Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone sent a letter of interest/update to Touro-CA while waiting for an interview? If so, does this look desparate or is it a good thing? I have not contacted admissions since my completion on 11/1 so it would be my first contact.

Thanks for any input!

Has anyone sent a letter of interest/update to Touro-CA while waiting for an interview? If so, does this look desparate or is it a good thing? I have not contacted admissions since my completion on 11/1 so it would be my first contact.

Thanks for any input!

I think it's just a long waiting period for everyone... I've been complete since September with no word. I wouldn't worry about sending pre-interview LOI. Just my thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just a long waiting period for everyone... I've been complete since September with no word. I wouldn't worry about sending pre-interview LOI. Just my thought.
Thanks for the advice. This process certainly provides much anxiety.

Thanks for any input!
I sent a letter of update and i got interview around one week after that. you should send in a letter asap. Good Luck

I live in Washington DC and haven't recieved an interview invite. I have been complete since late July/early August. I sent a letter of interest about 1 week ago. I am going to be in San Francisco on vacation in 2 weeks. Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to prospective students dropping by for an interview pamphlet and just to look at the school? I'm not trying to get a special tour since I know they aren't on Wed, Thurs, or Fri (the days I'll be in the area), but I would love to take a look around.

I live in Washington DC and haven't recieved an interview invite. I have been complete since late July/early August. I sent a letter of interest about 1 week ago. I am going to be in San Francisco on vacation in 2 weeks. Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to prospective students dropping by for an interview pamphlet and just to look at the school? I'm not trying to get a special tour since I know they aren't on Wed, Thurs, or Fri (the days I'll be in the area), but I would love to take a look around.

I would call and ask Lynn, she's really nice and maybe you could work something out with a host student or really short tour or something. Doesn't hurt to ask and hopefully they'll recognize your extra effort/interest! :)

I received a secondary back in late-August but due to family issues, I haven't been able to complete it. I also requested a second science letter a while back but my professor hasn't written it yet, so my application has been incomplete for a few months. Does anyone know if there is a deadline to submit everything? The last few months have been a challenge and I'm still very interested in the school! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced :)

I received a secondary back in late-August but due to family issues, I haven't been able to complete it. I also requested a second science letter a while back but my professor hasn't written it yet, so my application has been incomplete for a few months. Does anyone know if there is a deadline to submit everything? The last few months have been a challenge and I'm still very interested in the school! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced :)
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014cib-76 TUCOM-CA.pdf
It is april 15th.

I went over to the Touro campus, today. Where do most students live, anyways? What's a reasonable distance to commute? Thanks

Last edited:
When I interviewed the student tour guides said most lived on Mare Island itself. Check the student life page for info on various living arrangements and hpusing for rent.

II a few days ago, gonna decline as I'm headed elsewhere. GL folks

Members don't see this ad :)
I went over to the Touro campus, today. Where do most students live, anyways? What's a reasonable distance to commute? Thanks

Most students live within 30 minutes driving distance. Usually you're going against traffic. Most ppl live in Vallejo or on Mare Island itself, or in neighboring cities like Benicia, Glen Cove, or American Canyon. Some more courageous people live in El Cerrito, Berkeley, Richmond... even SF.

Accepted and matriculation agreement submitted! So excited! Is there a facebook group for the class? Also does anyone have info on what to do (besides enjoy yourself) until June when we get our Touro e-mail address and presumably more directions?

Accepted and matriculation agreement submitted! So excited! Is there a facebook group for the class? Also does anyone have info on what to do (besides enjoy yourself) until June when we get our Touro e-mail address and presumably more directions?
Congrats to you! May I ask when you were complete and what are your stats? Still waiting here. Again, congrats. Perhaps deal with immunizations, proof of health coverage, background check.. That type of stuff until June?

Congrats! When did you interview?

Congrats to you! May I ask when you were complete and what are your stats? Still waiting here. Again, congrats. Perhaps deal with immunizations, proof of health coverage, background check.. That type of stuff until June?

Thank you! All of those sound like good ideas. I think I was more concerned with finding housing and whatnot before school. I was complete 11/21, interviewed 12/17. 33 MCAT, 3.68 cGPA 3.8 sGPA. I believe I was fortunate enough to pick up an interview spot that someone else dropped though, which likely contributed to why I interviewed so quickly. Lynn sent a message saying she had an opening on that day a week or so before that, and to call her if I wanted it. She said that she sent the same email to other students as well though, so it seemed like a pretty last minute thing.

Best of luck to you!

Got an interview invite today. First day they had available was 2/11.
submitted everything on 12/14

Mind sharing your stats and if you are OOS or IS?
I have eagerly been waiting for an II since September, ugh. Congrats to you tho!

Congrats and best of luck. Eagerly waiting here too....

II today as well for 2/11. OOS. Non-trad, 3.4c, 3.5s, 3.85 post-bacc. 29 MCAT, Paramedic/EMS for 3 years, complete mid Nov.

Hi, I am interviewing on Jan 28. Is anyone interviewing on the same day and would like to share the cost of a hotel room together? PM me please.

HEY!
A lot of students live on the island. You can get a room in a nice house for pretty cheap, and the island is really safe. A lot of people walk or bike to campus but you can drive. The parking situation is pretty good on campus (especially since the overflow lot the military owns is again open to students)

The island is pretty awesome in that some of the buildings (which you can't get to, but they are there) were built in the early 1900s and some even in the early 1800s.

That being said, a number of us live in Berkeley and Oakland. You'd be surprised how short the commute is provided you live close enough to an onramp. Avoid the 580 interchange in your commute and you'll sail to campus in 25-35 minutes. There are a few carpool groups as well for east bayers. Berkeley can sometimes take longer to commute from because of the CAL traffic before you get to the freeway.

Benicia is popular, and like 15-20 minutes away. It kind of looks like an East coast town if that's your thing. I like the outdoors so I live in Oakland to have access to the hills and parks out here.

Any questions you have I'll try to answer. I rarely get on here, but I'll try to pop on from time to time during study breaks. I love the campus, and this school. The people in our class, at least, are the exact opposite of your typical pre-med gunner stereotypes. We collaborate, work as a group to divide up objectives and tutor one another with regularity. It gives me some hope for the future of medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on attendance policies? Ive heard conflicting things. Thanks!

Most LECTURES are optional (save for many of the doctoring lectures, which are practice and experience based) but we do tend to have group work in small groups (3 of them A B and C) and smaller groups (like A1-A10) of like 5-8 people. I go to some lectures, but if that's not how you learn you are free to spend that time in the library, at starbucks, or at home in your underwear.
Some lectures are recorded, and we're supposed to get streaming lectures, but they've been saying that for years...though reportedly we now actually have the equipment.

OMM lectures are optional, but I HIGHLY advise AGAINST skipping them.

also: Mare Island is a popular site for movie filming: Twister and The Master (more recent film) were filmed here, as well as a few other films.

Any questions you have I'll try to answer. I rarely get on here, but I'll try to pop on from time to time during study breaks. I love the campus, and this school. The people in our class, at least, are the exact opposite of your typical pre-med gunner stereotypes. We collaborate, work as a group to divide up objectives and tutor one another with regularity. It gives me some hope for the future of medicine.

The non-gunner feel of Touro-CA is exactly what attracted me to it when I was applying and making my decision... it's still one of my favorite things about this school.

Hey guys, I had my interview on 1/7. They told us that the committee will meet on the 16th and result should be out by the 17th. Did any of my fellow interviewees received any email from them yet?

I received an interview invite 1/10 and declined the invitation and withdrew my application this week.

Hopefully someone will get my interview slot.

I'm starting to think I won't get an interview. It's pretty late and was complete before some people here announcing interview invites.

Reactions: 2 users
So apparently they only send email to those that request it. Just got my acceptance letter in the mail last night!

I'm starting to think I won't get an interview. It's pretty late and was complete before some people here announcing interview invites.

Don't lose hope. The good thing about DO schools is that the interview goes pretty late into the cycle. So don't give up!!!

Don't lose hope. The good thing about DO schools is that the interview goes pretty late into the cycle. So don't give up!!!
Well congrats to you! I too have hoped to hear something.

Yeah, is it possible to get an interview without an update letter expressing interest? I mean I'm open to doing that....

Yeah, is it possible to get an interview without an update letter expressing interest? I mean I'm open to doing that....
I encourage you to sent an update and interest letter. I got my interview one week after sending LOI/ LOUpdate.

Has anyone emailed admissions to check on the status of their application? I really don't want to be that pest who emails asking about the status of an application but the Touro-CA website says "To check the status of your application (e.g., confirm receipt of letters/documents, check on interview eligibility, etc.),". So I am a little weary that if I were to ask about "interview eligibility" that it would look terrible and they would find me annoying. Just a side note, I have not done this and have been complete since the beginning of November. I know patience is best and want to be cautious with any admissions office contact.

Hi everyone! I am interviewing on 2/10 and was wondering if anyone is down to stay at the Marriott and split a room with me. I do not mind taking the sofabed. The room is $109, so it will be around $60 each after tax and fees. Let me know? My email is [email protected]. Thanks!

Has anyone emailed admissions to check on the status of their application? I really don't want to be that pest who emails asking about the status of an application but the Touro-CA website says "To check the status of your application (e.g., confirm receipt of letters/documents, check on interview eligibility, etc.),". So I am a little weary that if I were to ask about "interview eligibility" that it would look terrible and they would find me annoying. Just a side note, I have not done this and have been complete since the beginning of November. I know patience is best and want to be cautious with any admissions office contact.
I have been wondering the same thing. Tempted to just inquire on my status, but I don't want to be a pest either. Did you end up emailing?

I have been wondering the same thing. Tempted to just inquire on my status, but I don't want to be a pest either. Did you end up emailing?
I ended up emailing admissions and they essentially sent me the same exact email for when I was complete . It just says that you are still under review. So, it doesn't hurt to email but expect to get the "complete" email again.

Hi everyone!! What is the interview format here? Is it MMI or a traditional interview with a panel? Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi everyone!! What is the interview format here? Is it MMI or a traditional interview with a panel? Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

It's a group panel interview, the interviewers address each student with their questions so it's not a crazy free for all kinda group interview but you do interview with other students listening next to you.

The interview is panel and group interview. Just be confident no matter what happens. It is not a hard interview!

Thanks for any input!

I received an interview invite today shortly after sending an update. I had been complete since the second week of September so I figure I probably got passed over the first time around.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how you guys submitted your deposit. Are we just supposed to fill out the paper forms with our credit card info and mail? Is there a quicker and more efficient way to do this?

Thanks!