2010-2011 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any body else receive an email from UF today? It informed me of 3 interview dates scheduled in March, and said my application was still under consideration. I will receive a phone call if invited for an interview. Any thoughts?

I received the same e-mail, thought it was a weird way to do that. Then I sent them a reply saying I already chose a school and thanked them for my time. Maybe it will help someone if it means we are in a better pile.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the email as well, and so did a few of my friends. However, I also do know of a few people that didn't get it. Glad to still be in the running, I wonder how many of us are in this "pile." Regardless, I hope everyone gets in somewhere :)

When does UF stop interviewing? I got an email about 3 possible interview dates in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any body else receive an email from UF today? It informed me of 3 interview dates scheduled in March, and said my application was still under consideration. I will receive a phone call if invited for an interview. Any thoughts?

Yup, same here. Not sure what to think of it though, since so many of you guys got it too, haha. Hoping for an interview nonetheless! Good luck everyone!

Yup, same here. Not sure what to think of it though, since so many of you guys got it too, haha. Hoping for an interview nonetheless! Good luck everyone!

Yeah, I think it's good that we are in the group where not everyone got the email, but at the same time, I think too many people got it for it to mean very much. Good luck though!! :luck:

They sent a letter to hold status people as well. It said that they would start looking at an alternate list at the end of march and would rank people on the alternates list based on that in mid-April. It seems to me that they pretty much said that hold was for placement on the alternate list, just unranked at the moment.

I received the same email. UF interview ME!!! :luck::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

I also know a few people who didn't get it.

Hey guys,

I was recently accepted into UF COM and i am currently looking into the best laptop to buy. Here are my options:

1. I originally wanted to purchase a Macbook pro but I am worried about compatibility issues. I have been a pc user all of my life and i wouldn't mind switching over. Any current med students have any input on the use of macs at UF and possible compatibility issues?

2. Purchase a PC and an ipad. Im not sure which model pc i would get ( any suggestions?) but I think i would also get an ipad because it would be easier to carry around all day long.

Any one have any ideas or suggestion on which laptop I should get?

Thanks

I'm interested in this, too, as my laptop finally decided to die after I dropped it pretty badly about two months ago. It was a slow, agonizing death. Poor guy. RIP Gateway.

Any other tech considerations going in?

COM Requirements:

http://osa.med.ufl.edu/policies/college-of-medicine-computer-requirement/

The list is obviously dated, and I wouldn't worry so much about a long-life battery since every seat in every lecture hall now has a power outlet.

I don't know of any students in any of UF's health schools that use an ipad in class. However several Mac users also have Windows 7 loaded on their machines. Personally I'd go for one of the smaller laptops, but you might want something a larger monitor can plug into for the bigger projects, or just for studying. IMO ipads aren't very versatile for writing reports, etc. but I don't have one so I can't say for sure.

Several of my classmates use iPads in class and they seem to like using them. I've always been a PC guy, and I take all of my notes for class on my computer. Like DrGator said, the lecture halls have power outlets now that allow you to use your laptop/iPad indefinitely. Carrying my 15" Dell laptop around hasn't been that big of a deal, since I don't really use textbooks anyway. All classes (except for Anatomy which requires the use of Netter's atlas) can be studied for using BRS, the class notes, and Wikipedia. So far it's worked out well for me.

Just a couple of things to consider:

1. I have yet to hear of a compatibility issue with regard to Macs, so if you want to purchase one, go for it. Personally, I think they are overpriced pieces of garbage, but hey, I'm just the class IT chair, what do I know.

2. Our class is about 60% take notes on computer, 40% use traditional paper notes. Just consider this when you think about how you best learn, and what kind of computer you would like to have.

Several of my classmates use iPads in class and they seem to like using them. I've always been a PC guy, and I take all of my notes for class on my computer. Like DrGator said, the lecture halls have power outlets now that allow you to use your laptop/iPad indefinitely. Carrying my 15" Dell laptop around hasn't been that big of a deal, since I don't really use textbooks anyway. All classes (except for Anatomy which requires the use of Netter's atlas) can be studied for using BRS, the class notes, and Wikipedia. So far it's worked out well for me.

Just a couple of things to consider:

1. I have yet to hear of a compatibility issue with regard to Macs, so if you want to purchase one, go for it. Personally, I think they are overpriced pieces of garbage, but hey, I'm just the class IT chair, what do I know.

2. Our class is about 60% take notes on computer, 40% use traditional paper notes. Just consider this when you think about how you best learn, and what kind of computer you would like to have.

Thank you for your response cweave!

After much thought, i have decided against the mac (too much money). I'll just get a pc and maybe an ipad. But as the class IT chair which pc brands do you recommend?

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed 2/18. Just received a call this morning from one of my interviewers who is awesome. :D So excited for second look and to meet the rest of my potential classmates!
Congrats!!! I will see you at the second look w-e :)

Hello,

I was admitted last December and I was wondering what should I expect next? Should I be expecting an official letter? If so, how long does it usually lakes to be received? i have not received anything since December and I am starting to worry... :confused:

Any comments??

Thanks

Hello,

I was admitted last December and I was wondering what should I expect next? Should I be expecting an official letter? If so, how long does it usually lakes to be received? i have not received anything since December and I am starting to worry... :confused:

Any comments??

Thanks

You should get an acceptance packet with an acceptance letter, brochure, UF COM bag, light, etc a week or two following your acceptance. Perhaps yours was lost in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Any comments??

Thanks

You should also have received an email from Leila with the website that has more information on second look, mailing the deposit, a picture of the wall with accepted applicant's photos, etc.

I would definitely call them and ask! See you at second look! :)

Guys does UF do silent rejections? I haven't heard a word since I applied in early October.

Has anyone who has gotten an update about possible interview dates in March received a phone call?? I am anxiously waiting :sleep:

Has anyone who has gotten an update about possible interview dates in March received a phone call?? I am anxiously waiting :sleep:

I got the email on monday and then got the call for an interview on tuesday morning! I am interviewing this friday and I am REALLY excited. I couldnt believe it. I was in shock when I got the call. Haha. Good Luck to everyone! Keep the faith!

new ipad comes out March 11th!!!

i will be getting one of those for med school :)

You should get an acceptance packet with an acceptance letter, brochure, UF COM bag, light, etc a week or two following your acceptance. Perhaps yours was lost in the mail?

Well I did not get any of that :mad:. I called Leila today and she fixed the pb!! So now I should receive everything next week. They're not sure what happened.

Thanks for the info.

You should also have received an email from Leila with the website that has more information on second look, mailing the deposit, a picture of the wall with accepted applicant's photos, etc.

I would definitely call them and ask! See you at second look! :)

I received the email and all the rest, but not the packet. I called them today and it should be on the way now. :D

Thanks for your help

See you on May. :soexcited:

I got the email on monday and then got the call for an interview on tuesday morning! I am interviewing this friday and I am REALLY excited. I couldnt believe it. I was in shock when I got the call. Haha. Good Luck to everyone! Keep the faith!

WOW!!! I am so happy for you!! That kinda makes me feel better! There is always hope:)
Good luck on your interview!!!

Mac's rebuttal? http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

ipad_vs_notebook.jpg

Does anyone know what the three dates are? I'm guessing one is this friday the 4th. When are the other two?

I'm still waiting to receive that call :luck::xf:

I'd assume the 3 are 11th, 18th, and 25th. i got the impression from leila they were nearly done filling the March 4th date on the 23rd of Feb when I talked to her at the med forum.

She also said that if we didn't hear by 25th to know we'd been rejected. So my guess is its actually 11th, 18th, and 25th that are the three remaining dates.

I think it's 4, 18, and 25.

Would you, or anyone, know if they're still interviewing for seats in the class or just waitlist spots?

Thanks

So I shouldn't be bitter, and I should be happy for anyone who gets an interview anywhere because I know the process is grueling. But really, I know someone with a 24 MCAT getting an interview at UF. I am annoyed.

So I shouldn't be bitter, and I should be happy for anyone who gets an interview anywhere because I know the process is grueling. But really, I know someone with a 24 MCAT getting an interview at UF. I am annoyed.

Ten bucks says they are a URM :laugh:. Don't sweat it man, I know it does stink but medical schools have quotas to fill as well. Cultural/Ethnic diversity IS a good thing in medical school and the medical community after all. I personally wouldn't want to go back 6-7 decades ago when everyone graduating medical school was white and male.

Hey congrats to all those accepted! :claps:

Spacious & Fully Furnished 2bd/2bth Apt in Gainesville, FL 2bed/2bath Windsor Park apartment, across from Lexington Crossing. It is a ~7 minute drive to the UF and Shands campuses (~15 minutes on the bus) and ~4 minute drive to the Archer Butler Plaza. The apartment is on the second floor, so you will have no one above you; there’s a balcony facing the parking lot that makes for a great study/relax spot; and it’s located in the front of the complex a few feet from the bus stop (for routes 9 and 34) and down the road from another bus stop (for routes 35 and 36)! Internet &cable are included in the price.

Price: $400 master bedroom/$350 other bedroom (price is negotiable).

The apartment is available immediately for a year lease (term is negotiable).

Pictures available upon request, or visit windsorparkatuf.com

No pets, please.

Amenities include:
Private Patios
Full Sized Washer/Dryer
Private Bedroom and Bath
Full Sized Beds
Large Closets with Full-Length Mirrors
Desk
Dresser
Nightstand
Microwave
Dishwasher
Tennis courts
Basketball courts
Soccer field
24hr Computer lab and FREE printing
24hr Fitness room

PM me if interested! :D

Got an interview here coming up but does anyone know if there are still spots in the class available or if I'm interviewing for an alternate spot?

Ten bucks says they are a URM :laugh:. Don't sweat it man, I know it does stink but medical schools have quotas to fill as well. Cultural/Ethnic diversity IS a good thing in medical school and the medical community after all. I personally wouldn't want to go back 6-7 decades ago when everyone graduating medical school was white and male.

I know you're just trying to be candid, but this comment does not sit well with me. MD228 gave us a single aspect of the person's file, his or her quantitative MCAT score. Perhaps md228 knows other aspects of the person's file but we do not and it's pretty sad to practically assume, based on the score, that the person is a URM. Having been a part of a selection process for a program that must distinguish between pre-meds, my take-away is that people underestimate the importance of the written aspects of the application. I am also very glad that med school selection is not like it used to be, and that includes looking at many aspects of the applicant, not just the MCAT score or a person's race/ethnicity.

I know you're just trying to be candid, but this comment does not sit well with me. MD228 gave us a single aspect of the person's file, his or her quantitative MCAT score. Perhaps md228 knows other aspects of the person's file but we do not and it's pretty sad to practically assume, based on the score, that the person is a URM. Having been a part of a selection process for a program that must distinguish between pre-meds, my take-away is that people underestimate the importance of the written aspects of the application. I am also very glad that med school selection is not like it used to be, and that includes looking at many aspects of the applicant, not just the MCAT score or a person's race/ethnicity.

Hopefully, md228 will choose, if he is so inclined, to divulge this mystery applicant's characteristics. Nonetheless, as you said, I am speaking candidly on this matter from my own personal experiences. Please don't assume I think the intelligence or worthiness of an applicant for medical school should be based on their ability to take tests, far from it in fact. Sadly, with the system in place we must face the reality of the situation. Case in point, I have read more than one email from ADCOM Directors from various programs that they like to use concrete to semi-concrete MCAT/GPA cut-offs for applicants; unless they are an URM, where they will receive at least a precursory glance regardless of their scores. I am not trying to underscore any aspect of an applicant's file, which includes their race and ethnicity. I am fine with being put up against any variety of formidable competition for medical school seats, unless of course we are initially put on different footing, as URM status can sometimes succeed in doing. I simply do not want discrimination, on either side of issue.

Please don't assume I think the intelligence or worthiness of an applicant for medical school should be based on their ability to take tests, far from it in fact.

I don't think I did assume that. I actually recognized that you did not think that, and agreed with you. I said that you practically assumed, or were at least willing to bet, that based on the given characteristics, the applicant was a URM. I felt compelled to challenge that comment. That's all I'll say because I think I've seen a thread about the URM status debate and we don't need to bring that discussion here.

I don't think I did assume that. I actually recognized that you did not think that, and agreed with you. I said that you practically assumed, or were at least willing to bet, that based on the given characteristics, the applicant was a URM. I felt compelled to challenge that comment. That's all I'll say because I think I've seen a thread about the URM status debate and we don't need to bring that discussion here.

I made that assumption, or bet if you will, that the applicant was most likely an URM because of their score AND (I capitalize for emphasis) the fact they had received an interview at UF, which traditionally places emphasis on high MCAT scores. You are right however, this is not the thread to begin any debate about this issue. I will say no more on this matter.

So has anyone been invited to an interview after the email?

Does anyone know if the detailed match list for this year has been posted? All I could find were brief articles.

Hey guys I have a random question.

Does anyone know post-acceptance what grades students have to maintain to keep their acceptance? Is it just pass all your classes? I know UF was a bit ambiguous and said something along the lines of "Must keep performing at the same academic level"... somewhat worried.

That is a very impressive match list, thanks for sharing :cool:

I second that Forat2,

All these UF match lists are impressive!

if you got the email saying you're still in consideration- send any letter of update/interest you can. I know a few people who emailed them after the email and got interviews

Oh my stars and garters; I sent an update exactly a week ago and got a call this morning inviting me to the last interview day on March 25th. So excited!

I was asked, "Do you think you can make that date?"

My brain: "Listen. That means getting back from Boca Raton at 8 PM, then immediately driving 2 1/2 hours to Gainesville to be ready at 8:15 AM the next morning. You're not seriously suggesting--"

Me: "Oh man. I'll be there!"

Oh my stars and garters; I sent an update exactly a week ago and got a call this morning inviting me to the last interview day on March 25th. So excited!

I was asked, "Do you think you can make that date?"

My brain: "Listen. That means getting back from Boca Raton at 8 PM, then immediately driving 2 1/2 hours to Gainesville to be ready at 8:15 AM the next morning. You're not seriously suggesting--"

Me: "Oh man. I'll be there!"

wahooo congrats!

Thanks gujuDoc and LadyLoe! I can say that I am surprised I got one; I thought it was getting too late in the game. And I'm so nervous now! It's bad enough waiting around for interviews, but the interviews themselves tax my nerves like no other.

On the plus side, I did order a pretty suit from Ann Taylor Loft that I think is better than my previous one. Confidence building starts at the very bottom . . .

Thanks gujuDoc and LadyLoe! I can say that I am surprised I got one; I thought it was getting too late in the game. And I'm so nervous now! It's bad enough waiting around for interviews, but the interviews themselves tax my nerves like no other.

On the plus side, I did order a pretty suit from Ann Taylor Loft that I think is better than my previous one. Confidence building starts at the very bottom . . .

Yay Good luck!! Seriously don't stress, everyone at UF Med is super nice!! They really just want to make sure you're normal. Plus 70% of interviewees eventually get accepted. Take a deep breath and enjoy the day :)

Has anyone received a scholarship package yet from UF? I was also wondering if UF gave out a lot of scholarships?

Hey guys I have a random question.

Does anyone know post-acceptance what grades students have to maintain to keep their acceptance? Is it just pass all your classes? I know UF was a bit ambiguous and said something along the lines of "Must keep performing at the same academic level"... somewhat worried.

You should def pass your classes but as you stated they really expect you to "keep performing at the same academic level", so if you got all A's before your acceptance don't slack off so much as to get all C's.

lol.

Keep calm, focused, and confident.

Know your app inside and out.

Practice in front of a mirror or voice recording system.

I get questions off the interview feedback and make my husband ask me them. Surprisingly, I have had several exact questions in my interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.