UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm OOS and had an interview on Aug 4th. They said they will give all OOS's an answer by Oct 15th about acceptance, and no news is good news. So I just keep waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all, my interview at TCOM is tomorrow, 9/24. I'm pretty excited about it, as I am a second time applicant and I am in the Medical Masters program here at UNTHSC.

However, I was wondering if anyone had interviews elsewhere that had similar credentials to me. I really want some other interviews in the state. My TMDSAS verified on 7/20/09.

Credentials: 29Q
3.35 GPA, University of Texas at Austin, Biochemistry,B.S.

I know my GPA is holding me back, big time, but... anyone else out there with similar credentials?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at TCOM with a (somewhat similar) 3.5/27Q. Still no word from other Texas schools. I'm hoping for others, but... no idea. I really loved TCOM, though, so if I get in there I would be happy anyway.

I interviewed at TCOM with a (somewhat similar) 3.5/27Q. Still no word from other Texas schools. I'm hoping for others, but... no idea. I really loved TCOM, though, so if I get in there I would be happy anyway.

I've been here a few months now, and it really is a nice place to be man. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Got my phone interview invite, and I was very excited. However, due to another interview, I was having trouble on the spot deciding on what day would be right for the interview. I hope I didn't leave a bad impression. I didn't receive the email packet or anything yet...did you all receive the email that was supposed to be sent out?

I've checked my status on TCOM's site, and it says I'm invited for an interview. However, I have not received the email 'packet'.

Best of luck to you all. I wish you all the best :)

What the name of the 2 admission people at tcom..its a lady and a guy...they select all applicants for the interview..anyone know there names?

I submitted my secondary online today and checked my status and it says its complete. I was just wondering how long do you guys think it would take to hear something about an interview invite. I have a 3.7/26P as my stats and I'm a Texas resident? Do you think I will get an interview invite? Now I just have to wait and see!!

I submitted my secondary online today and checked my status and it says its complete. I was just wondering how long do you guys think it would take to hear something about an interview invite. I have a 3.7/26P as my stats and I'm a Texas resident? Do you think I will get an interview invite? Now I just have to wait and see!!

I would say two weeks or so. They review the secondaries as they come in and they review every secondary that is submitted. Good luck! They are a great school.

How do you check your status? Could you please guide me? Thank you =)

Has anyone been rejected with with similar stats around the range of TexasPKP and Exalya? Applied early in the season with a 3.5 science, 3.7 overall.

TCOM rejected me through snail mail back in August with no interview. Kind of confused considering that I thought I would at least get an interview here. I got two MD interviews in Texas, and have three upcoming OOS DO interviews. Not sure what happened with TCOM or what I may have done wrong.

Solid EC's - healthcare volunteering, community service, leadership, honor societies, pre-med organization, research, full time job, publication, teaching experience, study abroad. Shadowed both MDs and DOs, sent in a DO letter.

Also already submitted a "file review request" with TCOM to see if they can tell me their reasons for no interview.

:confused: Who knows. Just figured I got unlucky with this one, I am hopeful and will be grateful to get in elsewhere, was just looking forward to TCOM after hearing great things. Oh well!

Last edited:
I'm really sorry about that news, I hope you get in somewhere else. Is anyone else anxious for Nov. 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sorry about that news, I hope you get in somewhere else. Is anyone else anxious for Nov. 15th?

Soooo anxious. I heard that they give out enough acceptances to fill the class, I think, unless I was mistaken... here's hoping.

How do you check your status? Could you please guide me? Thank you =)

Have you submitted your secondary yet? You must fill out the secondary before the deadline of October 15th to be considered. Once they get that and your TMDSAS, they will downloaded your files and match everything together. That can take a few days. You should receive another special log-in and password from Admissions that's different from the one you used to create your secondary.

Well anyways good luck to everyone both OOS and IS applicants. I really do hope I get into the school, despite the 8-5 schedule :thumbdown: but the people have been extremely nice, the students are really chill and plus its close to home. What do you'll think?

Well anyways good luck to everyone both OOS and IS applicants. I really do hope I get into the school, despite the 8-5 schedule :thumbdown: but the people have been extremely nice, the students are really chill and plus its close to home. What do you'll think?

I don't know if you met the anatomy professor guy, but I thought he was great... if the rest of the faculty is like him, it would be awesome. Also, the student guides at my interview said that many people stay home except for certain classes and just watch the lectures online.

I also really liked the technology aspect. It looked like they really take advantage of computers, something that some schools still aren't integrating that fully.

Yeah I think I got the same guy, he was really cool and it was mad cool talking to him. I forgot about the technology aspect of TCOM and how my tour guide said there are some classes you can watch at home. Anyways good luck with the app cycle!

Have you submitted your secondary yet? You must fill out the secondary before the deadline of October 15th to be considered. Once they get that and your TMDSAS, they will downloaded your files and match everything together. That can take a few days. You should receive another special log-in and password from Admissions that's different from the one you used to create your secondary.

I already had an interview at TCOM on Sept 4 but don't know if there's a post-interview website that I could check my current and future status. I have not received anything from them since the interview. Thanks.

I already had an interview at TCOM on Sept 4 but don't know if there's a post-interview website that I could check my current and future status. I have not received anything from them since the interview. Thanks.

Are you in state or out of state? If you're out of state it could be any time after October 15thish, but if you're in state, it'll either be in the pre-match (Nov. 15th through December) or in February's match. Did they not tell you that during the interview day?

Anyone else in-state going crazy with the waiting? I just wish I could *do* something... but there is only waiting. :/ I count the days to November 15th.

Anyone else in-state going crazy with the waiting? I just wish I could *do* something... but there is only waiting. :/ I count the days to November 15th.

Impatiently waiting too!!! What are you doing to occupy the time?

Where is everyone else, I feel like you and I are the only ones who want to go to TCOM

I don't know if you met the anatomy professor guy, but I thought he was great... if the rest of the faculty is like him, it would be awesome. Also, the student guides at my interview said that many people stay home except for certain classes and just watch the lectures online.

I also really liked the technology aspect. It looked like they really take advantage of computers, something that some schools still aren't integrating that fully.

Yeah I think I got the same guy, he was really cool and it was mad cool talking to him. I forgot about the technology aspect of TCOM and how my tour guide said there are some classes you can watch at home. Anyways good luck with the app cycle!
For this anatomy professor, was he younger or older? If it was Dr. Sheedlo (older), rumor has it, and I think he said it, is leaving at the end of the year.

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but the majority of people do go to class. Our current dean says you shouldn't learn medicine virtually, so if there is not a majority of people coming to lectures, we get our recordings stopped. And there are no videos because of literary copyrights? But this might, and I am thinking it will,change with the new dean. But just didn't want y'all coming in not knowing the full story.

It's rough, 8-5, but it's sort of preparing you for the real stuff along the way. I am about 4 months into it, it's a good experience. Crazy how much your learn. :eek:

Good luck :luck:

Where is everyone else, I feel like you and I are the only ones who want to go to TCOM

TCOM is definitely my first choice...I'm just trying not to think about it, but there is always that little voice in the back of my mind reminding me of how many days it is until Nov. 15th.

For this anatomy professor, was he younger or older? If it was Dr. Sheedlo (older), rumor has it, and I think he said it, is leaving at the end of the year.

He was definitely younger. Brown hair. Very attractive, actually >.>

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but the majority of people do go to class. Our current dean says you shouldn't learn medicine virtually, so if there is not a majority of people coming to lectures, we get our recordings stopped. And there are no videos because of literary copyrights? But this might, and I am thinking it will,change with the new dean. But just didn't want y'all coming in not knowing the full story.

It's rough, 8-5, but it's sort of preparing you for the real stuff along the way. I am about 4 months into it, it's a good experience. Crazy how much your learn. :eek:

Good luck :luck:

Yeah my girlfriend is in medical school 8-5, she said its very demanding but I guess 8-5 or 9-1 medical school is going to be demaning;) I just want November 15th to come already!!!

Impatiently waiting too!!! What are you doing to occupy the time?

I'm taking biochem this semester. It takes up some time... but not enough. :p Have you interviewed anywhere else? If so, how do you think TCOM compares? TCOM was my first and I'm VERY impressed, but I have my second interview on Nov. 6th at LECOM-B. Be interesting to see the differences.

I'm taking biochem this semester. It takes up some time... but not enough. :p Have you interviewed anywhere else? If so, how do you think TCOM compares? TCOM was my first and I'm VERY impressed, but I have my second interview on Nov. 6th at LECOM-B. Be interesting to see the differences.

I have interviewed at TCOM and will be interviewing at Texas A & M shortly and hope to have some more interviews in-state and one or two out of state. I was very impressed with TCOM and definitely liked how cool the students were. I'm beginning to realize that even if a school is amazing if your class sucks, then the school will equally suck, so I'm strongly leaning towards TCOM. What made you apply to LECOM?

Dear TCOM,
Please tell me you love me and want me to attend your school.
Love,
scummie

The waiting is brutual!!!

Accepted!
Congrats!
Dear TCOM,
Please tell me you love me and want me to attend your school.
Love,
scummie

The waiting is brutual!!!
No kidding! Why do OOS get Oct. 15th and we get Nov. 15th? Life is so unfair... :p
I managed to get my mind off of it for several weeks, but now I'm already getting anxious... :scared:

I have an interview next Tuesday :) Any tips?

There's an obstacle course all the interviewees have to get through. Bring a blowtorch and some plastic trash bags.

Be yourself! You'll be just fine. Remember, you're interviewing them as well to see if the school is also a good fit for you, not only the other way around.

Haha thanks! I toured there last week and loved it. This is my first interview (I applied pretty late) so I am nervous. Next interview is that Friday...

Haha thanks! I toured there last week and loved it. This is my first interview (I applied pretty late) so I am nervous. Next interview is that Friday...

I think timing is important but it isn't everything. I have friends who got interviews the first week last year and didn't get in. Just remind yourself I got an interview and that means they want me. All you got to do is be yourself.

He was definitely younger. Brown hair. Very attractive, actually >.>

HAHA yikes I know who this is. When I interviewed there I met him and he asked me if I had ever had anatomy, I said no, He replied saying that anatomy was going to kick my a** and he would make sure it would lol.

Hes a great guy though.

I've had my application complete through TCOM since late September and I haven't heard anything back from them. Does anyone have similar experiences? Has any OOS been accepted yet?

Dear TCOM,
I have been waiting patiently and still have not heard anything from you. I don't know what I did to incur your wrath, but please, please, please tell me how awesome I am. I just want to lovingly caress your cadavers? and sit through hours of biochemistry lectures. I would go to the far end of the world to do rotations if that would make you happy, but not really, since you're in the middle of a major metropolitan area. I anxiously await an interview invitation.
With much love,
scummie

November 15th is coming up for us IS's. Then, the next match day is sometime in February or something, right?

The pre-match is November 15th for IS's... BUT... I was just at TCOM yesterday interviewing and they do a prolonged pre-match. They said they rarely accept anyone ON the 15th... they could accept anywhere from November15th-December 31st actually. I was kind of surprised about that... and I'm hoping to hear closer to the 15th than December or even February :) but only if it's good news I guess.

Oh, and by the way, I wanted to remind everyone. It is a horrible idea to talk about bars/going out/drinking while you're sitting in the admissions office. And when you go out to lunch, don't order alcohol.

Someone did this, and it looked really bad to me, which meant that it probably looked worse to the student ambassadors and admissions staff.

Sorry if it was you and you're now reading this, but I thought people should know (even though I thought it was pretty much common sense).

The pre-match is November 15th for IS's... BUT... I was just at TCOM yesterday interviewing and they do a prolonged pre-match. They said they rarely accept anyone ON the 15th... they could accept anywhere from November15th-December 31st actually. I was kind of surprised about that... and I'm hoping to hear closer to the 15th than December or even February :) but only if it's good news I guess.

Yeah, I spoke to someone in admissions recently and they said basically the same thing. For the most part, the class is relatively empty. They said they've made a few OOS offers and early offers, but nothing major. They said they review files until December and sent out most of their offers around February 1st.

Hi Guys, I am new on this thread and had a question. I applied to TCOM and checked my status on Friday and it said I have been invited for an interview. I was not contacted over the weekend nor today over the phone. Do they take awhile to call after they update your statu[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]s page? What time of the day did admi.ssions[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]call the people who got invited for an interview? I might give them a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything from them. Thank.s

Hi Guys, I am new on this thread and had a question. I applied to TCOM and checked my status on Friday and it said I have been invited for an interview. I was not contacted over the weekend nor today over the phone. Do they take awhile to call after they update your statu[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]s page? What time of the day did admi.ssions[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]call the people who got invited for an interview? I might give them a call tomorrow if I don't hear anything from them. Thank.s

Check your spam folder in your e-mail. I'd give them a call though, tomorrow afternoon if you don't hear anything from them. Just out of curiosity, when were you complete?