2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case, then it sounds like the AdCom has changed how they do things a bit.

Either A. They decided to change things up this season from the beginning and misled the groups that interviewed early (They told us only a few people got accepted from each interview, not 50-60%)

Or B. They changed it up in the middle of the season after the first couple interviews. Meaning that those early people had a 10-20% chance of being accepted, while later interview groups had a 50-60% change of being accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to relax a bit. They accept a couple people from each interview group and then review everyone at a later date to make it more fair for people who interview late. This seems pretty fair and they made it pretty transparent in their interview day, there would be absolutely no reason for them to "lie" so take it easy guys. They said they accept 70% of students interviewed so if you are truly interested in UF, wait it out.

Or call admissions and ask if you have questions instead of posting rumors and confusing/misleading everyone else on this forum.

I have had a bunch of interviews and UF is the only school that I felt was 100% honest and truly cared about each applicant they interviewed. They definitely treated each interviewee with respect, which starts to paint a picture of how well they will treat you as a medical student there. If your "on hold" status clouds your judgment I think that is a shame, you need to remember 70% of students are accepted. That is a huge number.

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. They accept a couple people from each interview group and then review everyone at a later date to make it more fair for people who interview late. This seems pretty fair and they made it pretty transparent in their interview day, there would be absolutely no reason for them to "lie" so take it easy guys. They said they accept 70% of students interviewed so if you are truly interested in UF, wait it out.

Or call admissions and ask if you have questions instead of posting rumors and confusing/misleading everyone else on this forum.

I have had a bunch of interviews and UF is the only school that I felt was 100% honest and truly cared about each applicant they interviewed. They definitely treated each interviewee with respect, which starts to paint a picture of how well they will treat you as a medical student there. If your "on hold" status clouds your judgment I think that is a shame, you need to remember 70% of students are accepted. That is a huge number.

Which is why they have the lowest student satisfaction rating in the country?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have not posted rumors. I verified the information I posted (about On-Hold applicants being moved to Waitlist) directly with the ADCOM of UF. My A, B options are logical arguments based on what I have inferred from the information I have gathered.

It is fine if you disagree with my arguments. I am not naive enough to make the assumption that I am always right. Feel free to refute my argument with one of your own. Just please do not falsely and without evidence state I am "posting rumors and confusing/misleading everyone else on this forum."

Furthermore, there is a huge difference from "we accept 10-15% post interview" and "we accept 50-60% post-interview." Both of which has been stated in this season by UF ADCOM members. For instance, the difference from 55-60% of people being pulled off the On-Hold/Wait list and only 10-20% being pulled off.

Also, Amen Beta :laugh:.

I interviewed in early September and they told us that they would be accepting 10-12 applicants out of the 20. I also had numerous friends interview around the same time as me and heard the same response. Most of my friends that interviewed early at UF, including myself, did get the initial acceptance. So I'm pretty sure they kept true to their word...at least with me.

I have not posted rumors. I verified the information I posted (about On-Hold applicants being moved to Waitlist) directly with the ADCOM of UF. My A, B options are logical arguments based on what I have inferred from the information I have gathered.

It is fine if you disagree with my arguments. I am not naive enough to make the assumption that I am always right. Feel free to refute my argument with one of your own. Just please do not falsely and without evidence state I am "posting rumors and confusing/misleading everyone else on this forum."

Furthermore, there is a huge difference from "we accept 10-15% post interview" and "we accept 50-60% post-interview." Both of which has been stated in this season by UF ADCOM members. For instance, the difference from 55-60% of people being pulled off the On-Hold/Wait list and only 10-20% being pulled off.

Ok then I am sorry for misinterpreting... can you please send me the link where you found the information about UF having the lowest student satisfaction? I am interested in reading more about this and I was unable to find anything through google.

Thanks ahead of time

Ok. here is what I have gathered, and seen as my friends and I have interviewed there.

UF begins the year accepting 50 to 60 % of the interviewees. so 10 - 12 of a 20 person group.
this is early in the season with the students who got their stuff in early and probably are more highly qualified.

as they begin to fill spots, they accept less and less from each group.

their goal in this is to never have an interview group come in who are just interviewing for a spot on the waiting list.

that could mean that there are only 5 spots left when that last group comes in, but there also may be 40.

at that point. when they have interviewed the last group.
they take a look at the hold list. they may accept some people outright to any vacated or empty spots right when they finish the last interview groups comittee meeting.

after that its just the waitlist, and business as usual.

but thats my understanding.

-AJ

Ok. here is what I have gathered, and seen as my friends and I have interviewed there.

UF begins the year accepting 50 to 60 % of the interviewees. so 10 - 12 of a 20 person group.
this is early in the season with the students who got their stuff in early and probably are more highly qualified.

as they begin to fill spots, they accept less and less from each group.

their goal in this is to never have an interview group come in who are just interviewing for a spot on the waiting list.

that could mean that there are only 5 spots left when that last group comes in, but there also may be 40.

at that point. when they have interviewed the last group.
they take a look at the hold list. they may accept some people outright to any vacated or empty spots right when they finish the last interview groups comittee meeting.

after that its just the waitlist, and business as usual.

but thats my understanding.

-AJ

Yeah - this is hugely different from the way it has been done in the past.

Yeah - this is hugely different from the way it has been done in the past.

This is what they led me to beleive.

and I never have gotten the impression students were unhappy there from anyone ive ever talked to. Including students who are there now that i went to school with.

from what ive heard students LOVE UF

plus they switched to pass fail, which always helps with the student satisfaction.

In my (limited) observations, it seems like each class has its own attitude and vibe towards the school. For example, when I interviewed last year, I asked a then fourth year his least favorite thing about UF. He turned to me, glared into my soul from the depths of an abyss, and said, "The first four years."

On the other hand, I don't know of anybody in my class or second year with this attitude. Of course, maybe we're just not jaded yet. Who knows? What I do know that first years are doing neuro right now, and between the professors and teaching assistants, the instructor to student ratio is probably around 1:5. Also, the TAs spend as much time in the lab as the students. What's not to like?

Which is why they have the lowest student satisfaction rating in the country?

I'm 100% satisfied that I chose UF. It might be due to the switch to P/F, but my class doesn't seem to have the "gunner" attitude that UF was notorious for. We help each other out, and we're all generally happy people. I'm sure if you polled our class it would be much higher. I'm glad you aren't applying to/didn't get an interview at UF because you are quite clearly a Negative Nancy.

The classes are taught to step I which is reflected in our board scores. Some former students may complain, but they seem to match into pretty good specialties.

PS. Go away.

I'm 100% satisfied that I chose UF. It might be due to the switch to P/F, but my class doesn't seem to have the "gunner" attitude that UF was notorious for. We help each other out, and we're all generally happy people. I'm sure if you polled our class it would be much higher. I'm glad you aren't applying to/didn't get an interview at UF because you are quite clearly a Negative Nancy.

The classes are taught to step I which is reflected in our board scores. Some former students may complain, but they seem to match into pretty good specialties.

PS. Go away.

I missed you, babe. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

PS. Go away.

I'm a UF undergraduate but I didn't even bother applying to UF for various reasons. Namely people like you. You can check my mdapps profile (found below my username) and check out the interviews/acceptances I have been given so far. I'm not interviewing at UF by choice.

I'm a UF undergraduate but I didn't even bother applying to UF for various reasons. Namely people like you. You can check my mdapps profile (found below my username) and check out the interviews/acceptances I have been given so far. I'm not interviewing at UF by choice.

And yet you still keep coming back to the UF thread..... Anyway, if/when you should get an interview in Baltimore, keep your head down. Seriously. Dangerous city.

Anyway, our class is very tight, we are very friendly with each other and try to help each other understand complicated material. The class averages for board scores have been very good in recent memory, the professors really care about you learning the material, and we manage to have a great time outside of class and studying too. If you decide to choose another medical school, there's nothing wrong with that, but you honestly can't go wrong with choosing UF. Since the interview season is on it's downward slope now, I'm sure that some of you all will have questions regarding the school or decisions to make. Feel free to PM me anytime, and I can try to answer them (or at least steer you in the right direction!)

I am an FSU undergrad and Tallahassee native, so I have always been exposed to a negative view of UF and its "gunner" mentality. However, with that said I did not notice anything of the sort when I saw the UF COM. Everyone seemed genuinely interested in the school and the students seemed really close and chill. I am sure there are some unhappy and jaded folks their along with everywhere else. On that note, you will be one less jaded individual at UF and may be one more jaded individual for BU or another great institution to handle. Best of luck to you, you have made your point, now move on! :D

I am an FSU undergrad and Tallahassee native, so I have always been exposed to a negative view of UF and its "gunner" mentality. However, with that said I did not notice anything of the sort when I saw the UF COM. Everyone seemed genuinely interested in the school and the students seemed really close and chill. I am sure there are some unhappy and jaded folks their along with everywhere else. On that note, you will be one less jaded individual at UF and may be one more jaded individual for BU or another great institution to handle. Best of luck to you, you have made your point, now move on! :D

I spoke at length with a second year the other night, and she told me how last year (before P/F implementation) the class attitude was completely different. Everyone was in direct competition. There was withholding of useful outside information, anti-social behavior, etc. Honestly, this is what it is like at most schools using a 4 point grading system for the first two years (at least that is what I gather from friends at other schools). This mentality makes sense if one is aiming for a competitive residency because place in the class matters. Now that P/F is in place she said it's like being in a new class. Everyone is less stressed, the environment is more conducive to learning, and the class as a whole gets along better. We started out with this mentality, and I believe the class of 2015 will start out with this mentality. Learning is so much easier when not worrying about getting that 1 extra point to beat 134 other students.

But seriously, beta, we get it. You're too good for UF yadda yadda.

Look man, we get it. You were bitter and proceeded to make an ass of yourself. Good luck in med school. There will be an infinite number of opportunities for you to make an ass of yourself then. And I hope you avail them!

Look man, we get it. You were bitter and proceeded to make an ass of yourself. Good luck in med school. There will be an infinite number of opportunities for you to make an ass of yourself then. And I hope you avail them!

I would like to second this :)

is it unusual to not hear anything in regards to an interview..or well....anything? I haven't heard a word from UF since October when I submitted my secondary...

I quoted a statistic and provided anecdotal evidence for why I was not interviewing. This makes me an ass? It seems to me that it makes you close-minded. Go take a look at other school's threads; none of them seem to have this level of discourse. It's you who seems to have availed yourself of all the opportunities to be a jerk in medical school. I hope that attitude does not continue forward in your career.

Good luck to you in residency. Hopefully you don't have to enter the match twice (a similar experience to medical school applications for you), buddy.

Dude, just let it rest man. Go to another thread.

enough already, the immaturity of some of the posts here is shameful to a group of people that are supposed to be dedicated to the betterment of others...I would like to suggest that from now on everyone ceases to acknowledge any negative post made by Beta or anyone else on this thread.

I would also like to add that I was just accepted into UF this Wednesday and look forward to seeing you all this August! :smuggrin:

enough already, the immaturity of some of the posts here is shameful to a group of people that are supposed to be dedicated to the betterment of others...I would like to suggest that from now on everyone ceases to acknowledge any negative post made by Beta or anyone else on this thread.

I would also like to add that I was just accepted into UF this Wednesday and look forward to seeing you all this August! :smuggrin:

I agree, I said what I needed to say. I apologize for any ill the comments may have inspired.

Congrats classmate! So excited for you!

Congrats Forat2!!! See you this August!!!

Was asked for fall grades two weeks back and still no word. I'm not sure what this means.

Yeah me neither but maybe they realize the only grades I have left to give are for thesis and don't get that til spring. So its useless to send me that email. But that's interesting.

I wish we could send pre interview updates but both them and USF are not allowing for such. So lame.

Not accepting pre-interview updates is actually inefficient on the school's part because in the Spring, they may be sending out invites to people who have already gotten into their top choice/not interested in UF. Those people may just take the invites anyway. Accepting updates allows schools to know who is still interested in their school and the ADCOM can send out invites accordingly. I really wish UF would take my updates but all we can do is wait...:(

That is very interesting that they are asking for your fall grades pre-interview. My assumption is that means they are interested but that they are concerned you may have an inconstancy in your performance grade-wise from semester to semester. I have heard of schools post-interview conditionally accepting students with the understanding that they must make straight A's that semester to get it.

Congrats. Since Beta deleted his amusing post - I won't respond to it.

You'll have fun next year. This whole pass/fail thing really does make life less stressful for everybody and definitely does leave room to pursue other interests.

Last edited:

Welcome to the family!

Can't wait to orient you guys in August (orientation is essentially 5 days of partying).

This one's mostly for the UF med students in this thread but anyone can feel free to chime in.

I'm interviewing here soon and am just curious, other than the pass/fail deal I've heard so much about, what ultimately drove your decision to pick UF COM. What makes it special, in your opinion? I can do all the research I want online but would love to hear it from those who actually go there or have visited and are choosing to. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this question is redundant...I am a bit new and haven't read every post; please feel free to refer me to a specific spot in this thread if that is the case.

I didn't have a lot of options, but my decision was between UF or FSU, and several things swayed my decision towards UF.

First, I was never really sold on how FSU does their third and fourth year rotations. In case you're unfamiliar, students enter a lottery and choose a satellite campus based on the number they were assigned in the lottery. To me, the only appealing sattellite location was Orlando, so this scared me.

Secondly, as much as people like to say it doesn't matter, a school's reputation does matter. Ideally, I would like to do a residency in a major metropolitan area, and those spots are generally more competitive. While on the FSU second look, a fourth year remarked that, on one residency interview in the northeast, his interviewer was unaware FSU had a med school.

I don't bring this up to say FSU isn't a good school. It's an excellent school, and I'm sure I would have gotten an excellent education had I gone there. However, I felt that UF had more to offer in the way of opening doors. Ultimately, it is just the most well established school in Florida, and that does come with advantages. Only UM can compare in this regard.

Also, one quoted statistic stuck with me that I heard on my interview. The average UF student scores in the 80th percentile (230 if I remember correctly) on the step one. According to residency directors, this one score is the largest determinant of applicant competitiveness. I think also in the top three was "school's reputation." There is a journal article somewhere with the survey results, but again, this just goes in line with UF opening doors. I could find it again, but I'm supposed to be studying right now.

Lastly, a lot of my extended family lives in Gainesville. I didn't need to drive anywhere for Thanksgiving, so that's kinda awesome. Regardless of this though, I still would have chosen UF.

You'll notice how I didn't mention anything about being impressed by the curriculum or environment. This is because I bought the "UF is a competitive meatgrinder" line of bull. I made my decision with a lot of trepidation, and ultimately my decision was based entirely on what I perceived would be best for my future career. Now that I'm here, I can say another reason to go here is because you'll meet so many bfflz omgzzzz <3<3<3 Dr. Zaius. Not you, CWeave. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID.

Now that I'm here, I can say another reason to go here is because you'll meet so many bfflz omgzzzz <3<3<3 Dr. Zaius. Not you, CWeave. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID.

Lol, thanks Neatloaf. Even though I didn't apply to FSU (not sure why, I'm sure it's a great school too -- maybe I just couldn't picture myself in Tallahassee), your points of comparison are quite helpful. You're right; its reputation probably is the best in Florida and that matters, even if some other schools in this state are really starting to come along and have some real distinguishing characteristics. And reputation is extremely important, as you say. That and the fact that all my friends who went to UF for undergrad seem to have this pride for their school that exceeds just about any other I have encountered. That's intriguing, especially as I'm a big sports fan. Do you all get to many games?

I was at the LSU game (ugh). The med school block was in the front row on the LSU sideline for that particular game. All the first years painted themselves orange and blue, myself included. We made it on ESPN three or more times. One my professors recognized me on Monday.

"So, Neatloaf, this may sound like a weird question, but were you blue on Saturday?"
"I was, in fact."
"I thought I recognized you. I yelled to my wife, 'I know that guy!' I'm just glad none of you all did anything too stupid."

All in good fun. A lot of people went to all the games, but I'm not that crazy. Point being, there is plenty of time to have fun your first semester, so long as you're disciplined about it.

And onto your point about the other schools in Florida, you're absolutely right. Every school in this state has a lot to offer, and although I compared UF and FSU in my previous post, I would have chosen UF over any other school in the state for similar reasons.

Not you, CWeave. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID.

anteater.jpg

BACK ON TOPIC:

The reasons that caused me to choose UF were primarily reputation, cost of attendance/living in the area, and performance on national examinations.

1. Reputation: Every time that I've spoken to a physician, when they found out I was going to UF it was almost as if they became a different person. Many of them noted the excellent quality of student work being presented at national research conferences as well as the ability of students to transition into the role of an intern seemlessly. From my understanding, residency directors are aware of the success that UF grads have on the wards, and take this into consideration during their decision-making process.

2. Cost of attendance: UF is a state school, and apartments around the school tend to be extremely cheap to live in. When you've got undergrad loans and med school loans staring you in the face, CoA becomes a very big factor in my opinion.

3. Performance on National Exams: As Neatloaf has already stated, UF has traditionally had very high scores on national board exams. You may say "Hey, I'll work hard for the boards on my own." Yes you will. However, the fact that UF bases its curriculum off the boards makes things a whole lot easier when you finish 2nd year and start studying for the boards. I'd much rather have a whole lot of review material to go over rather than seeing much of it for the first time. It's really nice when professors teach what you need to know for the boards, rather than droning on for an hour about their research on novel stem cell therapeutics in stage I clinical trials.

Oh, and the football is pretty nice too (not so much this year, haha).

Hopefully I find the [good] answer to this before I receive it on here. I interviewed at UF last week and thought it went pretty well. At the interview Dr. Amiri said that they would call us on Wednesday and if not, they would E-Mail us on Thursday. No call today and an e-mail feels more like a hold than an acceptance. [hopefully I'm wrong there]

Has anyone from that last interview group heard back?

Also, does UF split up acceptances and holds between the calls and e-mails?

Hoping for the best. :xf:

Hopefully I find the [good] answer to this before I receive it on here. I interviewed at UF last week and thought it went pretty well. At the interview Dr. Amiri said that they would call us on Wednesday and if not, they would E-Mail us on Thursday. No call today and an e-mail feels more like a hold than an acceptance. [hopefully I'm wrong there]

Has anyone from that last interview group heard back?

Also, does UF split up acceptances and holds between the calls and e-mails?

Hoping for the best. :xf:

I interviewed on 1/7, so the week before you and I did not get a call from anyone, so last Wednesday at around 4:30pm I called the admin office and they told me that they were running behind on acceptance notifications. I received an e-mail at around 5:30pm that day letting me know I was accepted. So do not think just because you didn't get a call means that you were not accepted. Good luck!:thumbup:

anteater.jpg

BACK ON TOPIC:

The reasons that caused me to choose UF were primarily reputation, cost of attendance/living in the area, and performance on national examinations.

1. Reputation: Every time that I've spoken to a physician, when they found out I was going to UF it was almost as if they became a different person. Many of them noted the excellent quality of student work being presented at national research conferences as well as the ability of students to transition into the role of an intern seemlessly. From my understanding, residency directors are aware of the success that UF grads have on the wards, and take this into consideration during their decision-making process.

2. Cost of attendance: UF is a state school, and apartments around the school tend to be extremely cheap to live in. When you've got undergrad loans and med school loans staring you in the face, CoA becomes a very big factor in my opinion.

3. Performance on National Exams: As Neatloaf has already stated, UF has traditionally had very high scores on national board exams. You may say "Hey, I'll work hard for the boards on my own." Yes you will. However, the fact that UF bases its curriculum off the boards makes things a whole lot easier when you finish 2nd year and start studying for the boards. I'd much rather have a whole lot of review material to go over rather than seeing much of it for the first time. It's really nice when professors teach what you need to know for the boards, rather than droning on for an hour about their research on novel stem cell therapeutics in stage I clinical trials.

Oh, and the football is pretty nice too (not so much this year, haha).

just wondering, is this what you said at your interview for "why UF COM"?

I am a UF undergrad and I agree with much of what the UF medical students have said on this forum regarding UF COM's Reputation, Cost and location that influenced them to choose UF over other schools. However, I must urge other applicants to not pick a school based on what the school says about its Board scores.

There is a thread entirely on this topic. Check out what Law2Doc says about these matters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=621835

In summary, Board scores for schools are not published. As a student you cannot find this information anywhere unless the school chooses to divulge it. Most medical schools will TELL you their students perform "above average" on the test. But there are many ways they can tailor-fit their numbers in a manner where the school is not technically BSing you when they say this (I am NOT trying to imply UF does this. I am just making a point). In reality the schools don't want to publish their average board scores. When the steps were first created they were meant to be a Pass/Fail system. Either you knew enough baseline information to score high enough on the exam to pass or you didn't. Its residency programs that started using your score to judge your competitiveness as an applicant. A lot of docs and medical schools think its a travesty that they have done this. Schools don't want to be handicapped by being forced to publish their scores. That would compel them to "teach to the boards" instead of teach in a manner they think will produce good doctors. After all, becoming a good doctor is not about getting a high score on a test.

Your score on the board exam is based on your own capabilities to take tests and not on the school you go to. I am sure UF students do score very well on the Steps, but I can confidently say its because UF places a LOT of emphasis on choosing applicants that have high numbers and good scores. They hand pick people that have statistically done very well on standardized test and will most likely continue this trend in medical school.

I am not trying to say UF isn't a great medical school. It most certainly is. I would not begrudge anyone who chose to go there. I personally will most likely not, but that is for my own reasons based on my experiences and general feelings about each school. To the applicant that started this line of conversation, if you would like additional info, feel free to PM me about why I liked FSU and how that has influenced my decision.

Last edited:
wow that is a quick turn around for a decision. I always thought uf took longer then that.

So everyone interviews Friday and then Adcom meets on Monday around 3:00 and finalizes their decisions. Your interviewers are at the meeting speaking on your behalf and they find out. Technically they can notify you as early as Tuesday morning, but not all interviewers will personally call/email. If they do not, the admissions office will email you by Thursday. It is fantastic turn around time!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses to my question; indeed, I am trying to craft my response to "why UF" -- not trying to outsource, but just get the ball rolling as to things I should be thinking about.

Butler, you had some great points. I do think the board scores performance (if you can gain an accurate reflection of how the students actually perfrom) involves a selection bias, but at least, if you can trust it, it is an indicator that UF students are pretty bright. And I like to be around smart people, so, you know, that's nice.

I am kind of curious why you're not as keen on UF though, Butler. I'll PM you.

As for the football, I wouldn't be too worried; Muschamp looks like he has things under control. I'm hoping the bball team returns to glory, though.

I have a question about 3rd/4th year rotations at UF: are they all done at Shands in Gainesville or do they spread them out to Jacksonville also?

Got the call today! Scheduled an interview for 2/11!!! :D:D

I have been complete since early november

Status
Not open for further replies.