2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd let everybody know that my husband (who's applied here) just called and found out that the last interview invites go out this Monday.

Soo... Does anyone know if its possible to be pulled off the waitlist prior to May 15? Or does Loyola only move after that date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola didn't touch the waitlist before or after May 15th last year...
That's because 43% of accepted students matriculated. While last year they accepted 366, they plan on accepting ~20 less this year. So this year waitlist movement odds are better, but I can't imagine them touching the waitlist before May 15th.

Just thought I'd let everybody know that my husband (who's applied here) just called and found out that the last interview invites go out this Monday.

ah thank you. I thought I was rejected today... lol there is still a chance...tiny chance.:rolleyes:

Enjoyed my interview day at Stritch very much. Hoping for some good news in a few weeks!

Just went from "currently being reviewed" to "has been reviewed"....wasn't holding out a whole lot of hope for Loyola but now I'm pretty sure that this is a kiss of death update (given the time of year, at least). :shrug: I guess this is where you and I part ways, Loyola.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you!! :)

Withdrew my acceptance here today - decided I'm definitely done with the midwest and headed back East :)

Does anyone else still have a "your file is currently being reviewed" status? I figure I'm not getting an interview at this point, but am a little confused because when I called admissions they mentioned I could hear into early march about invites...but my status says end of February. Holding onto the last strands of unrealistic hope:)

does anyone else still have a "your file is currently being reviewed" status? I figure i'm not getting an interview at this point, but am a little confused because when i called admissions they mentioned i could hear into early march about invites...but my status says end of february. Holding onto the last strands of unrealistic hope:)
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else still have a "your file is currently being reviewed" status? I figure I'm not getting an interview at this point, but am a little confused because when I called admissions they mentioned I could hear into early march about invites...but my status says end of February. Holding onto the last strands of unrealistic hope:)

I'm in the same boat as well

Just gave up my interview here...:( I would have loved to check this school out, but I'm going to be stuck at work and I've already taken a bunch of days off, plus it was going to cost me upwards of $500 bucks just to fly out and spend a night...I've got a few other acceptances already so here's to hoping Loyola goes to one of you guys! IF ONLY THEY WOULD HAVE OFFERED IT TO ME EARLIER IN THE SEASON!!!

So, I have my interview here this weekend, and I'm a little worried about being asked ethical questions. It being a jesuit school and all, I just feel as though those are the kinds of questions I'll be asked. I haven't been asked any ethical questions in any interviews, so it's just a little nerve racking to think about and try to prepare for. I'm just wondering if a few people can say a few words about their interview experience, if they were asked these kinds of questions, and how they went about answering them. Thanks!

So, I have my interview here this weekend, and I'm a little worried about being asked ethical questions. It being a jesuit school and all, I just feel as though those are the kinds of questions I'll be asked. I haven't been asked any ethical questions in any interviews, so it's just a little nerve racking to think about and try to prepare for. I'm just wondering if a few people can say a few words about their interview experience, if they were asked these kinds of questions, and how they went about answering them. Thanks!

My interview was solely based on my application, why I want to attend Loyola, and why I want to be a physician. Any other questions were regarding me, as a person. Those I simply answered naturally and honestly. No different than any "typical" interview. It's two faculty interviews, if you didn't know.

These might come up and if they do DON'T PANIC. As in all ethic situations always keep patient autonomy in the forefront of discussion. While you are at it throw in the other three medical ethics buzzwords (non-maleficence, justice and beneficence) and you are golden. If you don't know what those mean------> wikipedia.com. Don't just throw the words around though, make sure to appropriately apply the principles to whatever situation you might be presented. I like using the four to guide my conversation and keep my thoughts organized. To each his own though.

All in all it just really depends who you get.

Of all my interviews I have to say that my faculty interview at Loyola was the hardest I've had. The interviews are longer at Loyola (I think they were more like 45 minutes or so) and my faculty interviewer asked me about how I "marry science and religion" and how evolution fits into religious perspective and about how to deal with cases involving taking someone off a ventilator. The latter question there ended up being his way of finding out whether I would be ethically/morally opposed to taking someone off a ventilator.

It was by far the weirdest interview and I didn't know how theological I could go (because he hadn't told me yet that he had gone to Notre Dame and knew all the theology I would have thrown at him) or really what he was looking for but in the end it ended up being a pretty decent interview even if I was asked the weirdest questions.

Personally I prefer "more formal" interviews as opposed to short extremely informal interviews because I think the applicant can really sell themselves more but Loyola had a nice informal feel even if the questions were not so informal.

Either way, I was accepted so I couldn't have bombed the questions that badly. Good luck!

My interview was solely based on my application, why I want to attend Loyola, and why I want to be a physician. Any other questions were regarding me, as a person. Those I simply answered naturally and honestly. No different than any "typical" interview. It's two faculty interviews, if you didn't know.

Same (as far as content is concerned), but I had a student interviewer.

Thanks everyone for yoru thoughts and experiences! I really appreciate it. And yeah kezuwftw that would be a really awkward interview for me. I'm not particularly religious, so being asked how to marry religion and science will be a difficult leap for me. I'll keep everything you all said in mind and just do the best I can. Thanks again!

Yup, I had the standard informal interviews here too. No ethical, or religion vs science type of questions. They were both very nice and seemed more interested in my personal and family background, and my ECs.

Good luck!

Of all my interviews I have to say that my faculty interview at Loyola was the hardest I've had. The interviews are longer at Loyola (I think they were more like 45 minutes or so) and my faculty interviewer asked me about how I "marry science and religion" and how evolution fits into religious perspective and about how to deal with cases involving taking someone off a ventilator. The latter question there ended up being his way of finding out whether I would be ethically/morally opposed to taking someone off a ventilator.

It was by far the weirdest interview and I didn't know how theological I could go (because he hadn't told me yet that he had gone to Notre Dame and knew all the theology I would have thrown at him) or really what he was looking for but in the end it ended up being a pretty decent interview even if I was asked the weirdest questions.

Personally I prefer "more formal" interviews as opposed to short extremely informal interviews because I think the applicant can really sell themselves more but Loyola had a nice informal feel even if the questions were not so informal.

Either way, I was accepted so I couldn't have bombed the questions that badly. Good luck!

Did you talk a lot about religion in your PS or application?

Did you talk a lot about religion in your PS or application?

Umm...not extensively. I was really involved with campus ministry and served multiple officer positions during undergrad and talked about that but not the religious part of it...more the leadership and social aspects.

Umm...not extensively. I was really involved with campus ministry and served multiple officer positions during undergrad and talked about that but not the religious part of it...more the leadership and social aspects.

I wasn't trying to be nosy just was wondering why they might have asked those types of questions. My interview mainly went over my app so I assumed that is why you had those questions.

I wasn't trying to be nosy just was wondering why they might have asked those types of questions. My interview mainly went over my app so I assumed that is why you had those questions.

Yeah I don't know. Maybe my interviewer was just on his own agenda. My student interview was definitely more just going over my app oh and we talked about Zumba! :)

Yeah I don't know. Maybe my interviewer was just on his own agenda. My student interview was definitely more just going over my app oh and we talked about Zumba! :)

Ouch you have to love a rogue interviewer...congrats on the acceptance!

I, too, had a whole discussion with my interviewer concerning end of life care. It began with him laying out a situation and asking what I would do. Every time I answered he would take it a step further. By the time my interview was over, a ton of systemic and social issues were on the table. Although challenging, it was a great conversation. He gave a lot of insight into some of these incredibly difficult decisions he makes on a daily basis as a pulmonary critical care surgeon. My best advice: be confident yet humble enough to admit you don't always have the right answers.

I, too, had a whole discussion with my interviewer concerning end of life care. It began with him laying out a situation and asking what I would do. Every time I answered he would take it a step further. By the time my interview was over, a ton of systemic and social issues were on the table. Although challenging, it was a great conversation. He gave a lot of insight into some of these incredibly difficult decisions he makes on a daily basis as a pulmonary critical care surgeon. My best advice: be confident yet humble enough to admit you don't always have the right answers.
That sounds like a great discussion, and it's likely to be had in any interview for med school (I had something very similar at another school). My Loyola interview was probably my favorite, and we spent most of the time talking about my childhood and family.

are they done issuing ii? Have.heard.nothing. For months.

are they done issuing ii? Have.heard.nothing. For months.

I called them last week and they said the last invites would go out on Mar. 5. My online status says I'm still under review (they're messing with our minds!!!! :eek: ), but I'm pretty sure they're done interviewing :(

Interviewed at Loyola today and I absolutely loved it! The facilities are amazing, the admissions staff were amazing and the opportunities I learned about made me so excited! I really hope I get good news in the 19th! :D

I called them last week and they said the last invites would go out on Mar. 5. My online status says I'm still under review (they're messing with our minds!!!! :eek: ), but I'm pretty sure they're done interviewing :(

Yeah, I've pretty much abandoned all hope for an ii from Loyola. Hopefully they let us down easy...and soon!

Interviewed at Loyola today and I absolutely loved it! The facilities are amazing, the admissions staff were amazing and the opportunities I learned about made me so excited! I really hope I get good news in the 19th! :D

Glad it went well! I know you were a bit concerned about the emphasis on religion. I didn't have that experience at all when I interviewed - just amazing people who really seemed to care about the medical students, the community and having a balanced life.

What did you love about it?

Glad it went well! I know you were a bit concerned about the emphasis on religion. I didn't have that experience at all when I interviewed - just amazing people who really seemed to care about the medical students, the community and having a balanced life.

What did you love about it?

I got the same feeling. The people there, from students to the dean, obviously cared about medicine and service and that is really important to me. Also, the dean took the time to have a talk with everyone which I didn't see at any other school. I just know that, if accepted, I'll feel like a part of a family (cliche but true). And the facilities aren't bad either! :) overall it just felt "good" there, if you know what I mean.

Hey guys

for M1s and M2s, I was just wondering which apartment complexes I should start looking into that med student live in?
IF you could post some links that would be awesome!!!

Starting to get anxious about hearing from Loyola next week. Really hoping for good news...

Has anyone heard anything regarding the second look, or know when we might receive an "official" email about it? I know the date (April 12), but that's about it...

So I interviewed Feb. 16th, and I could have sworn I heard them say that they would be making decisions on our applications on March 4th. Came back from spring break to an empty mailbox and my status page doesn't work (has said not defined since day 1). Did I have the adcom meeting date wrong? When will it actually be? And if they don't make a decision at that meeting, do they email you to tell you that you are still under review? Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything regarding the second look, or know when we might receive an "official" email about it? I know the date (April 12), but that's about it...

On January 25th I received the official email from Loyola about their "Second Visit Day". Maybe it ended up in your spam or you passed over it in your inbox? It was sent to all accepted applicants, as I know you are. Here's what it said:

On behalf of the Administration, Faculty, and Staff of Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, we would like you to keep Friday, April 12, 2013 open on your calendars for the Second Visit Program at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. You are invited to bring up to 3 guests with you on that day to get another feel for life at Stritch. A more detailed agenda and information packet will be sent out to you within the next few weeks.

I don't believe I've received the information packet yet. Should arrive very soon though.

So I interviewed Feb. 16th, and I could have sworn I heard them say that they would be making decisions on our applications on March 4th. Came back from spring break to an empty mailbox and my status page doesn't work (has said not defined since day 1). Did I have the adcom meeting date wrong? When will it actually be? And if they don't make a decision at that meeting, do they email you to tell you that you are still under review? Thanks!

I know that they are having an adcom meeting on March 18th. It does seem weird tho that they wouldn't have 1 between Feb 16th and March 18th... I would call and tell them you thought decisions would be made on this date and you haven't heard anything. They are super recpetive and I'm sure they would undertstand your anxiety.

Last edited:
I did get the letter today. Alternate list. I'm bummed, and I doubt there will be any movement (none last year). Anyone ever see waitlist movement pre-May 15th?

EDIT: Are they receptive to LOIs?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I want to apply here. Can anyone offer up honestly what the area is like from experience or interviews. Im from the west coast, if anyone can provide insight about what the community, campus environment and city is like it would be much appreciated! thanks!

Hey guys,

I want to apply here. Can anyone offer up honestly what the area is like from experience or interviews. Im from the west coast, if anyone can provide insight about what the community, campus environment and city is like it would be much appreciated! thanks!

Hey I'm from the Best Coast as well. If you go back to one of the early pages have a post that goes into this sort of thing. Sorry to just point you in a direction but First Aid is staring me in the face right now... :scared:

On January 25th I received the official email from Loyola about their "Second Visit Day"...

I don't believe I've received the information packet yet. Should arrive very soon though.

Thanks, pachewisc. I remember getting that email...I guess we're all still just waiting for that info packet! :)

EDIT: Aaannd shortly after posting this, I received an email from Loyola about the second look. Slightly freaky? Yes. But efficient. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, pachewisc. I remember getting that email...I guess we're all still just waiting for that info packet! :)

EDIT: Aaannd shortly after posting this, I received an email from Loyola about the second look. Slightly freaky? Yes. But efficient. ;)

Got that same email and it had a link to more info. When I went to the web page it said "coming soon" so I guess we'll have to wait a while longer haha

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to Stritch, can't wait to begin! It's been my top choice all along, having come from Loyola's undergrad in Chicago. I interviewed Feb 6. The Admission Committee met March 4 to discuss our files. I received a phone call that night and the following day (missed the first one). I received a letter in the mail yesterday (March 11). Today I received an email regarding the Second Look Day, an official invite + RSVP. We can bring up to 3 guests. It's scheduled for April 12. Hope this helps & best of luck to all of you!

Does everyone plan to bring family if they're coming in from out of state?

Status
Not open for further replies.