UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha yeah it's brutal. She sent me the first sem schedule for M1, and it's not pretty. Just remember not everything is mandatory, but here it is:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...0B8vM1csI5XCp1E2RJWjbp&hl=en&authkey=CO_w3dMP

Let me know if you can't access it.

:eek: I think I'll just stay over on our AWESOME facebook page, live in la la land for as long as possible and pretend I didn't see that...

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone that's not on the FB page:
A person from the admissions office said he sent out most of the letters before the storm hit, but it still may take awhile for them to reach you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys Mike on the FB page mentioned a "TCOM class of 2015 day." What's this about? Can any current students shed some light for us new kids! Should we try to attend this day?

Hey guys Mike on the FB page mentioned a "TCOM class of 2015 day." What's this about? Can any current students shed some light for us new kids! Should we try to attend this day?

I read in the previous class thread that they had some sort of open house or something like that sometime in April last year. I'm not sure if the two are the same.. I hope not because I have to work! I was expecting it to be in March/April. We'll see... let this "wintery storm" pass first and then I'll shoot them a ring.

seems like i will be going to tcom in the fall as well. does anybody know of some good places to live that are nearby campus?

seems like i will be going to tcom in the fall as well. does anybody know of some good places to live that are nearby campus?

Join the fb group there are lots of suggestions being tossed around

Can someone confirm dates for the following:
Preview Day
Orientation
White Coat Ceremony

Also -- has anyone heard anything about the dates or typical length of the optional pre-anatomy and biochem classes that occur prior to orientation?

Thanks!

Preview: Feb. 26, 2011 (info was in the facebook group).
Orientation: Monday, July 18, 2011.
Coat: No idea
Classes: No idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone knows about SDN.

I sent Mike Kennedy (TCOM admissions) a message about this and he said he would try and get the word out (about our facebook page). However, campus has been closed since Tuesday. So, wait and wait we shall. I know there are already people trying to figure out places to live and possible roommates so let's hope our whole class joins soon.

-Mike

To answer some of y'alls questions:

The Coat Ceremony is always the weekend before your first day of class. I can't remember if it is on Sat or Sun.

The pre-matriculation classes are for 2 weeks. The biochem spans the whole two weeks, while the TCOM survival course as well as the Anatomy course are only for 1 week each.

Your class size may seem large, but we started the year off with like ~220 or so. We had some repeaters in our class which is the reason why our class size became so big.

Congrats to everyone and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm getting very bored after being snowed in for 4 days. Lucky us, we get school tomorrow now...

Your renal test is on Wednesday afternoon? ha
I think it's going to snow a bunch that day. They may have to push things back even further.

To answer some of y'alls questions:

The Coat Ceremony is always the weekend before your first day of class. I can't remember if it is on Sat or Sun.

The pre-matriculation classes are for 2 weeks. The biochem spans the whole two weeks, while the TCOM survival course as well as the Anatomy course are only for 1 week each.

Your class size may seem large, but we started the year off with like ~220 or so. We had some repeaters in our class which is the reason why our class size became so big.

Congrats to everyone and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm getting very bored after being snowed in for 4 days. Lucky us, we get school tomorrow now...

Preview: Feb. 26, 2011 (info was in the facebook group).
Orientation: Monday, July 18, 2011.
Coat: No idea
Classes: No idea.

Per the agreement form that they sent out with my prematch, orientation begins on Mon, Jul 18 and the first day of class is Monday, Jul 25.

Oh and, anyone know yet what the preview day is going to entail? Everyone (parents, boyfriend) wants to come with me, and I keep telling them it's probably not anything for family and friends. Can any of the current students tell us what it is exactly? Thanks!

Last edited:
^^ How do u know when our Renal test is??!?

He's stalking you. Haha, just kidding. He's already on campus this semester working on his MPH before we start our med school classes in July, so I'm sure he's befriended some people in your class :)

Hey Everyone,

Well this is my first post, I'm still try to figure this whole forum thing out.

I am on the waitlist for TCOM 2015 and I was wondering if anyone knew

1) When the waitlist typically begins to move
2) What are the chances of getting in off the waitlist
3) Does TCOM rank their alternates?

Thanks

He's stalking you. Haha, just kidding. He's already on campus this semester working on his MPH before we start our med school classes in July, so I'm sure he's befriended some people in your class :)

HA! That's pretty much 100% correct. My roommate is actually in the 2014 class. Hey, inquiring minds inquire... You might even catch me at a morning lecture from time-to-time. Can't wait for endocrinology next week! :thumbup:

I'm not a gunner or anything... I just truly find biology and pathology fascinating and I have a lot of time on my hands (as the public health classes aren't too demanding).

Hey Everyone,

Thanks

You should probably shoot an email to the addmissions office. I'm sure they will help you.

Do you guys know if TCOM gives out needs-based scholarships/grants, or is it just mostly loans?

Hey Everyone,

Thanks

Let me guess, Honeybrowne fan... or more like Texas Angel fan since they are one hit wonders.

1) The wait-lists typically begin to move around mid-march and will go all the way until orientation. (assuming you don't have another offer in Texas, if so then you will be pulled from wait-lists June 15th)

2) Chances of getting off the wait-list for TCOM I would think would be fairly good, if you are a good candidate. Hate to say it b/c I love TCOM but many Tx kids rank the other in-state programs above TCOM. So as the other wait-lists move TCOM's moves as well.

3)I believe most schools rank alternates, that's how they go down the list. I'm not sure what other way it could be done.

Let me guess, Honeybrowne fan... or more like Texas Angel fan since they are one hit wonders.

1) The wait-lists typically begin to move around mid-march and will go all the way until orientation. (assuming you don't have another offer in Texas, if so then you will be pulled from wait-lists June 15th)

2) Chances of getting off the wait-list for TCOM I would think would be fairly good, if you are a good candidate. Hate to say it b/c I love TCOM but many Tx kids rank the other in-state programs above TCOM. So as the other wait-lists move TCOM's moves as well.

3)I believe most schools rank alternates, that's how they go down the list. I'm not sure what other way it could be done.

Here's one way:
SA told me last year that they, themselves, don't rank. They reconvene several times to discuss who should get the spots. That seems highly inefficient. I would think ranking would be a much better option

Here's one way:
SA told me last year that they, themselves, don't rank. They reconvene several times to discuss who should get the spots. That seems highly inefficient. I would think ranking would be a much better option

I guess that would make sense bc people send in LOI's

Last edited:
Do y'all think the preview day will be beneficial? I work that day (won't be a problem to switch) but would only be able to be there for that Saturday. Takes about 4-5 hr to drive.

Do y'all think the preview day will be beneficial? I work that day (won't be a problem to switch) but would only be able to be there for that Saturday. Takes about 4-5 hr to drive.

I see it as more of a social thing...getting to know people before July. I'm sure if they give us any important info, they'll just repeat it at orientation.

I see it as more of a social thing...getting to know people before July. I'm sure if they give us any important info, they'll just repeat it at orientation.

Yea, I think I will just have to meet everyone during orientation!

Do you guys know if TCOM gives out needs-based scholarships/grants, or is it just mostly loans?

Hey I'm a current OMS I procrastinating and just to answer a few qs going around yes they do offer grant money. It's based on need and who fills out FAFSA first basically.

Also preview day is cool. Chance to hear about the schedule, what life is like at TCOM from current students. You are introduced to some of the faculty, family is encouraged to come, etc. If you can't go don't worry, you will hear the same things about 129108 times during orientation.

Hope that helps and congrats to all who matched!

Hey I'm a current OMS I procrastinating and just to answer a few qs going around yes they do offer grant money. It's based on need and who fills out FAFSA first basically.

Also preview day is cool. Chance to hear about the schedule, what life is like at TCOM from current students. You are introduced to some of the faculty, family is encouraged to come, etc. If you can't go don't worry, you will hear the same things about 129108 times during orientation.

Hope that helps and congrats to all who matched!

Ya I was about to sign up when it occurred the Houston Rodeo Cookoff is the same weekend.... I don't know if yall have ever been to the cookoff but it is a must go for a good time

Are there any TCOM 4th years in here?
I have some questions about rotations/elective out of town sites.
Mainly, where can I see where I can go. Ive searched all over the TCOM website with no luck.

Are there any TCOM 4th years in here?
I have some questions about rotations/elective out of town sites.
Mainly, where can I see where I can go. Ive searched all over the TCOM website with no luck.

Just gotta know where to look.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/departments/ClinicEd/

Main 3rd Year Rotation Sites: Fort Worth, Conroe, Baytown, Dallas, Corpus Christi, Longview (just added for the following year).

Hello friends. Could someone help me by posting the secondary questions or pm them to me? I have trouble finding them. Much thanks!

Hi everyone! I didn't get to go to preview day back in Feb. Did I miss anything?
So far, I've just done the FinAid App, FAFSA, and Transcripts.

Anyway, I'm glad to be part of an active and exciting class at TCOM :)

Hi everyone! I didn't get to go to preview day back in Feb. Did I miss anything?
So far, I've just done the FinAid App, FAFSA, and Transcripts.

Anyway, I'm glad to be part of an active and exciting class at TCOM :)

I am about to start FASFA but where is the FinAid app? Thanks for your help :)

I am about to start FASFA but where is the FinAid app? Thanks for your help :)

Sorry I meant the Scholarship App.

Also, anyone know how the laptop thing works? Does the school provide us with the laptop (from our tuition money when we start) or do we purchase it whenever? I just broke mine :(

Also, anyone know how the laptop thing works? Does the school provide us with the laptop (from our tuition money when we start) or do we purchase it whenever? I just broke mine :(

They will provide you with a laptop, charged in your tuition/fees in first year. You cannot opt out of this (I personally wanted a different laptop, but they said you can't opt out). You'll receive it during orientation.

Thanks!!

What laptop does the school give you? I couldn't find it anywhere online.

The scholarship app was on the myHSC portal (there is a financial aid tab below where you can check your application status), but it was due on March 1st. But I don't think you missed much... the app implied there wasn't much scholarship help for 1st years. :)

Thanks!!

What laptop does the school give you? I couldn't find it anywhere online.

Dell XT2. We were supposed to get HP's (HP makes a better quality tablet PC) but ended up with Dell due to a problem in the ordering.

Dell XT2. We were supposed to get HP's (HP makes a better quality tablet PC) but ended up with Dell due to a problem in the ordering.

I heard that Dr. Sheedlo is pushing for our class to get macs, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. I think they might be giving us HPs

I heard that Dr. Sheedlo is pushing for our class to get macs, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. I think they might be giving us HPs

Hehe, Dr. Sheedlo is a big mac man ^.^ I doubt it'll happen with IT, though. I had an HP tablet through undergrad (which I mistakenly sold when I thought I was getting an upgraded one through TCOM) and it was a very good machine. Just be sure to remove all the bloatware.

I was thinking this at first too...but did anyone else find that the wait-list letter sounded a little pessimistic?

I talked to A guy on admissions and they said TCOM did NOT fill up their seats from match. Which is good news if you are on the waitlist