2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering, is this what you said at your interview for "why UF COM"?

No, my "Why UF" was much more into specifics about the school's curriculum that I liked. I did mention reputation, but CofA and Performance on Natl Exams wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Members don't see this ad.

My M4 friend had to do some in Jacksonville and some in gainesville. So u might have to do at both. She also had in winter break or something like that a Longitudinal clinical experience in one of the preclinical years in daytona.

At the end of first semester during first year we do a preceptorship for 2 weeks at a primary care facility. They are incredibly enjoyable and give you a subtle reminder of why you came to med school.

Does anyone know if there is an online store that carries UF college of medicine paraphernalia? Particularly bumper stickers...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is an online store that carries UF college of medicine paraphernalia? Particularly bumper stickers...

If orientation is put together like last year they will have a way for your to order bumper stickers in the packet you will get over the summer.

If you can't wait until then: http://www.bkstr.com/Home/10001-10902-1?demoKey=d

It might be chrome, but I'm having trouble loading some of the images on the site.

You can go to Gainesville and get it lol. Thanks to my mom I woke up Christmas morning and found an abundance of UF COM paraphernalia under the tree...

Interview invite for 2/18! Complete mid-October. And I thought UF forgot about me...

Anyone else think the interview day of 8:30-5:30 is a bit looong? :p

Interview invite for 2/18! Complete mid-October. And I thought UF forgot about me...

Anyone else think the interview day of 8:30-5:30 is a bit looong? :p

Congrats! It is a long day and you will be tired. I thought the time was well spent, you really get a good idea of what the school is like and get to interact with students.

Congrats! It is a long day and you will be tired. I thought the time was well spent, you really get a good idea of what the school is like and get to interact with students.

Thanks! It seems from reading previous posts on this thread that you have an acceptance at UF? If so, congrats!! :D Do you (or anyone else) know how long UF takes post-interview to reach a decision?

Thanks! It seems from reading previous posts on this thread that you have an acceptance at UF? If so, congrats!! :D Do you (or anyone else) know how long UF takes post-interview to reach a decision?

You interview on a Friday. The admissions committee reviews the applicants of that interview day on the following Monday. They accepted 10/20 of my interview class. I found out their decision the next tuesday after my interview date. However, it depends on if your interviewer calls you to inform you of the decision. It doesn't take very long to find out if you've been accepted or placed on hold.

Wow. Thats a pretty quick turnaround time!

I'm excited for my interview feb. 11th!! Anyone else interviewing the 11th?

Thanks for the reply rattlerpride and congrats on the acceptance! Wow that seems like a really quick turnaround which is soo nice :)

Haven't really posted here since I didn't think UF would invite me for an interview because of my submission date, but I ended up being called Wed. to go on that Friday (yesterday). It was a great school and I would love to go here!

The new hospital was really cool, too. They even say it themselves that they make it look hotel-ish so patients would feel like they're there for a 'stay' haha.

Anyways, does anyone know how many students do they accept right off the bat without putting them on hold?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. The cancer hospital is the new one. It's super nice. As a lowly first year, most of my interest in it is their cafe on the third floor, however. Top notch fried chicken and a stone pizza oven.

Yeah. The cancer hospital is the new one. It's super nice. As a lowly first year, most of my interest in it is their cafe on the third floor, however. Top notch fried chicken and a stone pizza oven.

That's so funny :laugh:

Thanks for the reply rattlerpride and congrats on the acceptance! Wow that seems like a really quick turnaround which is soo nice :)

Haven't really posted here since I didn't think UF would invite me for an interview because of my submission date, but I ended up being called Wed. to go on that Friday (yesterday). It was a great school and I would love to go here!

The new hospital was really cool, too. They even say it themselves that they make it look hotel-ish so patients would feel like they're there for a 'stay' haha.

Anyways, does anyone know how many students do they accept right off the bat without putting them on hold?

No Prob Purplesky. And thanks very much, Hope to see u next fall!!

@andresgo: For my interview day they said that they would accept 10-12 out of the 20 interviewees we had on that day. Hope this helps!!

@andresgo: For my interview day they said that they would accept 10-12 out of the 20 interviewees we had on that day. Hope this helps!!

It really depends on when you have your interview. As the season goes along, they tend to accept more and more people outright instead of putting them on the waitlist. When I interviewed (2nd interview day of the season), they told us 2-3 of our group (out of 20) would be accepted outright on October 15. Some of my classmates that I talked to who interviewed in Dec/January said it was more like what Rattlerpride said.

But as weird as this sounds u will never understand how much of a big deal a good hospital cafeteria is. And how much difference it makes. When u are busy studying u don't always want to go out and want convenience. in boston, as much as I loved BUSM, I HATED with a burning passion their cafeteria. It sucked like there wasn't a tomorrow.

I was missing moffitt cancer center in thsoe days and TGH in South Tampa. They had such better food in their cafeterias.

The cancer center cafeteria is wonderful. They always have great soups as well as sandwiches they make on request, burgers, pizzas and calzones cooked in a brick oven (made to order as well) and main dishes they rotate through. The walk is pretty short from the health science center, too.

By the library there is a chik-fil-a, einstein's, and the Shands cafeteria is roughly a 50 yard walk (cafeteria food, subway, wendy's, a greek place). They are currently building a Panda Express and something else that's clearly not as important as Panda Express by the library as well, and it is set to open in spring of this year. I anticipate a 30 lbs weight gain by the time I start 2nd year.

The cancer center cafeteria is wonderful. They always have great soups as well as sandwiches they make on request, burgers, pizzas and calzones cooked in a brick oven (made to order as well) and main dishes they rotate through. The walk is pretty short from the health science center, too.

By the library there is a chik-fil-a, einstein's, and the Shands cafeteria is roughly a 50 yard walk (cafeteria food, subway, wendy's, a greek place). They are currently building a Panda Express and something else that's clearly not as important as Panda Express by the library as well, and it is set to open in spring of this year. I anticipate a 30 lbs weight gain by the time I start 2nd year.

As an MS1 have you had the opportunity to shadow and be around the cancer hospital?

I think I read on this thread that the school is filling it's acceptance roster with the post-interview acceptances. Can anyone clarify this? I thought the hold list was simply a reevaluation for spots available for the hold group, but I'm beginning to feel like it's simply a glorified waitlist.

At least its not gross food even if it is fattening. It just means u'll have to find some way to make time for hte gym. lol.

Sounds good.

yeah Moffitt had some good small places inside of their cafetaria area that was not the cafetaria itself plus the cafeteria which had decent food. They also had this small place called nanders in the research building. I used to love goign there. TGH had good food inside of its hospital too. A starbucks, mcdonalds though i can't stand them, sabarros which I loved, the cafeteria breakfast food was good too, and some other places. it was nice. On the other hand at BUSM food was just like those nightmares u get from a school lunch cafeteria in grade school. It was not appetizing at all sadly to say. Luckily there were a few good places just down the street outside of the school up there like on harrison and washington ave in boston. But the actual cafeteria food there sucked. That's why I made the statement I did on that end about such.

Isn't it funny I'm mentioning Moffitt and u mentioning a cancer center too. Maybe its just that cancer centers got good food. hahaha :laugh: :laugh:

But on a serious note, you should probably answer Forat2's question before it gets buried about shadowing and observing physicians at the cancer center as medical students.

Haha I suppose I should. Btw, have you interviewed yet? I've conversed with you since the days before I was applying to med school and would like to put a face to the name.

There are definitely opportunities to shadow. I'm working on a research project in the ED, which is on the bottom floor of the cancer center, that gives me plenty of chances. As a med student you're covered under malpractice, so they actually let you participate sometimes (nothing important, obviously, since we don't know anything yet...but presumably more than was allowed as a pre med in most cases). At the different specialty interest group meetings the physicians and residents always throw out invites to come shadow. "Just shoot me an email, or come on down to the department and we'll get you set up." From my experience they're all extremely excited about their field and love to try to recruit med students.

We're currently finishing up our neuroanatomy course, and the lab director, a 6th year neurosurgery resident, is pretty much always open to allowing students to follow her around on cases.

Tl;dr: There are plenty of opportunities.

Hey everyone, decided to finally get an account after reading the forums for some time in order to get some advice. I'm starting to get worried with regards to getting an interview at UF and Miami. I submitted the secondaries back in mid-October and have yet to hear anything other than the "your file is complete" email. Does anyone know if I should send a letter of interest or something? These are my two top choices, and I'm an in-state student who goes to Duke (36R on MCAT, 3.5 science and regular GPA). Anyone know the chances that I still might get an invite or am I just out of luck at this point? I'll be hearing from UCF this Thursday, but I was hoping I would have heard from other places by now in case things don't go well.

Thanks.

For the record, no other school does No-Shave-Neuro. This is truly why UF is superior.

For the record, no other school does No-Shave-Neuro. This is truly why UF is superior.

Does this apply to both males and females? The latter option is very disconcerting.

haha I am an undergrad at UF and volunteering in the ER on the 1st floor and surgery on the 2nd. I eat there almost time and go on the nice outside terrace to eat.

what the heck is no shave neuro?

The males (and some females?) don't shave their beards for the 5 weeks that we have to take neuroscience. Everyone then usually does little designs for their beard at the end of the unit when we take the Shelf (i.e. someone with hemispatial neglect only shaves one side of their face, etc.).

I thought med school was hard, but not shaving off this itchy beard for 5 weeks was pretty tought too.

Went by the Office of Admissions again today. Roughly 126 mugshots for Class of 2015 Board. They pretty much filled the class it seems so I'm guessing any changes are going to be based on people accepting elsewhere.

Went by the Office of Admissions again today. Roughly 126 mugshots for Class of 2015 Board. They pretty much filled the class it seems so I'm guessing any changes are going to be based on people accepting elsewhere.

Are interviews now going to be just for waitlist spots? What a bummer :smuggrin:

Last edited:

Are interviews now going to be just for waitlist spots? What a bummer :smuggrin:

Note that this is just for people that have sent in a deposit to the college. The number of people on that board will change as people drop their acceptances and go elsewhere. Interviews will still be occurring for acceptances, as they will still extend acceptances based on previous data that indicate the amount of attrition of accepted students that UF is likely to face.

Note that this is just for people that have sent in a deposit to the college. The number of people on that board will change as people drop their acceptances and go elsewhere. Interviews will still be occurring for acceptances, as they will still extend acceptances based on previous data that indicate the amount of attrition of accepted students that UF is likely to face.

How much longer do you think they will send invites for?

Ook gotcha, thanks for clearing it up!

I have been ACCEPTED!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

So excited to meet the rest of my potential classmates :)

I have been ACCEPTED!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

So excited to meet the rest of my potential classmates :)

Congrats Turtle! I interviewed with you! i was waiting around all day...hopefully i hear something soon

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I was thinking about you the other day because I remember you had asked me about FAU med apps some time ago and saw ur pms from back then about it and our discussion about when we interviewed at UCF med.

Glad to hear you got in somewhere. Is this your first acceptance? Is this where you plan on going or are you still going to wait on the UCF waitlist to see what happens with that and apply to FAU med to see what happens with that just as other options in Fl?? Just curious and hope I'm not offending you by asking you these things. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

I hope I can say that I have one acceptance by the end of this cycle.

Yes, this is my first acceptance :) After interviewing at UF, I realized it was mostly likely where I belonged. It is such a strong program and I am honored to become apart of it :) I am not sure whether I will still be applying to FAU or when I will withdraw my apps from the other schools. I plan to finish out the interview season and see what happens....

I know it sounds cheesy, but you will end up where you belong. Your commitment and passion is evident ;) Just be patient!

Congrats Turtle! I interviewed with you! i was waiting around all day...hopefully i hear something soon

Thanks docjlud! I called Leila today and she said she would be sending emails tmrw before 12 pm. The admissions office did not contact us today because they wanted to give the interviewers an opportunity to notify their interviewees of the decisions. That is how I found out today. So look for a email in the morning! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Just got the acceptance email! Wohoo finally some love from the alma mater!!!

I think it all came down to wearing my gator tie!

Has anyone had a change in status after being place on hold yet?

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed 2/18. Just received a call this morning from one of my interviewers who is awesome. :D So excited for second look and to meet the rest of my potential classmates!

accepted!!! Interviewed 2/18. Just received a call this morning from one of my interviewers who is awesome. :hungover: so excited for second look and to meet the rest of my potential classmates!

congrats!!!:hungover:

I think it all came down to wearing my gator tie!

CONGRATS!!! I interviewed with you and remember your tie! We interviewed at FIU together too (so you know who I am)

WE ARE CLASSMATES!!! YESSSSS

Has anyone had a change in status after being place on hold yet?

Everyone placed on hold will be moved directly to the waitlist. So any news you receive will most likely concern you being moved to an Official Waitlist, unless they choose not to notify you until a spot opens up in their class after May 15th (or sooner if someone chooses to give their spot up before then). And yes, this comes straight from the UF Ad COM, I am not making it up (see an earlier post by me in this forum).

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I was recently accepted into UF COM and i am currently looking into the best laptop to buy. Here are my options:

1. I originally wanted to purchase a Macbook pro but I am worried about compatibility issues. I have been a pc user all of my life and i wouldn't mind switching over. Any current med students have any input on the use of macs at UF and possible compatibility issues?

2. Purchase a PC and an ipad. Im not sure which model pc i would get ( any suggestions?) but I think i would also get an ipad because it would be easier to carry around all day long.

Any one have any ideas or suggestion on which laptop I should get?

Thanks

Any body else receive an email from UF today? It informed me of 3 interview dates scheduled in March, and said my application was still under consideration. I will receive a phone call if invited for an interview. Any thoughts?

Any body else receive an email from UF today? It informed me of 3 interview dates scheduled in March, and said my application was still under consideration. I will receive a phone call if invited for an interview. Any thoughts?

I received the same email... but one of my friends who also applied, did not. So I'm not sure what this means? Maybe we're in a more competitive pile that has the potential to get interviewed? :luck: I would love to go to UFCOM! Interview me please!! :xf:

I received the same email as well...hopefully it means we are in a more competitive pile :luck::xf:

Received the same email. :xf:

Hey guys,

I was recently accepted into UF COM and i am currently looking into the best laptop to buy. Here are my options:

1. I originally wanted to purchase a Macbook pro but I am worried about compatibility issues. I have been a pc user all of my life and i wouldn't mind switching over. Any current med students have any input on the use of macs at UF and possible compatibility issues?

2. Purchase a PC and an ipad. Im not sure which model pc i would get (any suggestions?) but I think i would also get an ipad because it would be easier to carry around all day long.

Any one have any ideas or suggestion on which laptop I should get?

Thanks

I'm interested in this, too, as my laptop finally decided to die after I dropped it pretty badly about two months ago. It was a slow, agonizing death. Poor guy. RIP Gateway.

Any other tech considerations going in?

I'm interested in this, too, as my laptop finally decided to die after I dropped it pretty badly about two months ago. It was a slow, agonizing death. Poor guy. RIP Gateway.

Any other tech considerations going in?

COM Requirements:

http://osa.med.ufl.edu/policies/college-of-medicine-computer-requirement/

The list is obviously dated, and I wouldn't worry so much about a long-life battery since every seat in every lecture hall now has a power outlet.

I don't know of any students in any of UF's health schools that use an ipad in class. However several Mac users also have Windows 7 loaded on their machines. Personally I'd go for one of the smaller laptops, but you might want something a larger monitor can plug into for the bigger projects, or just for studying. IMO ipads aren't very versatile for writing reports, etc. but I don't have one so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.