2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting theory. I don't suppose that it is based upon any facts or knowledge, but merely speculation, which is all we have to go on.

Let's speculate, then. If you were an adcom at Oakland, who would you skip?

Let's take the high end applicant. He has a 36 MCAT and a 3.9 from an Ivy League with excellent EC's and published research. He has no association with Michigan or Oakland university. If you were an adcom, would you waste your time interviewing this guy? He obviously applied to Oakland as a safety school, just in case. Conversely, would you interview him and, if he had good presentation skills, would you offer him some incredible financial deal in order to raise your school's first year stats?

But.... what if you have 100 of these applicants (which is likely). You know that some of them might attend, but 90 of them won't. You want the 10 applicants for stat reasons but you don't want to waste your time interviewing all 100.

The best way might be to not offer interviews to them until December. At that point, more preferred schools have made offers and the ones who are not serious about Oakland would withdraw.

This is speculation, but it might be a good explanation for the slowness of their interview invites.

That sounds entirely plausible.

What other schools have you gotten into so far?

Wayne State, MSU and the University of Rochester (NY). I was waitlisted at Case though; an acceptance there would likely have led to many withdrawals, but I certainly can't complain.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed Friday.. Awesome school. Definitely at the Top of my list.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed Friday.. Awesome school. Definitely at the Top of my list.. :)

I was there Friday as well and I definitely agree. I was way more impressed with the school than I thought I'd be!

What is an acceptable gpa mcat combo for an interview/acceptance Oakland? I'm afraid mine isn't good enough (extracurrics are solid).

My application was submitted mid-September. When should I start worrying that I'm not going to get an interview?

What is an acceptable gpa mcat combo for an interview/acceptance Oakland? I'm afraid mine isn't good enough (extracurrics are solid).

My application was submitted mid-September. When should I start worrying that I'm not going to get an interview?

I'm not sure what an "acceptable" gpa/mcat combo is but I got an interview with a 27Q and a 3.71. I wouldn't lose all hope yet. :)

I'm not sure what an "acceptable" gpa/mcat combo is but I got an interview with a 27Q and a 3.71. I wouldn't lose all hope yet. :)

That's awesome, well mine is a 32 and a 3.26. So, I'm not sure if my gpa is good enough. How long after the secondary would you expect an interview? Mine has been about 6 weeks.

got my interview invite today, scheduled for Jan 7, I was complete early August

That's awesome, well mine is a 32 and a 3.26. So, I'm not sure if my gpa is good enough. How long after the secondary would you expect an interview? Mine has been about 6 weeks.

My app was submitted on 8/11 and I received the invite on 09/29. So, it was about 6 weeks or so.

Interview invite

OOS
Submitted: 8/20
Invite: 11/10

Members don't see this ad :)
For all invited people and accepted people, can you give an MCAT/GPA combo? if you dont want to reveal much, do a range. like 27-30 MCAT 3.6-3.9 GPA and so on. This is certainly an interesting school. The campus is in a really nice area, and then there is the affiliation with beaumont hospitals. I have taken some summer classes there and they have a high level of education there. Thanks.

For all invited people and accepted people, can you give an MCAT/GPA combo? if you dont want to reveal much, do a range. like 27-30 MCAT 3.6-3.9 GPA and so on. This is certainly an interesting school. The campus is in a really nice area, and then there is the affiliation with beaumont hospitals. I have taken some summer classes there and they have a high level of education there. Thanks.

I submitted my secondary on Aug 17 and received an interview about two weeks later. I was offered an acceptance during the first round of invites.

My GPA is 3.85 and MCAT 32. Also, I have nearly 4000 hours of clinical work experience and about 1.5 years of chemical research.

Good luck on getting into this school, it is destined for greatness!

secondary complete late sep, 3.5/33, interview invite late oct

I was complete at the end of Aug (I can't remember the exact day) and received an interview invite 9/12. My BCPM GPAs are 3.73 for undergrad and 4.0 for grad school. My MCAT was on the lower end of their requirements.

i was accepted with a 3.9+ gpa and a mid 30's mcat, the school was really amazing and so much better than anything I could of expected.

Thanks to everyone who replied with gpa/MCAT combo
It seems from the invites and the acceptances that they are shooting for the magical 30, the range seems to be 27-33 MCAT and >3.5 GPA.
Good luck to everyone. For those accepted, congratulations, you were the best one out of 6 people who interviewed!

Just submitted my application yesterday... I hope it's not too late.

For those who interviewed, are there any financial perks to Oakland?

There is a required 3 year capstone research project. The staff noted that scholarships would be given to students whose capstone research was significant. This scholarship would pay for the entire 4th year.

But so far, only two students from 2015 class would be eligible; they are looking to raise this number.

There is a required 3 year capstone research project. The staff noted that scholarships would be given to students whose capstone research was significant. This scholarship would pay for the entire 4th year.

But so far, only two students from 2015 class would be eligible; they are looking to raise this number.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the second set of acceptances have gone out yet?

They said they were going to be ultra slow in handing out acceptances, so i don't think there have been any more since the first ones. Unless someone isn't speaking up.

i heard the week of November 15th. I don't remember the exact day. I was really surprised, but I guess that means there still handing out a few. Good Luck, its a great program :luck:

for those who were accepted, when did you interview?

End of October

I was there the same day as you so I really hope they didn't skip over me! I think most places don't know what to do with me because of my MCAT score...:/

I am right there with you metagirl. I interviewed on the 29th of October, and I hope they didn't pass over me.

TJchamp: What are your stats?

I am right there with you metagirl. I interviewed on the 29th of October, and I hope they didn't pass over me.

TJchamp: What are your stats?
Not beastly.. high 20s and around 3.5.. Have great ECs though

Last edited:
Accepted Nov. 17th as well! Interviewed Oct. 29th too. Is there a facebook group/ thread for OUWB Class of 2015 yet?

Hey for people who are from OOS or people who know the area well, how did you guys get from the airport (DTW) to the school/Rochester? Or did you guys go from Flint? And where did you guys stay?
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Hmm... It seems like the Oct 29 interviewees were accepted on Nov 17. :/
I hope more acceptances are on the way; this school is definitely my top choice.

Has anyone been placed on the waitlist yet?
It seems like that's where I'll end up so I'll probably send them an update/letter of interest in a few weeks.

just wondering but for the people accepted are you from MI or OOS?

It is clear that Oakland is not accepting students the same way other schools do since they are new and don't know who they will get later in the application cycle. We will all just need to be patient. I don't think they are accepting people in order of their interviews. My guess is they are giving out only a handful of interviews every 2 weeks or so and are just accepting the people they are 100% sure they want. If you weren't accepted yet, it doesn't mean you are out of the running (unless of course you got a rejection letter, but there hasn't seem to be any yet since no one has posted it here) - I think it just means that maybe you aren't their first choice but maybe you are their second and once they interview more applicants you will be accepted. They have been interviewing for 2 1/2 months but only accepted a few people, so I wouldn't be worried yet - they are just taking their time like they said they would.

It is clear that Oakland is not accepting students the same way other schools do since they are new and don't know who they will get later in the application cycle. We will all just need to be patient. I don't think they are accepting people in order of their interviews. My guess is they are giving out only a handful of interviews every 2 weeks or so and are just accepting the people they are 100% sure they want. If you weren't accepted yet, it doesn't mean you are out of the running (unless of course you got a rejection letter, but there hasn't seem to be any yet since no one has posted it here) - I think it just means that maybe you aren't their first choice but maybe you are their second and once they interview more applicants you will be accepted. They have been interviewing for 2 1/2 months but only accepted a few people, so I wouldn't be worried yet - they are just taking their time like they said they would.

Yeah, this is true. They told us at their applicant visit day that since they are in prelim accreditation and their first class is going to be 50 students, that they will only ever have 50 acceptances out there at a time (I guess they get in trouble with the licensing board if they have more than 50 accepted students end up going there?). So I'm sure they are taking their time handing them out in the first place, and that once they reach 50 they won't give out more until they have some people decline their offers.

if you were accepted do you plan on matriculating at Oakland in the fall?

Lots of people have posted the date they were marked complete. Did this come via email, status webpage, or is everyone simply when they sent their application? I submitted my application at the end of september, and I haven't heard anything about being marked complete. :shrug:

Lots of people have posted the date they were marked complete. Did this come via email, status webpage, or is everyone simply when they sent their application? I submitted my application at the end of september, and I haven't heard anything about being marked complete. :shrug:

There will be green checks by everything on your portal screen. Did you check that?

There will be green checks by everything on your portal screen. Did you check that?

So the date that the last check appeared was the day that I was complete? Probably should have wrote down the day that I first noticed the check next to letters... Thanks, and good to know!

So the date that the last check appeared was the day that I was complete? Probably should have wrote down the day that I first noticed the check next to letters... Thanks, and good to know!

Yes, that is the day they received all of your documents and your file was complete. Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.