Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you find out about the single or double spaced?

I did single spaced and received an II here, but I think they probably care more about content than length.. mine weren't full one-pagers, more like 3/4 of a page for each.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, really? Okay in that case, I guess I'll wait a little more before calling. Maybe in a few days or so they'll have that checked off.

I called admissions office today (haven't received a complete email and submitted 7/5 missing LORs which I submitted a few days after) and they are backed up with orientation this week so we should be seeing complete emails sometime today with more reviews next week as the director was out for a couple of days. So fingers crossed!

There is no way to check your status on the website, correct? After submission of secondary and LOR we are just waiting for an email?

Sent from my LG-D950 using SDN mobile

There is no way to check your status on the website, correct? After submission of secondary and LOR we are just waiting for an email?

Doesn't seem so. I submitted about two weeks ago, and never received a "submitted" email, nor have they informed me of it being completed yet. I emailed them on Monday asking if it was all in order, and haven't heard back. Thinking about calling them on Monday if still no response. I'm sure they're swamped with emails at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you doing it through your undergrad? I've been out of school for 3 years so idk where I would schedule one

I would see if the person who is writing you a letter of recommendation would be willing to do a mock interview with you. This has the added benefit that should you have to reapply they would be able to write you a new letter with all the stuff they learned about you.

I called admissions office today (haven't received a complete email and submitted 7/5 missing LORs which I submitted a few days after) and they are backed up with orientation this week so we should be seeing complete emails sometime today with more reviews next week as the director was out for a couple of days. So fingers crossed!
Ahh, okay thanks so much for the info. Indeed, fingers crossed for some good news soon! :)

Does this school call or email for IIs?

I guess this question is geared towards current students or anyone who has lived in Dothan. What are some of the things to do in Dothan or that you enjoy the most about the area? Also what types of outdoor recreational opportunities are available? Are there a lot of lakes, hiking trails, or parks nearby? Just trying to get a feel for the city. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if you got the complete email today, but admissions sent me one today.
Secondary received email= 7/15 and complete email 7/25.

Ahh, okay thanks so much for the info. Indeed, fingers crossed for some good news soon! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any newly verified people receive a secondary from here yet? I have yet to hear back since submitting my primary last week, sorry for the impatience haha.

I also received one today, however it says they haven't received any of my LORs. AACOMAS says they sent them almost a month ago. Strange.

I also received one today, however it says they haven't received any of my LORs. AACOMAS says they sent them almost a month ago. Strange.
I got one too saying they had my premed committee and my do letter but not my two science letters...but it came with my premed committee letter

I fired off an email asking about that same thing. I'm thinking it might be because of a lack of signature/letterhead. From what I understand, Alabama is fairly strict about that.

I fired off an email asking about that same thing. I'm thinking it might be because of a lack of signature/letterhead. From what I understand, Alabama is fairly strict about that.

Perhaps. I emailed ACOM and hopefully will hear back soon about the source of the issue. If it's signature/letterhead, it won't be difficult to correct.

II!!! Ahh tentatively scheduled for Aug 12!

So I am getting confusing emails.... One said my secondary was complete. This was not true. After submitting my secondary and inquiring about its status, I received an email today saying my app was saved...?

Thanks! Submitted 7/5, complete yesterday

Did you receive an email regarding being complete? When you submitted the secondary did you create an account so you can check on your application?

II here as well. Submitted 7/22, completed yesterday.

II here as well. Submitted 7/22, completed yesterday.

Did you receive an email about being complete? If so, what did it say? I received a very puzzling email today asking me to sign in to their secondary application website and finish my application... I never created an account, but paid my fee and submitted my essays...

I received the complete email yesterday. It said that my LOR, secondary, fee and essays were received and they would be in contact regarding possible interviews within 3 weeks.

The email you got is strange. One of the few schools where they update you solely via email. I never created an account, just followed the link they gave me. Maybe you forgot to fill out a part of the secondary?

Finally got that complete email! :)

Did you receive an email regarding being complete? When you submitted the secondary did you create an account so you can check on your application?
Yes I received a complete email and no after submitting I believe there's no way to get an account, all correspondence is through email

They actually did not send me a complete email, just a "missing document" email, which is weird because I submitted all my letters and everything through AACOMAS so I assumed they'd get everything. Didn't have this issue last time I applied. They said I was missing a second science faculty letter (which shouldn't be missing since I do have one submitted) and an advisor/committee letter. My college did not have an advisor/committee, so I don't know what to do... I called a few days ago and left a message wanting to speak to someone about my status but haven't gotten a call back yet.

They actually did not send me a complete email, just a "missing document" email, which is weird because I submitted all my letters and everything through AACOMAS so I assumed they'd get everything. Didn't have this issue last time I applied. They said I was missing a second science faculty letter (which shouldn't be missing since I do have one submitted) and an advisor/committee letter. My college did not have an advisor/committee, so I don't know what to do... I called a few days ago and left a message wanting to speak to someone about my status but haven't gotten a call back yet.

Call early. Don't fall through the cracks! If i was in your position i would be calling 3x per day (one as soon as office opens; once at noon; once at 4 or hour before they close)

Call early. Don't fall through the cracks! If i was in your position i would be calling 3x per day (one as soon as office opens; once at noon; once at 4 or hour before they close)
For sure; I'll be calling tomorrow again to see what's going on. Thank you! :) Hopefully issue will be resolved soon.

Same thing happened with me. Called today and they fixed it.
Actually, do you mind sharing which phone # you called? I called last and I reached a woman's voicemail, not sure if there's some other number. This is the # I called: (334) 699-2266.

Actually, do you mind sharing which phone # you called? I called last and I reached a woman's voicemail, not sure if there's some other number. This is the # I called: (334) 699-2266.
I called that number and it told me to click 2 for admissions

One week until I'm flying out to PCB and driving into Dothan...!!! It's creeping up fast.

Turns out one of my letters is missing a signature... they were able to call the writer and confirm... will probably cause more trouble in the future. Oh well!

Turns out one of my letters is missing a signature... they were able to call the writer and confirm... will probably cause more trouble in the future. Oh well!
Same thing happened to me and I submitted through AACOMAS. Also said they were missing my MCAT scores. Received an email 2 days before the missing documents email that said they had received my supplemental, but I've not been asked to complete one. Finally got through today and they corrected my file. Hopefully I will get a secondary request soon.

What happens if it is not on letterhead? I've had my LORs for a while and I'm afraid they might not be. They wouldn't not accept me b/c of that right, just tell me to send a new one if it does end up being a problem?

I imagine they just won't give you an interview. My application was put on hold for not being signed.

Yeah I am pretty sure that without the signature, your LOR/file will not be marked complete

One of my letters was not signed. I called, found out about it from admissions. They called the letter writer and verified it. Now I am complete.

One of my letters was not signed. I called, found out about it from admissions. They called the letter writer and verified it. Now I am complete.

Did you get some indication that it was not that prompted you to call?