Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My application and letters of recommendation were submitted on 9/22. What is turnaround like for NSU for review and extension of interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my interview so that should open up a spot for someone on 11/4! Good luck to all applying :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was told by a current student that the attendance policy that was nonexistent in the past has now been reinstated. Can current students confirm how this affects them? (preferably the 2nd years)

There seems to be a long time (1-2 months) of zero interview invitations given out by nova now. Was this also the case last year?

Reactions: 2 users
I was told by a current student that the attendance policy that was nonexistent in the past has now been reinstated. Can current students confirm how this affects them? (preferably the 2nd years)

The attendance policy was reinstated to 70% mandatory attendance in all lectures, but everyone was so pissed that it was withdrawn under the condition that they make OPP lectures mandatory (it wasn't mandatory when we were M1s). That's the only real change for us.

For the M1s, Histology lecture now has what they call 'expected attendance' meaning the professor will randomly take attendance and this will factor into the final grade. Their OPP lectures are also mandatory like ours, in addition to Physical Diagnosis lectures. All the other classes that are mandatory- like Foundations, Humanism, Tobacco stuff- has always been mandatory so there's no change there. Physio/anatomy/biochem lecture attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory. Anatomy lab, OPP lab, and Physical Diagnosis lab have always been mandatory, and histology lab has 'expected attendance'.

It hasn't really affected me. OPP lectures are only 1-2 hours per week so it's not that bad. And I would rather have mandatory OPP lecture over having everything being mandatory, any day.

The attendance policy was reinstated to 70% mandatory attendance in all lectures, but everyone was so pissed that it was withdrawn under the condition that they make OPP lectures mandatory (it wasn't mandatory when we were M1s). That's the only real change for us.

For the M1s, Histology lecture now has what they call 'expected attendance' meaning the professor will randomly take attendance and this will factor into the final grade. Their OPP lectures are also mandatory like ours, in addition to Physical Diagnosis lectures. All the other classes that are mandatory- like Foundations, Humanism, Tobacco stuff- has always been mandatory so there's no change there. Physio/anatomy/biochem lecture attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory. Anatomy lab, OPP lab, and Physical Diagnosis lab have always been mandatory, and histology lab has 'expected attendance'.

It hasn't really affected me. OPP lectures are only 1-2 hours per week so it's not that bad. And I would rather have mandatory OPP lecture over having everything being mandatory, any day.

Hey I was interested in this school and I was wondering what made you decide to attend this school over other D.O. schools?

would you mind sharing when you were complete and the general interview dates that are available? Are the offering dates like november/december or are the date for way after the new year?

Reactions: 1 user
would you mind sharing when you were complete and the general interview dates that are available? Are the offering dates like november/december or are the date for way after the new year?
Sure, I was complete mid September. The dates were either in early november or mid december

Hey I was interested in this school and I was wondering what made you decide to attend this school over other D.O. schools?

It was mostly the vibe I got from the school and the current students when I interviewed. I got into AZCOM but decided not to attend there even though it's way closer to my home state. I felt kind of out of place when I interviewed there. Nova feels more like home.

Hey everyone,
I submitted by secondary 10/23 along with the required letters. My stats are 4.00, 3.96, 24. Do you think I have a shot at Nova? (I am still currently finishing my degree along with a few pre-reqs).

Also, approx. how long did it take you guys to here back regarding an II after submitting your secondary? It looks like it has been taking a while now.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I submitted by secondary 10/23 along with the required letters. My stats are 4.00, 3.96, 24. Do you think I have a shot at Nova? (I am still currently finishing my degree along with a few pre-reqs).

Also, approx. how long did it take you guys to here back regarding an II after submitting your secondary? It looks like it has been taking a while now.

Thanks so much!

My stats are essentially identical to yours (3.92c/ 3.92s/ 24). I submitted my secondary 9/22 and haven't heard a word yet.

My stats are essentially identical to yours (3.92c/ 3.92s/ 24). I submitted my secondary 9/22 and haven't heard a word yet.
Ok maybe they are just a little behind? I'm sure they are receiving many apps lol

^Out of curiosity towards the above 2 posters: Any idea why there is such a huge discrepancy between your flawless GPA's but poor MCAT scores?

I attribute my poor MCAT to poor resources. I attempted to cover all the subjects on my own over 6 weeks, nearly two years after taking my core classes (physics, ochem, gen chem etc). I guess you can say I tried to "wing it"-- did not work out well, as my scores showed. If I had the money I would have paid for a prep course. I feel I could do significantly better with the proper preparatory course.

^Out of curiosity towards the above 2 posters: Any idea why there is such a huge discrepancy between your flawless GPA's but poor MCAT scores?

I attribute my poor MCAT to poor resources. I attempted to cover all the subjects on my own over 6 weeks, nearly two years after taking my core classes (physics, ochem, gen chem etc). I guess you can say I tried to "wing it"-- did not work out well, as my scores showed. If I had the money I would have paid for a prep course. I feel I could do significantly better with the proper preparatory course.

Fair enough, I was just curious since i see this often on the forums.

A piece of advice would be to have a slightly better answer prepared just in case an interviewer asks you. I had an interviewer ask how I prepared for the mcat and such. Saying you need a prep course may not be the best approach either IMO, and citing financial impediments as well may come off badly etc.

Fair enough, I was just curious since i see this often on the forums.

A piece of advice would be to have a slightly better answer prepared just in case an interviewer asks you. I had an interviewer ask how I prepared for the mcat and such. Saying you need a prep course may not be the best approach either IMO, and citing financial impediments as well may come off badly etc.

True. Nobody is more perturbed by the pedestrian MCAT than I. Financial impediments were a significant factor as a full time student, husband and father to two little ones. In hindsight, I should have taken out a student loan to foot the cost of such a program.

Complete 9/23 and haven't heard anything. You think this means rejection?

I am in the same boat haha. I was complete 9/24. I haven't heard back from NSU yet. The fear of "silent rejections" is ever so increasing. To anyone here currently at NSU or has a good idea about the ADCOM at NSU, are there silent rejections or should I still keep my hopes up and stretch my patience longer?

I am in the same boat haha. I was complete 9/24. I haven't heard back from NSU yet. The fear of "silent rejections" is ever so increasing. To anyone here currently at NSU or has a good idea about the ADCOM at NSU, are there silent rejections or should I still keep my hopes up and stretch my patience longer?

+1. I have been complete since 9/11 and haven't heard a thing since.

+1. I have been complete since 9/11 and haven't heard a thing since.

No silent rejections from what I know. The further you're complete from June, the longer and longer it'll take med schools to get back. This is especially true for Nova.

There seems to be a long time (1-2 months) of zero interview invitations given out by nova now. Was this also the case last year?

People are getting interviews, they just don't post on SDN.

I've been complete since mid-July and still no correspondence. All this waiting :confused:

True. Nobody is more perturbed by the pedestrian MCAT than I. Financial impediments were a significant factor as a full time student, husband and father to two little ones. In hindsight, I should have taken out a student loan to foot the cost of such a program.
you can get the practice tests, books, and video reviews for about $300. I know of several people who got all that material for free from friends.

Complete mid-Sep and haven't heard anything. :(

I give you guys a lot of credit for keeping your sanity this long...I've only been complete since 10/13 and I'm already going nuts waiting.

What are you stats? How would you say your ECs are?

cGPA/sGPA 3.3, MCAT 35 (up from 32 when app was originally submitted), almost 1000 hours combined of clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Already got into several other schools, so I imagine the ECs are fine...

Also, anyone know how to go about sending Nova an update letter?

Interviewed

Last edited:
ii, OOS!

Does anyone know the interview style? Is it blind? And was it generally relaxed and conversational?

ii, OOS!

Does anyone know the interview style? Is it blind? And was it generally relaxed and conversational?
Nice. When were you complete and stats, if you don't mind?

Guys quick question,

The secondary application asks me about work and volunteer experience. Its the same stuff that is in my primary application. Do I just copy it over?

I received my acceptance letter two days ago to NSU Fort Lauderdale. I never had an interview, they just emailed me with a congratulatory letter and gave me some steps to follow to finish the process. Best of luck to everyone!

I received my acceptance letter two days ago to NSU Fort Lauderdale. I never had an interview, they just emailed me with a congratulatory letter and gave me some steps to follow to finish the process. Best of luck to everyone!

CONGRATS!!!

Do they typically not interview?? If you don't mind me asking what were your stats, when were you complete, and are you OOS?

Just wondering... but your "status" says pre-physical therapy... were you accepted for that program or the college of osteopathic medicine? Either way, congratulations! :D

Thank you, I think they interview on a case by case basis. I submitted my application the beginning of September and my stats are: 3.78 gpa, 3.54 pre-req, 158V 158Q 4.5AW. I'm currently finishing my degree this semester and I still have one more pre-req of physics to go. They seem to be understanding when it comes to those things. In my acceptance letter it states I have to finish physics with at least a C.

@mamit1001 haha wow, blond moment of the day! For some reason I thought this was a PT forum. Well ignore my post and good luck to you guys in Med School :)

Reactions: 4 users
@mamit1001 haha wow, blond moment of the day! For some reason I thought this was a PT forum. Well ignore my post and good luck to you guys in Med School :)

No worries! It would just confuse a lot of people who are waiting on interviews/acceptances so I just wanted to check haha. Good luck in PT school though!

Sooo, I got an email saying my application is complete and being reviewed but I never sent the secondary...

Confused.

Thank you, I think they interview on a case by case basis. I submitted my application the beginning of September and my stats are: 3.78 gpa, 3.54 pre-req, 158V 158Q 4.5AW. I'm currently finishing my degree this semester and I still have one more pre-req of physics to go. They seem to be understanding when it comes to those things. In my acceptance letter it states I have to finish physics with at least a C.
Your post doesn't belong here. Move over to pre physical therapy.

Is there a Facebook page for class of 2019?

Hopefully my info can help others, especially other non-traditional applicants.

My NSU secondary was submitted early August, but my file wasn't complete until late October. I was fortunate to receive an interview invite soon thereafter.

LizzyM - 67

Last edited: