UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to A guy on admissions and they said TCOM did NOT fill up their seats from match. Which is good news if you are on the waitlist

What? Did he say how that happened? I thought all the seats were supposed to be filled through match...

Members don't see this ad.

He didnt say how it happened. He just said they are well below their number. They may extend more offers in March and in May.

I think they are saving some spots for current Med Sci students. I don't know if they are saving any spots for the general applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are saving some spots for current Med Sci students. I don't know if they are saving any spots for the general applicant pool.
They are saving spots for the general applicants. They alternate from the med sci and general applicant pool

I checked my admissions status last night and it said that I was accepted, and that I should wait for a letter in the US mail. Just wanted to share the news with those who got waitlisted. Good luck!

I checked my admissions status last night and it said that I was accepted, and that I should wait for a letter in the US mail. Just wanted to share the news with those who got waitlisted. Good luck!

Congrats!!!! :)

Ugh. I rushed to check mine, but it didn't change... :( Are you in medsci?

I was accepted to the MS/DO program. It is a 5 year program, but I am going to pass since I was accepted at UNE. Good luck to whoever gets the spot!!

any waitlist movement here?

Is there anyone else who is still "Under Review" as opposed to being waitlisted??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!! :)

Ugh. I rushed to check mine, but it didn't change... :( Are you in medsci?

Good luck :) for tcom and vermont tomorrow!! I am sure you will hear back soon!!

Good luck :) for tcom and vermont tomorrow!! I am sure you will hear back soon!!

Thank you!!! Vermont was awesome! I think it just went near the top of my list... I actually left the interview day thinking that I would rather go here than some of the Texas schools I interviewed with. Even though the tuition is much higher, I think this school fits me the best. We shall see what happens though. :) If they take me... :xf:

Thank you!!! Vermont was awesome! I think it just went near the top of my list... I actually left the interview day thinking that I would rather go here than some of the Texas schools I interviewed with. Even though the tuition is much higher, I think this school fits me the best. We shall see what happens though. :) If they take me... :xf:

still rooting for you....

Not very familiar with this forum, but I've been on a couple times. Just found out I got into TCOM today! I'm a med sci.

Also, I have an apartment on campus, but my roommate is moving out. Where is the best place I can post a room for rent so I don't have to move out?

Not very familiar with this forum, but I've been on a couple times. Just found out I got into TCOM today! I'm a med sci.

Also, I have an apartment on campus, but my roommate is moving out. Where is the best place I can post a room for rent so I don't have to move out?

I heard more medscis found out today! I'm glad I'll see more familiar faces. Join the facebook group for our class because several people already posted wanting roommates.

I found out today that I was accepted too!! I'm not medsci...

I'm thinking about doing the med sci MS and since there's probably a pretty high concentration of med sci students in this thread, I'll ask my questions here.

How time intensive is it? Pretty much like undergrad, just harder material? Also, do you feel you learned a whole lot? Or was it just something that helped your resume? Any thoughts you can provide? Right now I'm deciding whether to do the med sci or to just take post-bacc classes. Not sure if the move up from Houston, and possibly having to give up my job if I can't transfer, is worth it. Anything y'all can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.

And Aggiefrog, does the "frog" part of your name have any significance to your Aggie career? Just curious if you frogged into anything or not. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then nevermind.

I found out today that I was accepted too!! I'm not medsci...

Congrats! :)

I'm thinking about doing the med sci MS and since there's probably a pretty high concentration of med sci students in this thread, I'll ask my questions here.

How time intensive is it? Pretty much like undergrad, just harder material? Also, do you feel you learned a whole lot? Or was it just something that helped your resume? Any thoughts you can provide? Right now I'm deciding whether to do the med sci or to just take post-bacc classes. Not sure if the move up from Houston, and possibly having to give up my job if I can't transfer, is worth it. Anything y'all can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.

And Aggiefrog, does the "frog" part of your name have any significance to your Aggie career? Just curious if you frogged into anything or not. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then nevermind.

I found it a lot harder than undergrad because they give you way more information in a shorter amount of time. Doing well in the program is supposed to prove that you are better equipped to handle medical school course load. I would say the difficulty is somewhere in between undergrad and medical school. If you want to go to TCOM, then I'd say definitely do it. You only have to compete with the other people in your class...not the entire applicant pool. There might be more people in the incoming class for this summer, but competing with only 200+ is much better than competing with 2000+. It's a good stepping stone for other schools as well. Quite a few from our class got into A&M this year.

The advantage that the program has over just taking more undergrad courses is that you get to learn some of the stuff you'll be getting in medical school. Previous medscis have said it made their 1st year of medical school a lot easier. If you end up at TCOM, you'll have some of the same professors. You'll be familiar with their teaching style, the material, and the study habits before you start medical school.

p.s. I don't know if you'd be able to keep a job while in the program. I only knew of one girl, but she flunked out after fall grades. She told me having a job at the same time really cut into her ability to do well. Maybe some other medscis here know of some people with a job

Congrats! :)

I found it a lot harder than undergrad because they give you way more information in a shorter amount of time. Doing well in the program is supposed to prove that you are better equipped to handle medical school course load. I would say the difficulty is somewhere in between undergrad and medical school. If you want to go to TCOM, then I'd say definitely do it. You only have to compete with the other people in your class...not the entire applicant pool. There might be more people in the incoming class for this summer, but competing with only 200+ is much better than competing with 2000+. It's a good stepping stone for other schools as well. Quite a few from our class got into A&M this year.

The advantage that the program has over just taking more undergrad courses is that you get to learn some of the stuff you'll be getting in medical school. Previous medscis have said it made their 1st year of medical school a lot easier. If you end up at TCOM, you'll have some of the same professors. You'll be familiar with their teaching style, the material, and the study habits before you start medical school.

p.s. I don't know if you'd be able to keep a job while in the program. I only knew of one girl, but she flunked out after fall grades. She told me having a job at the same time really cut into her ability to do well. Maybe some other medscis here know of some people with a job
I know of a couple of people who have jobs, but it's because the HAVE to work not because they want to have some cash to have fun on the weekends. Their grades are ok I believe but I know it takes a lot out of their time in studying. If you really need to work I would do something flexible that's on campus.

Yeah I don't know any medscis with a job but I think it would be next to impossible to get As in your classes, which is the whole point, right?

Yeah it would definitely be way too stressful. The people I know who needed money to be in the program just withdrew loans. I think tuition is somewhere around $7000-8000 total...can't remember

Got accepted to TCOM yesterday. Woot, im going to be a doctor.

Thanks for all the info on the med sci program. Gave me some good stuff to think about. Finished my application today, but even if I'm accepted I'm not sure if it'll be the best thing long term. Definitely some food for thought.

Thanks.

Got accepted to TCOM yesterday. Woot, im going to be a doctor.

Congrats!! The wait is over :)

Thanks for all the info on the med sci program. Gave me some good stuff to think about. Finished my application today, but even if I'm accepted I'm not sure if it'll be the best thing long term. Definitely some food for thought.

Thanks.

Good luck if you decide that's what you want to do!

Just thought id post up my stats to give some hope to others.

3.25 overall undergrad, 3.46 science, 26 MCAT, Biochemistry major, and should end up with a 3.92 overall in the Med Sci program.

Hi- I just joined! I was just pulled off the waitlist as well a couple of days ago. Im not premedical. Does anyone know how many spots they had open? If the matched class was "well below" the expected amount I wonder how many offers tcom gave out.
Anyways if you're on the waitlist it looks like theres a lot of movement!!
Good luck :):)

Congratulations> how did you know ? did some one called you or emailed you...

Congratulations> how did you know ? did some one called you or emailed you...

Well I first checked my status online- thats what they change first. They also call you (I got the call five days after the status change), and they also send you a letter with a contract that you have to send back within two weeks of acceptance. Sooooo long story short- check your status online daily to find out the quickest way ;)

I will be giving up my spot at TCOM tomorrow (Texas Tech finally saw the light). I hope the spot goes to someone who is as excited as I am at the prospect of becoming a doctor. Good luck to all!

Hey guys. i forgot to mention that i also have given up my spot at tcom, so i hope it goes to someone who really wants it :-D

Got accepted to TCOM today!!! Yay! :love:

Got accepted to TCOM today!!! Yay! :love:

Congrats! Hey! I know you by the way... Haha, we are FB friends from way back in grad school. I noticed your screen name and thought of you! I am so happy that you finally got into TCOM!!! Hopefully I will be able to join you soon! :rolleyes: If this waitlist really starts moving again... It's been a quiet month...

Congrats! Hey! I know you by the way... Haha, we are FB friends from way back in grad school. I noticed your screen name and thought of you! I am so happy that you finally got into TCOM!!! Hopefully I will be able to join you soon! :rolleyes: If this waitlist really starts moving again... It's been a quiet month...

Haha, yep I remember talking to you about TCOM! I really hope you get in!!! Let me know what happens! :)

Did anyone fill out the TMDSAS optional essays? Are they important? I feel that a lot has been addressed in my PS already, so anymore would be redundant. I'm in the new cycle btw. Thanks

Did anyone fill out the TMDSAS optional essays? Are they important? I feel that a lot has been addressed in my PS already, so anymore would be redundant. I'm in the new cycle btw. Thanks

Don't leave anything blank. Schools want to see that you give everything 100%. PM if you have any other questions.

I did one of the optional ones and left the other blank because I didn't have anything else to say. I thought my first two essays were good, and writing some contrived crap about "hardships" would have just weakened my application. If you don't have anything else substantial and relevant to say, don't just put some BS down for the sake of it.

I did one of the optional ones and left the other blank because I didn't have anything else to say. I thought my first two essays were good, and writing some contrived crap about "hardships" would have just weakened my application. If you don't have anything else substantial and relevant to say, don't just put some BS down for the sake of it.
Like :thumbup:

I just used the two optional essays to describe more about me. They may not have fully answered the prompt but the prompts are crap anyways so i just used it to tell more about me personally.

I hate the hardship prompts. If I have gone through a hardship, I don't want to tell everyone and make it seem like I'm either making excuses, or expecting special treatment because of it.

I withdrew my acceptance today, so to all those still waiting, I hope it goes to one of you! ;)

is it true that they don't require a DO letter? The primary that I am filling out suggests that I do not add any more LORs other than the committee letter.

is it true that they don't require a DO letter? The primary that I am filling out suggests that I do not add any more LORs other than the committee letter.

It is not required. Also there is a portion of the secondary application for tcom that allows you to add an additional letter of rec.

has anyone heard of anything regarding the waitlist...its been awfully quiet for the past few weeks...