UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary on October 14th, so I guess I was complete then. I didn't get any email from them.

I might just call them this afternoon to see what the procedure is to setup a date for the interview. Good Luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary on October 14th, so I guess I was complete then. I didn't get any email from them.

I might just call them this afternoon to see what the procedure is to setup a date for the interview. Good Luck to everyone!

Thanks for this info! My app was complete a bit after yours. I hope I get an interview as well!! You are in state right?

So this may be a silly question, but on (or around) Nov. 15th how will we find out? Will they email us? Some of you mention checking your "status" online but I can't seem to find out how. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So this may be a silly question, but on (or around) Nov. 15th how will we find out? Will they email us? Some of you mention checking your "status" online but I can't seem to find out how. Any help would be much appreciated :)

my.hsc.unt.edu... somehow try to set up your account. I had to call the IT to get my pin number. They will need to verify your EUID(?) and user name. Set your password and then you can proceed to sign in and check the status of your application.

You should check your email to setup that account. You should have received an email from TCOM to fill out their secondary online and in it they tell you your pin number and procedure to set it up.

For those who haven't gotten an invitation yet- Keep on checking your status page online. I apparently received a call from admissions and no one was home, so I didn't even know I was invited until I decided to randomly check my status page.

Anyone else interviewing on Nov 24th? Good Luck to everyone

I spoke to admissions earlier and they said if you don't hear from them by mid-December when they stop interviewing, you've basically been rejected. On the bright side, their admissions department seems to have everything together.

So hurry up! Send me that invite! :scared:

TCOM sent me an email saying they are going to call the people who are accepted starting Nov 16th.

TCOM sent me an email saying they are going to call the people who are accepted starting Nov 16th.

Did you email them about that or is that a mass email sent out to those who interviewed there already?

Hmm. Not a mass email, because I would have gotten it, BUT someone in another thread said they emailed TMDSAS to ask about this. They said pre-match begins at noon on November 13th. I wonder if TCOM will change their minds and start on the 13th- Mike Kennedy told us he doesn't like the idea of other schools giving acceptances unless he is at the same time. Apparently one school (UTH?) gave out acceptances on December 31st one year while he was watching football and it really bothered him. Haha!

Hey Everyone,

I had a quick question for those who have already interviewed here, do both of the interviewers ask similar questions (Why Medicine, Why DO, etc) or do they cover different topics. Also, is there anyway to find out who they are beforehand or is it just the day of the interview we find out?

I spoke with the admissions office at TCOM. Mrs Scott said that they will be offering acceptances on November 13th. This coming friday.

brace for impact...

Good luck everyone

Hey Everyone,

I had a quick question for those who have already interviewed here, do both of the interviewers ask similar questions (Why Medicine, Why DO, etc) or do they cover different topics. Also, is there anyway to find out who they are beforehand or is it just the day of the interview we find out?

Day of the interview is when you'll know.

My interviewers asked pretty standard questions. Why medicine, Why DO. though, as for the DO question, one interviewer was an MD and he said before he asked the question (why DO) that it really didn't matter.

Pretty standard questions. Other interviewer went through all of my ECs/Work experience/Research and asked questions about everything I had put down. Scholarship... everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you walk into the admissions office that morning, they give you a folder that has your schedule for the day. You might interview as early as 8am or throughout the day- I think the last one was at 2:45. Mine were at 8:45 and 2. Both of my interviewers asked pretty similar questions, although the conversations went in different directions pretty quickly. It was relaxed. Oh, and lunch at the botanical gardens was definitely the best kind of lunch offered for an interview day. ever.

I spoke with the admissions office at TCOM. Mrs Scott said that they will be offering acceptances on November 13th. This coming friday.

brace for impact...

Good luck everyone

It's my understanding that TMDSAS gives the schools the option of sending acceptances starting Nov 13th. However, not all the schools are exercising this privilege. It's crazy that the admissions office told you the acceptances were being given on the 13th, when the same office told me they would wait till the week of the 16th. I asked a few weeks ago, so they might have decided to change their minds since then.

for those of you who interviewed already, about how many people does tcom interview in one day? and if you stayed with a DO student, was the interview walking distance from where you stayed?

is anyone else here interviewing on the 19th?

for those of you who interviewed already, about how many people does tcom interview in one day? and if you stayed with a DO student, was the interview walking distance from where you stayed?

is anyone else here interviewing on the 19th?

There were 7 or 8 of us when I interviewed. Good luck with your interview! You are going to enjoy it.

It's my understanding that TMDSAS gives the schools the option of sending acceptances starting Nov 13th. However, not all the schools are exercising this privilege. It's crazy that the admissions office told you the acceptances were being given on the 13th, when the same office told me they would wait till the week of the 16th. I asked a few weeks ago, so they might have decided to change their minds since then.

Ms. Scott said that they are still not sure how many people are going to get acceptances on Friday. She said that it was Joel's call. So I think that they keep on changing their minds on the day, how many people are getting in, etc... Good luck everyone, I was told that around 100 people were going to get acceptances. I hope that some of us are in that bunch. :D

i was just invited a couple days ago by phone for interview, the lady said she would send a email with all the details but i havent received it yet, how long does it usually take to get that email?

Hey Yall,

For those who have already interviewed here, were your interviewers friendly, down to earth or were they the "serious" type and kept the conversation purely business and to the point (meaning did they discuss other random things or not)?

Thanks and Good Luck to all...I really want to get in here and am getting nervous as my interview day is inching closer. I hope I don't mess up :scared:

Pman- You may want to call Caroline later on today if you don't hear back..It usually takes them a couple of days to send it out (or Check your spam folder)

I had two completely different interviews. One was rather serious with lots of difficult questions. It actually was more than an hour because it was my last interview of the day when the interviews are supposed to be 30 mins. I was pretty much grilled on tons of random stuff (how the heck do I know the Hippocratic oath already or how much money is allocated to medicare/medicaid??). The other was rather short (25 mins maybe?) and the interviewer said "oh, you can talk about whatever you like...I'm not going to ask you any questions because everyone always has rehearsed answers." Believe me, it was rather hard and awkward for me to talk about myself nonstop.

For being the first school I interviewed, I was completely surprised and not prepared for the interviewers I got. I think it will be a miracle if I get into this school even though this is my number 1 choice....

TCOM seemed a little more formal than my other interviews actually. The first one, I got asked normal questions + some tough ones but it was very conversational. The second one was pretty intimidating --> question, answer; question, answer (and mostly hard questions too) etc. But finally we found something personal that we had in common and it picked up from there. Although the interviews were kind of tough, both people were very nice and I would say overall i was not too stressed. Lynn Scott makes you feel very confident from the moment you walk in the door. Don't worry! It will be fun!

On that note, don't forget how fun all this is everybody! I think sometimes people get so worried/nervous etc that they forget- this is one of the coolest times of your life. You have worked really hard to go to medical school, and now you are actually interviewing for it. Pretty cool I think.

TCOM seemed a little more formal than my other interviews actually. The first one, I got asked normal questions + some tough ones but it was very conversational. The second one was pretty intimidating --> question, answer; question, answer (and mostly hard questions too) etc. But finally we found something personal that we had in common and it picked up from there. Although the interviews were kind of tough, both people were very nice and I would say overall i was not too stressed. Lynn Scott makes you feel very confident from the moment you walk in the door. Don't worry! It will be fun!

On that note, don't forget how fun all this is everybody! I think sometimes people get so worried/nervous etc that they forget- this is one of the coolest times of your life. You have worked really hard to go to medical school, and now you are actually interviewing for it. Pretty cool I think.

Thank s mrpuff and LR and good luck to you both. I am late in the cycle and this is my first interview coming up and really want to do well. I am a bit nervous now that you have told me that some of them can be intimidating.

What do you mean by tough questions, ethical or health care related? (any examples?) From the interview feedback that I have read so far, the questions do not seem so bad. I just hope I do well, Thanks again

Thank s mrpuff and LR and good luck to you both. I am late in the cycle and this is my first interview coming up and really want to do well. I am a bit nervous now that you have told me that some of them can be intimidating.

What do you mean by tough questions, ethical or health care related? (any examples?) From the interview feedback that I have read so far, the questions do not seem so bad. I just hope I do well, Thanks again

I interviewed there and yeah it is formal but for the most part, it's pretty chill. The only tough questions that I got asked were why DO, but for the most part the interview is very relaxing. So just try not to worry to much :)

I guess just a couple of unexpected, 'out-of-the-blue' questions... I am having a hard time remembering specific ones. I was so nervous before my first interview- I literally tried to research every single question they could possibly ask me. Then when I got there (actually to my first interviewer's office), I realized that she was just a really nice doctor who wanted to get to know me a little better. The tough questions were about myself (the interviewer was really trying to analyze my personal qualities), and I had one semi-ethical question about the doctor patient relationship.

I was somewhat surprised to go to a DO school and not talk to a DO (both interviewers were MDs), but a doctor is a doctor and I like to see when people are working together effectively and efficiently, despite the different initials at the end of their names.

It really wasn't bad at all. You'll do great.

Hey guys,

First year TCOM student here and just wanting to wish everyone the best of luck on pre-match november. Just felt like I would tell those anxious beavers out there that last year I found about my pre-match the day before they started calling people online at the secondary application page.

For people who don't want to look that up the link is https://my.unt.edu/psp/papd01/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/? Login with your login (if you don't have in you can create one right under the sign-in box by clicking EUID). Go to the HSC Admissions tab and then click on application status and hopefully you'll see "Congratulations......." They'll update this before they call you but try to act surprise if you do find out before they do call (Here at TCOM we try to keep things personable, feeling a phone call is better than an email.)

Again best of luck everyone on their application process and hope to see this thread come alive in the next couple days with good news.

^^ Thanks for the heads up.

I just checked my status and it still says under review...
I hope I can get a prematch offer from them...I think I'll be checking my status incessantly over the next couple of weeks. Good luck everyone!

Mine just says, this application is complete. Please contact the admissions office to check on the current status of your application. What does that mean? I figured it would say 'under review' or something...?

My status changed to under review, and haven't gotten an email. Guess no pre match today.

Did they call or did you get an email? I'm at work and too scared to check either one.

I got in!!! I am soooo excited. Good luck everyone else and see the rest of you at TCOM!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Congratz to everyone who got in!!! I am interviewing here in 10 days and am getting more nervous day by day. Its my top choice!

To all who have received an acceptance- did anyone of you think right after the interview that you messed up some part of it and thought to yourself that it might hurt your chances of getting accepted (but still got a pre-match)? Please share as it will help calm my nerves. (Please Post interview feedback)

Congratz again everyone..Really Happy for you all :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If any current tcom students could post up a review of how they like the school, facilities, class and exam schedule, it would be much appreciated. I am definitely interested in tcom, but didnt get to hear from any students when I interviewed because of exams. Thanks!

Do any current students have any information on the ROME Program? I was overjoyed on Friday when I learned I had been accepted to TCOM, and now am hoping to get a little more understanding as to what the timeline will be for learning if I will have the opportunity to be a part of ROME. I had my interview with the directors on my interview day, and it seemed to go very well. I'd also really love to get a ROME student's perspective on what the program has been like for them so far.

Also, for current students, are there any specific apartments that TCOM students live in? I'd like to start looking to get that set up, but have no idea where to begin. Any feedback at all would be really appreciated!

If any current tcom students could post up a review of how they like the school, facilities, class and exam schedule, it would be much appreciated. I am definitely interested in tcom, but didnt get to hear from any students when I interviewed because of exams. Thanks!

Do any current students have any information on the ROME Program? I was overjoyed on Friday when I learned I had been accepted to TCOM, and now am hoping to get a little more understanding as to what the timeline will be for learning if I will have the opportunity to be a part of ROME. I had my interview with the directors on my interview day, and it seemed to go very well. I'd also really love to get a ROME student's perspective on what the program has been like for them so far.

Also, for current students, are there any specific apartments that TCOM students live in? I'd like to start looking to get that set up, but have no idea where to begin. Any feedback at all would be really appreciated!
I was going to wait until tomorrow,but what the heck, who needs a good grade on the last neuro test :rolleyes:

School-Overall, for me, it has been a good experience. I really enjoy my class-and your classmates have a lot to do with how your experience goes, btw. If you work hard, pretty much any opportunity will be available to us afterwards-and this goes for any school, DO or not. I am suuuuure they told you, but TCOM has had the highest averages on the COMLEX the past couple of years, and from a presentation given to us after orientation, we're getting state averages on the USMLE. Because of OMM, even if you aren't into it, you become more comfortable interacting with people you don't know and touching patients in the future will be no biggie. I like Fort Worth a lot-grew up in west TX, and went to UT to give you a perspective.

Schedule-yeah this is rough. After the first 5 weeks, you are pretty much in class/labs/OMM/clin med 8-5. I don't know how the replacement dean is, but our old dean would take away recording privileges if people didn't show up to class. It'll be interesting to see if this changes. But, IMO, it's preparing you for the real world.

Exams-we break down the curriculum into systems. Start off with cell science (cell bio, genetics, biochem), go on to MSS, Neuro, cardiopulmn, etc. You get the histo, embryo, anatomy, all relevant to the system at that time. You get quizzes dispersed once or twice a week, and major exams every 2 (sometimes every) weeks. I personally have compared this with my friends who have blocks of tests and I feel like this way is more manageable. They don't give you time to slack off. But-you also don't get many off weekends, since most tests are Mondays.

Facilities-the PTR rooms are fine, I personally don't feel like anything in gross lab is lacking, and I don't get to see the sim lab until this week ;) And supposedly that new building will be done for next year's class, so y'all get the nice big lecture hall. Our library is legit-they changed it to 24 hours this year, only first floor though. But if you are studying through the night, you probably have already snagged a table. No cafeteria, so bring your lunch, or eat out at the restaurants around. There is this food service downstairs-they bring italian, chinese, bbq, etc and each day it's something different.

ROME-the afternoons we have off, you don't. But you get to do pretty cool things-they have had a suture lab already, they've been to Lubbock for something...., they did an emergency dept rounds, etc. I am not the best person to tell you about it, but contact the school and ask for a name and you can email someone in the program.

Apartments-Ridglea Village, Cumberland, the Canyons...at preview day apartments come out to campus and offer some pretty good deals.

I'll elaborate more when I have time, for now, hope it helps, and PM for anything :)

Congrats to all!

has anyone received a interview invited by phone for dec 4th? if you have, have you guys gotten the email with all the details for your interview in it yet?
thanks

did any of you stay with a student before the interview? when did you find out whether or not you got overnight housing? i sent my request form last week and i still haven't heard back, even though the interview is on the 19th ...

and if you stayed at the fairfield inn close to campus, did you like it?

Anyone got the official letter of acceptance/ package?
I got the email last friday(11/13) and the stats on the website also changed.

Congratz to everyone who has been accepted and to the people who have interviewed at TCOM !!! I have an interview coming up and am getting nervous. If you all can please post your Interview Feedback, it will be greatly appreciated. (the feedback tab is on the top of this page-I am fairly new on here so didnt know that either)

Thank you and Good Luck to all.

I am a first year TCOM student this year as well and just wanted to let y'all know PLEASE message/email me if you have ANY questions. I am more than happy to help with anything- it wasn't too long ago that I was in your shoes. Good luck!

I want to change my interview date, but i dont know if that looks bad to the admissions committee. is there anyone on here that changed there interview date and thought that adcom looked down upon it, or was adcom cool with it?

thanks

i got my interview today but was not asked any questions about why DO in any way... both were quite conversational and both interviewers asked me questions pretty closely related to my personal statement....

did everybody get the "why DO" or similar question? because i try to find ways to explain i'm interested in DO, but there's not really a good opportunity to exert that... which i found really strange in the TCOM interview

i got my interview today but was not asked any questions about why DO in any way... both were quite conversational and both interviewers asked me questions pretty closely related to my personal statement....

did everybody get the "why DO" or similar question? because i try to find ways to explain i'm interested in DO, but there's not really a good opportunity to exert that... which i found really strange in the TCOM interview

Hey thanks for posting this....Can you please leave an interview feedback for more details on your interview (Click on the link all the way on top, you will also find the type of questions others were asked there)..I have an interview on Tuesday and I am trying to prepare for it...Did both of your interviewers make you feel comfortable and did you feel like they were just trying to see what you wrote was true and didnt find it necessary to ask WHY Medicine or DO(maybe u just made it crystal clear to them in your essays :))?