William Carey (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the end of the Spring you will receive matriculation packets! Go travel, work, do anything but study! :) Congratulations!!

Thanks..

What about the disaster prep course? Can anyone comment on that? And what about foreign missions?

These are the things that attracted me to WCUCOM so any info would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

TO ALL CONSIDERING WCUCOM: IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO READ THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE!!!

This article is a Hattiesburg newspaper article reporting on the recent TERMINATIONS of two WCUCOM professors.

Also know that Dr. Bailey was recently nominated as TEACHER OF THE YEAR, and that both are known to be student advocates.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a...=2012312030009

Dude you are courageous, you know If the school ever finds out who you are you're toast. Honestly, Im from Mississippi and got my bachelors from Southern Miss. WCU COM seems to me, to be run like a business, a facist business that will crush anybody that opposes what those in charge want. I would be careful about attending any new COM in the deep south. The schools are private and they have the freedom to be as tyrannical as they want. Between this and the crap ACOM is going through with their Dean being arrested for drunk driving and taking away student acceptances after they paid their deposit I wouldn't risk it.

About name calling: I only spoke the truth. You should try it sometime.

Here's a question for you. This question could easily be one that is being asked in the minds of potential applicants:

Lets say you had the option of attending one of two schools one being established and one being WCUCOM. Lets give them equal general pros and cons. But then you hear about:

1.) the current termination scandal,
2.) the pass percentage of 71-72%,
3.) recent resignation of the head of 3rd and 4th year rotations,
4.) the negative comments on here which mostly have been fact checked

What would you do?

You have already interviewed and only talked to Welcoming Committee.

I don't expect you to answer this truthfully, because then you would not be fulfilling your role as a WCUCOM sugar-coater

Is that 71-72% the board pass rate? If so wtf?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Congrats! (the 20% allowance on attendance lets you get that time to stay home and study, like you are wanting. I definitely use all of it :) )

Let us know if you need any help!
is buying a tablet worth it since all books are electronic or is a laptop fine?

Dude you are courageous, you know If the school ever finds out who you are you're toast. Honestly, Im from Mississippi and got my bachelors from Southern Miss. WCU COM seems to me, to be run like a business, a facist business that will crush anybody that opposes what those in charge want. I would be careful about attending any new COM in the deep south. The schools are private and they have the freedom to be as tyrannical as they want. Between this and the crap ACOM is going through with their Dean being arrested for drunk driving and taking away student acceptances after they paid their deposit I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks......I guess

They can be tyrannical, but you know the saying, Live by the sword, die by the sword....They are definitely living by the sword here and are now attempting suicide. I can't sit by and let others step into this mess. Everyone deserves transparency, even those applicants who would have me sent to the guillotine for ruining their fairytale of a wonderful medical school that accepts low MCATs. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Yes 71-72% was their pass rate on comlex Level 1.

I hope you are not considering WCUCOM after already knowing what you are getting into. If you are, and you get accepted, start studying now for the boards. Don't burn yourself out, but definitely start familiarizing your self with high yield material. Don't listen to the ones that say don't study because now, deep down, they wish they would have started as soon as they got their acceptance letter.

Good Luck to you

Last edited:
is buying a tablet worth it since all books are electronic or is a laptop fine?

I use just a laptop. I have a MacBook Pro, and love it. I know a lot of people have iPads, and they find it really helpful when they travel and other stuff. So, it's really up to you. If you are trying to not spend money, then you'll be perfectly fine without one. But if you'd like to get one, it's useful. Just depends on your study style.

Thanks......I guess

They can be tyrannical, but you know the saying, Live by the sword, die by the sword....They are definitely living by the sword here and are now attempting suicide. I can't sit by and let others step into this mess. Everyone deserves transparency, even those applicants who would have me sent to the guillotine for ruining their fairytale of a wonderful medical school that accepts low MCATs. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I hope you are not considering WCUCOM after already knowing what you are getting into. If you are, and you get accepted, start studying now for the boards. Don't burn yourself out, but definitely start familiarizing your self with high yield material. Don't listen to the ones that say don't study because now, deep down, they wish they would have started as soon as they got their acceptance letter.

Good Luck to you

Dont wish to start another argument (clearly this thread has enough of those) and I will first say that I am not a med student so my knowledge is somewhat limited on this but..
seriously? study for the boards before even matriculating? I feel you are being a bit dramatic. Students pass their boards every year without starting early.

Dont wish to start another argument (clearly this thread has enough of those) and I will first say that I am not a med student so my knowledge is somewhat limited on this but..
seriously? study for the boards before even matriculating? I feel you are being a bit dramatic. Students pass their boards every year without starting early.

Some people want to pass, and others want to do something other than physical or family medicine. Plus, learning the way they force you to learn here will set you up for board exam trouble, look at the results. And don't think you will have plenty of time for extra board study. You are on the right track by doing research on different schools, something I wish I would have done.

I wish you the best on your journey into the field of medicine.

This is only my point of view; it is very impulsive to terminate a professor when the semester is not even over. There is only a few weeks left before Winter Break. A question arises to me, who WCUCOM are more focus on. This is my last time mentioned on WCUCOM page. Deposit is due next week for me.
More than just impulsive, they really mishandled the situation. And I really believe they need to work on dispelling the communicate barrier that exists between the admin & the students. This is not the first time something happened, & the students are left in the dark. When something big like this happens, you need send a mass email to the entire student body and/or formally address us in class explaining what happened. It just looks bad when you try to keep something like this quiet. And whatever became of the meeting between King & the SGA president? It’s not a good sign that we still haven’t received an update.

Thanks......I guess

They can be tyrannical, but you know the saying, Live by the sword, die by the sword....They are definitely living by the sword here and are now attempting suicide. I can't sit by and let others step into this mess. Everyone deserves transparency, even those applicants who would have me sent to the guillotine for ruining their fairytale of a wonderful medical school that accepts low MCATs. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck to you

Hân hạnh gặp ông

Anyone starting here in the summer 2013 looking for a roomate? I will be starting August 2013 and would like to have a roomate(s).

PM me if you are interested.

What about the disaster prep course? Can anyone comment on that? And what about foreign missions?

These are some of the things that attracted me to WCUCOM so any info would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are accepted here, go for it! The school will be accredited, there is vastly too much money involved now for that to fail.
Pouring money into something does not always guarantee success.

Don't let SDN or anyone else convince you of how to handle your future.
No, but at the same time, don't be so adamant on going down a certain path that you completely ignore tips/advice from others.

Looking at this from both sides of the acceptance, I can say with the amount of studying and time spent with school, I really don't know how people have time to get on here as medical students and bash their school, another school, and anything else.
But it doesn't baffle you how some people could find time to go on these forums and defend this school to the end? Just like w/ anything, you will find time to do the things that are important to you. The same way you found time to come on here to write this essay of a response.

If you spent that same time studying and trying to master different topics, maybe things would be different.
I don't think so. My performance in school will not have improved the first year's step 1 pass rate, it will have no effect on Drs. Evan & Bailey's termination, it will definitely not have change the attendance policy nor any of the other policies of the school. In short, there is no relationship whatsoever. The problem lies directly w/ certain people in power running a medical school who have no business running a school.

If you choose to settle for mediocrity, that's what you'll get.
EXACTLY! Don't choose WCUCOM=mediocrity. Shoot for the stars.

I don't want to sound self-righteous, but complaining about something vastly out of your control and then attempting to fix the problem when you've got all your block exams coming up, and a year from now you'll not even remember any of this, isn't productive use of your time in my opinion. Spend that time doing what you came here to do, learn!
Sitting idly by and taking it up the rear is not going to help the situation any better, imo.

I'll close with this, Dr. B is a wonderful man, great teacher, and student ally. There are few teachers that have his gift, but after all this is academia, and you have to watch your move at all times in that environment. He didn't deserve the punishment, but unfortunately the sentence has already been cast. If he's the type of man I know he is, he'll move on and hope that we move on. It seems some aren't ready to do that. I can't speak of the other professor, as I hadn't had him in lecture.
I don't think anybody can say for sure what those 2 professors would want. In the article, Dr. Evans was quoted asking Dr. Lovins many times, 'What's the reason?' [for the termination]. That doesn't sound like someone who quickly moved on. Until we understand what happened, I don't think anybody could truly move on. We owe it to those 2 guys to figure out what happened.

I hope this gives any future applicants an objective insight into the current situation at WCUCOM. I don't think there are any discrepancies in course material. It is there and sure we have to sift through some long-winded lectures, but if you want to learn medicine, it is being taught here. Overall, I'm happy, I like most of the faculty and most importantly, I was able to pursue a career in medicine in my home stateThat's pretty awesome if you ask me.
No, you gave a subjective insight. The same way all my responses are informed by my experiences and thus are also subjective. Again I disagree; there will always be discrepancies in course material. You will read one thing from one textbook and get something different from from another book. Powerpoints will always have typos and errors. Playing the detective and attaching all the right pieces together though is one of the joys of medicine.

How many people are accepted off of the deferred list, every year? Is anyone ever accepted from that list before May?

Is it too late to apply here? :scared:
How many seats are left for this cycle?

I was notified of my acceptance about 2 months ago, but haven't heard much else from them since. Does anyone know if a Facebook page has been created for class of 2017?

For current WCU-COM students, any advice on what I should be doing to prepare myself for August? I graduated this past May and currently work full time, but I'm starting to get bored with no school work!! :yawn:

Is there a class of 2017 Facebook group?

I don't think there is a group for the class of 2017 yet. If you all want, I can start one and once the group gets going, someone from your class can take over as admin.

I was notified of my acceptance about 2 months ago, but haven't heard much else from them since. Does anyone know if a Facebook page has been created for class of 2017?

For current WCU-COM students, any advice on what I should be doing to prepare myself for August? I graduated this past May and currently work full time, but I'm starting to get bored with no school work!! :yawn:

Congrats on your acceptance!

In terms of preparation, try to enjoy your break before school starts. Don't study too much in advance because you do not want to study materials that might not be covered. Plus, it is good to see how a professor teaches/tests so that you can see what the best method to study for a course is.

What I do suggest is to look for scholarships and apply to as many as possible. Medical school is expensive and WCU doesn't give scholarships to 1st year students. Apply now before deadline approaches because they usually have deadlines before June 2013. If you are interested in research, apply for a position at a medical school. I know some medical school have programs for incoming medical students who wants experience in translational research.

Hey. Anyone know what the current students have matched into? Anyone looking into ortho surgery? I'm thinking about HPSP, anyone at WCUCOM doing it?

Hey. Anyone know what the current students have matched into? Anyone looking into ortho surgery? I'm thinking about HPSP, anyone at WCUCOM doing it?

WCUCOM hasn't had a graduating class yet. I think the most advanced class is OMS3. They won't match until next year.

WCUCOM hasn't had a graduating class yet. I think the most advanced class is OMS3. They won't match until next year.
That is true. Also, I'm not sure about this, but isn't it extremely difficult anyways for DOs to go into such competitive fields? I feel like the MD-DO bias causes most DOs to go into primary care since surgery (especially ortho surgery) residencies favor MDs? Just curious.

It depends on your board scores and rotation scores. Not too much bias anymore.

Anyone matriculating this coming year know where they are living yet? Im looking for a couple of roomates when I scope out housing in Hattiesburg this summer...

Anyone matriculating this coming year know where they are living yet? Im looking for a couple of roomates when I scope out housing in Hattiesburg this summer...

I plan On moving to Hattie the first of June. I haven't looked for a place yet but I lived there for college so I know the area. I haven't decided of I am going to get a roommate, but I'm open to it.

Got my interview tomorrow, anyone else here have one? Very excited about it.

so any of you OMS3 and OMS4 out there wanna share your rotation stories? what are some of you elective rotations you have done or are set up?

Those of us in the first class are only OMS III's at this point. The way our rotations are set up, our 3rd year is all core rotations (IM, surgery, peds, OB, FM, ER, & psych) no electives allowed. Then our 4th year is all electives, we can go wherever we want & do whatever specialty we want with certain restrictions on how many rotations we do in a certain specialty.

I just received an interview invitation to WCU-COM, and I am really excited! I am interviewing on 2/8, is there anyone else on here that is also interviewing on that day? Also, is it true from what I have read that they don't interview many people and accept about 75% of the people that they interview? Thanks in advance!

just got an interview invite from WCU.... will be withdrawing.. attending elsewhere.
i applied here and was complete back in like early AUGUST and am from TX.

hope it goes to one of you guys:thumbup:

WCUCOM only interviews candidates that we feel fit the mission of the school and have at least the minimum on paper academic credentials required for eventual success. This, to us, is important. We are still new, still without a graduating class (soon!); but we believe, sincerely, that our mission is not only appropriate and important, but clearly practical and doable.

Contributing here as a senior faculty member, 35 plus years' experience in medical school education, and a member of the WCUCOM Admissions Committee since the very existence of the school.

Regarding some of the invective posted earlier on this thread? Apply? Get invited for an interview? Come on down, meet us and ask US directly in person. US = faculty and students and administrators. Make your decisions based upon face-to-face data collection, not mere internet babble. YOUR career stands in the balance - give yourself every chance to make a truly informed decision - WCUCOM yes, or for you, WCUCOM no.

Come Join Us.

Last edited:
WCUCOM only interviews candidates that we feel fit the mission of the school and have at least the minimum on paper academic credentials required for eventual success. This, to us, is important. We are still new, still without a graduating class (soon!); but we believe, sincerely, that our mission is not only appropriate and important, but clearly practical and doable.

Contributing here as a senior faculty member, 35 plus years' experience in medical school education, and a member of the WCUCOM Admissions Committee since the very existence of the school.

Regarding some of the invective posted earlier on this thread? Apply? Get invited for an interview? Come on down, meet us and ask US directly in person. US = faculty and students and administrators. Make your decisions based upon face-to-face data collection, not mere internet babble. YOUR career stands in the balance - give yourself every chance to make a truly informed decision - WCUCOM yes, or for you, WCUCOM no.

Come Join Us.

*like*

Thanks for posting this! I, for one, believe med school will be what you make it. I am certain all of the professors are competent in their fields and there are multitudes of resources for board prep. Being a new school, we will have to work hard, as students, to make the reputation of WCUCOM what we want it to be-a top DO school in the southeast that produces competent and fantastic physicians.

So how do the hub sites work for rotations? Do you choose where you want to go or are you assigned randomly? By preference?

Are you going to be looking for a roomate or know any new students who will be?

Yes, I'll be looking for a roommate most likely. I haven't looked for housing yet though. I will probably start looking for housing in April and move to Hattie at the end of May/beginning of June.

Each student ranks his or her top 3 choices of hub site and submits it to the administration. The goal is that every student will get one of their top 3 sites. In the current 3rd year class most students got their 1st choice and only one student had to go to a site not in their top 3. The OMS II's are going through the process right now and they don't have their results yet.

Each student ranks his or her top 3 choices of hub site and submits it to the administration. The goal is that every student will get one of their top 3 sites. In the current 3rd year class most students got their 1st choice and only one student had to go to a site not in their top 3. The OMS II's are going through the process right now and they don't have their results yet.

Where are the hub sites? Is there a list? What are the quality of the sites?

Interview for Feb 25th!! Yay! Anyone have any insight on the interview day??

Have fun, be yourself, and talk to the students and other interviewees. We had a great time there.

Interview for Feb 25th!! Yay! Anyone have any insight on the interview day??

Very easy going. Look at the interview feedback section on this website. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I have not been able to shadow a DO. I had an interview in December; and, my application is deferred, for now. My question is, is it still worth shadowing a DO, at the end of this quarter (end of February), then sending an update to the school, if I have not heard anything? I would like to shadow a DO anyway. However, my kids schedules, along with mine, make that really hard, as I would have to drive almost an hour to shadow a DO. I would like to wait until I graduate to do more shadowing (if I am not accepted), so that I would have more time to do it. I am really trying to enjoy my children as much as I can now. I realize once I start medical school time is going to be even more crunched, and time with them will decrease. I am prepared for that. I just think that I should spend as much time with them as possible while working on my undergrad, and I can. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

I have not been able to shadow a DO. I had an interview in December; and, my application is deferred, for now. My question is, is it still worth shadowing a DO, at the end of this quarter (end of February), then sending an update to the school, if I have not heard anything? I would like to shadow a DO anyway. However, my kids schedules, along with mine, make that really hard, as I would have to drive almost an hour to shadow a DO. I would like to wait until I graduate to do more shadowing (if I am not accepted), so that I would have more time to do it. I am really trying to enjoy my children as much as I can now. I realize once I start medical school time is going to be even more crunched, and time with them will decrease. I am prepared for that. I just think that I should spend as much time with them as possible while working on my undergrad, and I can. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

I would still try to work it in.

Anybody has info about any opportunities or programs this summer after completing the 1st year. And how are the 3rd years doing at the rotations and what are hub sites?

I got an interview invite today for March 25th!!
Anyone else have one that day??

And does anyone know if the class would be full by then? I don't want to get my hopes up too high...but I am really excited!!!!

I got an interview invite today for March 25th!!
Anyone else have one that day??

And does anyone know if the class would be full by then? I don't want to get my hopes up too high...but I am really excited!!!!

It should not be full.