Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for posting. I have to say that I really have appreciated Nova Southeastern and their updates. I received a call letting me know when my application was complete (~Oct 25) and a few days later (~Nov 1) saying that I should hear from them shortly with next steps. I'm a non-trad as well with slightly lower stats. I wish all schools would give me periodic updates.

Hopefully my info can help others, especially other non-traditional applicants.

My NSU secondary was submitted early August, but my file wasn't complete until late October. I was fortunate to receive an interview invite soon thereafter.

Post-Bacc sGPA ~ 4.0, MCAT 27

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for posting. I have to say that I really have appreciated Nova Southeastern and their updates. I received a call letting me know when my application was complete (~Oct 25) and a few days later (~Nov 1) saying that I should hear from them shortly with next steps. I'm a non-trad as well with slightly lower stats. I wish all schools would give me periodic updates.

They haven't given me any periodic updates besides the initial phone call...I wonder what that means.

They haven't given me any periodic updates besides the initial phone call...I wonder what that means.

same! i got the initial phone call in the beginning of september and its been quiet since..

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, I didn't hear from nova between my complete phone call at the beginning of July until my II at the beginning of September. And was then accepted at the end of October. So I wouldn't worry just yet! =]

They don't do silent rejections, right? I've been complete since late June and have not heard anything back

I wouldn't stress out about it, but I realize that may be hard for you given your sn!

It probably means your application is still being considered. Two phone calls is more than I've gotten from any of the others I've been complete at for a few weeks so was thrilled with their follow-up and it didn't feel like I was sending my application into a void.

Oh BTW nsucom said they are putting many applicants on hold early on. In the past they accepted too many early on. Doing this now instead. 500 interviews for 230 seats. Admissions going slow since the dean is out.

Oh BTW nsucom said they are putting many applicants on hold early on. In the past they accepted too many early on. Doing this now instead. 500 interviews for 230 seats. Admissions going slow since the dean is out.
By putting on hold, do you mean silently rejecting?

Hopefully my info can help others, especially other non-traditional applicants.

My NSU secondary was submitted early August, but my file wasn't complete until late October. I was fortunate to receive an interview invite soon thereafter.

Post-Bacc sGPA ~ 4.0, MCAT 27

Congrats! that was def a quick turnaround. I am also a non-trad student with a Post-Bacc sGPA - 3.8, MCAT - 30. I was complete mid September and still haven't heard back. I'm getting very anxious. Anyone else complete mid-September and haven't heard back yet, or did they completely "skip" me?

Congrats! that was def a quick turnaround. I am also a non-trad student with a Post-Bacc sGPA - 3.8, MCAT - 30. I was complete mid September and still haven't heard back. I'm getting very anxious. Anyone else complete mid-September and haven't heard back yet, or did they completely "skip" me?
you're not alone. Me too!

im a traditional student but i was complete 9/11 and havent heard so definitely not the only one

Members don't see this ad :)
There are people from summer who haven't heard a thing yet. I think those who were complete august and later, relax. Nova will get back to you at some point. They do not do silent rejections, as NekoBeats pointed out

I have been complete since late August/early September as well and haven't heard anything since the initial phone call so there are a lot of us in the same situation. 28 MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA and great letters/ECs. My problem is I have been accepted at a few other schools, so if they don't do more interviews soon-I may just rule NSU out for the time being.

FYI for all those worrying, I spoke with an admissions counselor and they are all booked up for interviews through the year. The earliest Spring interviews start January 13, 2015 but haven't opened in their system yet, so I wouldn't expect many phone calls for a while (unless people cancel). Also, as someone else mentioned, the Dean of Admissions is out until mid-November so this may affect admissions decisions.

Good luck with everyone who's still waiting to hear back about interviews/acceptances!

You have fantastic stats, especially the MCAT. I think a lot of this whole crazy admissions process boils down to luck. I have friends with "worse" stats than me yet have interview invites at other schools that I don't have. As stressful as it is, I refuse to let that dash my hope of receiving an interview invite at those schools. So please don't let my luck of getting an NSU interview invite relatively quickly cause you anxiety. It stands to good reason that you with your comparable GPA and stronger MCAT will get one too.

They are accepting 350 for the 240 seats tho. Thought I would add that clarification. So if you get an interview, you got a pretty decent shots.

I wanted to point out that at the interview they stated that they decreased the acceptances from 430 to 350 so they wouldn't overfill, but at the same time they are doing less interviews (and rolling acceptances) so an interview in 2015 doesn't equal automatic wait list like it did last year. Furthermore you are more likely to get pulled off the wait list this year than last year.

So the summary is: its harder to get an interview, but your prospects are much better this year if you do get an II than last year when more interviews went out, but more people got put on hold. 350/500 = 70% chance of acceptance. Better than average chance of getting pulled off of wait list even if you get put on it. They still probably need to send out 430 (based on last year they gave out 430, but still pulled off waiting list) acceptances to fill the 240 seats, so the wait list will get dug into.

Got a real positive vibe from the school. Seems like people are really excited to go here. Its good.

I wanted to point out that at the interview they stated that they decreased the acceptances from 430 to 350 so they wouldn't overfill, but at the same time they are doing less interviews (and rolling acceptances) so an interview in 2015 doesn't equal automatic wait list like it did last year. Furthermore you are more likely to get pulled off the wait list this year than last year.

So the summary is: its harder to get an interview, but your prospects are much better this year if you do get an II than last year when more interviews went out, but more people got put on hold. 350/500 = 70% chance of acceptance. Better than average chance of getting pulled off of wait list even if you get put on it. They still probably need to send out 430 (based on last year they gave out 430, but still pulled off waiting list) acceptances to fill the 240 seats, so the wait list will get dug into.

Got a real positive vibe from the school. Seems like people are really excited to go here. Its good.

Wow, it sounds like a lot of people must choose Nova if they are able to accept so few and still fill a class. I'm really worried I'll get put on hold because they don't think I would go there if accepted. I heard that they do this with people with higher stats who may be accepted to an MD school and choose not to attend. But I honestly really loved the school and would be glad to attend so I hope that doesn't happen to me!!!

That's interesting, the members are current M2's and M1's in SGA. I guess they decided to make one for the c/o 2019 after what happened with my class.

What happened with your class?

And yeah I recognized a few names from the student ambassadors at my interview haha. So I figured this one was created by admins/current students :D

What happened with your class?

And yeah I recognized a few names from the student ambassadors at my interview haha. So I figured this one was created by admins/current students :D

I guess the first thing that needs to be explained is that some years ago, a Nova student did some badmouthing on his class Facebook group. Their FB group was completely open to the public and anyone could join. One of the many members of the group happened to be a physician who was affiliated with one of our hospital rotations. Anyway, he saw what the student wrote on the group, got pissed, and decided to ban Nova students from rotating at his hospital. The Dean had talk to him and convince him to let us keep our spots.

With my class, there were two people who were the admins for our class Facebook group. Once M1 year started and we had elections, the SGA people were added as admins for the Facebook group too. My class is notorious for complaining and many people vented their frustrations on our Facebook group. SGA was afraid of something similar to the above happening again, so they started telling people what they should/should not post in the group. Some people thought that this was policing/censorship, including the two original admins, so they removed the SGA people from being group admins. Then they changed the name of our group to something completely random so no one outside of our school would find our group and people could post what they want. SGA had also gone through the list of group members earlier in the year so that the only people in our Facebook group were those actually in our class. Then near the end of M1 year, SGA created another class Facebook group and said that all official school/class announcements will be posted on that group and not the original one, so everyone had to also join that group. We also have an academic group that's just for class-related topics. So...my class has three Facebook groups, and to avoid any future drama, SGA probably just decided to make a c/o 2019 group :rolleyes:

I guess the first thing that needs to be explained is that some years ago, a Nova student did some badmouthing on his class Facebook group. Their FB group was completely open to the public and anyone could join. One of the many members of the group happened to be a physician who was affiliated with one of our hospital rotations. Anyway, he saw what the student wrote on the group, got pissed, and decided to ban Nova students from rotating at his hospital. The Dean had talk to him and convince him to let us keep our spots.

With my class, there were two people who were the admins for our class Facebook group. Once M1 year started and we had elections, the SGA people were added as admins for the Facebook group too. My class is notorious for complaining and many people vented their frustrations on our Facebook group. SGA was afraid of something similar to the above happening again, so they started telling people what they should/should not post in the group. Some people thought that this was policing/censorship, including the two original admins, so they removed the SGA people from being group admins. Then they changed the name of our group to something completely random so no one outside of our school would find our group and people could post what they want. SGA had also gone through the list of group members earlier in the year so that the only people in our Facebook group were those actually in our class. Then near the end of M1 year, SGA created another class Facebook group and said that all official school/class announcements will be posted on that group and not the original one, so everyone had to also join that group. We also have an academic group that's just for class-related topics. So...my class has three Facebook groups, and to avoid any future drama, SGA probably just decided to make a c/o 2019 group :rolleyes:

Makes sense haha. I've been in several groups for classes where people would bad mouth professors or TAs and yet it was a public group some people haha.

But yeah idk if they're only going to allow students who have committed to NSU into that group or just everyone accepted. I didn't request anything as of yet =P

Haha that's cute. I had the same call in July and the same "hear from them shortly with next steps". Silence since then.

It's November now :p

Makes sense haha. I've been in several groups for classes where people would bad mouth professors or TAs and yet it was a public group some people haha.

But yeah idk if they're only going to allow students who have committed to NSU into that group or just everyone accepted. I didn't request anything as of yet =P

They'll probably accept anyone who requests and then start filtering people out once the semester starts and our school has a final roster. So yeah, only people that are enrolled will be allowed to stay in the group. That's what I'd think.

ACCEPTED!!!! I'm so excited and happy!!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted too! Received a phone call today. Interviewed on 10/9. :spam:

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed and got a response in less than 6 days :) accepted! NSU rocks!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted as well! I received a phone call on Tuesday (went to voicemail as I was in the clinic), and called back the adcom multiple times before I spoke with her today. :clap::clap::clap::clap: - Going to a be a DOCTOR. hahaha jk there are like 8838932823898 other exams to pass first.

my app was completed back in the middle of Sep. Havent heard from them at all since then! :(

Damn I have to put down a deposit by Dec. 14th, and I'm still waiting on two other DO's (LECOM interview this week, and NYCOM in Jan), and a ton of other decisions from MD's. Drexel, Upstate, Buffalo, Quinnipiac - WOULD YOU PLEASE HOLLA AT ME.

Accepted as well! I received a phone call on Tuesday (went to voicemail as I was in the clinic), and called back the adcom multiple times before I spoke with her today. :clap::clap::clap::clap: - Going to a be a DOCTOR. hahaha jk there are like 8838932823898 other exams to pass first.
Congrats! Did you ever get the acceptance email or an email about how to pay the deposit, submit transcripts and other matriculation requirements? I got accepted via phone call and she said I would get an email telling me about the next steps but I haven't gotten anything :/

My email came about two days after the phone call and then I got a hard copy of everything about a week later. Congrats to everyone who got in!

long time lurker just got accepted after being interviewed on 10/30. Quick turnaround considering they said 4-8 weeks. Got the phone call but not letter or email yet so assuming it will take couple days

long time lurker just got accepted after being interviewed on 10/30. Quick turnaround considering they said 4-8 weeks. Got the phone call but not letter or email yet so assuming it will take couple days

Last edited:
Congrats! Did you ever get the acceptance email or an email about how to pay the deposit, submit transcripts and other matriculation requirements? I got accepted via phone call and she said I would get an email telling me about the next steps but I haven't gotten anything :/

Haven't received any official letterhead saying that I was accepted yet either, only the phone call. I'm assuming the email and hard copy of it all will follow shortly.

EDIT: Just received all the official documents with letterhead by email. :)

Last edited:
For those accepted: we only need to pay our deposits and sign the 3 forms to secure our seat in the class, right? We don't need to send in all our transcripts by Dec. 14th?

Anyone interview 11/6 get an acceptance yet?

Noticed someone said within ~6 days they heard a response

Accepted by phone call Nov 13!!!! Interviewed Nov 4th. 3.58 GPA, 27 MCAT, In-State.

Reactions: 4 users
Any of you all want to give advice for interviews? Got one coming up here soon