Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Have heard back from 20 out of 25 schools so was just curious if they took a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am guessing they screen in some way. This may be why it takes them longer. I am not sure what they do. My CARS was 123, so I guess its not a sub-section score.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if they will be calling for acceptances this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Shamelessly dug through last year's application cycle at SDN and they had a wave of post interview rejections via email on the equivalent of this coming Wednesday. If you didn't get the email then check your banweb decision status for "institutional acceptance" and it's very likely your acceptance call from Dr. Pham is on the way.

Of course, this is all speculation from an antsy premed. Take with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Shamelessly dug through last year's application cycle at SDN and they had a wave of post interview rejections via email on the equivalent of this coming Wednesday. If you didn't get the email then check your banweb decision status for "institutional acceptance" and it's very likely your acceptance call from Dr. Pham is on the way.

Of course, this is all speculation from an antsy premed. Take with a grain of salt.

I did the same but missed the post rejection part.

Can any current students expand on the curriculum? Does the gross anatomy go through each system in the two years? I see it is offered just first semester of first year on the course catalog.
I am a first year at the Lebanon campus, we start out with a gross anatomy class, split into 4 sections: back and upper limb, thorax and abdomen, pelvis and lower limb, and finishing with head and neck. We are in group of 6 students to one cadaver. We will finish on 10/24, then move onto basic sciences, etc. but I believe that later on we will return to the cadavers when we go through certain systems. Hope that helps.

Yep, still radio silence.

Check your portals :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten an official email or call, but according to the portal I was ACCEPTED!!!! Oh my god I hope this isn't a sick mistake! I AM SO THRILLED!!! I LOVED this school!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to you all! I've still got my fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got the phone call. It's official~

Shows "Institution Acceptance" on my portal. Just no phone call yet. So excited!!! Congrats to those that have gotten in already. Maybe I'll see you next fall :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got the official call about an hour ago too!!! Seriously so far beyond excited and happy right now!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone tried to set up their email accounts yet? I got in to mine and it said I have to call IT to fully set it up...

Also I imagine the October interview is coming up relatively soon. Good luck to everyone!

Is there not a pizza social the day before interviews this year?

Is anyone able to open the banapp portal? It seems to be down.

II for oct 22.
There is a pizza social the night before. Does anyone know if I can bring my wife or is it only for students being interviewed?

Hello all,
My application was complete the first week of August and I have a LizzyM ~73 with a couple years experience in healthcare and decent volunteer experience. Yet, I still haven't heard anything from the school...No II and no rejection. Does this school give preference to in-state/regional students?

I did post in PNWU vs Western U comp but I figured I would reach more people here. What is the opinion from students as to which is better?

I did post in PNWU vs Western U comp but I figured I would reach more people here. What is the opinion from students as to which is better?

If it matters I turned down my PNWU interview once I had the acceptance from here.

Smaller class size
Established curriculum (from Pomona)
Rural emphasis
Not a big fan of Yakima
Good military medicine advisors

I'm pretty sure board pass rate and residency match is better.

Just a view from a fellow potential classmate.

From my personal ranking of schools I applied this cycle I put Western U higher than PNWU just based off numbers I found through online searches. Post-interview from Western U, I have to say that I really like the vibe of the school/community/people I met there.

I'm also thinking about letting go of my PNWU interview, but haven't done so yet.

I just got a weird vibe from PNWU (interviewed last cycle). Can't explain it but my instincts have never led me astray.

II for oct 22.
There is a pizza social the night before. Does anyone know if I can bring my wife or is it only for students being interviewed?
I took my husband (at that time he was my fiance) last year when I interviewed, but email Jeannie Davis just to make sure.
It is nice to have your significant other there, so they can be involved. :)

can anyone (current med students or someone that has itnerviewed) comment on what the curriculum and atmosphere is like? are the majority of classes still live streamed from the pomona campus..? and what is the feel like in terms of the rural community? are you happy living in a small town and are tehre things to do?

also did they give any info on board scores?

Probably going to give up my acceptance here anyway. This was my number 2 choice so best of luck everyone.

can anyone (current med students or someone that has itnerviewed) comment on what the curriculum and atmosphere is like? are the majority of classes still live streamed from the pomona campus..? and what is the feel like in terms of the rural community? are you happy living in a small town and are tehre things to do?

also did they give any info on board scores?

Hey, second year here. The curriculum is systems-based, starting out with anatomy and then biochem, infectious disease, blood and lymph, etc (currently in renal now). I would say we have more classes streamed from Pomona, but our professors in Pomona are pretty accessible. We have plenty of faculty up here who also teach and stream down to Pomona. We also have OMM and ECM every week. In ECM we have standardized patient encounters and apply what we learn in systems to a clinical setting.

Our class is VERY cohesive and tight-knit. It's a beautiful thing. Lebanon is slowly growing- we just got a coffee shop that's open past 5 pm (woo) and cooler places like Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis aren't too far away- I'm able to go home to Portland about once a month. Honestly, you might just spend all your time at school and not ever notice that you're in a town at all. The area in general is great if you like local produce and/or hiking and/or waterfalls and/or beautiful sunsets.

If you have more questions, feel free to pm me (so it notifies me via email)-I just happened to randomly check this site. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
If you interview here, are you being considered for both the pomona and lebanon campus?

If you interview here, are you being considered for both the pomona and lebanon campus?
Fairly certain you'll only be considered for this campus, since you have to submit two separate applications for each campus, I'm assuming they each have their own admissions committee and process as well.

Fairly certain you'll only be considered for this campus, since you have to submit two separate applications for each campus, I'm assuming they each have their own admissions committee and process as well.

True true but maybe i was thinking of similarly to kcu and its 2 campuses

True true but maybe i was thinking of similarly to kcu and its 2 campuses
Makes sense! For KCU there is the new campus opening up, but as far as I recall you just apply to KCU and then select a campus preference. I'm sure in the coming years it'll separate out like WesternU and LECOM campuses.

Makes sense! For KCU there is the new campus opening up, but as far as I recall you just apply to KCU and then select a campus preference. I'm sure in the coming years it'll separate out like WesternU and LECOM campuses.

Well i kinda hope each campus had its own interview process - that way you have 2 interviews and 2 times to get possibly accepted. Thats how i look at it