2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, sometimes it is nice to be little spoon.

No book is big enough for that....

You're a lumberjack.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping to hear post interview decision tomorrow:thumbup:...interviewed 10/21...Had a great time at interview day!

Thats kind of a tough one.....sometimes it can take a LONG time for a pub to get accepted. It would also depend on how strong of an applicant you are. The goal right now is to get an interview, I'd you think you're def going to get an interview, I wouldn't bother - if you think you're borderline, you need to be submitting that ASAP. Also, you need to remember that FSU isn't as high on research as almost all other universities (sadly). If you have done a ton of research, you might want to leave it off for fear of simply being pigeon holed into the "not going into primary care" file. If this is one of your only rseach projects you might want to add it. Also, consider if you will be updating your app again. I wouldn't want to update my app 10 times, so if you know you are going to have another thing or two to add you may consider omitting it.

Sorry, that's a long way of saying that it depends.

Good luck!

I found it very helpful and comprehensive. I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
No book is big enough for that....

You're a lumberjack.

My internal derangements of joints texts probably are....but that is a bit too much depth for much of anything outside of a radiology musculoskeletal fellowship

What is the difference between a post interview hold or waitlist at FSU? Is FSU holding off on acceptance more so than in the past couple years due to the high rate of people taking the seats? After great interviews, and above average stats I'll be hoping to come off hold sometime in the near future. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
post-interview hold sounds nicer.

It is the same thing though...at least it was to me.

post-interview hold sounds nicer.

It is the same thing though...at least it was to me.

I don't know that it's the exact same thing.......wait list kinda implies that they have a list of people that when 1 person drops off, number 1 on the list gets taken.

I think apps on 'hold' are treated similarly to a wait list, but i think they are just a pile of 'maybes' - when they have 10 more admits, they'll go back into the maybe pile and reevaluate, as opposed to having a preset list in a rank order.....

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of how it works at FSU.

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. For those well into the application process, what was the length of time between your status showing "Application Complete" and "Application Under Review by the Admissions Office"? Not trying to read between the lines but I want to know if these are basically the same thing at FSU COM.

Ha I can tell you all about the Hold list....

Traditional waitlist: list of people who are re-evaluated and can be rejected/accepted whenever

fsu's hold list: ranked alternate list. at the end of the cycle, however many open seats there are go to the first however many people on the list.

most things we call waitlists nowadays aren't "traditional" waitlists.

Sisterdisco....After contacting FSU I was informed the hold list is reevaluated from time to time, and also if a meaningful update is made. Do people generally get off the hold list?

Sisterdisco....After contacting FSU I was informed the hold list is reevaluated from time to time, and also if a meaningful update is made. Do people generally get off the hold list?

Yes, several of my classmates came off the wait list.

Yeah, you can move your ranking on the list up with meaningful updates. it's how they know you're interested.

After contacting the admissions office I was told that the hold list is not ranked. Was that not true?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no uniform method or definition on the difference between a hold or wait list. Different schools like to call it different things and they all have slight variations on how they manage it.

I was on a "wait"list that was exactly the same as the FSU hold list. I was on another one that had high priority, mid priority, low priority tiers and only the high tier was reevaluated, if accepted off of it, they pulled someone from a ranked portion of the mid priority. The fourth one I was on was just a first come first serve.

Yes, I was on 4.

You can call it whatever you like, but if you aren't accepted at first and have to wait, it is a waitlist. Some people are on it until/unless they reach a certain MCAT score. Others, like me, are on it till the very end when they are burning through people looking for an acceptance in the last few days.

When one is on a wait/hold/rainbow.sunshine.happy or whatever they choose to call it list, your actions are still the same. You update with biggest events and changes, as well show your devotion to the school. The definitions are trivial.

After contacting the admissions office I was told that the hold list is not ranked. Was that not true?

It's not ranked until after May 15. At least that was my experience. They won't tell you where you are on it.

"wait list"..."hold list"...semantics. Point is you're in a group of people who are still viable for admission, and you should do what you can to increase the probability of it.

Any idea on when the next round of II's will be announced? Are they through the apps completed in July?

Hello, I'm wondering if you guys with interviews/acceptances could post your stats. I'm really hoping to hear from FSU soon. I would really love to go here and I just wanted some ideas on a timeline of when I could hear back from them.
Thanks in advance :)

Thanks! I was complete in very early July

Wow, I wonder if they really go in order when it comes to applications if they're still only on very early July apps. I was complete mid-July so maybe I'll be coming up soon. Good luck all!

Wow, I wonder if they really go in order when it comes to applications if they're still only on very early July apps. I was complete mid-July so maybe I'll be coming up soon. Good luck all!

After a few e-mails with admissions to sort out my app, we cleared it up. The lady in admissions assured me she was going to file my application back in the order of my original complete date and to disregard the new "complete date" on the internet.
so I think they file in order, but not sure their review process.
hope this helps!

Don't they start classes in June? If they are only on apps complete in July, then it sounds like they are moving pretty slowly. I'm definitely surprised I've heard from 4 other schools in Florida but still no word from FSU...

Don't they start classes in June? If they are only on apps complete in July, then it sounds like they are moving pretty slowly. I'm definitely surprised I've heard from 4 other schools in Florida but still no word from FSU...

I had a friend who who completed her app in mid-August last year, and wasn't invited to interview till February. I was also surprised that I haven't heard from here, but looking at her timeline, I am not as worried. :luck:

I can't let this thread drop down...gotta bump it up. Also, I like having a really active thread in general. ;)

Remember, there are all sorts of quirky and unpredictable things that can happen during the process. That applies to all schools. If you submitted a secondary and haven't heard anything back yet, just keep your chin up. It is a long road and you will worry yourself sick if you compare to everyone else.

Bumpity bump.

Friendly reminder to fill out the Interview Feedback section of SDN with your interviewing experiences here at FSU :D

Accepted to FSU. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

3.5c,3.45s, 34mcat

Primary App Verified 6/2
Application Complete 7/6
Interview Invite 10/3
Interview 10/31
Acceptance 11/16 :eek::D:love:

My application was complete on 9/15. It sounds like I might be waiting until March for an interview. Fun!

Accepted to FSU. :luck::luck::luck::luck:

3.5c,3.45s, 34mcat

Primary App Verified 6/2
Application Complete 7/6
Interview Invite 10/3
Interview 10/31
Acceptance 11/16 :eek::D:love:

Congrats! If you decide to go to FSU COM you'll love it. Either way, best of luck in your career.

Interview invite on 11/22. Complete 9/12. Florida resident.

Congrats! Do you mind providing your stats or ballpark? Do well at the interview!:thumbup:

Just a word of caution, and maybe hope for some, FSU has a truly hollistic approach to admissions. They do not just look for MCAT and GPA. Once an applicant hits the "ballpark" range of stats to ensure they are a strong enough student to handle a medical school curriculum, in all likelihood, the applicant will get a thorough review. For those of you that have not received an interview, if you truly desire to attend FSU, send a letter of intent. Make sure to include what would make you a good fit for FSU (and their mission). This netted me an interview invite last year. Now if you aren't sure you want to come here-don't lie of course-but feel free to update FSU with volunteer, academic or research achievements. Additionally, to applicants recieving interviews. Don't worry about your stats, or lack thereof, come interview day. If you are invited, Admissions cares about who YOU are as a person, not how you look on paper (they already know how you look on paper, that's why you were invited). So don't expect your stats to carry you, or worry if you are in the lower end of the accepted spectrum; the playing field is leveled.

Just a word of caution, and maybe hope for some, FSU has a truly hollistic approach to admissions. They do not just look for MCAT and GPA. Once an applicant hits the "ballpark" range of stats to ensure they are a strong enough student to handle a medical school curriculum, in all likelihood, the applicant will get a thorough review. For those of you that have not received an interview, if you truly desire to attend FSU, send a letter of intent. Make sure to include what would make you a good fit for FSU (and their mission). This netted me an interview invite last year. Now if you aren't sure you want to come here-don't lie of course-but feel free to update FSU with volunteer, academic or research achievements. Additionally, to applicants recieving interviews. Don't worry about your stats, or lack thereof, come interview day. If you are invited, Admissions cares about who YOU are as a person, not how you look on paper (they already know how you look on paper, that's why you were invited). So don't expect your stats to carry you, or worry if you are in the lower end of the accepted spectrum; the playing field is leveled.

Butler thank you for the words of encouragement. I was asking because I was complete about the same time. Hoping for some goods news soon! :)

Well, they do care a little how you look on paper. ;) They are usually very direct with you though. I was told point blank after my interview that they would want to see my grades for the semester before accepting me. Another classmate was told she needed her MCAT to be raised a few points before being accepted. As soon as she got the magic score, she was accepted post interview.

They wouldn't do what another school did to me where I called to make sure I was complete and was told I was and that I would hear shortly about an interview. Then I had a dead period until May when I called back and they said they were waiting on updates and a piece of information from me before interviewing.

Well, they do care a little how you look on paper. ;) They are usually very direct with you though. I was told point blank after my interview that they would want to see my grades for the semester before accepting me. Another classmate was told she needed her MCAT to be raised a few points before being accepted. As soon as she got the magic score, she was accepted post interview.

They wouldn't do what another school did to me where I called to make sure I was complete and was told I was and that I would hear shortly about an interview. Then I had a dead period until May when I called back and they said they were waiting on updates and a piece of information from me before interviewing.

Awful. Just awful. Another reason I'm glad I didn't bother looking beyond FSU...

Interviewing at FSU? :claps:,well..........DONT BACK-IN to your spot in the parking garage! :nono: You WILL get a ticket! At least I did +pity+(fortunately they ended up forgiving me! :D) There is signage..... :wtf: but its sorta small if you ask me :uhno:. As for the interview day itself...off the chain! Absolutely loved the people, the program AND the campus! :bow::bow: :bow:

- 1st acceptance :soexcited:

Interviewing at FSU? :claps:,well..........DONT BACK-IN to your spot in the parking garage! :nono: You WILL get a ticket! At least I did +pity+(fortunately they ended up forgiving me! :D) There is signage..... :wtf: but its sorta small if you ask me :uhno:. As for the interview day itself...off the chain! Absolutely loved the people, the program AND the campus! :bow::bow: :bow:

- 1st acceptance :soexcited:

congrats. I didnt know about that rule too until a nice student told me that they will give ticket.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nenp9PwzU&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

Love me FSU.

--a Gator willing to shift his allegiance

I was complete 10/24... It looks like it's going to be either a long wait or a no II for me.. Oh well, hoping for the best :)

Application has been under review by the ADCOM since 10/20.

Is it terrible that nothing has changed in so long?

I'm an FSU student, by the way.

What should I be expecting next?

Does anyone happen to know FSU's average step one score from recent years?? :idea:
thanks!

Application has been under review by the ADCOM since 10/20.

Is it terrible that nothing has changed in so long?

I'm an FSU student, by the way.

What should I be expecting next?

I've been under review since 8/9 and haven't heard anything, so I wouldn't be worried.

Received an Interview Invite today and I'm pretty pumped to go back to FSU for round 2! (Reapplicant and got an interview to FSU last year on the final day. Waitlisted and didn't get in)

Anyway, I was complete 9/6 and hadn't heard until now (beside an update letter I sent in mid-October).

I loved the school and I can't wait to see it again. Hopefully they like me a little better this time around =P

Oh yeah, Dana said the earliest available interview date is December 12th (I don't think I can have my interview till January due to classes/living in boston at the moment) so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet since they interview till end of april they still have TONS of interview spots!

Did anyone that interviewed on Nov 18th hear back yet?? They said we would hear back within 2 weeks (which would be today) but I didn't hear anything! Just curious-- thanks!

nov 18th interviews..
Did anyone that interviewed on Nov 18th hear back yet?? They said we would hear back within 2 weeks (which would be today) but I didn't hear anything! Just curious-- thanks!

I interviewed that day and received an acceptance e-mail on Wednesday evening. Good luck!!!! I hope you hear back soon.

I was complete in early August, and received an interview invite today (so there is hope for all). I will be interviewing on December 12th. If anyone is driving from South Florida or Orlando for the same date, please let me know. I would be happy to split the gas, and if you plan on staying the night, the cost of a hotel room. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.