us know.

That said, they probably changed your status before they called unless they did it the next day. I also have to plan for the event I am called during a final, which would suck since I do hope to answer it if they do call. This time zone thing can get annoying.

EDIT - I just sent out friend invites to all of you. We don't know when this thread will fall to make way for the 09-10 thread, but I'd love to keep in touch in the event some miracles happen in July. I know the last thread died around the end of July, but the coming of the next thread is pretty variable.

I'll probably post a long, mushy good bye when I sense the end coming, but until then I have to get back to studying :)

Last edited:
well i checked my status about 20-30 minutes after the call and my status was already changed. so they definitely did the status change the same day as the call.

good luck on your finals! don't worry so much about picking up a call during finals, i'm sure they'll leave a message. then, you can call back when you have all the time in the world and hyperventilate in their ear. FYI, the call was from "Anonymous." i don't know if it was by accident or intentional, but Lynn Scott did block her number from being shown.

Thanks for the info Marvolush! Its good to know they update the status around when they call.

FluShot this thread isn't going to drop off the map until end of July - probably not until school starts. There is a lot of time between now and July! :) Heres to some good news coming our way soon! :thumbup:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I plan to check the page regularly now, so I was just curious on the timing.

I figured they would leave a message. I missed my call for the interview invite, so it worked out then. Although, when I got that call, it was from an identifiable Ft. Worth number, so maybe it's different this time.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be withdrawing in a few days. I got accepted to USUHS (just waiting for the official letter before I withdraw). It was a tough decision, because TCOM is an incredible school as well. I wish you all the best of luck.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be withdrawing in a few days. I got accepted to USUHS (just waiting for the official letter before I withdraw). It was a tough decision, because TCOM is an incredible school as well. I wish you all the best of luck.

Hey, congrats on the acceptance! Thanks for letting us know too. That means one more lucky hope for someone here :)

You know, it's interesting that we've seen 4 withdrawals and no acceptances here. No love for the SDNers as of yet. I hope next week is generous :xf:

hey all,
looks like i will be withdrawing from tcom. i am so sad to leave because i love the school and the city; however, i was accepted to UNM School of Medicine and will be attending school there. good luck to those on the waitlist and to those starting school. countdown has begun!:luck::luck::luck:
:D

Anything new for anyone?

Nope. It's been a literal ghost town again and I also didn't want to double post without anything productive to say :laugh:

hey all,
looks like i will be withdrawing from tcom. i am so sad to leave because i love the school and the city; however, i was accepted to UNM School of Medicine and will be attending school there. good luck to those on the waitlist and to those starting school. countdown has begun!:luck::luck::luck:
:D

Hey, congrats on UNM! Thanks for letting us know too; gives us waitlisters some hope. That makes you #5 to report in :)

I'm seriously thinking they're just going to wait after June 1st to spill their acceptances out. Either that or the lucky ones don't come on here. I wish they would :(

Congrats on UNM Dr. Dag!

June 1st is almost here! (Next monday) The Wait List should shorten up since individuals accepted to another texas school drop off the list.

I counted 3 spots FluShot, how did you get 5?

I'm also counting Marvo and Live4Life. Did you get those two?

Forgot live4life because he was OOS and that was in april.

Got Marvo, veritas1, dr. dag and live4life.

Does anyone know if med science students have preference on the waiting list? I guess June 1st is that final day. It is so frusturating to see that every school has had major movement on the republic of texas thread except for TCOM.

Does anyone know if med science students have preference on the waiting list? I guess June 1st is that final day.

Are you referring to the Medical Masters Program at UNT? I believe they reserve a few seats for candidates in the masters program.

I don't thnk June 1st is the final date, but the Wait List will become shorter after that date.

Oh you got on the waitlist for the SMP? Yeah, I don't know how movement is for that.

Yeah, dcowboys, I'm looking for the 5th, but I can't seem to find it. I think that might just be those 4 who came here to let us know.

I am on the TCOM wait list. My question was there are some people who are on the TCOM wait list and did the med science program are those people people given first priority on the TCOM wait list?

I think they reserve a few seats in their class for students who completed the Medical Sciences program. However, I believe the individuals in that program do not find out if they are accepted until June. (After they complete the program).

Oh I remember that promise. I forgot that if they met requirements they would be considered again after finishing the program. There's no guarantee though, like every other SMP. I was just curious if some of you all applied to the med masters too.

Last edited:
Well, it's been 1 day after the so called big day for TCOM and I'm guessing no one heard anything :(

I gave it some thought and it seems that the Med Masters students probably get first dibs this month. I guess we really have to wait down until the wire, but I guess what can you do.

I don't know, what do you all think?

Nothing for me either, it seems that there is movement in June based on last years thread. So who knows whats in store. I cant believe its almost been a year since I applied.

Yeah, I read the old thread again, for maybe the millionth time, and it seems there was movement that wasn't tied to the Med Masters. Maybe the wait is getting me down. In reality, there's only 4 of us who are active here and also waiting (you, me, dcowboys, and megan) so it might be awhile, if at all.

Yeah we will have to wait and see. The list should have shortened up some now since the June 1st deadline has passed. However, we wont know how much shorter it is now.

As I mentioned before, I believe they reserve a few seats for students that complete their Masters Program and meet the admission criteria.

It's been pretty quiet around here, hopefully things will pick up soon.

Yeah I agree with you Flushot, the wait is so challenging espicially since both of us have been through a lot to get to this point. It sure would be great if the four of us got in. Has anyone talked with admissions recently?

well good for u malalaurka

anyway, i'm sure everyone has been through a lot to get here and i'm only wishing that it ends well for all of u :xf: i know the wait SUCKS booty, but at least u all have each other and there are people (e.g. me) pulling for u. if we all lived closely i would propose yoga for everyone, but yeah... there is still time. it's not over yet!

i am rooting for all of u guys as well. I know how hard the wait is, trust me. I am on the waitlist :( for my top choice in cleveland OH. Have called admissions i think 30 times by now, and checking my email frantically. I know how hard it is.
As soon as i hear from my first choice, same minute I will decline my acceptance into TCOM so one of you might get a chance to go there..

keeping my fingers crossed for all you

Status
Not open for further replies.