2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted my secondary Oct 15 (late I know) and I still havent been marked complete. Has it taken anyone else longer than one month for their letters to be downloaded?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary Oct 15 (late I know) and I still havent been marked complete. Has it taken anyone else longer than one month for their letters to be downloaded?

It varies.
Mine took over a month but other people took a much shorter time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my II today and I've been on hold since October. Good luck with yours. :)
Congrats!! To clarify, you were on hold (as in, your status was the "we have reviewed your file...") since October? Or were you under review since October?

that's a little strange, I submitted my secondary on October 18th, and was marked "complete and under review" on November 2nd. Maybe you should call tomorrow, since its the only day you can call I think.

There were some technical problems (I was told) and it took two months to get my letters downloaded (submitted middle of September). So not that strange, but definitely call--that was how I got them to mark me complete.

PS--the only day you can check your status is Thursday, so call tomorrow!

Do they send some sort of confirmation that they've received your letter asking to hold your acceptance? Just want to make sure they got it.

I emailed them and they were very happy to tell me whether they had got it or not!

So I had a pretty generic interview question: I just recently received one, and I was wondering the general consensus of how it is? Stressful? Low key? Be prepared for some curve ball questions? I've only gone to interviews that were either A) MMIs or B) just one interviewer. Who are the two people that typical interview at the loyola interview? Honestly I REALLY want to nail this interview because this is one of my absolute top choices for school!!!

So I had a pretty generic interview question: I just recently received one, and I was wondering the general consensus of how it is? Stressful? Low key? Be prepared for some curve ball questions? I've only gone to interviews that were either A) MMIs or B) just one interviewer. Who are the two people that typical interview at the loyola interview? Honestly I REALLY want to nail this interview because this is one of my absolute top choices for school!!!

I'd like to refer you to the interview feedback page on SDN. They have really helpful tips for just about every school :)

I had two laid back interviews. One was with an MD and one was with a PhD. Just be prepared to talk about you, your interests, your background, even your family. They just want to know who you are.

Does anyone know when in the spring Loyola sends out financial information?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was creeping last years SDN and they found out in mid/late April. I also creeped their financial aid page and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a scholarship!

"Those individuals who meet the financial aid application deadline can expect to receive a Financial Aid Award prior to May 15th." - From their financial aid website

"Those individuals who meet the financial aid application deadline can expect to receive a Financial Aid Award prior to May 15th." - From their financial aid website

I didn't hear this when I was at Loyola but, at another jesuit interview (Georgetown). And basically due to the ****ty economy, the funding for scholarships are down for merit based to pretty much zero. Unless it is need based, it seems like a pretty low chance. Hopefully its different at Loyola because I would love to get a scholarship but, I have a feeling it is probably pretty similar.

They said something about merit aid on my day so maybe some is available. I don't think their scholarships are huge, like 3k a year or so... but I'm happy to save 12k over 4 years, anything helps.

In a youtube video I saw, I believe they said that they had something like $3 mil available for scholarships. Don't know if that's true anymore, and I can't remember if it was merit or not.

EDIT: I do believe that they mention specific merit scholarships on their Financial Aid page.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I didn't hear this when I was at Loyola but, at another jesuit interview (Georgetown). And basically due to the ****ty economy, the funding for scholarships are down for merit based to pretty much zero. Unless it is need based, it seems like a pretty low chance. Hopefully its different at Loyola because I would love to get a scholarship but, I have a feeling it is probably pretty similar.

Shh....don't say things like that. ;)

The interviewers should mostly be Stritch faculty members. Based on my own experiences, and those of my current classmates, I can say that the interviews are almost always of a laid-back and friendly tenor. In only one case have I heard of someone being interrogated/grilled/harassed/pimped. Expect a genial encounter in which you spend most of the time describing your personal motivations for medicine, your personal background, and your hobbies/interests.

As for any other interview, though, you should prepare by considering possible responses to health care and/or ethics questions. They weren't asked in an aggressive, interrogative manner, but on my interview day I was asked questions about what I perceived to be the biggest challenges to the delivery of present-day healthcare, and whether I could propose any solutions. When I mentioned end-of-life care, the conversation naturally evolved into a discussion of the ethics involved in euthanasia, etc. Don't worry about having "the right answer," and rest assured that the majority of your dialogue will focus on things that you can't possibly screw up -- "how did you like college;" "tell me about your hometown;" "what do your parents do;" "tell me about so-and-so activity on your AMCAS;" etc. Be polite, be thoughtful, and be cheerful, and you'll go a long way.

ok and last question, and I'm sure this has already been answered but... what is the percentage of people that interview who are accepted (not waitlisted first)

Has a FB group for the incoming class been made yet??

ok and last question, and I'm sure this has already been answered but... what is the percentage of people that interview who are accepted (not waitlisted first)

Straight from the admissions website:

2012 Application Figures
AMCAS Applications Received 9,624
Completed Applications 6,210
Applicants Interviewed 548
Acceptances Offered 366

Supposedly, of our first-year class of 157, only 1 person was accepted off the waitlist. Last year was a bit of an aberration in that there's usually a bit more WL movement, but the number of outright acceptances should be a reflection of prior years' trends. It just so happens that in 2012, a higher percentage of students who were accepted outright chose Stritch over competing institutions.

So, anyway, I think we can extrapolate and assume that 360+ outright acceptances were offered last year, putting your odds of acceptance after interview well over 50%. Please remember, though, that this is an average, and those who interview earlier on have a better shot at getting in. I myself got in after a March interview, and I've heard of April interviewees getting offers, but they definitely become a bit stingier with the offers as the year wears on.

so if you're on pre-interview hold, what are your chances?:)

so if you're on pre-interview hold, what are your chances?:)

I'm sure some people have had success, but generally it's not too great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some people who were put on hold this cycle have already gotten interviews! So it's not a complete death sentence. But generally, I don't think the odds are too great.

Been under review for 10 weeks now, is this normal? Should I be expecting a decision soon?

Did you get the "On hold" status?

Nope, "file is under review with the committee on admissions."

So...bump. Has anyone been under review for more than 10 weeks b4 getting an II?

Seriously though, I've been "under review" for almost 3 months. It seems from this thread that this is pretty long to be under review.

Just to clarify, I am not on hold, my file has been "under review" by the committee for just under 3 months now.

Irish, have you tried calling them? Also, not sure if they are against it but a letter of interest might help. In fact, if I were you, I'd be sending loi's to most of the schools I really, really want to go to. Loi's work about 50% of the time if the school is not known to dislike them.

Irish, have you tried calling them? Also, not sure if they are against it but a letter of interest might help. In fact, if I were you, I'd be sending loi's to most of the schools I really, really want to go to. Loi's work about 50% of the time if the school is not known to dislike them.

I've sent LOI's to several of the schools I want to go to the most, including Loyola back in Sept. I called them last week and they said if I don't hear back by the end of the month I should call back. Does anyone know if being under review for so long is a good or a bad thing?

I've sent LOI's to several of the schools I want to go to the most, including Loyola back in Sept. I called them last week and they said if I don't hear back by the end of the month I should call back. Does anyone know if being under review for so long is a good or a bad thing?

I'm curious about all of this as well. My file has been marked as "under review with the committee on admissions." since mid-late August.

EDIT: And when I try to call, they only repeat my status to me.

Not sure about Loyola's process, but I am still under review at half (>10) of the places I applied to even with July completions. With your stats and post loi's though, I'm surprised you have not had more bites especially with an early app. If you know someone fairly important who could go to bat for you by sending a very positive email/letter on your behalf (prof you did not ask already, boss, co-worker, even your pastor if you have one, volunteer coordinator), that could be something else to look into at this point.

Leave no stone unturned :)

Does anyone know if Loyola requires transcript updates if on the waitlist?

Not sure about Loyola's process, but I am still under review at half (>10) of the places I applied to even with July completions. With your stats and post loi's though, I'm surprised you have not had more bites especially with an early app. If you know someone fairly important who could go to bat for you by sending a very positive email/letter on your behalf (prof you did not ask already, boss, co-worker, even your pastor if you have one, volunteer coordinator), that could be something else to look into at this point.

Leave no stone unturned :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into who I may know.

Does anyone know if Loyola requires transcript updates if on the waitlist?

I don't think its technically required, but its strongly encouraged. They told me on my interview day that those who get off the wait list are those that "show them some love" with updates and loi's! If you did well this semester and think that your new grades are a benefit to your application than you should totally send them in!

I submitted on 9/27, and I'm still not complete.

Does anyone else from the 11/17/12 interview date know when we will hear decisions? I'm pretty sure it's a day this week, but I can't exactly remember.

There was a committee meeting today. Just saw the crew leave their conference room.

Does anyone else from the 11/17/12 interview date know when we will hear decisions? I'm pretty sure it's a day this week, but I can't exactly remember.

Just got the call! Accepted!! So excited :)

Just got the call! Very excited! I was completely caught off guard because for some reason I thought they were going to meet tomorrow. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! :luck:

Got the call tonight!!! ACCEPTED!!!! Interviewed 11/17. Finished secondary back in August and it took forever to become complete and under review but only under review for a couple wks before ii. I'm so excited!!!

Accepted too! So thankful and blessed. Things usually don't work out the way you dream them, but when they do- it is completely surreal.

+1. Awesome! Is there a Facebook group?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

congrats to those accepted! Does anyone know what the consensus is for interviewing the first week of january? As in, is it still pretty open to being accepted vs. waitlisted, i know some schools do various types of admission and I dont know which one Loyola does?

Does anyone know if they offer weekend interview dates throughout the whole cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.