2009-2010 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone (people who are wailisted) get the fiancial aid email today?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, they only sent that out to people that already know they are waitlisted? I got it as well, but don't know my status post-interview.

Or probably they just sent it out to everyone that hasn't completed it yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, they only sent that out to people that already know they are waitlisted? I got it as well, but don't know my status post-interview.

Or probably they just sent it out to everyone that hasn't completed it yet?

They sent it to everyone still under consideration, this basically means anyone who has not received a rejection YET - waitlist, accept, or still in review.

For those who interviewed in February, we hear on or by the 19th? Do you know if it's by e-mail or snail mail?

For those who interviewed in February, we hear on or by the 19th? Do you know if it's by e-mail or snail mail?
think its on, should be e-mail. im pretty nervous myself.. i really want to go here!

I am really nervous about this one, just because I think I would be actually really crushed if they reject me, and slightly less sad if they waitlist me. This has been my first choice school for months now. Is their median MCAT score really a 36? O.O

yes, but trying not to get my hopes up too high...so many disappointing responses in the past few weeks. but I absolutely loved Brown! Someone above thought they would change the status after noon? or do they send out e-mails first?

yes, but trying not to get my hopes up too high...so many disappointing responses in the past few weeks. but I absolutely loved Brown! Someone above thought they would change the status after noon? or do they send out e-mails first?

Your status changes first, then you get an email not much longer after.

marchmadness-
I am feeling the same thing. I have been waitlisted at so many schools. and I LOVED brown so I am really trying not to get my hopes up for an outright acceptance, but I have never wanted one this badly after any of my interviews.

Infinitydrop-
I know! This process can be brutal. I'm excited for tomorrow but also dreading it. I don't know how many more waitlists I can take!

:luck: Good luck to those who are hearing tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone who is waiting to find out!!!

any word on a Brown Med Class of 2014 Facebook group for those planning on attending brown alpert med this fall? im looking forward to meeting potential future classmates!

Hey everyone! Good luck tomorrow! I went ahead and make a facebook group for accepted students to join. We can all get to know one another way before classes start. Just got to facebook and search 'Brown University Alpert Medical School Class of 2014' or go to the following link...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=389124449816

P.S. The group is closed, so don't worry about other schools seeing that you joined the group. Hopefully a few more of you will be joining come afternoon tomorrow :thumbup:

Last edited:
Decisions are up... waitlisted.................................

I just don't understand. I really loved the school, I thought I was a pretty good fit for what they were going for, I thought my interviews went great, but this is the fourth school I've been waitlisted at in four interviews. I still have to hear back from one more school I interviewed at but this is driving me crazy...

waitlisted as well. This sucks. I thought I would be a good fit for the school, and was even told that I would fit well there.

waitlisted as well. This sucks. I thought I would be a good fit for the school, and was even told that I would fit well there.

Waitlisted too. We have to remind ourselves that there are ridiculously few spots in the class for regular entrance though and who knows, there could be WL movement :luck:

Waitlisted too. We have to remind ourselves that there are ridiculously few spots in the class for regular entrance though and who knows, there could be WL movement :luck:

don't worry TOO much. there DEFINITELY is wait list movement. if you go the FAQs page on their site, remember it says that last year they offered acceptances to nearly half of all interviewees. So keep showing interest :)

don't worry TOO much. there DEFINITELY is wait list movement. if you go the FAQs page on their site, remember it says that last year they offered acceptances to nearly half of all interviewees. So keep showing interest :)

I remember reading that too, but during my interview day, they mentioned that last year they accepted 8 people off the waiting list, which doesn't seem too much compared to how many they've wait listed.

congrats to those who were accepted. looks like the wait list is continuing to grow pretty large. does anyone know if there have been rejections post interview? or for that matter, has there been anyone who has been accepted where they were originally on the wait list?

When is 2nd look? Wondering when there will be WL movement...

2nd look will be April 30th-May 1st. It's pretty darn close to the May 15th deadline. If you're waitlisted, movement might not occur until a little after May 15th

HUGE bump. Has there been any waitlist movement? I'm guessing not until the end of the month when second visit happens, but just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

HUGE bump. Has there been any waitlist movement? I'm guessing not until the end of the month when second visit happens, but just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

when i contacted my interviewer at the beginning of the month, she said there hadn't been any movement yet.

when i contacted my interviewer at the beginning of the month, she said there hadn't been any movement yet.

Does anyone know how many people usually get off the waitlist? or how many are accepted initially? I'm assuming everyone who was interviewed who wasn't initially accepted was waitlisted.

I got my financial aid award today. Just found out via email at 5:38PM. Logged in online and was happy with what I found :D:D:D

Oh wow... are financial aid award letters out now for everyone? Exciting!

You found that online... so these letters won't be mailed as a hard copy? That's okay as long as we can see it online I guess!

Just checked my financial aid status and my award still isn't available. Out of curiosity when was your file complete?

I was able to access my award via selfservice.brown.edu (I'm very, very happy with my package!). I received an e-mail saying that a hardcopy of the financial aid award is on its way.

I received confirmation that my application for aid was complete on 3/10.

For those of you with acceptances, have they given you a deadline as to when you have to commit by?

Anyone, who have an acceptance not going, or not sure?

Gives us waitlisted folk something to fret about ;)

i think that we have until May 15th. I'm having a really tough time deciding. I like Brown but there is a significant cost difference between it and one of my other choices. Even though I would prefer to attend Brown I'm having difficulty quantifying that preference in terms of $$$.

Yep medical school education is definitely alot of $$$... alot to think about in the coming 2 weeks for alot of us!

Does anyone know how much being on the wait list can hurt financial aid received after coming off the list? I'm wondering how much more to consider Brown over my state school and whether they'd still give out a decent package to those accepted off of the wait list.

Does anyone know what the dress is for Second Look this weekend? I know some schools are informal but others are casual?

I think somewhere between business casual and casual would be appropriate.

Also, it's going to be 74º in Providence tomorrow (and 80º on Saturday!) so take that into consideration as well.

See you at Second Look!

How was 2nd look? Are most people that attended set on attending Brown?

Withdrew my application, but still ever true to Brown. :) Goodluck to the waiting for waitlist movement!

Last day..before those lucky enough to have acceptance have to decide!! Lets hope there is some movement. Anybody heard of any movement off the waitlist thus far??

just curious if anyone received the admissions office merit scholarships from brown? and if so, are you matriculating?

Yes, yes. Why do you ask?

thanks for responding! i'm mainly asking b/c i feel the people who receive these awesome merit scholarships probably have other amazing choices for medical school...and I wonder whether people turn down scholarship money to go to better/higher-ranked/close-to-home/whatever other schools! congrats to you :)

i just realized that I haven't kept up with this thread at all...just read the last several posts about wait lists. should have posted this earlier, but i was lucky enough to be accepted off the wait list some time back :) Did not do anything special - no letters of intent. the school felt like such a fantastic fit when I interviewed and I'm so grateful the admissions committee feels that way now too!

thanks for responding! i'm mainly asking b/c i feel the people who receive these awesome merit scholarships probably have other amazing choices for medical school...and I wonder whether people turn down scholarship money to go to better/higher-ranked/close-to-home/whatever other schools! congrats to you :)

well i had a few other good choices, northwestern being my top choice. but i really loved brown when i went (ranking isn't exactly shabby), it was closer to home, and the money offered just put it over the edge. northwestern would have been hundreds of thousands more. brown is also very receptive to financial aid negotiations and stuff. it ended up being cheaper than my state school...so it was hard to turn down.

Congrats on the scholarship neurogirl! I agree with you that Brown is very receptive to finaid situations. I was recently awarded a merit scholarship as well, which pushed me over the edge towards choosing Brown. I guess I'll see you in August :)

Anybody turn down their Brown acceptance recently? Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist for this Fall? I'm hoping for waitlist movement!

Status
Not open for further replies.