Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys have access to a portal of any kind where you can see your status or anything? All I have is the login for the interview scheduler.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have access to a portal of any kind where you can see your status or anything? All I have is the login for the interview scheduler.
It doesn't matter now. After your II, the status on your page won't change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 7/6, secondary received 7/11. Jealous of everyone with interviews already. Good luck and let us know all you can!

Reactions: 1 users
After you complete your secondary, how long does it take to get verified? And do they email you with a verification?

I submitted my secondary 7/4, complete 7/6, II 7/7
Edit: they email you once they receive your secondary and again once you're complete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After you complete your secondary, how long does it take to get verified? And do they email you with a verification?
Verified as in, complete and under review? I submitted my supplemental June 21 and got the complete email June 29.

Don't forget your passports/birth certificates on interview day! I'm so happy I looked just now- my passport expired last month!

Don't forget your passports/birth certificates on interview day! I'm so happy I looked just now- my passport expired last month!
Talking about for international students?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Talking about for international students?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

All students, apparently. I'm not sure how strict this policy is, but it is included in the instructions. Expedited processing for passports is $60 on top of the $140 fee for renewal. I found that my home state (FL) will send me a birth certificate for $31 delivered in 7-10 days...

After we submit the secondary, are we expected to receive a secondary received email followed by a complete email/under review email when they have all of our letters and secondary?

After we submit the secondary, are we expected to receive a secondary received email followed by a complete email/under review email when they have all of our letters and secondary?
yup

Part of the identification process requires applicants to bring either a passport or birth certificate.
For ACOM? Are you serious? Do you still have to submit a picture with AACOMAS? I'm guessing someone tried to pass as a different person for an interview last year. I'm applying to residency and they aren't that strict, even the AOA will let you use your driver's license. Are they the only school doing this?

For ACOM? Are you serious? Do you still have to submit a picture with AACOMAS? I'm guessing someone tried to pass as a different person for an interview last year. I'm applying to residency and they aren't that strict, even the AOA will let you use your driver's license. Are they the only school doing this?
I'm not sure, but I don't think that it's too much to ask.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that it's too much to ask.

I'm just saying a state issued driver's license or a copy (xerox) of your birth certificate should be plenty. My birth certificate is like paper mache at this point and not everyone has a passport. I just think it creates extra stress on applicants and doesn't truly provide any extra layer of security.

I think they are asking to see a passport to check for US resident/citizen status. They don't accept international students, therefore, the passport. On the other hand, a driver's license is much easier to forge than a passport. But yes, I agree that it does create stress for students who do not have a passport or a birth certificate that is "paper mache" quality lol

This school is my top choice! When do you think more II will be sent out?!

I think soon! Perhaps tomorrow since they came out last Thursday?

I'm just saying a state issued driver's license or a copy (xerox) of your birth certificate should be plenty. My birth certificate is like paper mache at this point and not everyone has a passport. I just think it creates extra stress on applicants and doesn't truly provide any extra layer of security.

You should give them a call. The policy might not be that strict, and they might offer you an alternative to the passport/birth certificate requirement.

If you get the app genius scan, you can take a picture of it and it turns into into a high quality scan you can email to the school.

Any OMS student at ACOM? I have a few questions.
What do you like about your school?
How the curriculum present itself to you?

You should give them a call. The policy might not be that strict, and they might offer you an alternative to the passport/birth certificate requirement.

I'm already a student, I just thought the policy was bit much. If they will let you bring a copy, then no big deal.

A lot of things have changed after our class began clinicals last year and curriculum has changed a great deal from what I understand, so I will let someone else comment on that. To me the clinical experiences have been good, many of us have gotten to do a lot of hands on learning and performed a lot of procedures. I do feel like we are lacking in conferences and team medicine though, so that will take some getting used to while on auditions this fall. The one-on-one relationship with attendings is nice, but you don't get as much time to think about your patient, you literally walk out of a room and present to the person who will be grading you every time.

Reactions: 2 users

Third year reporting.. I haven't gone on clinical's yet (Next week!! :D) so I will defer to the person above me for those questions.
Personally, I believe our OMM department is extremely strong and you will have a very good understanding of body mechanics and techniques from attending ACOM. It was one of the reasons I chose to come to ACOM and they definitely met and surpassed my expectations when it came to OMM. The curriculum has changed slightly since they have introduced TBL (Team Based Learning) activities but nothing has really changed since I left a couple months ago. Every week or every other week you will be paired off with your assigned team to tackle a in class quiz and then answer some more challenging questions with the professor in a large group. I enjoyed these activities because it helped solidify my knowledge of more difficult topics, plus it gave me a peek at how some professors were going to be writing their questions for the exam.

The remainder of the curriculum is really based on how much time you put into it. It is built with most learning styles in mind and not just one specific style. With mandatory in class lectures, then lectures which only require 80% attendance at, DSA's (do at home assignments), TBL's, and IS's (review sessions of the DSA's) I felt well prepared when it came to my exams.

If you have further questions just let me know and I will be glad to answer.

@chemicalbull how many hours a day would you say you were in class? Bummed about the mandatory lectures.

@chemicalbull how many hours a day would you say you were in class? Bummed about the mandatory lectures.

It really depended on the day. You will probably be in class most often during that first semester when you have Anatomy and Molecular Medicine. I will say on average we had class 8am until noon. Then the afternoons varied based on what labs/opp group you were in. Here are two sample weeks I pulled from before.

This is from our Repro Course (2nd year) which will show one of the lighter weeks.
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 2.45.54 PM.png

This is from first semester, one of the heavier weeks:
Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 2.46.56 PM.png

hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I didn't have to wait three whole weeks for my interview. I am so excited weeeeee!

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this was asked already, but approx. how long after the supplemental received email & letters of rec submitted already, did you receive the complete email saying your app is under review?

Sorry if this was asked already, but approx. how long after the supplemental received email & letter submitted already, did you receive the complete email saying your app is under review?

I got the complete email 2 days after I submitted my secondary.

I just spent a miserable 3 hours suit shopping
I suppose ladies' suits don't have the same "allure" as men's suits. I went suit shopping today but I was only disappointed by the fact that I dont have enough money to buy a nice one!

Last edited:
I suppose ladies' suits don't have the same "allure" as men's suits. I went suit shopping today but I was only disappointed by the fact that I dont have enough money to buy a nice one!
Yeah for women it's definitely not as fun lol

I order a whole custom suit from asia just for this interview lol.

I'd be supperrr careful cause you could be paying for the same price as places like Suit Supply or Indochino, but the Asian quality can be terrible. Check out those sites, you can probably get some good deals. Normally they're alittle expensive for general pre-med. But I think med school interview is high scale enough to warrant a beautiful suits. I'm Asian and I have a smaller body frame so I go to Indochino and had mine tailored to fit, it was expensive but it was the best decision ever because I'm sure that suit will last me for years!

My personal absolute favorite store is Suit Supply. I died every time I walk passed the store. Life goals is to never wear scrubs unless I have to when I become a doctor lol :p

Ladies, go to New York and Company. My friend found great suits for great prices.

I order a whole custom suit from asia just for this interview lol.
Beware of polyester! I tried one on just for kicks and I was sweating pretty much immediately (California too = far less humid than AL).

I'd be supperrr careful cause you could be paying for the same price as places like Suit Supply or Indochino, but the Asian quality can be terrible. Check out those sites, you can probably get some good deals. Normally they're alittle expensive for general pre-med. But I think med school interview is high scale enough to warrant a beautiful suits. I'm Asian and I have a smaller body frame so I go to Indochino and had mine tailored to fit, it was expensive but it was the best decision ever because I'm sure that suit will last me for years!

My personal absolute favorite store is Suit Supply. I died every time I walk passed the store. Life goals is to never wear scrubs unless I have to when I become a doctor lol :p

Ladies, go to New York and Company. My friend found great suits for great prices.

Banana Republic is a good place too. I got mine for ~55, jacket and pants

Hey guys, how soon after having your application verified did you get a secondary from ACOM? My application was verified on 7/12 and I still have not received a secondary. I have received some secondaries from other universities.