UT vs. EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Medical School

• Eastern Virginia Medical School

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • University of Toledo

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mddoc201333

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
university of toledo

eastern virginia medical school

please do not take into consideration cost.... I want an opinion about which school is better based on reputation, since both schools are unranked in USNews

Members don't see this ad.

There is probably more to the decision (of attending one or the other) than just the school's reputation. If you've interviewed there, which did you enjoy better on a personal level - where could you more easily see yourself as a student (and fitting in more)? I'm pretty biased (as I don't know too much about U Toledo) so I can't really do an effective comparison...

There is probably more to the decision (of attending one or the other) than just the school's reputation. If you've interviewed there, which did you enjoy better on a personal level - where could you more easily see yourself as a student (and fitting in more)? I'm pretty biased (as I don't know too much about U Toledo) so I can't really do an effective comparison...

Seriously. The reputation of a so-called "unranked" school should be one of the most minor factors in your decision and not the main focus. Pick the school with the best atmosphere, facilities, location, etc. It's a question only you can answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
the one thing is that I want to do either anesthesiology, PMR, or neurology and then hope to do a pain management fellowship... UToledo has all those three departments all with residencies... EVMS has only PMR residency..... should this be a factor in me choosing the school.... does the fact that a school has a department which I am interested in, increase my chance of matching into the program of that department?

i loved both places when I interviewed... it is sssooo hard to choose between the two

Seriously. The reputation of a so-called "unranked" school should be one of the most minor factors in your decision and not the main focus. Pick the school with the best atmosphere, facilities, location, etc. It's a question only you can answer.

:thumbup: They're both very good schools.

the one thing is that I want to do either anesthesiology, PMR, or neurology and then hope to do a pain management fellowship... UToledo has all those three departments all with residencies... EVMS has only PMR residency..... should this be a factor in me choosing the school.... does the fact that a school has a department which I am interested in, increase my chance of matching into the program of that department?

Medical education is generally pretty standardized years 1-3 with a lot of elective time 4th year. I don't know how EVMS handles it, but I would expect that if you wanted exposure to ______ field, you would be able to get it. Personally I wouldn't make this the deciding factor as your interest in ______ now might not be what you are interested in after 3 years of school.

If you haven't read it already, there is a review of Toledo here. You might search around for current students opinions about EVMS.

i loved both places when I interviewed... it is sssooo hard to choose between the two

Another thing to help is to go to each school's second look weekend (EVMS has one, don't know about U Toledo) to get a better look at each school. Use that chance to chat with current students there to get a feel. That's what that weekend is made for!

On another note, I have a friend who just matched in anesthesiology out of EVMS - you can do rotations away at other hospitals during your 4th year (I think?) if you want more exposure.

Another thing to help is to go to each school's second look weekend (EVMS has one, don't know about U Toledo) to get a better look at each school. Use that chance to chat with current students there to get a feel. That's what that weekend is made for!

EVMS has one, Toledo doesn't have an official 2nd look, but if you want to come back and check the school out all you need to do is call the admissions office and they'll set something informal up.

so far people are overwhelmingly voting for EVMS over toledo... but of course it is only 4 people who have voted till now...any reason why.............. and please i want some more input from other people.....

so far people are overwhelmingly voting for EVMS over toledo... but of course it is only 4 people who have voted till now...any reason why.............. and please i want some more input from other people.....

I interviewed at both, and I voted for EVMS. However, this was before I remembered that at U of Toledo you can get in-state tuition after the first year. That is huge. (At least, that was the case when I was applying).

I honestly liked both schools, and I think they're about equivalent in terms of "reputation". I don't think either is particularly well known outside of their respective regions, but they are both US allopathic schools, so you'll get a good education at either. The things that I remember most were that U of Toledo seemed to have better facilities and EVMS seemed friendlier and I liked Norfolk better than Toledo.

I declined to vote... you should listen to opinions, take in information and make up your own mind as opposed to letting a poll decide it for you.

do residency programs take into consideration state residency... for example... do california residency programs prefer californians from cali medical schools..... or in my case do ohio residency programs prefer residents of ohio from ohio medical schools, and the opposite holding true of virginia residency programs preferring va residents from va medical schools?.....

Ohio has got a LOT more residency programs available as compared to VA so there is a higher chance of matching into what one wants if he/she has ties to Ohio on the assumption that Ohio residency programs give preference to Ohio residents from Ohio medical schools.

I honestly would not even consider reputation between these two schools. Both have a pretty "average" reputation. In all honesty, when it comes to residency interviews pedigree is many times less important than Step I scores and LORs.

I would consider cost, facilities, proximity to family and friends, the city, and weather more important than reputation. I went to Norfolk recently for an interview, and I go to Toledo to school. Norfolk as a city is more fun and nicer than Toledo as a city. Norfolk will be more expensive to live in than Toledo. Toledo gives you instate tuition after your first year. I don't know if EVMS does that. UT is part of a larger university while EVMS is not.

Don't know anything about EVMS except it's in Norfolk, where I have been, and know a bit about Toledo since I'm from Ohio and know people there - I would say, purely based on location, EVMS - neither Norfolk nor Toledo are really happenin' metropolises (ha), but you at least have some diversity from the naval base in Norfolk, and hey, you have a beach

Toledo has Cedar Point, the best amusement park on earth...which is tremendously awesome, but I don't think that can determine four years of your life.

As for matching, yes, an Ohio resident may get a bit of an advantage in Ohio schools, but I'm sure for EVMS you would have an advantage anywhere in the mid south (VA, KY, TN, NC, etc.), not just in Ohio. Look at the match lists to see geographic distribution, but if you know you want to be in the midwest, go UT, if you know you want to be in the South, go EVMS, and if you want to be elsewhere, look to see which match list has more geographic diversity, guessing it's EVMS.

EVMS is a great school from what I have heard from people....

Status
Not open for further replies.