Washington State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a thread making binge.... :cool: But I applied to Washington my first application cycle and am giving it another chance on my third go around. Who else wants to live in Washington!?

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Idaho, so WSU is my "instate" school. Have you been to Pullman?

I'm applying! I'm IS and this is my first cycle. I went to undergrad in Seattle and didn't even apply to WSU because 18 year old me so didn't want to live in Pullman, but a change of pace sounds great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Idaho, so WSU is my "instate" school. Have you been to Pullman?

I have never been to Washington state at all. But I am the kind of person who can live almost anywhere. Location isn't a huge deal for me. It is actually the very last thing I consider. But I have been to Idaho many times! lol.

Either I'm just really bad with directions, of the WSU campus is intentionally confusing. I was there today and I couldn't even find a map of the campus until I'd been wandering around for 30 minutes.

The campus was really beautiful, though, so being lost was almost pleasant. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Were you there for a school visit?

I'm doing some shadowing in Pullman this summer. I had a few hours to kill and my WSU friends suggested going to the CUB, and then I couldn't find the darn thing. My campus is so much smaller and easier to navigate. :)

My undergrad was in a small town of 6,000 people (with school in session) and about 3 sq/miles. :). Talk about a small campus. lol. I have read some of the interview feedback responses on SDN and some people calling places like Manhattan, Kansas a "small town" makes me laugh. If you have a mall, you ain't a small town.

I don't think Pullman has a mall. The Moscow mall serves both towns, and people come up from Lewiston to shop here, too, because their mall sucks. Moscow's where it's at. :cool:

It's all about perspective! My undergrad had over twice as many staff and students as the whole population of Pullman :)

Heck, most of my classes had more students than a whole vet med class, quire a few even had more than the whole vet med college :laugh:

It's all about perspective! My undergrad had over twice as many staff and students as the whole population of Pullman :)

Heck, most of my classes had more students than a whole vet med class, quire a few even had more than the whole vet med college :laugh:

That is crazy! Your campus must have been so confusing. I can't imagine a student body that big.

The first term was a bit confusing, but I know that campus like the back of my hand now. I loved how busy the campus was. Pullman is going to be so empty compared to that.

I lived in a small town (less than 2000, so not the smallest, but still small), growing up, so I'm not worried about living in Pullmwn, but such a "small" school kind of terrifies me! Haha

This is my first application cycle and WSU is one of the schools I'm applying to! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one working on the supplemental app yet?

I'm having such a hard time deciding what to say for the first "Decision Factors" question.

The "Please describe qualities about yourself that make you a good fit for our program." makes it seem like they want you to talk about qualities you possess . But then they say, "(Such as: interest in specific programs, parent or friend who is affiliated with the program, connection to faculty or alumni, etc.)"

Knowing alumni isn't really a quality about my self!

Any one working on the supplemental app yet?

I'm having such a hard time deciding what to say for the first "Decision Factors" question.

The "Please describe qualities about yourself that make you a good fit for our program." makes it seem like they want you to talk about qualities you possess . But then they say, "(Such as: interest in specific programs, parent or friend who is affiliated with the program, connection to faculty or alumni, etc.)"

Knowing alumni isn't really a quality about my self!

I was accepted at WSU last application cycle, and what I put was (1) characteristics that they want in a student (as listed on their website), (2) that I knew vets/students who went/are going through the program, so I know stuff about the program already and think x, y, z would make me a good fit for x, y, z aspects of the program. Basically show how you know stuff about the program and demonstrate you've done your research, and show how this ties into why you'd benefit them if they accept you.

If it's anything like last time, there's one short answer about you, and one about the program, and the wording is a little confusing. If you really get stuck, email them for confirmation about what they want - they're super nice and helpful!

Great, thank you!

Yep, the second short answer question was about aspects of the program that influenced your decision. That was easy, since I had already done a lot of research into WSU when I started to consider vetmed again.

I hate talking about myself, so that's probably why the first question is so hard for me! haha

I should probably start looking at the supplementals, huh?

I have personal experience with this problem so I swear I'm not coming from far out of left field here:
It really, really matters to WSU if you are a friend or relative of an adcom member or a heavy donor.
Take that how you will, but if you know a professor or alum or anyone, apparently name dropping helps there. They will take outsiders, but your chances are greatly increased with familiarity.

I have personal experience with this problem so I swear I'm not coming from far out of left field here:
It really, really matters to WSU if you are a friend or relative of an adcom member or a heavy donor.
Take that how you will, but if you know a professor or alum or anyone, apparently name dropping helps there. They will take outsiders, but your chances are greatly increased with familiarity.

I don't really know how true this is. Also speaking from personal experience, my first application cycle, the vet I shadowed and who wrote my letter was a grad from Washington, who donates quite a bit every year to their early admissions program (she went through the program). She wrote me a great letter that emphasized a lot of the qualities in the list that was linked earlier. My application didn't get far in the process before I was rejected and my stats were not far below their averages at the time. Maybe off by .1 or .2 on the GPAs. Didn't get anything from them.

I was an alternate student back in 2008 and didn't get in. Got a straight no after gaining WA residency. Went to school for a year at UI. Was told flat out by 2 admissions committee members that they would now accept me, no matter what was on my app because "now they knew I was fun to have a beer with." I argued about that (principles and what not) and said "so you look at an app based on whether or not you'd hang out with a person?" The answer: "That's mostly it. That's how the game works. You can get in here without any of the pre reqs if someone high enough knows you. It's that way everywhere. There is no use in getting mad about it."
After meeting several of that years accepted students, I moved. I still had one professor call me a year later and say: "I can still get you in as an in state if you want."

It may make me naive, but it still pisses me off. That was all between 2008 and 2010, so maybe it's better several years out. When I was there, they were proud of pumping out more politicians than any other vet school. I've heard that has changed. I wanted to practice medicine, not learn how to drink and cozy up to the right people. I was flat out told that that was what I needed to do to be successful there. I'd rather go to a school that hides it better at least. But again, this was my experience. What I've heard recently says it may have changed. I've even thought about going back. My husband loves it there... it would be hypocritical of me, but if I got to be a vet when I graduate... maybe it doesn't matter.

I should say, I know some great vets from WSU. I also know many students who worked very hard and earned everything they got. But I met way too many who had never taken "a hard science class" in their own words.

I was an alternate student back in 2008 and didn't get in. Got a straight no after gaining WA residency. Went to school for a year at UI. Was told flat out by 2 admissions committee members that they would now accept me, no matter what was on my app because "now they knew I was fun to have a beer with." I argued about that (principles and what not) and said "so you look at an app based on whether or not you'd hang out with a person?" The answer: "That's mostly it. That's how the game works. You can get in here without any of the pre reqs if someone high enough knows you. It's that way everywhere. There is no use in getting mad about it."

I'm calling BS on that. Whoever told you that was either an idiot, or seriously misinformed. Maybe they use to accept some students who had terrible grades because of their connections, but I highly doubt that's common place anymore. And I seriously doubt that they would accept someone with no prerequisites at all based on their connections. They might still like to see connections, but I doubt they're going to look at two students and go, "Student A has a 4.0 and tons of experience and great LOR's. Student B has no experience, terrible LOR's, and a 2.0, but they know people, so let's pick them instead."

Like I said, take it as you will.

The best place to work was the Animal Clinic and Hospital in Moscow, ID. Two of the doctors in their staff pic were techs with me. They offered lots of internships for vet students and new grads. One of the docs there was in charge of the shelter's feral clinics. Some of the doctors that were there moved to clinics closer to Pullman so I know doctors at a few of the clinics up there.

The bars filled up with CSU and UI professors on the Moscow side, so if you want to meet some outside of class...

Again, I'm a couple years gone, so while I get regular updates to the drama, some things slip by without mention ;)

Eh, I wouldn't say Animal Clinic is the best place to work in Moscow. But I'm not biased or anything ;)

My boss used to teach at WSU, and our other doctor is an alum. They've both written letters for plenty of people who haven't been accepted. For what that's worth.

I did say committee members, I swear I did...
I also said it sounds like some of that seems to have changed. The year that made me mad had a significant number of relatives that really weren't doing well their first year of vet school. They might have seen that wake up call as well.
I love my friends there. I do not claim that they got in this way (mostly ;) ).

Is anyone else completing the residency paperwork to apply through WIMU? I am so frustrated. I e-mailed the person I was told to contact with questions, and he basically said that he couldn't help me, because he has to remain totally impartial to review all applications fairly. Which makes sense. But then why is he the person we're told to contact???

I hope you where able to get everything sorted PrincessButtercup! That sounds stressful.

Anyone else all submitted for WSU? I'm getting super excited! Since IS interviews (and OOS too I think?) are so much earlier this year, we'll probably be getting invites before November this year it seems like? Unless they want to be mean and send them a week before so we can all scramble to make arrangements to get to Pullman that is:laugh:

Almost sorted out! Thanks :)

Are you adding any new experiences from this fall? I don't have very many hours yet, and I wasn't sure how long I could wait before adding them to VMCAS - especially with interviews so early.

Oh shoot, I should have left off my spay and neuter clinic volunteer and added it later! I only have 15 hours so far (monthly and I started in June), but will have 20-25 when apps are due... can you edit hours after submission?

Other than that, probably not! That's a good idea though!

I feel like as long as you submit/update your app (if you haven't submitted you app yet, you have a new button with that option afterwards to send changes to schools) by the 15th, they'll probably get them in time :)

I submitted mid-August. Wait, so you can edit after you submit?

Just checked, and you can't edit current experiences (thought not, but oh well!), but you can add new ones, and then select "update my application" so schools see the changes.

Submitting my supplemental for WSU soon! Do you really think we will hear back about interviews that soon? I'm OOS, I don't think we hear back about interviews until Winter? Not entirely sure though...

Their dates/deadlines say:
  • January 25 - 29, 2016 - Non-Resident Interviews (Subject to Change)

In the past, all interviews have been late January and early February, but this year Washington and Idaho are in November and December. I don't know when people usually hear about interviews - I thought it was around Thanksgiving. So we might hear early this year, if they give us more than a week advanced notice.

OOS might still not here till late November/early December since their interviews are in late January, but this year IS are Novemember 30 and Decemeber 1. They've given about two months notice in the past for interviews, so assuming they don't give only a week or two this cycle, it seems like IS would hear late October/early November this year instead of around thanksgiving in the past. Who knows! That's just what I'm hoping based on their past patterns :)

In the past, all interviews have been late January and early February, but this year Washington and Idaho are in November and December. I don't know when people usually hear about interviews - I thought it was around Thanksgiving. So we might hear early this year, if they give us more than a week advanced notice.

Haha, whoops! Princess Buttercup beat me to it.

OOS might still not here till late November/early December since their interviews are in late January, but this year IS are Novemember 30 and Decemeber 1. They've given about two months notice in the past for interviews, so assuming they don't give only a week or two this cycle, it seems like IS would hear late October/early November this year instead of around thanksgiving in the past. Who knows! That's just what I'm hoping based on their past patterns :)

I was about to say, I hope they give us more than a week's notice. lol. I work in a job where I need several weeks notice in order to get the time off, and I assume we all do.

I was about to say, I hope they give us more than a week's notice. lol. I work in a job where I need several weeks notice in order to get the time off, and I assume we all do.

For real!

I visited Pullman and the VTH for the first time this weekend. Absolutely loved it! I've been to Eastern WA a ton, but had never been to Pullman/WSU and it got me even more excited!

I was kind of worried I'd hate the town since I'm from Seattle and use to busy, but I really loved the openness of everything. Hopefully this time next year we'll all be classmates there :)

WSU was not one of the schools I originally had in mind, but as the VMCAS deadline got closer I scrutinized each school's requirements and switched one out for WSU. Except one thing, I didn't see until filling out the supplemental that they want a FOUR hour Ochem (one w/ lab)...my ochem was a single 3hr course, but it still counted it as a fulfilled ochem req upon entry. I hope the credit is either acceptable, or can be on provision of taking an Ochem lab in the spring...otherwise I've wasted $160 :dead:

To answer the essay questions, I had to research more on their SVM since I knew nothing about this school. The campus/area and teaching hospital look so nice! I like that they have programs in things like camelids.

WSU was not one of the schools I originally had in mind, but as the VMCAS deadline got closer I scrutinized each school's requirements and switched one out for WSU. Except one thing, I didn't see until filling out the supplemental that they want a FOUR hour Ochem (one w/ lab)...my ochem was a single 3hr course, but it still counted it as a fulfilled ochem req upon entry. I hope the credit is either acceptable, or can be on provision of taking an Ochem lab in the spring...otherwise I've wasted $160 :dead:

To answer the essay questions, I had to research more on their SVM since I knew nothing about this school. The campus/area and teaching hospital look so nice! I like that they have programs in things like camelids.
You can always send them your syllabus to make sure. I have had to do that for a couple schools.

The four credit course through WSU includes a lab, and you don't need to have all courses completed when applying, so it should be fine to take the lab in the spring. Just make sure to list it on your prerequisites page for their supplemental so they know you plan to take it. I'd email admissions too just to be sure! They've always been super quick with their responses when I've emailed them.

Did anyone else's supplemental application account disappear? I submitted the supplemental a few weeks ago and I tried to sign in a moment ago and now my account isn't there.

Did anyone else's supplemental application account disappear? I submitted the supplemental a few weeks ago and I tried to sign in a moment ago and now my account isn't there.

I just checked, and mine is still there. Did you close your browser and open it again? That's the only technical help I'm good for.

You can always send them your syllabus to make sure. I have had to do that for a couple schools.
The four credit course through WSU includes a lab, and you don't need to have all courses completed when applying, so it should be fine to take the lab in the spring. Just make sure to list it on your prerequisites page for their supplemental so they know you plan to take it. I'd email admissions too just to be sure! They've always been super quick with their responses when I've emailed them.
My 3hr course did not include a lab, so unless they are otherwise okay with it as an equivalent I may have to register for a lab for spring. I already submitted the supplemental yesterday though so I can't add that as a "planned" course now, argh! I do have one in-progress course (for one of my bio credits). I don't have the old Ochem syllabus on my computer but I'm going home this weekend and can probably find it.

I just checked as well, and I can get into my account just fine.

OOS applicant applying for the first time! :) The waiting game now that applications are in is tough!